╌>

Americans Are Casting Their Votes--with Their Feet

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gregtx  •  3 years ago  •  60 comments

By:   Merrill Matthews

Americans Are Casting Their Votes--with Their Feet
New research reveals which state leads the pack in providing new Texans. And no limited-government person will be surprised at the answer.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Merrill Matthews | Publications | PolicyBytes

It's Nov. 2 and Americans are going to the polls.
That fact has created a lot of excitement, as well as anxiety, that voters will send a message that they are dissatisfied with the past nine months of complete Democratic control in Washington.
But Americans don't just show their dissatisfaction with government overreach at the polls. They also show it with their feet, by fleeing mismanaged, high-tax, heavy-regulation states.
And we just got what you might call the "poll results" of that voting with their feet.
The Texas Real Estate Research Center at Texas A&M University just released an assessment of where newly arrived Texans came from during the pandemic. "More than one out of every ten people moving to Texas in 2020 was from California," according to the report.
e36bb1a3-97ca-0833-b963-c23447972af4.jpg
The report also points out that has been the case for 19 of the past 20 years. The only exception was in 2005, when Louisiana supplied the most new Texans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Lesson: Only a historic natural disaster provides more new Texans than an endemic, multi-year political disaster like California.
It's also interesting to note where these fleeing Californians are moving to in Texas. The report says Travis County, which is Austin, is their top destination. And that makes perfect sense.
Austin has become a major technology hub, which would attract lots of Californians. The cost of living is also much more affordable than the Golden State, though that's beginning to change as new arrivals bid up the price of housing.
And Austin has a reputation as one of the more liberal cities in the state, which could appeal to some California ex-pats who want to retain their liberal inclinations, while the conservative state legislature and governor protect them from the higher taxes and more regulations that drove many of those Californians to Texas in the first place.
The media keep warning that Tuesday's election could be bad news for the Democratic agenda. But whatever voters do on Tuesday doesn't negate the fact that millions have already, in effect, cast their ballot—by voting with their feet.

Tags: TAX REFORM

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

GregTx
PhD Guide
1  seeder  GregTx    3 years ago

Just because...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    3 years ago

Welcome to Texas.

Please leave your California politics in California.

Don't try to California our Texas.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

Absofuckinglutely!!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago
Don't try to California our Texas.

You know they will...good luck.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sunshine @2.2    3 years ago
You know they will...good luck.

Unfortunately, I think you are right.

Luckily, most congregate around Austin, so easy to avoid anyways.

Eventually they will spread their shit allover though.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.2  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago

I don't think so, there's just too much of Texas that dog just can't hunt in.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @2.2.2    3 years ago
I don't think so, there's just too much of Texas that dog just can't hunt in.

I don't know.

After all, California wasn't always the land of fruits and nuts.

Hopefully I'll be dead long before they take our fine state over.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago

Oh I see, these comments are just meant to be offensive. 

See, that is the real difference between us and you. We are polite to everyone. You, not so much.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.4    3 years ago
We are polite to everyone.

Come on, we BOTH know that is simply not true.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.5    3 years ago

I'm sorry, but I have never seen out-of-towners being treated badly. People flock here from around the world and have a wonderful time. So no, and that was nothing but another comment meant to be offensive. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.7    3 years ago
I'm sorry, but I have never seen out-of-towners being treated badly. People flock here from around the world and have a wonderful time. So no, and that was nothing but another comment meant to be offensive. 

[Deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.6    3 years ago

LMAO, a poll from a country music station is supposed to mean something? 

How can anyone rank NY? It is everything from totally rural to the biggest city in the US?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.8    3 years ago

What facts?

You mean trolling comments like: 

The only thing I find offensive is you must think I am dumb enough to fall for your schtick. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.9    3 years ago
How can anyone rank NY? It is everything from totally rural to the biggest city in the US?

The same way they rank other states. 

Almost every state has cities and rural areas, so NT is far from unique in that regard.

And I can cite other polls if it is necessary, but I have never met anyone who considered NY to be one of the friendliest states.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.10    3 years ago
The only thing I find offensive is you must think I am dumb enough to fall for your schtick. 

I have expressed no opinion on your intelligence. You are free to assume whatever you wish, but I say what I mean so false assumptions aren't necessary.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.11    3 years ago

I never said friendliest. But you said:

Is that the average Texan's idea of friendly?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.13    3 years ago
I never said friendliest

And I never said you did. Here is what I wrote EXACTLY:

"And I can cite other polls if it is necessary, but I have never met anyone who considered NY to be one of the friendliest states." 

Please note the words "one of the friendliest".

Is that the average Texan's idea of friendly?

People are welcome to Texas.

Some of their politics aren't as welcome, especially if they wish to remake Texas into something more like where they came from.

Just as I suspect people in New York would feel if a bunch of conservatives tried to make NY more like Texas.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.14    3 years ago
Please not the words "one of the friendliest".

