╌>

Echo: Hawkeye Spinoff Series Announced by Marvel

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  evilgenius  •  3 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   By CHARLIE RIDGELY - November 12, 2021 12:17 pm EST

Echo: Hawkeye Spinoff Series Announced by Marvel
Echo will be making her Marvel Cinematic Universe debut in the upcoming Hawkeye TV series, but the character is already preparing for a long tenure in the franchise. Fortunately, when fans see actress Alaqua Cox portray the comic character in Hawkeye next month, they won't have to wonder or [...]

New actress Alaqua Cox grew up on the Menominee Indian Reservation in Keshena, Wisconsin and is of the Menominee and Mohican nation.  She played basketball and volleyball for the girls team at the Wisconsin School for the Deaf. Cox is also an amputee with a prosthetic leg. There are no entries for Cox on IMDB except for Hawkeye and upcoming Echo series.

In the comics Maya Lopez aka Echo could copy any physical act she could see after the first time. She dated Matt Murdock and battled Daredevil, took up Hawkeye's old Ronin mantel and with the help of the Avengers fought the super ninja group The Hand. Later she dated Moonknight which will also be a new series staring Oscar Issacs next year.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Echo will be making her Marvel Cinematic Universe debut in the upcoming Hawkeye TV series, but the character is already preparing for a long tenure in the franchise. Fortunately, when fans see actress Alaqua Cox portray the comic character in Hawkeye next month, they won't have to wonder or theorize when she will pop up in the MCU next. Echo is getting her own TV series on Disney+, and Disney+ Day revealed the first look at the series logo, which you can check out below.

Reports of a solo Echo TV series surfaced back in March, while Hawkeye was still in production. On Friday morning, as a part of the Disney+ Day celebration, Marvel Studios and Disney+ officially announced that the Echo series was in development. Cox will reprise her role as Echo, with Men in Black 3 and Tropic Thunder writers Emily and Etan Cohen writing the scripts and serving as executive producers.

Echo, aka Maya Lopez, is an extraordinary and unique hero for Marvel. She'll be the first Native American hero in the MCU and the second deaf character, following Eternals speedster Makkari, played by Lauren Ridloff. In the comics, Echo's father is killed by Kingpin and the villain ultimately decides to adopt her. There's no telling just yet how she will fit into the MCU, or if her debut will eventually help bring Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin into the fold.

It's not often that an actor's first on-screen role is part of the world's biggest entertainment franchise and a gateway to your own TV series, but that's exactly what happened to Cox when she landed the part of Echo. She was working at an Amazon facility when Marvel put out the casting call.

"It's crazy how much my life has already changed because I was a college dropout. I worked at a factory. I'm so excited to show people who I am and what I can do, what anybody can do," Cox told People Magazine ahead of Hawkeye's premiere.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    3 years ago

Deaf, amputee, Native American woman gets her own kick ass series! I'm all in...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  evilone @1    3 years ago

I'd have dozens of comments by now if I reported some bullshit political partisan article.... Instead I'm talking to myself.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @1    3 years ago

Some people are not that into superheroes or science fiction. 

Its like anything else on a small forum. You are looking for a niche audience. 

I recently wrote a short article on a tv series I liked. It got one comment. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    3 years ago
Some people are not that into superheroes or science fiction. 

I get it. I do. Perhaps I should start looking for a new forum site?

I recently wrote a short article on a tv series I liked. It got one comment. 

I must have missed it. I don't log in here when I'm not at work (evenings and weekends). 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    3 years ago

I dont know if you should look for another forum but there a lot of seeds here that get few comments. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @1    3 years ago
I'm all in...

Me too. I'm looking forward to the new Hawkeye series as well. It's about time Hawk got some love. The last decade or so has been like a superhero renaissance. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Gordy327 @1.3    3 years ago
The last decade or so has been like a superhero renaissance. 

I'm finding these secondary characters that I never followed getting some love is most interesting. I've never read a Moonknight or Echo comic, so this journey through the MCU will be a new thing for me.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Gordy327 @1.3    3 years ago
It's about time Hawk got some love.

I just watched a YouTuber's first reaction video to the first two episodes and said it seemed to be more Steinfeld centric than Renner, a little darker and more like the Netflix Defender stuff. Temper expectations accordingly she said. Some of the stuff like WandaVision and Loki were so good the bar was set high and this is still good, but maybe not as good as the best we've seen. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.3  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @1.3.1    3 years ago
so this journey through the MCU will be a new thing for me.

Enjoy the ride. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

it seemed to be more Steinfeld centric than Renner,

That would make sense as Kate Bishop (Steinfeld's character) takes up the Hawkeye mantle in the comics. As the "old" Avengers step down (Tony & Natasha died, Capt. America retired, Thor in space, Wanda elsewhere), new Avengers will step in to take their place.

a little darker and more like the Netflix Defender stuff.

Good. Given the usual Disney fluff, a little darkness might be refreshing and make for a more interesting story.

Some of the stuff like WandaVision and Loki were so good the bar was set high and this is still good, but maybe not as good as the best we've seen.

So far, Loki was the best, IMO. Wanda started slow but then really pulled you in with a deeper story than expected. Falcon & WS was good and tied the loose ends and issues between the characters nicely. So we'll see where that leads. So I have high expectations about Hawkeye, so we'll see.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.4  seeder  evilone  replied to  Gordy327 @1.3.3    3 years ago
new Avengers will step in to take their place.

People are speculating on a Young Avengers setup...

a little darkness might be refreshing and make for a more interesting story.

I agree.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.3.5  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @1.3.4    3 years ago
People are speculating on a Young Avengers setup..

A possibility. Perhaps something for Phase 5?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4  Kavika   replied to  evilone @1    3 years ago

Me too

evilone
Professor Guide
1.4.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Kavika @1.4    3 years ago

How cool is it a deaf Kenosha NA woman working at an Amazon shipping warehouse get's top billing for the biggest entertainment company on the planet? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @1.4.1    3 years ago

Beyond cool.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    3 years ago

Sorry but I am about burned out on anything Marvel or Star Wars.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ender @2    3 years ago
Sorry but I am about burned out on anything Marvel or Star Wars.

I'm burned out on partisan politics. Unfortunately it's all NT has to offer. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  evilone @2.1    3 years ago

And just think, next year is elections so it will be ramped up even more.

Ok, we might need Hawkeye,  Haha

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    3 years ago
And just think, next year is elections so it will be ramped up even more.

I'm so not looking forward to it. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Ender  replied to  evilone @2.1.2    3 years ago

Neither am I. The rhetoric now is bad enough.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    3 years ago
Ok, we might need Hawkeye,  Haha

Nah, I'm thinking we need Thanos back. Maybe his plan wasn't so bad after all.

Herbic
Freshman Silent
3  Herbic    3 years ago

I thought her character would be blind, it's better than it.