╌>

LAPD identifies UCLA student Brianna Kupfer's murder suspect

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  110 comments

By:   Marjorie Hernandez (New York Post)

LAPD identifies UCLA student Brianna Kupfer's murder suspect
Los Angeles police identified Shawn Laval Smith as the man they say stabbed student Brianna Kupfer to death inside a furniture store where she worked.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Los Angeles police identified the man they say stabbed UCLA student Brianna Kupfer to death inside a high-end furniture store where she worked, hours after offering a record-breaking $250,000 reward for information leading to the suspected killer.

Shawn Laval Smith, 31, was considered armed and dangerous and "highly likely to be using public transportation," the LAPD announced Tuesday.

Covina Police Department officials said Smith was arrested and released from jail without paying bail in October of 2020 after being cited for a misdemeanor, but the father of the victim told The Post he "heard his rap sheet is much worse."

Kupfer, 24, was killed the afternoon of Jan. 13 in a random attack as she worked alone in the store at Croft House on North La Brea Ave., police said.

Police are searching for 31-year-old suspect Shawn Laval Smith, who is considered armed and dangerous and "highly likely to be using public transportation."LAPD

She had texted a friend to say someone came into the store and was "giving her a bad vibe," LAPD Lt. John Radtke said at a news conference prior to the release of the suspect's identity.

The killer then stabbed Kupfer in what cops said was "a random act of violence," then left through the back door without taking anything, cops said. He was seen calmly walking down the street, according to cops.

A would-be customer later found Kupfer dead. Police had released surveillance footage of the suspect and announced the large reward — a combination of municipal reward money and community donations.

Prior to her murder, Kupfer had texted a friend to say someone came into the store and was "giving her a bad vibe."APEX / MEGAKupfer was working inside Croft House, a high-end retail store, when Shawn Laval Smith allegedly came in and stabbed her to death.AP

Todd Kupfer said he felt some relief that police were able to identify the suspect who killed his daughter and hoped an arrest will be made soon. He said investigators told him they had a solid break in the case.

"The detectives felt really confident that the surveillance videos and various information they had would lead them to positive identification," Kupfer told The Post Tuesday night.

"I don't know exactly what the break was but the detectives told me they were working. These are good detectives who really care about their jobs and who were working very diligently and they were reassuring me that this was something they're working on 24/7."

According to Sgt. David Rodriguz of the Covina Police Department, Smith was arrested on Oct. 27, 2020 at a Home Depot for misdemeanor receiving stolen property. Smith bought an item at the store, but employees stopped him after they found other things from the store in his possession, Rodriguez said.

Covina Police released Smith the same day without bail but cited him to appear back in court. However, the LA County District Attorney's Office decided not to file any charges for that arrest, Rodriguez said.

According to Charleston County court records, Smith was charged for felony discharging a firearm on Nov. 14, 2019. He posted a $50,000 bond on Nov. 23, 2019. As part of his release, Smith was ordered not to contact victims or any family members of the victims, and not to verbally harass them on social media.

Shawn Laval Smith has been released from jail on $1,000 in October of 2020 after being charged with a misdemeanor, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department records show. Los Angeles Police Department

The grieving father said that police told him Smith should have been behind bars.

"I heard his rap sheet is much worse than that, but that tells you that somebody is not doing their job and there needs to be a change," Kupfer said.

"We all recognize that this could have happened to be anybody's child. It's just senseless. My daughter was a completely innocent victim and there was 100 percent no provocation.

"This touched a really raw nerve. This needs to be a reminder for everyone to ask themselves, 'Look, do we really want this kind of danger in our lives? What are we doing here?' This has to change."

The killer stabbed Kupfer, as cops said was "a random act of violence," then left through the back door without taking anything, cops said.LAPD

Kupfer was studying architectural design and worked at the store as a design consultant.

The 6'3" 190 pound Smith had recently been in Pasadena, Santa Monica, West Hollywood and other southern California locations, according to a poster released by LAPD.