And I'll stand by that.

Reasons to go to NY:

please note 14:

14. Mingle with New Yorkers

You can’t generalize about the people of a city that is made up of so many different nationalities, ethnicities, religions and classes. Still, an image remains of New Yorkers as abrasive, fast-talking, sharp-minded and always in a hurry. It’s not rudeness – it’s the pace of NYC life. On the whole, you’ll find that New Yorkers welcome you to their town and will happily give you directions or help you if you’re in trouble. It’s true – they’re the salt of the earth.

And you might find this surprising but NYer's don't obsess over politics. You don't need to show a blue card to get in.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.15    3 years ago
And you might find this surprising but NYer's don't obsess over politics. You don't need to show a blue card to get in.

Why on God's green Earth would I find that surprising??????

No state requires any card to get in.

No one has even made the argument that a state does that, so where is this coming from??

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.16    3 years ago

Oh dear god...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

Nice to hear, but I think I'll stick with AZ.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Got kind of the same problem here...............

And Maryland and "Joisy"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    3 years ago

Some progressive liberals wish to bitch about red states, but can never really explain why so many are fleeing overtaxed states like California, New York, and New Jersey.

Or why they enjoy being overtaxed.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.1    3 years ago

California must be a great place to live if you are either very rich or an illegal alien.

For the rest--meh, not so good!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago
fleeing overtaxed states like California, New York, and New Jersey

That's odd, since I don't see on that map NY or NJ leaving in droves.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    3 years ago

New York lost a Congressional seat because of a lower population. That means more are moving out or dying than moving in and births.

I have never heard of anyone saying they would move to California or New York or New Jersey because of favorable taxes.

I have seen where high taxes are given as reasons to leave those states.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    3 years ago
That's odd, since I don't see on that map NY or NJ leaving in droves.

Just not to Texas. Trust me. North and South Carolina is siphoning them off. Banking and financial operations as well as tech jobs are like fly paper and the cost of living is a lot less............at least for now. That'll change

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.1    3 years ago

The photoshopper could have at least straightened the word California out. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    3 years ago
New York lost a Congressional seat because of a lower population. That means more are moving out or dying than moving in and births.

You obviously didn't read the article. We lost it barely.

People move into NY all the time and they do so for opportunities in business.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.7    3 years ago

And we here in NC gained a seat in the House.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.7    3 years ago
You obviously didn't read the article. We lost it barely.

Well, Perrie, actually, I did read it.

If more people moved into New York than left it, then you wouldn't have lost a seat, now would you?

And of course people move into and out of states ALL the time. No one is disputing that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.8    3 years ago

Jim, I am not saying that people are moving to N. Carolina, but they move there for many reasons. I have heard people I know who have moved south doing so because of affordable housing or jobs. NY is way overpriced for homes, but that couldn't be if there was no demand, so obviously there is. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    3 years ago

You didn't or you would have just said wow, yeah I can believe you lost a seat because the state’s 2020 census population came up 89 people, or .00044 percent, short.

Normally that is considered statistically insignificant.

Or you are being disingenuous. Pick one.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1.12  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.8    3 years ago

And here in Texas we gained two new seats.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.11    3 years ago
You didn't

Pretty cheeky to accuse me of something you have no way of knowing one way or the other. Doesn't seem very friendly, don't ya know.

Or you are being disingenuous. Pick one.

I'll leave that exercise in futility to you. You seem to have it cornered.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.13    3 years ago

Well, if you read it you would have known we lost it by 89 people, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.14    3 years ago

A loss of a seat is and always will be a loss of a seat. If my statement is inaccurate, prove me wrong.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.15    3 years ago
A loss of a seat is and always will be a loss of a seat. If my statement is inaccurate, prove me wrong.

That was not the context of this discussion. Your quote was:

fleeing overtaxed states like California, New York, and New Jersey

And I pointed out that if you consider a net loss of 89 fleeing, you have an odd idea of what fleeing is.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    3 years ago

Yeah, and I personally find that offensive. Holy stereotype. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2    3 years ago

If you knew what the "migration" from the northeast is doing to real estate prices you may not find it offensive. People are paying 10-15% OVER asking price making it terribly difficult for Joe Average to buy a home. They have sold their mega high priced homes up there and have plenty of money to put down on a home here and up until a couple years ago, real estate was fairly priced. And it isn't just real estate. And it isn't ALL New Yorkers so don't be.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.1    3 years ago

Jim,

I have lived in the south when I was a kid, and come on, that is not what your sign is saying. I used to hear about not bringing my "NY ways" with me. Geeze, I was a nice respectful kid. Oh, and I can't tell you how many times I would get a "Bless your heart" for no reason. So that sign is nothing but an insult to NYers.

Real Estate is up everywhere. On Long Island, it has jumped 26% if you can even find a house. People are buying over asking. 

