╌>

'Exercise extreme caution': 40 shipping containers lost in rough seas off Vancouver Island

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   CTV News Vancouver Island Staff (Canada Television News)

'Exercise extreme caution': 40 shipping containers lost in rough seas off Vancouver Island

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The containers were adrift approximately 69 kilometres west of Vancouver Island just before 3 p.m., according to U.S. officials. (USCG)

VICTORIA -  

The Canadian Coast Guard and United States Coast Guard are warning boaters after 40 shipping containers were tossed from a cargo ship Friday in rough seas off Vancouver Island.

The containers were adrift approximately 69 kilometres west of Vancouver Island just before 3 p.m., according to U.S. officials.

shipping-containers-adrift-off-vancouver-island-1-5635344-1634953543480.jpg

The cargo vessel Zim Kingston was inbound for Vancouver when it listed to one side, dropping the containers into the ocean near the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the authorities said.

The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center sent out a broadcast to mariners Friday afternoon warning that the lost containers may be partially submerged and not easily visible from the surface.

"Mariners should exercise extreme caution" when transiting the region, the centre warned.

The Canadian Coast Guard also sent out a notice on  NavWarn  about the affected area.

lost-shipping-container-1-5635345-1634953594792.jpg

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS

Eight of the containers had been located by 4 p.m., according to a spokesperson for the U.S. Coast Guard's 13th District in Seattle, Wash.

Two of the lost containers contain hazardous materials that could spontaneously combust, the spokesperson said.

The Zim Kingston reported that two crushed containers on deck also contain the same hazardous and combustible material, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

vancouver-island-shipping-container-1-5635346-1634953649570.jpg

The Canadian Coast Guard says it is assessing the incident "to determine if there are pollution threats and hazards from the containers."

The organization says it's working with its U.S. counterparts under the Joint Response Team Canada-US Pacific Annex to monitor the situation.

The Maltese-flagged vessel was at the Constance Bank anchorage south of Victoria at 4:30 p.m. The Canadian Coast Guard says it is "currently safely at anchor."

#UPDATE  35 containers have been observed floating and are being monitored.
— USCGPacificNorthwest (@USCGPacificNW)  October 23, 2021

shipping-containers-1-5635070-1634943316589.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Now even more empty shelves expected.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    3 years ago

Remember the little rubber duckies that floated around the world.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2    3 years ago

Adventurous ducks.  I thought they stuck to bathtubs.

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1.1  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    3 years ago

They used to have a local rubber ducky race near me. There were thousands of identical but numbered duckies and they'd put them in a river and they'd float downstream towards the finish line. It was like a raffle, you'd buy numbered tickets and if the winning ducky had your number you'd win.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Zim is the Israeli flag line. 

Actually, 40 containers aren't that bad of a loss. There have been many that are in the hundreds and thousands lost. 

This is one of the worst in history. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago

Kavika, you KNOW I can't open youtube.  What was the name of the ship - did it sink with the containers or were they washed overboard?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    3 years ago

Lighten up Buzz, the name of the ship was the ONE Abus and 1800 containers went overboard and hundreds more were damaged.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    3 years ago

Okay, okay, I've lightened up.

OIP-C.Z9xrJLHeXAb5bvX2KHgC6AAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Now YOU lighten up.  I have to know what's posted on seeds I post because I'm responsible to moderate them.  So you then posted a link to a news site that's blocked here which I assume is about the ONE Abus, so never mind explaining what it says.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

It might end up losing ALL its containers...

Crew members rescued as container ship burns off B.C. coast  (link ->)