╌>

Pelosi reverses on demand reconciliation passes with infrastructure, setting up clash with House progressives

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Tyler Olson (MSN)

Pelosi reverses on demand reconciliation passes with infrastructure, setting up clash with House progressives
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Monday night said that Democrats must pass the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill before the much larger reconciliation bill.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told Democrats in a caucus meeting late Monday that they must pass the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill this week before their massive reconciliation bill, a reversal of her past stance that could throw the passage of both into doubt.

Pelosi, D-Calif., was allied with progressive members of her party who for months were demanding that the reconciliation bill pass before infrastructure. She shifted that stance recently with the aim of uniting Democrats around a framework of a reconciliation bill - not fully passing it - before moving ahead with infrastructure.

But Monday night marked a full reversal for Pelosi, who said stubborn Senate moderates and the looming expiration of highway funds is forcing her hand.

"There are many things on the table, the Continuing Resolution, which expires September 30th, the highway reauthorization - authorization expires September 30th," Pelosi said at the meeting, according to a source familiar with her comments.

"But here's the thing: I told all of you that we wouldn't go on to the BIF [until] we had the reconciliation bill passed by the Senate. We were right on schedule to do all of that, until 10 days ago, a week ago, when I heard the news that this number had to come down," Pelosi added, according to the person familiar. "It all changed, so our approach had to change… We had to accommodate the changes that were being necessitated. And we cannot be ready to say until the Senate passed the bill, we can't do BIF."

BIF is Capitol Hill shorthand for the "Bipartisan Infrastructure Framework."

Pelosi emphasized that she is still committed to passing a reconciliation bill. "It isn't about diminishing the importance of the reconciliation," she said of the bill Democrats marked up at $3.5 trillion.

But the whiplash change in strategy is likely to upset progressives, who said for weeks they will vote against the infrastructure bill unless they have some kind of an agreement on the much more expensive reconciliation bill.

"I don't believe it'll [infrastructure bill] come for a vote unless we get the reconciliation bill done," Progressive Caucus Chair Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said Monday night. "So I don't think it's impossible that it's done by Thursday, that's what we're working towards and if that were to happen, than we'd be thrilled to vote for both."

Pressed further on whether progressives will withhold their votes on infrastructure when Pelosi says the House will vote on the bill Thursday, Jayapal added, "We are going to vote for both bills when the reconciliation bill is done."

FOX Business' Chad Pergram and Jason Donner contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

So, who is in charge of the House--Nancy Pelosi or the Democratic Progressive Caucus?

Looks like Ms. Pelosi has begun to lose her grip on the Party.

Joy!!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Come on AOC, fulfill your vow - blow the whole think up now!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    3 years ago

Well, we have seen that Nancy was willing to lie about the legislation. Will the Progressive Caucus do the same now, following her sterling example?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    3 years ago

Maybe she can throw a tantrum on the House floor again; or at least shed some more crocodile tears? That would at least make for good media at least.

If AOC were truly as committed to her cause as she claims; then she would take what she can get in the reconciliation bill. It should be about forwarding her agenda; not herself. 

I agree with you, I hope she blows the whole thing up as well; and both bills fail. That is what the elitists she is now hanging with want for sure. She will be allowed to put on all the act she wants; so long as their money is safe. She has to be the most worthless hard leftist ideolog ever.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago

Political leaders have too much power.   The speaker and Senate leaders have way too much influence over legislation.   This was never the intent of the framers but it would seem they did not anticipate that leaders would use reelection funds, chairmanships, etc. as leverage to coerce members to vote as they see fit.

That said, I am absolutely in favor of working on needed physical infrastructure.    Done right (albeit we know we will fall short) infrastructure enables effectiveness and thus supports a strong economy.