╌>

Anyone Watching "Only Murders In The Building" ?

Category:  Entertainment

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  3 comments

Anyone Watching "Only Murders In The Building"  ?

I gave this show a try because it was Steve Martin , who is 76 now, and I wanted to see what he was up to. Also the idea of Selena Gomez as a co-star with the two geezers (Steve Martin and Martin Short seemed intriguing. 

From the breezy opening introduction to the first episode this show was a breath of fresh air. Both comedy and drama, and a whodunit, and a prolonged rumination on loneliness , aging, and regret, and a satire of self-importance, celebrity, and podcasting, Only Murders In The Building is a shining light of the current television season and a likely contender for end of season tv awards. 

The show has a 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes , which is outstanding based on 61 critic reviews. 

Only Murders In The Building is streaming on Hulu as a ten episode limited series , appx 1/2 hour per episode. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I normally find Martin Short more annoying than charming, but his overacting fit this character . Martin is excellent as a lonely elderly man who finds purpose in solving the crime. Selena Gomez somehow has chemistry with both the old gents as a young woman living alone in a toney Manhattan high rise seemingly hiding a sketchy past. Probably brought into the show to draw younger viewers, she actually melds extremely well as part of this quirky crime solving trio. 

On the surface the show is a light comedy about diverse characters come together to do a true crime podcast about a murder in their apartment building, but it really is about three very lonely people making essential human connections.  The show has an eccentricity to it that only adds to the proceedings, and a string of celebrity cameos. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    3 years ago

I watched the first few episodes but was not captivated.   I agree with your assessment and am willing to give it another go.   My wife is far into the series and highly recommends it.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2    3 years ago

This is a pretty fast paced show that is all over the place in emphasis and tone. Some of the plot themes worked better than others, but overall I think it's a very strong limited series.