╌>

Two Adults, A Teenager & An Infant Have Been Found Dead At The Canada-US Border

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  2 years ago  •  9 comments

Two Adults, A Teenager & An Infant Have Been Found Dead At The Canada-US Border

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Manitoba RCMP has confirmed that a group of people, including a teenager and an infant, have been found dead at the  Canada-U.S. border .

On January 20, the police force   revealed   that a day earlier, officers with the Integrated Border Enforcement Team received information from their U.S. counterparts that U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers had apprehended a group of people.

It is believed they crossed over into the U.S. from Canada near the town of Emerson, Manitoba.

According to police, one of the adults had items meant for an infant, but no infant was with the group.

After receiving the information just before 9:30 a.m. on January 19, a search was "immediately launched" by officers on both sides of the border.

RCMP officers, who were already in the area on patrol, conducted an "extensive" search and at around 1:30 p.m., the bodies of three people were found on the Canadian side of the border, just east of Emerson.

They have been identified as an adult male, an adult female and an infant.

"Fearing there may be additional victims, officers continued their search and located the body of an additional male, believed at this time to be in his mid-teens," Manitoba RCMP said.

All four people were located approximately 12 metres from the border, on the Canadian side.

"At this very early stage of the investigation, it appears that they all died due to exposure to the cold weather. Work is underway to identify the victims and an autopsy has been scheduled to confirm the cause of death," Manitoba RCMP said.

The area saw   temperatures in the negative 20s   overnight on January 18 and into January 19.

After the discovery, officers continued searching for "any possible survivors or additional victims" throughout the evening on January 19 and into January 20, but so far, nobody else has been found.

The RCMP will conduct an investigation into the situation and is working closely with U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    2 years ago

Condolences to friends and family but I do not understand why this happened.  Crossing at a legal crossing is not all that difficult between the US and Canada and if it's cold outside you dress for it, it's not like the temp was going to warm up 80 degrees as soon as they crossed into the US

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

I know that area well, born and raised in Warroad MN which is east of Emerson. I have cousin's that live in Pembina just over the border from Emerson on the Red River. 

It gets very very cold there. One has to wonder what in the world they were doing there the high temp was 4 below zero today, there is a border crossing in the area as well.

Condolences to family and friends.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

It looks like this was a case of human sumggling with people that had no idea how to deal with the elements in the area. 

Frozen Bodies Found Near Canadian Border After Florida Man Arrested for Human Smuggling

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @3    2 years ago

Kavika I just read that story a few minutes ago myself.  I wouldn't have guessed there was such a thing as human trafficing at the CANUS border

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @3.1    2 years ago

Yes, there is human trafficing at the border and it's been going on for a long time Freefaller.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4  shona1    2 years ago

Such a sad and very unnecessary ending for all of them.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  shona1 @4    2 years ago

Yes it is.

I read this and was going to comment and couldn't think of anything to say. Sometimes I am just at a loss for words.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

There have been suggestions on NT previously that the migrants at the American border with Mexico should be sent to Canada.  What happened at the Canada - US border is why that's not a very good idea.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    2 years ago

I think there's a big difference between the government bussing migrants up to the Canada border and handing off to Canadian Immigration officials and human smuggling attempts that avoid border check points.