╌>

Manchin responds to Ocasio-Cortez tweet: 'Continue to divide, divide, divide' | TheHill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  32 comments

By:   Mychael Schnell (TheHill)

Manchin responds to Ocasio-Cortez tweet: 'Continue to divide, divide, divide' | TheHill
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Sunday responded to criticism from Rep.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sen.  Joe Manchin  (D-W.Va.) on Sunday responded to criticism from Rep.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez  (D-N.Y.), who claimed in a tweet that Manchin has huddled "weekly" with personnel from Exxon, contending that such attacks “continue to divide, divide, divide.”

During an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," Manchin denied having any such meetings with Exxon or other fossil fuel lobbyists.

"Absolutely not. Absolutely not," Manchin told host Dana BashDana BashThe Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Questions on Biden agenda; unemployment benefits to end Supreme Court ruling on Texas abortion law rattles lawmakersKlobuchar points to Texas abortion law in discussing potential Breyer retirementMORE. "I keep my door open for everybody. It's totally false."

He also said "superlatives" such as the one used by Ocasio-Cortez are "just awful" and "continue to divide, divide, divide."

"I don't know that young lady that well. I really don't. I have met her one time, I think, between sets here. But that's it. So we have not had any conversations. She just speculating and saying things because she wants to," he added.

Ocasio-Cortez earlier this month tweeted in response to an op-ed in which Manchin said he would not support a $3.5 trillion spending bill, saying the senator "has weekly huddles w/ Exxon & is one of many senators who gives lobbyists their pen to write so-called 'bipartisan' fossil fuel bills."

"It's killing people. Our people. At least 12 last night. Sick of this 'bipartisan' corruption that masquerades as clear-eyed moderation," the progressive lawmaker added.

Manchin has weekly huddles w/ Exxon & is one of many senators who gives lobbyists their pen to write so-called "bipartisan" fossil fuel bills.
It's killing people. Our people. At least 12 last night. Sick of this "bipartisan" corruption that masquerades as clear-eyed moderation. https://t.co/KW8w7HUhvT

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) September 2, 2021

The criticism from Ocasio-Cortez was sparked by Manchin's opposition to a $3.5 trillion price tag for Democrats' reconciliation spending bill, which needs full support from the caucus to pass in the evenly divided Senate.

Democrats are looking to advance the package — which includes a number of  President Biden ’s legislative priorities for education, health care and child care — through reconciliation, which will allow the party to buck a Republican filibuster by requiring only a simple majority vote.

With that strategy, however, all Senate Democrats must remain banded together.

When pressed on Sunday by Bash on criticism from a number of Democrats that Manchin is opposing the bill because he is "bought and paid for by corporate donors," the senator said he is against the legislation "because it makes no sense at all."

"You're entitled to your own facts — I mean, your own opinions. You're just not entitled to create your own facts to support it. And that's exactly what they're doing," Manchin said.

Manchin previously called for a "pause" in deliberations on the reconciliation bill, which many of his colleagues in the upper chamber are against.

The Hill has reached out to Ocasio-Cortez's office for comment on Manchin's latest remarks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Manchin wants the compromise bill sitting in the House taken up and passed. AOC has threatened to deep-six the whole thing if she doesn't get the massive second bill as is.

Who will blink?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Democrats aren't even sure the Parliamentarian will allow them to put all their pet projects in the massive spending bill yet.

And it sure doesn't look like they will have the votes in the House or Senate to pass it anyways.

Win/win for the GOP and America.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago

I'm putting my money on the democrat moderates playing AOC. Let her kill it and let her take the blame.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago

Heck, someone will have to let AOC know when she gets outplayed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    3 years ago

She is a dumb ass. I love when she does those little video messages where she just says what ever is going through her little mind.

Like Biden, the day they gave out brains, she thought they said "trains" so she missed her's.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

I read today that Bernie Sanders also asked if it is appropriate for one person to kill two pieces of legislation. Meaning Manchin could kill the first infrastructure bill by not voting to pass the $3.5 trillion package. Looks like they are already lining up to push the blame for both failing on Manchin,  perhaps to try to get a progressive elected in his place?  Of course that would be a long wait as his seat doesn't come up for re-election until 2024.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

E_GwicHWQAs-feh?format=png&name=small

On CNN's "State of the Union," Manchin told host  Dana Bash  that he didn't support the timeline of voting on the measure this week so that the House could pass it by Sept. 27.

