╌>

Senator Sinema to Nancy Pelosi: Break Your Word on Infrastructure, and I'm Out

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Charles C. W. Cooke (National Review)

Senator Sinema to Nancy Pelosi: Break Your Word on Infrastructure, and I'm Out
I have long been baffled by the idea that "spend $3.5 trillion or we won't let you spend $1 trillion" would be a convincing argument to the non-crazies. Perhaps it's actually not.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Hot on the heels of Senator Manchin's "Whoa, Nelly," Politico reports that Senator Sinema has told Joe Biden that she's aware of the game being played by Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, and she's having none of it:

MODS TO BIDEN: BIF NOW OR BUST — Sen. KYRSTEN SINEMA (D-Ariz.) delivered a tough message to President JOE BIDEN at a private meeting Wednesday, we're told:If the House delays its scheduled Sept. 27 vote on the bipartisan infrastructure plan — or if the vote fails — she won't be backing a reconciliation bill.

Sinema is not the only moderate taking this stand. Rep. KURT SCHRADER (D-Ore.) — one of approximately 10 moderate Democratic House members playing hardball with leadership — said he and several members of their group are on the same page. Some of the lawmakers have conveyed that message up the chain to leadership and the White House. A senior Democratic aide confirmed the warnings.

"If they delay the vote — or it goes down — then I think you can kiss reconciliation goodbye," Schrader told Playbook. "Reconciliation would be dead."

Or, to put it another way:

INSIDE THE MODS' CALCULATION: Progressives think if they band together and threaten to kill the infrastructure bill, it will convince moderate members to go along with the larger reconciliation package. But multiple sources — including a senior Democratic aide and several in the centrist camp — tell us the left is misreading their colleagues. The upshot: Some moderates privately have decided that no infrastructure bill is better than one that's paired with $3.5 trillion in spending.

I have long been baffled by the idea that "spend $3.5 trillion or we won't let you spend $1 trillion" would be a convincing argument to the non-crazies. Perhaps it's actually not.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Sinema is taking a courageous stand. She put on her high heels and just raised AOC on the bipartisan infrastructure plan. Pelosi may be boxed in. 

It's getting interesting!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

I really hope she's sincere and it's not just another smoke screen .......

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @1.2    3 years ago

We may find out as soon as Monday

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

A Promise made by Biden...

1. .

May 22, 2021  · US President Joe Biden  promised to replenish  Israel's supply of  Iron Dome  interceptors and to help  rebuild  the Gaza Strip in a brief address he delivered at the White House shortly after the ...

A Promise BROKEN and "The Squad" (especially Tlaib and Omar) gets its wish - disarm Israel so Hamas can carry out its sworn mandate and slaughter Israelis.

House Democrats strip Iron Dome money from …

Sep 21, 2021  · House  Democrats  on Tuesday stripped $1 billion for Israel's  Iron Dome  defense system from its short-term government funding bill after backlash from progressives, people familiar with the decision tell Axios.Why it matters: There has never a situation where military aid for Israel was held up because of objections from members of Congress.

But I'm sure the Republicans will come to Israel's aid to prevent the slaughter.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

If those progressives are smart they will allow funding for Iron Dome.  Because if the terrorist missiles and rockets get through and kill Israeli civilians, the Israeli bombing of Gaza for rocket targets and retaliation will not be as restrained as before.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    3 years ago

A rare occasion these days that I agree with you. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    3 years ago

no problem, we'll spread the cost for it across the infrastructure, voting rights, and abortion rights bills.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    3 years ago

No problem they will get rejected and blamed on the Democrats.

Unlike Trump; Democrats don't do well with negative press. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.3    3 years ago
"and blamed on the Democrats".

What else is new?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    3 years ago

Three losing Democrat fantasies.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago
  1. Hamas stands absolutely no chance of eradicating Israel- unless they lay their hands on some tactical nuclear arms and can get them into Israel proper. Don't see any nuclear capable country giving them those. Their best bet would be dirty bombs from Iran. Even then they will suffer the fallout in Gaza and the West Bank. A lose/lose proposition for them
  2. Even w/o the Iron Dome Israel is more than capable of handling Hamas. Last I checked Hamas doesn't have tactical missiles, tanks, aircraft, or an organized military of any kind. If the bombing gets too intense then Israel levels large sections of Gaza- which they have done several times in the past. It isn't like the US is going to back any Security Council Resolutions that will damage Israel.
  3. Why are we paying 1 billion for a Israeli defense system? In fact the entire Israeli military funding should come under scrutiny. That goes for all aid going to any country; including the West Bank and Gaza Strip. We are digging ourselves ever deeper into debt; it is time to take care of ourselves first. Pretty sure Israel can afford their own defense system and military hardware if they get creative with their finances. They could cut funding and security to settlements in the West Bank for a start. As for the Palestinians, they have the rest of the Arab world; and Hamas has Iran to fund them. They don't need our money.
  4. As for the Democrats- screw them. They could care about saving US taxpayer dollars- which is what this should be about. It is all about the anti-Semitism of a few of their more radical members.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    3 years ago