The issue for southern states is when Northerners move in, the state becomes purple and that is what is at issue, isn't it?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.3  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.2    3 years ago

North Carolina is trending more Democratic...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.2    3 years ago
The issue for southern states is when Northerners move in, the state becomes purple and that is what is at issue, isn't it?

That may be true for some. The state has been screwed up since Cooper, the Governor, got elected and is on a power trip vetoing almost every sane piece of legislation that crosses his desk. Charlotte's city council is all but one Democrat and it's spend spend spend right up to and including practically doubling their pay this last year. And trust me. You are taking this waaay too personally. It isn't just NY. Maryland and Pennsylvania and Joisy are much of the problem. 

I have no doubt you were a nice kid when you lived here and sorry but that is the way things were those years ago. There were still some sore asses over the Civil War LOL

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    3 years ago

That's the reason I avoid the Triangle as much as possible.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4  squiggy    3 years ago

Colorado and New Hampshire have seen fifty years of pussification. I don’t know why the liberals can’t live with the monsters they created.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  squiggy @4    3 years ago
I don’t know why the liberals can’t live with the monsters they created.

Because they need EVERYONE'S money to finance their giveaway programs.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5  bugsy    3 years ago

DON_T_copy.png?v=1574886456

I feel the exact same way about Florida. Unfortunately, there has been an influx of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut plates here in north Florida. Thankfully, they are on 95 headed south.

I believe it is almost too late for some of central Florida and much of south Florida, as that is where these snow birds that won't leave typically land.

It has gotten so bad that you have a hard time finding sweet tea south of Gainesville. Most places have that nasty raspberry tea crap. Yuck!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bugsy @5    3 years ago

LMAO, now that is funny, since NYers have always been snowbirds to Florida, including my parents. They like the winter there, but still love NY.

And for the record, and your economy counts on that.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    3 years ago

I don't think I said what you hallucinated I did.

I don't care if they come here for the winter, or any time of the year for that matter. That's fine.

It's those that come here, STAY here, then believe Florida should conform to northeast standards, even though they fled those states because of stupid high taxes.

If they want to come here to live, then again..fine...but don't turn the state blue simply because you voted democrat in New York, Jersey, or pretty much anywhere in the northeast. That only invites high taxes, high crime and inn er cities go to crap.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bugsy @5.1.1    3 years ago

You do realize that you don't get to get it both ways. You can't get the benefit of increased revenue and then dictate how people can vote.

I live on Long Island. All of Suffolk county votes red and most of Nassau votes blue, yet we all manage to live together.

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.2  squiggy  replied to  bugsy @5    3 years ago

In PA they're known as front-platers. The state-run shooting ranges are choked with them on weekend mornings.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    3 years ago

I am sure highly paid executives appreciate Texas not having a state income tax. The end result though is that Texas is becoming more liberal with the influx of corporate offices from the coasts. Like the rest of the country Texas is getting a lot browner and more liberal with each passing year, just a little bit faster now!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6    3 years ago
I am sure highly paid executives appreciate Texas not having a state income tax.

So do the vast majority of Texans.  Kind of the point we are making--people leaving high-tax states and moving to more tax-friendly states.

The end result though is that Texas is becoming more liberal with the influx of corporate offices from the coasts. Like the rest of the country Texas is getting a lot browner and more liberal with each passing year, just a little bit faster now!

Been hearing all about it for well over a decade now. Remember when Wendy Davis was going to turn Texas purple by running for governor---7 YEARS ago? BTW, she lost worse than her Democratic predecessor had, she lost by 21 points! Get back to me when Democrats can win at least ONE statewide office in Texas, then you may begin to have a point.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    3 years ago

Trump won Texas by a much smaller margin in 2020 than he did in 2016. Bush won Texas by 20 percentage points in 2004. Trump barely won it. There is no escaping that Texas is turning blue!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    3 years ago

Like I said, when you can show me a statewide race a Democrat wins here, you will actually begin to have a point.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.1.3  squiggy  replied to  JBB @6.1.1    3 years ago

"...Texas is turning blue!"

That's like saying America is turning Haitian. People won't fix their own shithole so they jump the wall and ruin what others have worked for.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.4  charger 383  replied to  squiggy @6.1.3    3 years ago
"People won't fix their own shithole so they jump the wall and ruin what others have worked for."
I've got to remember that

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @6    3 years ago
I am sure highly paid executives appreciate Texas not having a state income tax.

The rest of us like that, too.

The end result though is that Texas is becoming more liberal with the influx of corporate offices from the coasts.

Texas has always been purple.  Not much has changed.

Like the rest of the country Texas is getting a lot browner and more liberal with each passing year, just a little bit faster now!

It's not difficult to imagine a future where Latinos have taken over the Republican Party.  Historically, Republicans certainly align more with their values.