╌>

Biden Says Republican Minority — Not the Democratic Majority — Will Decide Future of US Debt: 'That's Up to Mitch McConnell'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   Rudy Takala (MSN)

Biden Says Republican Minority — Not the Democratic Majority — Will Decide Future of US Debt: 'That's Up to Mitch McConnell'
President Joe Biden said Monday the fate of the federal debt ceiling would be determined by the Republican minority in Congress — not by his own Democratic Party's majority. The post Biden Says Republican Minority — Not the Democratic Majority — Will Decide Future of US Debt: 'That's Up to Mitch McConnell' first appeared on Mediaite.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden said Monday the fate of the federal debt ceiling would be determined by the Republican minority in Congress — not by his own Democratic Party's majority.

"Can you guarantee the U.S. will not reach the debt ceiling, that that will not happen?" a reporter asked Biden during a press conference at the White House. Biden replied that in his view, the issue depended on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY).

"No, I can't," the president said. "That's up to Mitch McConnell."

The reporter followed up by asking if it was possible the U.S. would fail to "pay its debts." Biden replied, "I can't believe that that will be the end result, because the consequence is so dire. I don't believe that. But can I guarantee it? If I could, I would, but I can't."

Democrats are seeking to raise the $28.4 trillion U.S. debt ceiling before the federal government defaults on its debt on Oct. 18, but they have sought to tie it to an enormous $3.5 trillion spending plan that Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin (WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (AZ) oppose. Their opposition puts Democrats at least two votes shy of the 50 they need to pass a bill in the Senate.

Critical viewers were quick to point out the problem with Biden's statement.

It literally is not. https://t.co/ssjZvxeet8
— Christian Schneider (@Schneider_CM) October 4, 2021

There was about 90 seconds of space in that presser between Biden admitting Democrats could raise the debt ceiling on their own via reconciliation and then doing a full 180 and saying "it's up to Mitch McConnell."
— Ben Williamson (@_WilliamsonBen) October 4, 2021

Biden warned Monday the US may default its debt for the first time in history if Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) blocks Democratic attempts to raise the fed borrowing limit.

Huh? Dems don't need a single R vote, but they want to blame Rs https://t.co/IwE3dMbpzg

— John R Lott Jr. (@JohnRLottJr) October 4, 2021

Watch above via CBSN.

The post Biden Says Republican Minority — Not the Democratic Majority — Will Decide Future of US Debt: 'That's Up to Mitch McConnell' first appeared on Mediaite.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Joe Biden's superiors must think most independent voters are just stupid and can't see who is in the majority.

I get that many Democrats will believe him (despite the lie) but independents will not.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2  igknorantzrulz    3 years ago

Funny how when Repubs controlled, it was a bipartisan agreement, but now the Repubs wish to have the talking point that it was the Dems that are responsible for our ever increasing, and need for increasement , all while both parties are Irresponsible for it, and one possibly a tad more after ridiculous tax cuts for the wealthiest of US

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    3 years ago

Democrats are attempting to give the rich a big tax break by ending the SALT cap restrictions.

What Biden said was clearly a lie to anyone who listened. The Democrats ARE the majority (as so many like to constantly remind us) so of course they can pass it without any GOP votes

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3  Snuffy    3 years ago

You wanna see a real mess, get rid of the debt ceiling completely.  That way every time they need more money they can come back to Congress to get it approved.  With this dysfunctional Congress it shouldn't take more than 3 years to get any single budget request approved.  hehe

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    3 years ago

If McConnell's gop crashes the economy it's on them.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @4    3 years ago

The Democrats can raise the limit whenever they want without a single republican vote.  They have the votes. It's completely their choice. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    3 years ago
The Democrats can raise the limit whenever they want without a single republican vote.

And just exactly why won't republicans vote to raise the debt ceiling to pay for much of their own spending?

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    3 years ago

The gop could do right and not be dickheads...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.1    3 years ago
And just exactly why won't republicans vote to raise the debt ceiling to pay for much of their own spending?

Oh, you mean like the Democrats demanding to spend $3.5 trillion on social spending?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    3 years ago
p could do right and not be dickheads...

The Democrats could not be  dickheads and pass the bill.  The Republicans have no power.  It's up to Schumer if we default.  All he has to do to stop it is schedule a vote. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.1    3 years ago
why won't republicans vote to raise the debt ceiling to pay for much of their own spending?

Why won't Democrats vote to raise the debt ceiling and pay for much of their own spending? They have the votes. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.5    3 years ago
Why won't Democrats vote to raise the debt ceiling and pay for much of their own spending?

So, you have no answer and chose to deflect.  Why did you even bother replying to my question if you had nothing to contribute?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @4    3 years ago

Like Republicans are in charge of anything. 

This is just Democrats not wanting to take responsibility for anything; like normal.

If the Dems want to play with the debt with their porkulus reconciliation bill; then they can raise the debt ceiling on their own.

McConnell is still on the hook for ever trusting the Democrats by negotiating the bipartisan infrastructure bill. He never should have trusted the Dems in the Senate to not push their reconciliation bill to the House for negotiations. Luckily AOC and her left wing loons will try and cancel both bills. Only the Democrats can snatch defeat from the certain jaws of victory.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4    3 years ago
If McConnell's gop crashes the economy it's on them.

IF pigs had wings, they might fly, too.

Seems like when Democrats are the minority, the GOP runs roughshod over them, doing whatever they want. When Democrats are the majority, the GOP is to blame for their ineptitude.

Why does anyone ever vote for such Democratic incompetency?

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
5  Drakkonis    3 years ago

Ever see one of those movies were the bad guy tells one of his prisoners to kill one of the other prisoners or he will kill ten of them? And the poor guy has to figure out the moral dilemma? Bad guy asks, "Do you want to be responsible for the death of one or ten?"

Seems to me that's what the Dem's are doing  with this. They hold hostage the bipartisan infrastructure bill to pass the partisan 3.5 billion budget package and then try to say that if we default, it's the Republican's fault. How anyone could not have a problem with the slimy tactics being pulled here is beyond me.