╌>

Vermont school gives fifth-graders sexuality survey, stoking outrage among parents

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  29 comments

By:    Paulina Dedaj

Vermont school gives fifth-graders sexuality survey, stoking outrage among parents
Vanessa Beach, who posted portions of the survey on Facebook, said it was “ridiculous and unnerving” that her 10-year-old daughter was asked to disclose such information.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Vermont elementary school’s decision to ask fifth-grade students about their sexual history and gender identity has left many parents furious.

Students at Windsor State Street School were given a survey that asked them about their sexual preferences, their biological sex and how they “identify” as and if they have had a “romantic relationship” in that past year that involved a “sexual partner.”

Vanessa Beach, who posted portions of the survey on Facebook, said it was “ridiculous and unnerving” that her 10-year-old daughter was asked to disclose such information.

Beach said in her post that she has no problem discussing sexuality, but that it’s shocking that fifth-grade students were asked about something they may not yet understand.

“It’s none of their business,” she wrote. “What if my child was having a hard time with her sexuality?”

The survey was given to students on behalf of a nonprofit domestic violence prevention and advocacy group, Women's Information Services (WISE).

Parents were supposedly given a notice allowing them to opt out of the questions on behalf of their children, but Beach says she never received anything and was only made aware of the survey when her daughter brought it home.

She says other parents also complained about never receiving any notice.

School Principal Tiffany Cassano told Fox News in a statement that the survey was given to approximately 10 fifth-grade students as a part of a research project at the University of New Hampshire.

"WISE and school guidance sent a letter home to families of 5th and 6th graders, informing them of the upcoming program that was being offered and the survey that would be distributed," Cassano said. "The letter gave parents the right to opt out of participating in the survey. Students were also given the right to opt out of participating in the survey after engaging in a conversation around consent and what it means to give consent."

Cassano said that administration did not see the survey before it was given to students and that it has been "suspended" since.

"While we recognize the content of the survey was very sensitive and caused unsettling feelings for some parents, it was most certainly not intended to harm or sway students to consider different beliefs about gender or relationships."

Attempts to reach WISE for comment were unsuccessful.

Beach said that the school district worked immediately to address her complaints and was apologetic from the start but she said that the situation is still troubling.

"A classroom is not the proper place to discuss a child's sexuality.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

As an American I take this seriously.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    3 years ago

Sounds like a lot of outraged people!  A lot of white outraged people.  Why are they so outraged all the time?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

I thought you liked suburban women. [deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

Don't put words in my mouth.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    3 years ago

You are asking yourself to not put words in your own mouth?

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

Why are they so outraged all the time?

They are terrified of the answers they may get.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.4  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @2    3 years ago

Who knows. Just a lot of whining about nothing. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

What difference does it make if one is an American?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

Another Faux 'news' sourced 'article'.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    3 years ago

Get involved in your kids education people, before it's too late.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @5    3 years ago

Do you not think that middle schoolers have knowledge of sex? What sort of Mayberry do you live in?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @5.1    3 years ago
Do you not think that middle schoolers have knowledge of sex?

Setting your sophomoric, snarky insult aside ..... did i say that?   No i did not.

The decision of if, when and how sex ed is taught in schools is the parents decision through their school boards not the school systems through the teachers and/or teacher unions.

As a parent i think fifth grade is definitely too soon and not the schools job at that point.   At that point it's the parents business only and their job only.   Let em at least hit puberty, which would be around middle school before you even think about teaching sex ed and then make it all about education.   Not indoctrination.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.3  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    3 years ago

We had sex ed' starting in the late 1970s and we knew more than what they were telling us.  It got to the point where we would gather in groups at recess and write down the most embarrassing questions as a way to see who could make the uptight teacher blush the most or refuse to outright answer the question.  Asking questions about oral sex was the most fun.

Kids aren't as stupid as you think they are, especially in the age of the internet.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @5.1.3    3 years ago
We had sex ed' starting in the late 1970s and we knew more than what they were telling us.

Good, then i guess you didn't need a sex ed course at that time did you?

Kids aren't as stupid as you think they are, especially in the age of the internet.

I never said kids were stupid.

What is it with some folks need to put words in other people mouths.   It's a pretty major malfunction for some folks, the psychological underpinnings of which are an interesting study.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.5  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.4    3 years ago

The class was mandatory. We didn't have a choice. Stop being so sexually uptight. Maybe you think that teens won't be sexually active if they are not taught sex ed' but the facts prove otherwise. Leaving sex ed' to parents does not teach teens what they need to know to make good decisions.

The sex education laws and policies in each of the 48 states studied were analyzed to determine the extent to which the state emphasized abstinence in its sex education program. (North Dakota and Wyoming were excluded, as they had no state law or policy regarding sex or STD and HIV education as of 2005.) States were assigned ordinal values from 0 to 3 in four categories of emphasis: no provision (0), abstinence covered (1), abstinence promoted (2), and abstinence stressed (3). The most recent data available from national reports on teenage pregnancy, teenage births, and abortion rates among teens 15 to 19 years of age were from 2005.

Data analysis showed that the more abstinence was stressed, the higher were the rates of teen pregnancy and births. Of the four approaches, the most effective was level 1, which included comprehensive sex or HIV education (or both) and covered contraception, condom use, and abstinence.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @5.1.5    3 years ago
The class was mandatory.

I'm sure it was but that doesn't answer the question i asked

We didn't have a choice. Stop being so sexually uptight.

Lol

Leaving sex ed' to parents does not teach teens what they need to know to make good decisions.

Wow, just wow.   Is that how you felt with your kids?   Have you has any kids?

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.7  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.6    3 years ago

Yes, it was. She went to a sex-ed cause at the local hospital taught by nurses and Ob-Gyn.  She was taught medical facts and not opinions or beliefs.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @5.1.7    3 years ago

So basically what you are saying is that you trusted a near stranger to teacher your daughter that, more than you trusted yourself?

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.9  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.8    3 years ago

I trusted qualified and experienced medical professionals who have made it their career to learn and care for rep[rodective issues.   Who is more qualified to teach sex education than Drs and nurses?  My knowledge is not half of what they know.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @5.1.9    3 years ago

Your prerogative.    

Many of us don’t want to abdicate such parental responsibilities to other people.

Sex Ed isn’t rocket engineering after all ......

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.11  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.10    3 years ago

Do you know as much as a Dr or a nurse about sexual health and reproduction?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @5.1.11    3 years ago

People know more about their own kids than any doctor or nurse ever will.   I for one have no problem accepting the responsibility of raising my on kids to be well adjusted people.    No need to involve strangers for such things.

Again, sex Ed in this context is not rocket science and sure as shit doesn’t need to be learned in a public school, by god knows who teaching it.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago

It's sad that some don't see the problem with 2 states exposed as overstepping.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    3 years ago

Its just more faux indignation from Faux 'news' and alleged conservatives.  Its a nothingberder, as usual

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

They were too young to even comprehend what the survey meant.  Maybe Canada's education system was really slow back in my day, but we didn't get sex education until it was given in our Health class in university freshman class (or is it necessary to now call that "freshperson class"?) - a video was shown and there was no teacher-to-student lesson.  What I will never forget was the scene where a sperm was approaching an egg and someone shouted "KEEP AWAY" and the whole room exploded with laughter.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
8  Moose Knuckle    3 years ago

I didn't even masturbate or smoke crack until my 20's. Call me a late bloomer.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  Gordy327  replied to  Moose Knuckle @8    3 years ago

Better late than never, right?