╌>

Canada wins Olympic hockey gold after defeating rival U.S.

Category:  Sports

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   Adam Frisk CTVNews (Canada Television News)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Team Canada celebrates after defeating the United States in women's hockey gold medal game action at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Team Canada has won women's hockey gold after defeating the U.S. at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.

The Canadian women's hockey team defeated the defending Olympic champions 3-2 on Thursday.

Canada's Sarah Nurse opened the scoring early in the first period before team captain Marie-Philip Poulin added a pair of goals. Hilary Knight scored early in the second period for the U.S.

The U.S. made it 3-2 after Amanda Kessel scored with 12.5 seconds left in the third period.

Canada's Ann-Renee Desbiens stopped 38 shots on goal. Natalie Spooner appeared to have opened the scoring for Canada in the first period, but after a review the goal was called back due to the Canadians being offside. Less than a minute later, Nurse found the back of the net.

"It's a good feeling. This group is very special," Poulin told The Canadian Press after the win. "This group has been putting the work in since 2018. We've been having that motivation with that silver medal, but it's teamwork, it's one team from staff to player and it was huge today."

With five goals and 13 assists, Nurse set a tournament points record previously held by Canada's Hayley Wickenheiser in 2010. Brianne Jenner was named tournament MVP after tying a tournament high in goals with a team-leading nine.

"I didn't realize how much time was there left until I saw 12 seconds on the clock," Desbiens said. "You just try to make some save at a time.

"It didn't matter how much time was left on the clock. I think my teammates did a good job just doing the same thing they did all game long."

Thursday's win over the U.S. gave Canada its fifth women's hockey Olympic gold medal. Canada fell to the U.S. at the 2018 Winter Games 3-2 in South Korea. Canada has reached every final since women's hockey made its Olympic debut in 1998 in Nagano, Japan.

Canada now has 19 medals at the Beijing Olympics, including four gold.

--with files from The Canadian Press

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Makes a Canadian proud.  They can show the men how to play our national sport.  Hockey, our national winter sport, was invented in Canada in the 1800s, and declared by the National Sports of Canada Act to be Canada's national winter sport.  I grew up listening to Foster Hewitt shout over the radio on Saturday nights (Saturday night was always 'Hockey Night in Canada') "HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES".  Seems like if he were back with us today, it would be "SHE SHOOTS, SHE SCORES".

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

That is probably the most important Olympic event:  the US - Canadian hockey rivalry.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 years ago

I agree.  I can't think of a summer Olympic event that is as important as that particular rivalry.  Of course you have to admit that even the American teams are made up of a lot of Canadian players.  This Olympics I spent most of the time watching Curling.  I used to do it myself.  It may look like a glorified kind of shuffleboard but there is an awful lot of skill, technique, strategy and ingenuity that are required to play it well.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    2 years ago

It is a fun game to play even without the ice & skates.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

"But what's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  squiggy @1.2    2 years ago

Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe were farm boys?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

Between the US and Canada in women's hockey, they have won all the gold medals, seven in the series. 5 to 2 and the US was the defending champions.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I'm not a Canadian but I'm proud of them

Hallux
Masters Principal
3.1  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    2 years ago

Ditto on the other side ... and they will be back at it in Angers, France from 24 to 30 April 2022.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Good for them!!!!  These are hard fought games.  A lot of people don't realize how much more physical a hockey game is compared to the other sports (especially the NFL).  Throw in a rivalry and the game gets even more physical.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Of course this was genuine athletic entertainment. There was another show the IOC put on. They allowed a controversial skater to skate. In return they got TV ratings, a medal ceremony, the “good” Eteri girls winning, and the “bad” one getting completely broken by the situation. 

Hallux
Masters Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    2 years ago

Eteri is looking forward to padding her flock with Ukrainian girls.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Congrats to the ladies!

Anyone remember the "Miracle On Ice" at  Lake Placid in 1980?