╌>

Pregnant librarian killed after pulling gun on motorcyclist in road rage row

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

When she refused to pull over, Mr Derr and the witness continued to follow Ms Morales to her home, where she ran inside to grab a handgun, authorities said. She emerged from the home with her gun and confronted Mr Derr and the witness in the street before being shot multiple times by the motorcyclist.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

www.msn.com   /en-us/news/crime/pregnant-librarian-killed-after-pulling-gun-on-motorcyclist-in-road-rage-row/ar-AARgxXs

AARgxXp.img?w=768&h=589&m=6&x=271&y=213&s=426&d=426

2-3 minutes   %published-time%

A pregnant librarian was killed after she allegedly pulled a gun on a motorcyclist in a road rage row in Florida.

Sara Nicole Morales, 35, was shot dead by Andrew Derr during a confrontation outside her home in Orange City on 20 November.

The incident began when Ms Morales allegedly intentionally hit Mr Derr’s motorcycle with her car on North Volusia Avenue and fled the scene, the Orange City Police Department said in a   news release .

Mr Derr and a witness called police and followed Ms Morales to an intersection where they demanded she stop to await officers’ arrival.

When she refused to pull over, Mr Derr and the witness continued to follow Ms Morales to her home, where she ran inside to grab a handgun, authorities said.

She emerged from the home with her gun and confronted Mr Derr and the witness in the street before being shot multiple times by the motorcyclist.

Ms Morales, who was around five months pregnant, was airlifted to Halifax Health Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

She is survived by her fiancé and an 11-year-old daughter.

Mr Derr, who has a concealed carry permit, remained at the scene until police arrived and is said to be cooperating with investigators.

Body camera footage obtained by   Fox 35 Orlando   shows officers ordering Mr Derr to stay on the ground moments after the shooting.

He is heard telling the officers: “Please don’t shoot me! That girl tried to kill me. She pointed a gun at me.”

As he is placed in handcuffs, Mr Derr says: “I’m so sorry.”

No charges have been filed against Mr Derr as the investigation remains ongoing.

Police said they confirmed his account of the shooting through multiple interviews.

From news to politics, travel to sport, culture to climate – The Independent has a host of free newsletters to suit your interests. To find the stories you want to read, and more, in your inbox, click   here .

Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Which one was the "good guy with a gun"?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

The guy that got hit....of course

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Andrew Derr.  Clear it was self defense.  But then again, there are those that believe that's not a justified reason for shooting somebody.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2  GregTx    3 years ago

sick..

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
3  al Jizzerror    3 years ago

I'm glad there was a witness.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    3 years ago

The details are obviously not yet known but I find it hard to believe that firing a gun (especially multiple times) into this woman's body was the only reasonable course of action.     Given she emerged with a gun and was threatening only the motorcyclist, why could he not simply back off and wait for the police?   This is not like taking down a gunman in a crowd who is trying to kill people.

Just do not see how killing this woman was the only reasonable choice.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @4    3 years ago

Don't pull a gun unless you intend to use it. She found out that the hard way.

But somehow this is all his fault after she intentionally hit his motorcycle; fled the scene; then refused to wait for police; and finally pulls a gun on him. How was he supposed to know she wasn't going to shoot him?

She was having her Darwin Award winning moment; unfortunately it will be her last.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    3 years ago
But somehow this is all his fault after she intentionally hit his motorcycle;  ...

Are you suggesting I am stating this is all his fault?    If so, reread my comment.

Hint:  the details of the incident have not yet been presented so we can only guess at what really happened.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    3 years ago

I blame pregnancy hormones

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    3 years ago

That thought crossed my mind too.   But you would have a much deeper understanding of those critters.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @4    3 years ago

Apparently no one was interested in de-escalation or in calling the cops.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago
The incident began when Ms Morales allegedly intentionally hit Mr Derr’s motorcycle with her car

He claims. Anyway, 

Why follow her home? Why continue to harass her so that she ends up going to that extreme? Just get her license plate or address (since he followed her) and call the cops.

Alternatively, she could have hid inside her house and called the cops. The whole thing is crazy.

There was no reason this had to go this far.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago

I think from what i read in other places that he actually was getting her address and plate , and was going to wait for the cops out in the street .

what people are forgetting is exactly how fast a situation like this can go from bad to worse , it can literally be in the space of heartbeats of time , minutes or even seconds where choices are made just that quick .

Somehow , i doubt he will face any charges , just from some of my own views and what has been presented .

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    3 years ago

Everyone needs a gun. We can see things like this more often.

This way, everyday citizens can become judge jury and executioner.

No need for court systems.

In stupid all around I just needed to point out that if a woman is being followed, do not go home. Go to a police station or a safe place.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @6    3 years ago
if a woman is being followed, do not go home. Go to a police station or a safe place.

Absolutely

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

It's safer, before you do anything, to just assume the other person has a gun and will use it . 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I dont think the pregnant woman wanted to get into a shootout with anyone. I think she thought her gun would intimidate him , not realizing he had his own.