╌>

New Mexico investigating suspected fatal poisoning from ivermectin

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  33 comments

By:   Algernon D'Ammassa (Las Cruces Sun-News)

New Mexico investigating suspected fatal poisoning from ivermectin
New Mexico's leading health official said one individual was dead and another in critical condition, both suspected of self-dosing ivermectin.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Acting Health Secretary Scrase decries false information stoking drug's 'cult following'

Algernon D'AmmassaLas Cruces Sun-News

DEMING - New Mexico's acting Health Secretary came down hard Wednesday on unfounded claims that the drug Ivermectin is a suitable treatment for COVID-19 disease.

During a weekly update on the state's COVID-19 cases and response, state Human Services Secretary Dr. David Scrase, temporarily heading the state health department as well, said clinicians were investigating what was likely the state's first fatal case of an individual dosing themselves with the drug, while a suspected second case was in critical condition.

"I'd like people to know, if they're out there taking it, it can kill them," Scrase said.

'You are not a horse.' FDA warns against use of ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19

He stressed that it might take weeks to confirm that ivermectin was the cause of the individual's death, but his expectation was that it would be confirmed, while another severely ill patient was suspected of taking the drug.

That patient was being treated in an ICU bed at a time when the state's hospital system is on the cusp of crisis standards of care, with some hospitals overfull and ICU beds and ventilators in short supply.

Scrase did not provide the locations of the cases or other details.

Ivermectin not approved for COVID-19 treatment

Ivermectin is occasionally prescribed for humans in specific doses for certain parasitic worms, skin conditions and head lice, either in pills or topical agents, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

It is also used in veterinary medicine for treating parasites in livestock and dogs. Formulations for treating animals, being highly concentrated, often prove toxic for humans. The New Mexico Department of Health also reports it can interact with other human medications and induce symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, reduced blood pressure and other side effects.

During the summer wave of COVID-19 cases driven by the highly contagious delta variant, more states have reported treatment of patients, including hospitalizations, for self-dosing of ivermectin. Overdoses of the drug are associated with seizures, coma and death.

It is not an antiviral drug and the FDA has not approved it for treatment of COVID-19.

Poison control centers see spike in calls about ivermectin

During the pandemic, however, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that pharmacies are seeing spikes in demand for the drug, including veterinary formulations, leading to a tripling of calls to poison control centers.

While initial research into potential benefits as a treatment is underway, the National Institutes of Health said in February "there is insufficient evidence … to recommend either for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19" absent rigorous clinical trials.

"There's a cult following for this drug," Scrase said Wednesday. "We don't think there's evidence for it to be effective in treating COVID by any stretch of the imagination."

Southern New Mexico congresswoman Yvette Herrell, a Republican, is the state's highest elected official who has advocated for researching the drug and has accused Democrats of playing politics with medicine.

During an appearance Tuesday outside Holloman Air Force Base, Herrell was asked about ivermectin and replied, "I'm a huge proponent, under a doctor's orders, to try whatever other alternative there is."

Fact check:Ivermectin is not a proven treatment for COVID-19

'Don't take this medicine'

Pressed on the FDA's recommendation that it not be used as a treatment for COVID-19, Herrell replied, "We have over 180 million Americans that were vaccinated with a vaccine that wasn't FDA approved, so I think we should have options to whatever we want through the consultation of our doctors."

The three vaccines in use in the United States for COVID-19 received emergency use authorizations by the FDA in a process that involves rigorous clinical trials. The first of those to receive full approval was the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine approved on Aug. 23.

As of Wednesday, the CDC reported that 177 million Americans had completed a course of vaccine, while 208 million had received at least the initial dose of a two-shot vaccine or the single-dose Johnson and Johnson product.

Scrase decried widespread confusion and misinformation involving ivermectin and other non-approved treatments as well as COVID-19 vaccines.

"If you're a human being and you can hear this press conference, don't take this medicine," Scrase said.

Cases of ivermectin poisoning should be reported to the state poison control center via 800-222-1222, he said.

Algernon D'Ammassa can be reached at 575-541-5451, adammassa@lcsun-news.com or @AlgernonWrites on Twitter.

View CommentsView Comments

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

And along comes our not-so-favorite school marm to post that stupid link again about there is no truth to hospitals being overwhelmed in Oklahoma.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    3 years ago

She inspires me to gig them about Ivermectin.

original

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    3 years ago

"Give me drugs back, Granny!"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    3 years ago

Removed for context

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    3 years ago

Yep. Nobody is taking ivermectin as a covid treatment. Nobody.....oh that's sarcasm for the sarcasm challenged

this is for the peanut gallery...I can read your comments in my private notes so I know what you're saying, even tho I've told the both of that you're on ignore. I know the story about hospitals in OK being overwhelmed with people poisoning themselves is fake. It was a jab at someone. If you can't understand what a jab is I suggest you do more reading. Reading is good for your brain and your soul. And the both of you need all the soul food you can get

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    3 years ago

I’d be much happier seeing them take a vaccine.  Since they won’t then it’s just natural to find satisfaction in any means to reduce the spread.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.8    3 years ago

I hope they take the vaccine too, but still won't cheer death if they don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    3 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    3 years ago

a gofundme account to fund shipping every dipshit that wants ivermectin would be cool.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.11    3 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.14  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    3 years ago

okay then, what's your address?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.14    3 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.16  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.15    3 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.16    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.14    3 years ago

Send some old Obama, Hillary, and Biden signs too, I need some new targets!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    3 years ago

A lot of shitheads are touting Ivermectin as a treatment/cure for Co-Vid - like that dickhead Joe Rogan and scumbag Alex Jones.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago
A lot of shitheads are touting Ivermectin as a treatment/cure for Co-Vid - like that dickhead Joe Rogan and scumbag Alex Jones.

Saw an interesting article about the origin of Ivermectin for COVID belief.  Apparently it was a study from Australia that discovered that, in a petri dish, Ivermectin killed the COVID virus.

BUT

It was never studied in a person, only a petri dish, and the amount of Ivermectin that was necessary to kill the virus would also kill the person.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    3 years ago
It was never studied in a person, only a petri dish, and the amount of Ivermectin that was necessary to kill the virus would also kill the person.

Well, you know what happens when you live in a society that is anti-intellectual and anti-science. They don't equate dosages with body weight.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    3 years ago
They don't equate dosages with body weight.

Details....details....details.  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 years ago

Surely they've been to the doctor and get their weight measured. That's if the doctor needs to prescribe meds. Must have the exact dosage appropriate to one's weight

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    3 years ago

original

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    3 years ago

meh, if you're as dumb as a horses ass, you should take a full dose...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.1.5    3 years ago

I have my moments where I'm dumber but still not dumb enough to take this stuff

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    3 years ago

Surely they've been to the doctor and get their weight measured. That's if the doctor needs to prescribe meds. Must have the exact dosage appropriate to one's weight

Your weight won't matter if the amount of Ivermectin necessary to kill the virus is fundamentally a deadly amount.  Any amount safe for you to take, won't make any difference, assuming it would effect the virus inside the human body at all.

Just read the article I linked.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.6    3 years ago
I have my moments where I'm dumber but still not dumb enough to take this stuff

You have to wonder about these people that refuse to believe what the doctors say, and would rather believe someone with no medical experience or training, off right wing radio.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

On the plus side he did not have worms.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago

original