The department said "special attention" should be given to bus stops and train platforms in the search.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

He is still at large and is considered armed and dangerous. The liberal/progressives turned him loose.

If you see him, give the police a call.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Senseless bullshit once again....................

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Where in the story does it say liberals or progressives turned him loose?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago

We all know who the DA is in LA...or are we going to pretend that this incident wasn't avoidable?

He was released from jail without paying bail in October of 2020 after being cited for a misdemeanor.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago
"Where in the story does it say liberals or progressives turned him loose?"

It doesn't. 

I've been waiting for someone to name the liberals/progressives who 'turned him loose'.   They haven't provided any facts to the contrary.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

Random black person most wanted poster.  

If you see him, give the police a call.

Oh, so your motive is to help the police locate this black guy by engaging the huge membership at NT to be on the lookout.  Smart.  The bad black guy should be caught in no time now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    2 years ago

Ya!  The the multitude of readers of these 'articles' will definitely be on the look out now for this random black person most wanted poster.  

A real public service announcement - such pure motives!!!!!!!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 years ago

And you say he shouldn't be apprehended?

How come?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 years ago

Don't put words in my mouth.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    2 years ago

You focused on his race! 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    2 years ago

Lol!!  You posted this totally random black people are bad article, [Deleted] you asked NT members to be on the lookout for him.  This is next level trolling.  Respect!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

So you think he should be left alone because he is black?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Sunshine  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.1    2 years ago
You posted this totally random black people are bad article,

Do the random white people are bad seeds upset you this much?  This is the first I have seen an article about who the perp is and it is good to know but you want to turn this into your own self-righteous bullshit.

Get a life!  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.1    2 years ago

We know who focused on race here Hal.  Ya, we sure do!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    2 years ago

No, really Vic - I want to thank you for bringing this important national news story to everyone’s attention here at NT.  If not for your valiant efforts to bring this perp to justice, nobody would even have known that this violent black man was on the loose.  Thank you for keeping us safe, and keep up the good work.  Lord knows how many more violent black people most wanted posters you could dig up.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.4    2 years ago

It was Hal. All he needed to see was a wanted poster with a black face and he flipped out!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.4    2 years ago

No, it wasn't Hal.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.5    2 years ago

Clearly you are upset that the picture of the perpetrator was posted. It bothers you for some reason. I wonder what that reason is?

You did say "black man," right?

Really Hal, I want to see how you get out of this one.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.5    2 years ago

Don't worry Hal.  You have nothing to 'get out of'.

We see very clearly what's going on here.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.10  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.8    2 years ago

Wait - why are you being so mean?  I’m laying praise on your efforts to bring this violent black man to justice.  Why are you doubting my sincerity?  You and I aren’t the type to be disingenuous - we need teamwork to rid the streets of the violent black people.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.9    2 years ago

He'd be even more worried if I started posting pictures of victims.

She was only 24 years old:

brianna-kupfer.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

A graduate student

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.10    2 years ago
Wait - why are you being so mean?

The word is honest and I'm only delivering some of your own medicine to you......for all to see

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.11    2 years ago

Oh … my … God!!  He killed a white person!!!  I can’t believe his audacity!!  Good thing you got the opportunity to squeeze that photo in.  Teamwork makes the dream work!  You’re welcome for the assist.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.14  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.13    2 years ago

He killed a young girl with her life ahead of her.

And the point was that he was out on bail.

Why are you squirming?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.15    2 years ago

They are upset that I posted a wanted poster.....because as Hal points out its a "bad black guy."

Why would that upset him?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.18  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.17    2 years ago
bad black guy

The crime or the hate?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.19  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.14    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.19    2 years ago

That's the point. Behind this tragedy is a progressive District Attorney by the name of George Gascon.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.22  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.16    2 years ago

You will be totally vindicated when an NT member finds this bad black man and turns him in.  I know I’ll be on the lookout in my neck of the woods, only 2,600 miles away from the crime scene.  Wait, I knew a guy in college who had an aunt that lived in northern CA - let me contact him to contact her to cover that end of the state.  We’ll get him.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.23  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kathleen @2.2.20    2 years ago

That's right. This particular young woman's death is going to make a common story into a front page story.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.24  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.21    2 years ago
Behind this tragedy is a progressive District Attorney by the name of George Gascon.

