╌>

Former NHL Hockey Player Sues American Airlines Claiming Assault by Flight Attendant

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  3 years ago  •  29 comments

By:   MSN

Former NHL Hockey Player Sues American Airlines Claiming Assault by Flight Attendant
A former NHL hockey player has sued American Airlines, claiming he "was the victim of an unprovoked battery" by a flight attendant before a trip in July. Jean-Francois Jomphe, who played parts of four seasons in the NHL for three teams, said he was flying from Kansas City to Phoenix on July 22 when flight attendant Mario Labault "hit Jomphe...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A former NHL hockey player has sued American Airlines, claiming he "was the victim of an unprovoked battery" by a flight attendant before a trip in July.

© Provided by NBC Dallas

Right wing Jean-Francois Jomphe of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in action during a game against the Phoenix Coyotes at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, Calif. on Apr. 1, 1998. The Coyotes defeated the Mighty Ducks 5-1.

Jean-Francois Jomphe, who played parts of four seasons in the NHL for three teams, said he was flying from Kansas City to Phoenix on July 22 when flight attendant Mario Labault "hit Jomphe very hard on his left shoulder, telling him to remove his foot from the bulkhead wall," according to a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in central California.

Jomphe said he was resting his foot on the partition between sections of the plane to "avoid blood clots and discomfort" following recent surgery and claims he had done so frequently on recent American Airlines flights.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

Hockey is one of the top ten most violent sports on the planet and he's suing AA over this little bit of drama?

Two words:  Titty.  Baby.

Source

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    3 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Seriously????

Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
Seriously????

I know, right?  Ten bucks says he's had half his teeth knocked out when he was playing, and those were probably the mildest injuries he received during his career.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

I don’t know why but reading this brought a WKUK skit to mind.

Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

Sounds like he kinda sucked at the sport and needs some money.

Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago
Sounds like he kinda sucked at the sport and needs some money .

You are probably right.  Also noteworthy, he certainly wasn't wimpy when he dished it out.  From Mugshots.com:

JEAN FRANCOIS JOMPHE:  FORMER ANAHEIM DUCK ARRESTED FOR SMASHING WINDOW OF CAR IN DRIVE-THRU LANE OF JACK IN THE BOX, REPORT SAYS  — 12/28/2012

Jean Francois Jomphe, 39, was arrested by the Laguna Beach Police Department on December 21, 2012 for suspicion of misdemeanor battery and vandalism. He and former Philadelphia Flyer, Richard Costello, 49, were involved in a late night disturbance at the drive-thru lane of a Jack In the Box restaurant. According to news reports, the taxi cab that the two former professional hockey players were riding in skipped the line in front of a VW Jetta full of young adults. One of the occupants allegedly made a hand gesture towards the cab to the effect of, 'Hey, what's up?"

Jomphe reportedly grew angry during the exchange, hopped out of the cab, and charged the VW Jetta. Costello exited the cab and attempted to restrain Jomphe, but not before he managed to shatter the back window of the vehicle. At that point, a bystander tried to be a peace maker and get both Jomphe and Costello back into the cab. Costello then allegedly became the aggressor trying to punch and kick the good Samaritan.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

For a man who hits others for a living, I kinda go "meh"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    3 years ago

There are very few, if any, 49 year old professional hockey players.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Does he want some cheese with that whine?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7  Ronin2    3 years ago

So a former professional hockey player is supposed to put up with a physical assault? He doesn't get the same protections under the law that everyone else does?

If he was assaulted he has every right to sue both the airline and the attendant that assaulted him.

The airline and attendant will have their day in court. I am sure the airline has far more lawyers than some former hockey player I have never heard of.

evilone
Professor Guide
8  evilone    3 years ago

Did the guy file a police report or report the incident directly to AA? If not then I doubt he's got much of a case.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @8    3 years ago

Perhaps he didn;t file immediately out of a sense of shame or embarrassment.

Are we to believe victims of assault or not?

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1.1  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    3 years ago
Are we to believe victims of assault or not?

Our belief is irrelevant. As the article was about a lawsuit, can he prove his case or not? There are scant details in the seeded article, which is why I was musing the question.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @8.1.1    3 years ago

Good questions, but I already outlined possible reasons he may not have reported it.

I just want to know what are the standards to go by on whether we believe people claiming to be victims of assault or not.

I have been told that not reporting attacks is acceptable, depending on who the victim is.

I have also been told that the current or past occupation of the victim is not supposed to be a factor in believing victims or not.

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1.3  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.2    3 years ago
I already outlined possible reasons he may not have reported it.

I'd rather not speculate. 

I just want to know what are the standards to go by on whether we believe people claiming to be victims of assault or not.

As you allude to that seems to be a shifting target with the rise of left & right populist movements. Personally I like a bit more information before I form an opinion. We shouldn't condone a quick rejection nor the automatic acceptance of a declarative statement without evidence, but here we are.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10  Texan1211    3 years ago

It does seem rather odd that some folks are willing to look the other way on assault based solely on the victim's past vocation.

Kind of blaming the victim mentality displayed.