╌>

Why Gabby Petito?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  47 comments

Why Gabby Petito?
My understanding is she liked to travel around the country with her boyfriend, posting videos of her "van life".  Thousands, tens of thousands, I dont know, millions? , evidently cared about her "van life". 

Gabby Petito's family held a press conference this morning , thanking everyone across the country for their support . Someone, I think it was their lawyer also took a few questions about what the family thought about the suspect in her death, her boyfriend named Brian Laundrie being on the run. The lawyer said the FBI was working on it. 

I went to Bing search to try and find out something about Gabby Petito and why she would become this person of such great national (news media) interest.  Almost everything that came up in the first 200 or so entries was about her death , not her life and what she was famous for. So I saw a link to the wikipedia article on her death and I went to that thinking I could then find a link to the wikipedia page about her, which would show me why she was famous.  Then, there is no wikipedia page "Gabby Petito". 

She was this renowned You Tube and Instagram "influencer" , but she doesnt have a wikipedia page? 

Evidently. 

My understanding is she liked to travel around the country with her boyfriend, posting videos of her "van life".  Thousands, tens of thousands, I dont know, millions? , evidently cared about her "van life". 

This is known as talent in some places I guess. Make yourself known for being known. 

There was a mother here in the Chicago area who complained because at the same time the world was in fear for Gabby Petitos fate her son had been missing for a month, and there seemed to be very little effort going on to find him.  His body was found , after so many weeks in a local river. He was a college student and evidently a good young man. 

I saw an article the other day that said there are 65,000 missing women of color in the United States. Which sounds about right because their cases have gotten about 1/65,000th of the attention Gabby Petito has gotten.   

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I dont get America sometimes. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I am with you on this.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.2  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I never watched her but watching a show about traveling around and camping sounds better than say watching the Super Bowl or a baseball, basketball game. I probably would have found her show boring too but it couldn't possibly be worse than televised sports.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

This pos is dug in like a tick.  They should just back off and he will resurface if he thinks the pressure is off.  I don't believe that he will kill again so if he lets his guard down, he will be recognized and turned in.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago
She was this renowned You Tube and Instagram "influencer"

I don't get it.  Is that supposed to mean something?  If she were so "renowned" then why are many of us only hearing of her after her death?

Make yourself known for being known. 

Reminds me of the song " Self Important Shithead "

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

She's a pretty white girl. That's why she got the national headlines and thousands of missing POCs get bupkus

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Oh yes, the race lady told us it was because she was white!

R.9dfdcaf87dba98a174433c142f99dc35?rik=mHGMpO26LPCTlQ&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    3 years ago

I dont think the attention was entirely because she was white, but it didnt hurt. "celebrity" worship is also part of it, even though she was a celebrity very few people had ever heard of.  I guess enough of the right people had heard of her. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 years ago

It was a human interest story, one that was stranger than fiction.

That's why the story took off.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    3 years ago

It was not remotely "stranger than fiction" . The big three networks have been telling stories like this on their non fiction "true crime" shows for the past thirty or forty years. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    3 years ago
It was not remotely "stranger than fiction" .

No?  Who would have believed that Laundrie's parents could manipulate the police etc, the way they have?

Who could have believed that the police would be forced to treat the Laundrie family with Kit gloves?  Most suspect that the Laundries got a lawyer right away.  If this was an episode of Columbo, we wouldn't have believed it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    3 years ago

I disagree. There is nothing about this case that hasnt been seen many times before in one variation or another. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    3 years ago
There is nothing about this case that hasnt been seen many times before in one variation or another. 

So true and so very many examples out there.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    3 years ago

The only case it reminds me of was the Laci Peterson murder. Even that one had more logic to it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.6    3 years ago

I dont know. I think they had some kind of fight, he pushed her or hit her and she fell and hit her head or went down into a crevice or something and was killed.  He then decided to drive home and maintain total silence . Then he ran away. I am not saying it is totally without interest in the true crime genre, but there is nothing unusual about it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.7    3 years ago

The public has been fascinated by it for weeks. He bought a lot of time because of his parents. It even has the element of rogue parents.

The perfect ending would be that he finally gets caught and the Laundrie family lawyer rounds up the O J Simpson Jury and they acquit Brian Laundrie!

That would be Ice Cream on the cake!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.8    3 years ago
He bought a lot of time because of his parents. It even has the element of rogue parents.

Reminds me of this

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.10  mocowgirl  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.7    3 years ago
there is nothing unusual about it. 

You are correct.  There is absolutely nothing unusual about domestic violence in the US - including rape and murder. 

When the media does highlight a case of domestic abuse, rape and/or murder, too many people in the US dismiss it as nothing unusual and turn their attention elsewhere.

I really doubt that most people want to address this issue in the US except to use it as a political tool and/or to race bait.

This is not a racial issue.  This should be an every citizen in the US issue.  Why isn't it?  Oh, that's right, there is nothing unusual about domestic violence in the US.