Yep, but they would rather make it about you.  Classic liberal deflection.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.26  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.22    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.27  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    2 years ago

LOL

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.28  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.22    2 years ago

So you're making jokes about a young woman's murder?

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.29  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.27    2 years ago

It's almost as bad as stirring up racial animosity. We do remember what happened in Wisconsin, don't we?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.30  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.13    2 years ago

Looks like you're the one delivering some medicine to some folks here . . . . for all to see.

Ya!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.31  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.30    2 years ago

Is that the way it looks to you?

You still have the old Jabali glasses?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.32  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.30    2 years ago

WTF are Jabali glasses?

It's obvious who is getting their ass handed to them and it is not Hal.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.33  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.10    2 years ago

Why would be worried if anyone posted pictures of victims?

I believe we've all seen her picture.  

Tragic end for a young woman.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.34  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.32    2 years ago

Only in the world of those who pretend to be ignoring people.

What happened to your oath?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.35  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.30    2 years ago

Let's not spill the beans again.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.36  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.2.22    2 years ago
"I know Hal. You get to call people racists, then when you get nailed for it, you call your friend. Not a good look."

Am I the friend that you allegedly called?

How have you 'been nailed'?

I know what isn't a 'good look' here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.37  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.36    2 years ago

You're asking Hal?

You are going to have to actually break your oath and face me if you want an answer.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    2 years ago

Hal, you probably remember that we used to have a member here whose name rhymes with wish who would regularly post pictures of black violent criminals. The more degenerate the black violent criminal looked the better for the purposes of posting the picture.  He's not fooling anyone.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    2 years ago

Neither are you. You are another obsessed with race.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    2 years ago

Open the link JR. That picture is part of the damned article. Grow the hell up. And your little dog too.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.3.1    2 years ago

Remind us of all the articles you've seeded about white murderers Vic

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.3.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    2 years ago

I saw this article in my news feed this morning.  The sort of crime that happens every day in a nation of hundreds of millions of people, with perps and victims of all ethnicities.  It never occurred to me that NT could use its vast resources for good.  Good thing we have a crack(head) team of quick thinking justice warriors at the ready to suss out this particular perp.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.3    2 years ago

I never have, but just look at those who came running through the door over a wanted poster.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.3.5    2 years ago

The key words are justice warriors. I'll be very kind to the three of you today. At least until high noon.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.4    2 years ago

They have to be white, huh?  How about the most recent: the murder of Ahmaud Arbery, or did you forget that I did an article on that?

My turn:

Why are you obsessed with race?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2    2 years ago
Random black person most wanted poster.  

[Deleted]

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.4.1  zuksam  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.4    2 years ago

I don't understand what about the poster seems random to them. It shows a very clear picture that should make it easy to identify him and even includes his name. Apparently (according to some) it's racist to show a picture of a murderer on a wanted poster if that murderer happens to be black.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.4.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  zuksam @2.4.1    2 years ago
don't understand what about the poster seems random to them.

Apparently in their little minds all blacks look the same.  And calling them out on it is "trolling".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    2 years ago

What liberals/progressives turned him loose?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3    2 years ago

Read the fucking article...............

According to Sgt. David Rodriguz of the Covina Police Department, Smith was arrested on Oct. 27, 2020 at a Home Depot for misdemeanor receiving stolen property. Smith bought an item at the store, but employees stopped him after they found other things from the store in his possession, Rodriguez said.

Covina Police released Smith the same day without bail but cited him to appear back in court. However, the LA County District Attorney's Office decided not to file any charges for that arrest, Rodriguez said.

According to Charleston County court records, Smith was charged for felony discharging a firearm on Nov. 14, 2019. He posted a $50,000 bond on Nov. 23, 2019. As part of his release, Smith was ordered not to contact victims or any family members of the victims, and not to verbally harass them on social media.

