╌>

More shooting fatalities, injuries already reported in Seattle area than in 2020

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  just-jim-nc-ttth  •  3 years ago  •  43 comments

By:   Monique Beals (MSN)

More shooting fatalities, injuries already reported in Seattle area than in 2020
Seattle has already seen more fatalities and injuries from shootings in 2021 than throughout the entirety of 2020.Data from the King County prosecutor's Shots Fired Project showed that 73 people were killed and another 283 injured in shootings in the county this year by the end of September, according to The Seattle Times.Data from the Shots Fired Project accounts for 79 percent of the county's population, the Times reported. In all of 2020,...

Another fine example of exceptionalism in government

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Seattle has already seen more fatalities and injuries from shootings in 2021 than throughout the entirety of 2020.

© John Moore/Getty Images More shooting fatalities, injuries already reported in Seattle area than in 2020

Data from the King County prosecutor's Shots Fired Project showed that 73 people were killed and another 283 injured in shootings in the county this year by the end of September, according to The Seattle Times.

Load Error

Data from the Shots Fired Project accounts for 79 percent of the county's population, the Times reported.

In all of 2020, there were 69 firearm-related homicides and 268 nonfatal shootings. Between 2017 and 2020, total gunshot victims increased by 36 percent in the Seattle area based on these figures.

"While 2020 set all sorts of records, 2021 is blowing that out of the water," King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said to The Seattle Times. "It's disheartening to see these numbers continue to go up and I have to think the pandemic has something to do with it."

Satterberg added that economic uncertainty, school closures, isolation and other side effects of the COVID-19 pandemic likely contributed to the increased violence.

"We don't underestimate the devastating consequences that being shot has on somebody's health and life expectancy and economic outlook. It can radically change their life forever," Satterberg also said of people who survived shootings.

Young Black men and people of color are disproportionately affected by the county's gun violence, which remains consistent with past reports. In 2021, 85 percent of victims were male and 81 percent were people of color, the Times reported.

In King County, 7 percent of the population is Black, but 50 percent of the county's shooting victims were Black, the Times also noted.

The reports of gun violence in Seattle come as homicides appear to be up nationwide. The FBI's Uniform Crime Report released last month showed that homicides increased nearly 30 percent from 2019 to 2020.

The jump marked the "largest single-year increase" the FBI has reported since it began collecting this type of data in the 1960s.

The Hill has reached out to the King County Prosecutor's Office for comment.

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft and partners may be compensated if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Damn didn't necessarily see that coming after 2020 at all........................./S

Sucks for the citizenry as a whole.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    3 years ago

Defund the police really works like magic, doesn't it?

SMH 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago

With idiotic cries of "Defund the Police!".  NONE of them thought this would happed.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 years ago

Well, you know the brainiacs really thought it all through................

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

Well you know what they say, "Liberalism is feelings over intellect disguised as the latter". And it shows here every day.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    3 years ago

Are there cries of ''defund the police in Fayetteville NC?''  They seem to be having a bit of a murder problem there as well.

Fayetteville has seen a 50% increase in homicide investigations this year over last year. In 2020, the increase over 2019 was nearly 38%.

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Veronica  replied to  Kavika @3.2    3 years ago
They seem to be having a bit of a murder problem there as well.

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.2    3 years ago

Numbers not percentages please. A 50% increase could mean they had two last year and three this year. Your attempted "whataboutism" is noted.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.2    3 years ago

No shit, Jim the size of a city (population) has everything to do with the murder rate. 

Here is one for you, FT. Worth, TX with real numbers, those damn facts.

Your ''lame excuses'' are noted. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.2.3    3 years ago

Back at ya. 

Your defense of a city in which you have no interest is noted. And you didn't give the murder rate. You gave a percentage year over year. Fail

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.4    3 years ago

And back at you.

Rising by 35% year over year, the number of murders reported in North Carolina totalled 852 in 2020 -- more than in New York, a state with nearly twice as many people. All crime data used in this story is from the FBI and is for the year 
Your defense of a city in which you have no interest is noted.

A couple of things, Jim. How do you know that I have no interest in that city? What makes anyone think that you have any interest in Seattle except to try to prove a lame point?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.6  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.2.5    3 years ago

A lot of that is in direct correlation to the illegal immigrant influx and gangs. Especially here in the Charlotte area. 

And your deflection from the Fayetteville numbers is noted.

How is Florida doing this year? 2020 was 1,285

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.7  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.2.5    3 years ago

I have indirect family (best friend's son and daughter) in Seattle and an ex in Chicago. You?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.6    3 years ago
A lot of that is in direct correlation to the illegal immigrant influx. Especially here in the Charlotte area. 

Yes, of course, it is, LOL yet NC has more murders than NY which has almost twice the population.  One would think that there are illegals in NY as well, probably more than NC. Wow there are more than a half million illegals in NYC alone. 

I didn't deflect at all, the numbers for Fayetteville are easy enough to find. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.7    3 years ago

In the Seattle city limits and surrounding burbs, 10 related family members throughout  the rest of Washington state around 25. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.10  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.2.9    3 years ago

That's a lot. Good for ya then. Hope they aren't in the line of fire. Seriously hope.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.10    3 years ago

Interesting stat. 

Provisional data from the CDC's   National Center for Health Statistics , released early Wednesday, suggest the homicide rate for the United States rose 30% between 2019 and 2020. It is the highest increase recorded in modern history -- and confirms through public health data a rise in homicides that so far had been identified only through crime statistics.
The previous largest increase in the US homicide rate was a 20% rise recorded from 2000 to 2001 because of the September 11 terror attacks, according to NCHS.
"It is the largest increase in 100 years," Robert Anderson, chief of the mortality statistics branch at NCHS, said.
Over the years many of them have been in the line of fire on a regular basis. Thanks for the concern.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.2.12  GregTx  replied to  Kavika @3.2.11    3 years ago

That is an interesting stat. Would you mind citing the article that quote came from? I would like to read it.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.13  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  GregTx @3.2.12    3 years ago

Here's one...........

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.2.14  GregTx  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.13    3 years ago

Thanks, but I would like to read Kavika's article as well...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @3.2.12    3 years ago

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @3.2    3 years ago
Are there cries of ''defund the police in Fayetteville NC?'

Actually there were.  But then again I don't live in Fayetteville.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.2    3 years ago

You are googling again?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.18  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.17    3 years ago

apparently trolling my profile as well.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.19  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.16    3 years ago
Actually there were. 

I guess that's why NC had more murders in 2020 they NY state. 

But then again I don't live in Fayetteville.  

But you know that Fayetteville had ''defund the police'' cries. So you are up to date on the happenings in NC.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.20  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.17    3 years ago
You are googling again?

Why yes I am, the CDC report was quite informative and pretty much laid waste to the article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.21  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.18    3 years ago
apparently trolling my profile as well.  

Don't assume, Jeremy you know what they say about that. 

You've stated that you were 82nd Airborne (retired) the 82nd is stationed at Ft. Bragg. You stated that you live in NC so mentioning Fayetteville isn't that much of a stretch. 

Your welcome.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.2.20    3 years ago

Hurling insulting comments never rises to the level of debating an article. Btw the article is about Seattle.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.23  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.22    3 years ago
Hurling insulting comments never rises to the level of debating an article. Btw the article is aboutSeattle.

You should always practice what you preach, Vic. So producing a counter point and showing that the murder rate across the US is at record levels isn't productive debating? 

Are you afraid of facts that counteract BS?

If I was hurling insults I would think that you would be flagging them, since you flag most everything that you don't like whether it's a violation or not. 

Carry on

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.25  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @3.2.19    3 years ago
I guess that's why NC had more murders in 2020 they NY state. 

maybe if you strip out NYC.

But you know that Fayetteville had ''defund the police'' cries. So you are up to date on the happenings in NC.

So you move the goal posts from a specific city to the entire state.  You trolled my profile (how else would you assume I live in Fayetteville), do you actually think I live in the state and not know what's going on?  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.26  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @3.2.21    3 years ago
You've stated that you were 82nd Airborne (retired) the 82nd is stationed at Ft. Bragg. You stated that you live in NC so mentioning Fayetteville isn't that much of a stretch. 

Yes, I was in the 82d Airborne.  I've also been assigned to 1st Infantry Division, 2nd Infantry Division, 3rd Infantry Division, 1st Corps Support Command, 18th Fires Brigade and USAJFCSWCS. 

There are 5 active duty military installations in NC.  Cherry Point, Camp LeJeune, Fort Bragg, Seymour Johnson Air Base.  You assumed I live in Fayetteville with vague information.  Don't think you know anything based on vague information.  It can come back and bite you in the ass.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.27  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.26    3 years ago

I dont't how that bit me in the ass.  It kind of like when you ask for some proof of voter suppression and I gave you links to current cases and you stated that you'd read them and I never did hear back from you. 

See how that works?

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.2.28  GregTx  replied to  Kavika @3.2.20    3 years ago

I'm not sure how you think it lays waste to the article, if anything it seems to reaffirm it. While murder rates rising nationally are a result of multiple reasons, the "defund the police" movement can't be discounted as a factor.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.29  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2.25    3 years ago

No, I did not troll your profile that is a flat out lie. I told you how I came to the conclusion, believe it or not I really don't care. 

Check your facts when it comes to murder/firearm deaths in NY state vs NC state. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.30  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @3.2.28    3 years ago

I didn't say that ''defund the police'' didn't have some responsibity in the rise of deaths, but  I believe that it's given way to much credit for the increase in deaths. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.32  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.2.23    3 years ago
since you flag most everything that you don't like whether it's a violation or not. 

I think your'e a little confused. Different group.

Are you afraid of facts that counteract BS?

Facts have to relate to the subject at hand. I'm not interested in you googling red states & cities to try and contradict a settled fact. What has happened to Seattle the past year was all preventable. 

You should always practice what you preach, Vic. 

I have. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.33  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.2.30    3 years ago
I believe that it's given way to much credit for the increase in deaths. 

And many of us think it's been given way too little.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
4  Moose Knuckle    3 years ago

I think it's just wrong we have so many guns in America. This is why I continue to support President Biden's plan to send them all to Afghanistan with the new mostly peaceful Taliban and Isis-Special K.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Moose Knuckle @4    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

I don't understand the back-and-forth disputes here. After all, shootings and deaths, It's just another day in America.  I just wish that Americanism didn't seep across its northern border so much. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    3 years ago

Why not? The Canadian marijuana is seeping across our border. We have good trade with Canada, so fair is fair.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1    3 years ago

There's a difference.  What's going north is bad while what's going south is good.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1    3 years ago

And American guns are 'seeping' across our border ... anytime you want to change the direction of the flows is good with me.