╌>

Betty White, Iconic TV Star Dies at 99, Weeks Before 100th Birthday

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freewill  •  3 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   Jon Jackson (Newsweek)

Betty White, Iconic TV Star Dies at 99, Weeks Before 100th Birthday
The beloved actress would have celebrated her 100th birthday on January 17.

Just when we thought that 2021 could not get any worse!  Two of my favorites passed in the last few days.  First John Madden, the reason for most Raider fans being fans, and now one of my favorite comedians Betty White.  May they both rest in peace and my condolences to their families, friends and fans everywhere.  They will truly be missed.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NewsActressHollywoodCalifornia

Beloved actress Betty White died Friday at the age of 99, her publicist confirmed.

White's career spanned decades and included memorable roles on The Golden Girls and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. She also became a popular presence in television commercials and talk shows. In 2010, White became the oldest person to ever host Saturday Night Live at the age of 88.

"Even though Betty was about to be 100, I thought she would live forever," White's agent, Jeff Witjas, told People in a statement. "I will miss her terribly and so will the animal world that she loved so much."

Betty White died Friday at the age of 99. In this photo, White is seen at the "SNL 40th Anniversary Celebration" at Rockefeller Plaza on February 15, 2015, in New York City. D Dipasupil/FilmMagic

White's long career in show business began when she was eight years old with an appearance on a radio program in 1930. She was appearing on early television broadcasts by 1939 and found success in modeling.

She once had a radio show called The Betty White Show, which also served as the name of a daily talk and variety show that premiered in 1954 on NBC. That show prompted protests from some viewers due to its inclusion of a Black cast member, but White refused to remove him from the show even after stations threatened boycotts.

Her husband, actor and television personality Allen Ludden, passed away in 1981.

"I don't think Betty ever feared passing because she always wanted to be with her most beloved husband Allen Ludden," Witjas said in his statement to People. "She believed she would be with him again."

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Freewill    3 years ago

Rest in peace Betty White... and say hi to John Madden for us.  You two have made a huge impact on more lives than you know!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Both Betty White and John Madden were one of a kind

RIP Betty.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3  arkpdx    3 years ago

Rest in peace. Now she am be reunited with her beloved Allen Ludden. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    3 years ago

She really seemed immortal.   And she, like George Burns, remained active her entire life.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freewill  replied to  TᵢG @4    2 years ago
And she, like George Burns, remained active her entire life

Certainly something I hope that we can all do, live life to its fullest from beginning to end, even when that end comes too soon.

“When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

- Stuart Scott, 2015

I don't know what made me think of my favorite SportsCenter personality, but I think his outlook on life, like Betty's, was what made them seem "immortal".  Indeed they will live on in our memories for a very long time to come.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Sorry to hear the news, but at least she had more good years than most of us will most likely have.  Look at the good side of this - now Maude will have someone to balance her caustic comments.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    2 years ago

And the cast of Mary Tyler Moore has been reunited.