1.  Hamas is not likely to eradicate Israel, but without replenishment of the Iron Dome missiles Hamas could do a lot of damage and kill a lot of people if they rain missiles into Israel.  

2.   Of course Israel would "get even" but that would be after lots of Israelis have been killed.

3.   Israel does not have nor is it able to produce what is necessary to replenish the Iron Dome system, America does. The billion dollar figure is not cash, it is the cost of the American hardware that only America can provide.  One billion dollars is chicken feed in the total American economy, and so what other nations that are of value to maintain as allies is America going to fuck?  Remember what Alexander Haig said, that Israel is like America having an American aircraft carrier in the Middle East that doesn't need one American on it. In the movie Schindler's List, at the end the Jews gave Schindler a gold ring that was engraved with the words from the Talmud: "To save one life is to save the world entire."  You seem to prefer to keep the money that would save even one life. 

4.   I think I made my feelings known about those Democrats who would prefer to see more Israelis killed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    3 years ago

I should add that the Iron Dome system is an ENTIRELY DEFENSIVE system.  It has no aggressive capability and is used only to prevent the missiles launched by others from reaching Israeli ground.  Nevertheless, the Jew-hating SQUAD would prefer to see more Jews dead.  Their motto, borrowed from Teddy Roosevelt could be:"The only good Jew is a dead Jew".  Bernie Sanders, a self-loathing Jew, a disgrace to the religion, should join their group.  IMO they POISON the Democrat Party, and the way they are coddled by the rest of the Party certainly turns me off.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.2    3 years ago

At this point Rosanna Dondanna would say "Never mind".  Congress has now passed a bill funding the billion dollars for the Iron Dome replenishment.

But that does not change my mind about "The Squad" and the others who coddle them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.3    3 years ago
But that does not change my mind about "The Squad" and the others who coddle them.

We don't agree on much but we agree on this.   And on the Iron Dome funding.   The USA spends multi billions on so many more worthless things than that i can't believe anyone would take issue with Iron Dome but such is the politics of the day for some people i suppose.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago

Good!   It is good to see senators behaving as critical thinkers rather than sheep to the leadership.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  TᵢG @3    3 years ago

Agreed!  The infrastructure bill that has passed is huge and should be celebrated, not held up!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1    3 years ago

Yes, actual infrastructure is needed and is (for a change) a proper use of tax dollars (even if borrowed from those not yet born).

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    3 years ago

Yes, exactly!  This is what 'We the Peoples' tax dollars should be going to .. America first is not necessarily a bad thing .. what is left after America is taken care of can be sent away to foreign countries ...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.1.2    3 years ago

Not necessarily so strictly, but our government typically does not do what is right for the people and the nation but rather do what will gain them political points or hurt the opposition.   Infrastructure (true infrastructure) is needed and right.   And, done properly, it pays for itself by the stronger economy it could enable.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.4  Colour Me Free  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    3 years ago
Infrastructure (true infrastructure) is needed and right.   And, done properly, it pays for itself by the stronger economy it could enable.

From your lips to the ears of the powers that be ... the boost to this nation would be huge.  'we' seem to do this status quo of 'if it is not broke, don't fix it' .... yet missing out on just because it functions does not mean it is not broken....!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

Who cares Sinema?  You and Manchin should GTFO!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @4    3 years ago

They should both become Republicans. That would flip the Senate and completely destroy the Democrats chances of passing anything; and getting judicial and other nominations through the Senate.

Have to love short sighted thinkers. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Tessylo @4    3 years ago

Hi Tess .. I do not understand why one would desire the moderates in Congress to leave .. the checks and balances of 'democracy' can only exist if there are individuals that hold the middle ground and keeps the extremes at bay

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    3 years ago

They're already DINOs.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya Senator.