"There's no way we can get this done by the 27th if we do our job," he said.

Manchin added that Senate Majority Leader  Charles Schumer  (D-N.Y.) "will not have my vote, and Chuck knows that."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    3 years ago

If Democrats fail to pass it, it will be a dismal testimony to the power of current Democratic leadership.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

That deadline Pelosi set is all important. Once this thing goes unresolved beyond Sep 27th, it will lose stregth by the day. Maybe the nation will be spared. Next year will be an election year and democrats will be consumed with their fate.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    3 years ago

I believe the midterms are secure for the GOP no matter what Nancy does.

Time to retire her!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

The chances of a GOP landslide in 2022 are equal to Man O' War's in a claiming race. They can hold all the Jan 6th hearings they want.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3  Hallux    3 years ago

The Manchin family is in full throttle denial about a lot of things.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago

Pray tell what it is you think Joe Manchin is in denial about.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3.1.1    3 years ago

Well, that link is swell and all, but somehow doesn't say anything about Joe Manchin denying anything.

Kind of figured as much from the start.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago

Oh, let's smear Manchin's family!/s

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    3 years ago

His daughter is doing a fine job of that. I won't get in her way.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

It’s what she does.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5  Raven Wing    3 years ago

Joe Manchin is a DINO, a Trump ally running as a Dem as he knows he can't win in his area as a Republican. He is also living it up with his new found power to cripple Congress as he pleases and makes no intelligent alternative for the things he plots against.

Manchin has long been the Republican's go to when they don't want the mud to be on their faces. He really does not care about the good of the American people, just what star he can hang over his own head as being a foul to be Democrats, and the Republican love him.

He has no right to knock AOC or anyone else, as he is certainly earning his knocks by her and others.

JMOO

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Raven Wing @5    3 years ago

he's the head of a family of grifters, just like trump.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @5.1    3 years ago

Indeed that seems to be who he is playing to.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @5    3 years ago
Joe Manchin is a DINO, a Trump ally running as a Dem as he knows he can't win in his area as a Republican.

Seems like a very, very odd thing to claim, seeing as how the GOP has the trifecta in WV, meaning that a Republican can win there---as evidenced by all those GOP officeholders.

He is also living it up with his new found power to cripple Congress as he pleases and makes no intelligent alternative for the things he plots against.

He has one vote--like every other Senator.

Don't be mad just because he has enough sense to not rubberstamp the Democrats' wild spending plans.

AOC deserves almost every bit of criticism she gets.

I wonder why you don't chastise her for crippling Congress?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Is Manchin actually a Republican masquerading as a Democrat?  I wonder what will happen when HIS re-election time comes up.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    3 years ago
I wonder what will happen when HIS re-election time comes up.

That depends on how well he seves his constituents in the very red state of West Virginia.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    3 years ago

He may as well be kicked out of the Democrat Party (if that's possible).  He won't be more harm to the Party if he were an Independant.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    3 years ago
He may as well be kicked out of the Democrat Party (if that's possible).  He won't be more harm to the Party if he were an Independant.

I beg to differ.

Let them kick him out and that makes Mitch McConnell Senate Leader again.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    3 years ago

He's the Senate Leader now, as long as Manchin is a Senator.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.3    3 years ago

Hardly.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    3 years ago
He won't be more harm to the Party if he were an Independant.

The Dems won't kick him out, as they need his seat on their side. Even through he is a DINO, he does give the Dems one more count on their side.

It is funny to see him smiling and strutting around the Capitol, and it reminds me of 'The Kings New Clothes.' He will poke the wrong person the wrong way once too often and the results could wipe that smile off his smug face.

I don't think he will hold his seat very much longer. He will show his true colors soon, and the people of WV are not dumb, deaf or blind to the real world, and will make him the loser he truly is.

JMOO

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.5    3 years ago

I can't stand Manchin.  He's a prick.  Definitely a DINO.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    3 years ago
"Is Manchin actually a Republican masquerading as a Democrat? "

Yes, Buzz, I believe he is.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7  Ronin2    3 years ago

This may be the only time I ever support AOC. She needs to stick to her guns; and Manchin needs to stick to his (he never should have voted for the bill to send it to reconciliation to begin with).

She can kill both of these inflation dumpster fire "infrastructure" bills at the same time; and save the US from Democrat stupidity. It will be unintentional; but she deserves the credit for being a complete and utter moron just the same.