╌>

Historic World War II destroyer sinking on Buffalo waterfront as crews race to rescue it

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   CBSNEWS No Author Incicated

Historic World War II destroyer sinking on Buffalo waterfront as crews race to rescue it

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A decommissioned World War II-era destroyer docked near downtown Buffalo in New York was taking on water and listing perilously on Thursday.

Crews were working to keep USS The Sullivans from sinking at its berth at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, where it had been open for tours.

The USS The Sullivans is a tribute to our heroes — to a family that lost all five of its sons in the Pacific, and to the 400,000 Americans who died fighting in World War II.

Our State agencies are on site and ready to help revive this treasure and symbol of perseverance.  https://t.co/fNyH9yjlwp

— Governor Kathy Hochul (@GovKathyHochul)  April 14, 2022

"We've got a committed group down here. We're not going to give up the ship and failure is not an option," said park president Paul Marzello.

Marzello said they believe there was a breach on the right side of the hull Wednesday night. He said crews trying to stabilize the 79-year-old vessel are pumping out up to 13,000 gallons a minute.

"I think we've seen the worst, but I don't know," he said.

"The USS The Sullivans is a tribute to our heroes — to a family that lost all five of its sons in the Pacific, and to the 400,000 Americans who died fighting in World War II,"  Gov. Kathy Hochul  wrote on Twitter. "Our state agencies are on site and ready to help revive this treasure and symbol of perseverance."

USS The Sullivans, a National Historic Landmark, was named in honor of the five Sullivan brothers from Waterloo, Iowa. The brothers were killed in action when the USS Juneau was sunk by the Japanese in the South Pacific during World War II.

More than $1 million was raised last year to repair the ship's breached hull. Crews paused work over the winter and were to resume repairs Monday, Marzello said.

USS The Sullivans is one of four decommissioned Naval vessels at the park.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

The sinking of warships seems to be in the news these days, and when I first saw the title to this article on Microsoft Bing News this morning I thought I would post it with a comment that placing it there in Lake Erie was to protect the USA from an invasion by Canada, but then I read the article and I am not embarrassed to admit that a tear ceme to my eye when I read that it was named to memorialize all five sons from one family who had served together on the same warship that was sunk, besides the 400,000 Americans who lost their lives during WW2.  I recalled how the loss of even one son can affect a person when my great-uncle lost one of his three sons (all of whom served with the Canadian forces and fought the Nazis), a bomber navigator with the Royal Canadian Air Force, while over Germany during WW2.  It made me think of the movie Finding Private Ryan, and I read in a different article that since that time siblings were no longer allowed ot serve on the same ship. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

You're a movie buff, if you can find it watch The Fighting Sullivans released in 1944 by Twentieth Century-Fox. 

The movie shows the Sullivan brothers growing up in Waterloo, Iowa until the time of their death.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @1.1    2 years ago

Thanks MM. I'll see if I can find it on tubi.  I hope I can get to see their story.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    2 years ago

The movies was originally going be called "The Sullivans" If you can't find it under The Fighting Sullivans try that.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.3  MonsterMash  replied to  MonsterMash @1.1.2    2 years ago

Buzz, if you do get to see The Fighting Sullivans please send me a PM saying what you thought about it.

I imagine there's a lot of fiction about their boyhood, but it makes the movie more entertaining.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @1.1.3    2 years ago

All I can get here is this (LINK) ->

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.5  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    2 years ago

They have the full movie available free on Youtube or ok,ru (which I think is russian but I think you might have to register) or Dailymotion and all three state a run time of 1:52:12

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @1.1.5    2 years ago

Thanks.  I can't open youtube but I'll check out the other 2 tomorrow - going to bed soon.  Is "ok,ru" the correct name?

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.7  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.6    2 years ago

I use the Bing search engine and that's how their videos are labeled but on their site they call themselves ok video but there are many sites with the Ok video name but this site is The Fighting Sullivans 1944 - Anne Baxter, Thomas Mitchell, Selena Royle, W (ok.ru)   I don't know much about them because I can click their videos and watch them on the Bing video page but if I go to their site a sign up, sign in menu drops down and blocks the screen so I think to watch there you have to join, it's free but they probably want your email so it's your choice I haven't heard anything bad about them and I looked them up and they're rated as safe but like I said I haven't actually joined because I don't have to. I don't know what search engine you use but with Bing you have a choice when you search for something, you can then choose images, videos, or maps and you get results in just those categories. On the Bing video page I can click and watch most videos without having to go to the actual site that hosts them and that somehow gets me around having to join. Your results may vary. Maybe you can use the Bing search engine if it's not blocked over there.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    2 years ago
Crews paused work over the winter and were to resume repairs Monday,

Geez, it couldn’t have waited another week?

shona1
PhD Quiet
3  shona1    2 years ago

Morning.. certainly hope they manage to save her..

To lose all five sons on one ship...beyond believe and totally devastating for the Sullivan family...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago