╌>

Map: High turnout helped Republicans Tuesday

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   Nigel Chiwaya and Jiachuan Wu (MSN)

Map: High turnout helped Republicans Tuesday
Tuesday's results show that high turnout doesn't always mean Democratic victory

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Voter turnout surged Tuesday in Virginia and New Jersey compared to previous non-presidential elections, and Republicans got the bigger boost.

© Provided by NBC News

An NBC News analysis of county-level data from governors' races in both states showed that a tide of energized voters pushed Republicans to victory in Virginia and led to an unexpectedly close race in New Jersey.

In Virginia, the total number of ballots cast Tuesday was 26 percent higher than four years ago, and turnout increased in all but one county. The increase was highest in counties that have voted reliably Republican.

The 10 counties with the highest increase in vote totals — where turnout was 43 to 51 percent higher than 2017 — were all won by Gov.-elect Glenn Youngkin on Tuesday night. These districts have gone to Republicans in recent years, voting for GOP candidates in 2017 and 2020 and favoring Youngkin by a median margin of 35 points Tuesday.

It's not that Democratic voters stayed home, as turnout was higher in all but one county won by Democrat Terry McAuliffe. But the Republican vote helped the party overcome increased turnout from Democratic voters and caused Youngkin to flip nine counties that Democrats won in 2017 and 12 that President Joe Biden carried last year.

The same pattern held in New Jersey, where turnout rose in 20 of the state's 21 counties. Republicans won eight of the 10 counties that had the biggest vote gains compared to 2017, allowing the party to flip three counties that Gov. Phil Murphy won four years ago.

Democrats expected a close race in Virginia, but the outcome there and in New Jersey, coupled with the high turnout, suggest that Democrats may have to contend with an energized Republican voter base in next year's midterm elections.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Gosh, this must be a bitter pill to swallow for Democrats, who have long insisted that high turnout means they win.

Guess we can put that fable to rest now.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Proof positive that a house divided against itself cannot stand!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago

The energized Republican voter base could be seen as a result of Democrat actions and policies. You can't talk down to your potential voters and relegate them to nothing and not expect repercussions.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    3 years ago

Democrats actually seem to believe that voters are stupid, and have no problem saying so.

Imagine that ever backfiring on them!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

Oh it backfired and now they're in panic mode.  As they should be.  They're trying to force the travesty reconcilliation bill thorugh again, and their doubling down on the idiotic rhetoric that the "country is racist".

What we saw this week is a preview of what we can expect during mid-terms. I'm surprised they haven't already started trying to re-work voting laws again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.1    3 years ago
I'm surprised they haven't already started trying to re-work voting laws again.

I expect lots more calls to abolish the filibuster since Democrats are unable to pass much of anything.

Nancy Pelosi has the title of Speaker, but she doesn't seem to be in charge of it.

Voters can see that Democrats can't lead while in the majority.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

I think the Democrats realize how catastrophic abolishing the filibuster could be when they lose power.  

I don't think Pelosi has the mental capacity to do anything any more.  Just a cursory look at her actions over the last few years I think she's on the fast track to the Biden level of mental incompetency