╌>

Buttigieg Says U.S. Will Use Infrastructure Bill to Address Racist Highway Design

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gregtx  •  3 years ago  •  30 comments

By:   Jennifer Epstein and Josh Wingrove (MSN)

Buttigieg Says U.S. Will Use Infrastructure Bill to Address Racist Highway Design
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Monday that his agency will use about $1 billion from President Joe Biden's public works legislation to remedy racial inequities in U.S. highway design, such as roads that were built to separate predominantly minority neighborhoods from White communities.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(Bloomberg) -- Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Monday that his agency will use about $1 billion from President Joe Biden's public works legislation to remedy racial inequities in U.S. highway design, such as roads that were built to separate predominantly minority neighborhoods from White communities.

The program, called "Reconnecting Communities," in some cases will tear down or rebuild highways and overpasses, he said. Federal officials will consider local desires as they identify projects, he said at a White House briefing.

"It's going to vary by community and we have to listen to the community," Buttigieg said. "Sometimes it really is the case that an overpass went in a certain way that is so harmful that it's got to come down or maybe be put underground. Other times maybe it's not that way. Maybe the really important thing is to connect across, to add rather than subtract."

Buttigieg described highways dividing neighborhoods and an underpass deliberately constructed "too low" for "a bus carrying mostly Black and Puerto Rican kids to a beach" in New York.

"That obviously reflects racism that went into those design choices," he said. "I don't think we have anything to lose by confronting that simple reality."

The only specific example he cited was Interstate 81 in Syracuse, New York, where state and local officials already plan to demolish a decades-old elevated stretch of the highway that was built through a historically Black neighborhood on the city's south side.

"We saw the local vision for how they want to get past those divisions," Buttigieg said. "And those local idea are going to be taken very seriously as we try to meet the spirit of this law."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

GregTx
PhD Guide
1  seeder  GregTx    3 years ago

I almost posted this under satire...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @1    3 years ago
I almost posted this under satire...

If only it were.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2  bbl-1  replied to  GregTx @1    3 years ago

You are obviously unaware of urban and suburban road projects of the past 70 years.  I humbly suggest you 'bone up' on the subject before you arrive at conclusions which are a bit beyond your scope.  Perhaps the satire lies within your-----understanding of this subject.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Kavika   replied to  bbl-1 @1.2    3 years ago

A couple of links to articles on this subject, the how and why and when it happened.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.2  squiggy  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2    3 years ago

Nobody said shit sixty years ago when I-Whatever was cut through so many neighborhoods. Now, you want to tell me that Blacks are too stupid to find the beach.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.2.3  seeder  GregTx  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2    3 years ago

Beyond my scope? You're funny.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  bbl-1  replied to  GregTx @1.2.3    3 years ago

How?  And why?  It is on you, Tex, educate us.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.2.5  seeder  GregTx  replied to  bbl-1 @1.2.4    3 years ago

Not my job. I'm a LS and have never known an engineer (despite my rather low opinion of engineers) to utilize racism in their design. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  GregTx @1    3 years ago

Can you imagine "racist" roads!

And that idiot is probably who they are going to run in 2024.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    3 years ago

I wonder if all the MLK Jr highways, boulevards and streets are racist if they were constructed using the same methods mentioned here?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.1    3 years ago

The methods mentioned here defy logic. Yet Buttigieg might just be what they go with in 2024. You see, when he says insane things he makes it sound normal. It won't help them next time!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Is he back after taking months off for paternity leave?

It's a sign of how worthless his position is that he took months off during the worst transportation crises in decades and nobody noticed.  

And this is what he returned to do. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3  Right Down the Center    3 years ago

Thank God this is finally being addressed.  I was traveling down a highway just today and I was thinking "Wow, is this road racist or what"?  Good to hear one billion of tax payer dollars will go to changing this.  Maybe they should change the color of roads while they are at it.  I mean, a black road that white people drive on.........I can't think of anything more racist than that.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4  squiggy    3 years ago

“…will consider local desires as they identify projects,”

So, the guy has a cure in his hand and he will now to try to find a disease? Let’s go.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    3 years ago

What is he going to do, make asphalt a different color?  Add tinting to the white cement?  

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    3 years ago

So, when they build the original Interstate system, it was somehow wrong to use the lowest priced land?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    3 years ago

This is what you get when you elect people like Biden.  

Dipshits like Buttigieg and Granholm in high cabinet positions.

What a f'n joke they both are.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    3 years ago

Is this the biggest problem in transportation today?  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @8    3 years ago

The guy couldn't run South Bend Indiana.

It amazes me that people expect big things out of him as US Transportation Secretary.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sparty On @8.1    3 years ago

I'm honestly surprised he can blink and breath without assistance.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @8.1    3 years ago
It amazes me that people expect big things out of him as US Transportation Secretary.

Well he does have past experience concerning the Hershey Highway.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.1.3  Gazoo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.2    3 years ago

Lmfao!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.2    3 years ago

Lol yeah, i hear that's a two way street ....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.4    3 years ago

Here we go with the bla bla bla from four of five cackling right wingers. 

The damage you people are doing to this website is obvious. 

Address the goddamn seed.  Newstalkers doesnt need any more mindless right wing blather. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.5    3 years ago

Lol .... it is being addressed but you have to read it all.

The fact that you don't like what's being said is your problem John.

100% your problem.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.5    3 years ago

I believe the goddamn seed is being addressed. This is a virtue signaling nothing burger once again pandering, they think, to certain demographics using the fucking race card.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.5    3 years ago
The damage you people are doing to this website is obvious

Somebody has to keep the delusional left in check.

Address the goddamn seed.

FFS get over yourself.  The seed is being addressed.  

Newstalkers doesnt need any more mindless right wing blather.

But it's good if it's mindless left wing blather.  Good to know.