Shawn Laval Smith has been released from jail on $1,000 in October of 2020 after being charged with a misdemeanor, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department records show. Los Angeles Police Department

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    2 years ago
Read the fucking article........

Lol

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @3    2 years ago
What liberals/progressives turned him loose?

Apparently all cops, judges, the DA and the justice system that allows bail are "liberal/progressives"... If they were conservative they would have locked him up indefinitely for shoplifting.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    2 years ago
Apparently all cops, judges, the DA and the justice system that allows bail are "liberal/progressives"... If they were conservative they would have locked him up indefinitely for shoplifting.
  • Gascon   also said that he will no longer charge juveniles as adults, even when they commit adult crimes like rape and murder. Additionally, Gascon says that misdemeanors and non-violent felonies won’t be prosecuted. Not content with just making sure no one in Los Angeles is safe, Gascon also wants to ensure that the “racist” police are screwed too:

https://defconnews.com/2020/12/09/new-da-george-gascon-decriminalizes-crime-in-los-angeles-because-he-claims-law-enforcement-is-racist/#:~:

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    2 years ago
If they were conservative they would have locked him up indefinitely for shoplifting.

Didn't read the whole of 3.1 I see.................................

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    2 years ago

272045084_10226796200432577_9162308713167058580_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8XpEpTeEQC4AX9jq3QU&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT-cis9Pj_nErOmyn2O6BYCT0z8RtFj9mdl0zaIrlcoNZw&oe=61EDE140

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    2 years ago

Such hostility for an innocent question and no answer provided regarding what liberals/progressives turned him loose. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @4    2 years ago

He gave you the answer, which you wouldn't read for a second time.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    2 years ago

No answer was provided no matter how many times it's read.  I saw no naming of any liberals/progressives who 'turned him loose'.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5    2 years ago

You refuse to read and you refuse facts.

What are we to do?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    2 years ago
you refuse to read and you refuse facts.

I'd be happy to see proper  use of  a reply button

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.1    2 years ago

Me too!  Lol

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    2 years ago

I read and I acknowledge facts when they're provided.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6    2 years ago
removed 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

These horrific crimes have become so common under the left, I think I'll post one every day!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    2 years ago

Another great idea!  Isn’t is obvious that perps like this violent black man purposely wait until Democrats are own the White House, Senate, and House to launch their murderous rampage?  I mean this stuff never happens when Republicans are in charge.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1    2 years ago

Crime is up under police defunding and these progressive DA's:

So yes, It is on progressives. They are directly responsible.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    2 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.2    2 years ago

Note that no cities' police forces have been defunded.  It would be nice to see actual facts here.  

These crimes are not the fault of liberals/progressives.  The blame lies on the perpetrators.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @8.1.2    2 years ago

I'm stating a belief. [Deleted]

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
9  Nowhere Man    2 years ago

Nah, it isn't liberals or liberal policies /s

There's a whole bunch more from all over the country with just a simple search ...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

WHERE’S BUTTIGIEG ON THESE L.A. TRAIN HEISTS?

Rail Theft up 160%, 90 Containers Hit Every Day - Including Law Enforcement Supplies.

FduYxkBH?format=jpg&name=small

That's beautiful LA.

zuksam
Junior Silent
10.1  zuksam  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    2 years ago

Why not steal, if the DA won't prosecute what do they have to lose. If I were the railroads insurance company I'd refuse to pay, they're parking containers right where they've been broken into before, they're just giving the stuff away.

charger 383
Professor Silent
10.1.1  charger 383  replied to  zuksam @10.1    2 years ago

Big railroads are self insured

Union Pacific has cut it's police force to get operating ratio lower  

Theft like this should not be allowed to continue

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

This just in Smith was just arrested at a bus stop in Pasadena.  Will anything happen to him?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

When a man has this many mug shots from previous arrests, what are the odds he would still be at large? What is wrong with our district attorneys that they simply won’t do their jobs? This young woman’s murder is a heinous stain on the records of all who enabled it.

FJfpywxVgAEtzuZ?format=jpg&name=small