╌>

Thief In The Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Is Being Ordered To Pay A Fine Of Over $9 Million

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  2 years ago  •  9 comments

Thief In The Canadian Maple Syrup Heist Is Being Ordered To Pay A Fine Of Over $9 Million

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One of the people involved in the infamous  Canadian maple syrup heist  is being ordered to pay a fine that's over $9 million!

Richard Vallières was arrested and found guilty of fraud, trafficking and theft relating to the theft, which is known as the  "Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist."

The theft was discovered in July 2012 when the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers did a routine inventory check at a warehouse and found barrels containing water instead of maple syrup.

Vallières had appealed the fine of just more than $9 million which he was given during sentencing.

The fine was then reduced to around $1 million, which was the profit Vallières made from selling the stolen syrup for $10 million.

After an appeal from the Crown that the fine shouldn't have been reduced,   the Supreme Court of Canada sided with the Crown in a judgement   on March 31, 2022.

Chief Justice Wagner said that Vallières must pay a fine equal to the value of the stolen syrup which amounts to over $9 million.

That figure   isn't the full $10 million from the sale because the amount that he owed to the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers under a separate court order was subtracted from it.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that Vallières has 10 years to pay the fine or he will have to serve six years in prison.

If you didn't know,   Canada has a secret maple syrup vault   in Quebec that's a warehouse stocked with nothing but barrels of maple syrup!

Back in 2021,   the vault had to be dipped into   because of the strong demand for maple syrup along with an average production season that year.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    2 years ago

Take my freedum, take my life but don't mess with our maple syrup!

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1  shona1  replied to  Freefaller @1    2 years ago

Morning free..I honestly thought this was an April fools day joke...

Guess that would be the equivalent of someone stealing our Vegemite..there would be riots in the street and the country would shut down...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.1    2 years ago

Had to look it up to see what Vegemite was.  I'm going to look for it next time I'm in the big box METRO store that stocks imported food items to give it a try.  

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    2 years ago

Anoon Buzz...errrr uummm I will tell you now it is an acquired taste....

Most non Aussies think they have been poisoned, some think they will never recover and require stress counselling and others are just plain horrified we could eat it...

But it is the best thing out since sliced bread and would be found in 99% of Aussie homes..

Don't be fooled by Marmite, revolting stuff and poor man's Vegemite...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  shona1 @1.1    2 years ago

Hi Shona Lol nope not an April fools joke there really was a big maple syrup heist worth millions of dollars back in 2012.

While I'm sure it's available in lots of places (It's actually an export item) like Vegimite it is only really well known in Canada and the northern US.  In fact the maple farmers should be finishing their annual harvest later this month.

Unlike Veginimite it is not an acquired taste it is sugary sweet goodness loved by most everyone who tries it

Luckily we had our emergency stockpile to tide us through those dark days.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @1    2 years ago

We have plenty of maple syrup on the Red Lake, Leech Lake, and White Earth rez in Minnesota. We tap it every year and of course, you can buy it online. We take cash (USD) or credit card. 

You know this guy isn't going to pay that amount of money back so he will probably end up in jail for 6 years. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @1.2    2 years ago
You know this guy isn't going to pay that amount of money back so he will probably end up in jail for 6 years

Probably true, if he had any brains he would have hid his ill gotten gains in some untouchable offshore account.  Of course if he had any brains he wouldn't have remained in country to get caught

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I'm sure we (Canadians) would do the same with our butter tarts if they could be stored without going stale.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    2 years ago

MMmmm butter tarts (drool)