Statistics (ncadv.org)
  • On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men. 1
  • 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking with impacts such as injury, fearfulness, post-traumatic stress disorder, use of victim services, contraction of sexually transmitted diseases, etc. 2
    • 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner.   This includes a range of behaviors (e.g. slapping, shoving, pushing) and in some cases might not be considered "domestic violence."  1
    • 1 in 7 women and 1 in 25 men have been injured by an intimate partner. 1
    • 1 in 10 women have been raped by an intimate partner. Data is unavailable on male victims. 1  
  • 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence (e.g. beating, burning, strangling) by an intimate partner in their lifetime. 1
  • 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed. 1
  • On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide. 9
  • The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%. 10
  • Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime. 2
  • Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner. 2
  • 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon. 2
  • Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior. 2
  • Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries. 2

RAPE

• 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States has been raped in their lifetime. 1
  • Almost half of female (46.7%) and male (44.9%) victims of rape in the United States were raped by an acquaintance. Of these, 45.4% of female rape victims and 29% of male rape victims were raped by an intimate partner. 11

STALKING

• 19.3 million women and 5.1 million men in the United States have been stalked in their lifetime. 1  60.8% of female stalking victims and 43.5% men reported being stalked by a current or former intimate partner. 11

HOMICIDE

• A study of intimate partner homicides found that 20% of victims were not the intimate partners themselves, but family members, friends, neighbors, persons who intervened, law enforcement responders, or bystanders. 3
  • 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these murder suicides are female. 8

CHILDREN AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

• 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence. 5

ECONOMIC IMPACT

• Victims of intimate partner violence lose a total of 8.0 million days of paid work each year. 6
  • The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds $8.3 billion per year. 6
  • Between 21-60% of victims of intimate partner violence lose their jobs due to reasons stemming from the abuse. 6
  • Between 2003 and 2008, 142 women were murdered in their workplace by their abuser, 78% of women killed in the workplace during this timeframe. 4

PHYSICAL/MENTAL IMPACT

• Women abused by their intimate partners are more vulnerable to contracting HIV or other STI’s due to forced intercourse or prolonged exposure to stress. 7
  • Studies suggest that there is a relationship between intimate partner violence and depression and suicidal behavior. 7
  • Physical, mental, and sexual and reproductive health effects have been linked with intimate partner violence including adolescent pregnancy, unintended pregnancy in general, miscarriage, stillbirth, intrauterine hemorrhage, nutritional deficiency, abdominal pain and other gastrointestinal problems, neurological disorders, chronic pain, disability, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well as noncommunicable diseases such as hypertension, cancer and cardiovascular diseases. Victims of domestic violence are also at higher risk for developing addictions to alcohol, tobacco, or drugs. 7

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 years ago

Wasn't so much what Joy Reid said as how she said it. The woman showed very little tact or sympathy and derailed.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6  mocowgirl    3 years ago

Why anyone?

How many crimes are committed in the US on a daily basis?
Who decides which ones are newsworthy?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ronin2  replied to  mocowgirl @6    3 years ago

It is decided by the number of clicks on social media. No clicks, no story.

The national media was late on this one. It went viral on the internet long before they even sniffed at it. I found out about it from a friend that works internet pages that post nothing but garbage stories and videos days before I saw it on the news.

As to why. Young, cute, female- hooked almost every straight guy out there. Douchebag boyfriend- hooked the douchebags, and those abused by douchebags. Both of them were off their meds- how many young people are on meds these days- just hooked them as well. Police got it wrong on which one was the abuser; and didn't consider it a toxic relationship or domestic abuse- hooked the anti cop crowd.

Now the story has a life of it's own. Grieving parents, and parents that aided their son in escaping. Now the search. The media won't let it go until the clicks and views go down. Then it will be relegated to updates only when something new is found and they think they can rekindle interest.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
7  Baron Creek    3 years ago

So as I understand it...

• Thousands go missing every year and it is barely a blip on the radar.
  • Gabby Petito goes missing and there is sudden national outcry about the thousands that go missing every year.
  • The Gabby Petito story will fade from the public, the people complaining about the attention her case is getting... will lose interest and fade from the headlines.
  • Rinse and repeat.

Why Gabby Petito? It provides a platform to discuss the thousands of others that go missing. Realistically, no Gabby Petito... no discussion. 

Sorry if that offends, but the plain truth can hurt.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Baron Creek @7    3 years ago

Nice try, but I dont think her case has led to much of a discussion about the other missing thousands. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    3 years ago

Black kids getting killed doesn't generate much national attention either.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
7.1.2  Baron Creek  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    3 years ago
Nice try, but I dont think her case has led to much of a discussion about the other missing thousands. 

Fair enough. Outside of the past couple of weeks, where can I find your historical articles lamenting the plight of those thousands? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Baron Creek @7.1.2    3 years ago

I am not a news generator. I am a commentator. 

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
7.1.4  Baron Creek  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.3    3 years ago
I am not a news generator. I am a commentator. 

Again... fair enough. You are however, a prolific seeder. Prior to Gabby Petito, when was your last seed about missing people and when did any of your collection of news sites make mention of missing people?

Which goes back to my original statement. Without Gabby Petito, there would be zero/zilch discussion. Shameful, but true.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Baron Creek @7.1.4    3 years ago

I dont completely disagree with you but I dont think this case has generated a whole lot of interest in other cases, but maybe im wrong

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    3 years ago

Still talking about this? I don’t get it. I don’t think I care to get it. Now we’re talking about talking about it. It’s a little silly.

Say, JR, didn’t you seed a story about this yesterday, also? And another one like 4 or 5 days ago? You might be part of the problem, ya know?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

With the massive amount of LEO's and others actively searching, he will stay dug in like a tick.  If they just all back off, he will let down his guard and resurface.  Someone will recognize him and turn him in.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.1  Ronin2  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10    3 years ago

Assuming he is still within the US. He had a good head start- he could be heading the opposite direction of the illegals coming up from South America. Outside of heading the wrong direction it would be too hard to blend in.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ronin2 @10.1    3 years ago

Go deflect elsewhere.jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg