╌>

RNC Withdraws From 'Biased' Commission On Presidential Debates

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  45 comments

By:   Jordan Boyd (The Federalist)

RNC Withdraws From 'Biased' Commission On Presidential Debates
'To be clear: we are not walking away from debates. We are walking away from the CPD,' the RNC said in its statement.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It's official: The Republican National Committee unanimously voted to withdraw from the "biased" Commission on Presidential Debates over the organization's refusal to offer Americans a "free and fair forum" to evaluate presidential candidates.

"To be clear: we are not walking away from debates. We are walking away from the CPD," the RNC said in a statement.

The decision comes after a year-long rule change battle between the CPD, which repeatedly refused to adopt the RNC's list of debate reforms, and the RNC, which accused the commission of deliberately failing to "provide a fair and impartial forum."

The CPD has a history of favoring Democrats by naming left-wing journalists as moderators who happily hijack Republican candidates' talking time. In the 2020 election cycle, the CPD chose Fox News's Chris Wallace, who asked slanted questions favoring Biden, and Steve Scully, who incompetently tweeted a private conversation he had with a notable anti-Trumper and then falsely claimed he was hacked.

After the 2020 election, when the CPD used Covid-19 as an excuse to delay the first presidential debate until after mail-in balloting in some states began and then hired a moderator who once worked for Joe Biden, the RNC and others were fed up with the CPD and its leadership.

The RNC demanded board term limits, limited public commentary on candidates by CPD staff, and a punishment process for moderators who "have apparent conflicts of interest due to personal, professional, or partisan factors." Any attempts by the RNC to fix the CPD's partisanship and affinity for the corrupt corporate media, however, were routinely ignored. Even when then-President Donald Trump tried to reason with the CPD, the commission didn't budge.

As a result, the RNC has pledged to find "newer, better debate platforms" free of the corporate media's corruption and political establishment's bias.

"Debates are an important part of the democratic process, and the RNC is committed to free and fair debates. The Commission on Presidential Debates is biased and has refused to enact simple and commonsense reforms to help ensure fair debates including hosting debates before voting begins and selecting moderators who have never worked for candidates on the debate stage," Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

This is an interesting time, isn't it?

There is a political reaction to the left's control of so much of America's institutions. We see it here at the CPD, with the demand for fair play. We see it with Elon Musk demanding free speech from social media and most important of all we saw it with parents demanding that ideology not be taught to young children.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
parents demanding that ideology not be taught to young children

... except in designated thumper madrasas.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago
.. except in designated thumper madrasas.

Do you ever have anything new?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    2 years ago

do you? address the hypocrisy I've illuminated or don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    2 years ago

I'll not be a party to your TDS-driven deflection, thanks anyway!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    2 years ago
hypocrisy I've illuminated

You have "illuminated" nothing except to prove you don't know what madrasas are.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    2 years ago

[Deleted

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
2  Duck Hawk    2 years ago

It sounds more like, "I'm gonna take my ball and go home."

I agree t he debates do need some changes however I think that walking out of them is the wrong way to in act change. The right needs to get the intestinal fortitude to make changes within a system. Instead it appears that their method of reform is to tear everything down. JMHO

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1  Ender  replied to  Duck Hawk @2    2 years ago

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Duck Hawk @2    2 years ago

The way I read the article, it would seem that the RNC did try to make changes within the system but could not get anything to move.  I don't think that what the RNC was asking for in the way of changes was that great or one-sided and IMO would have improved the perception of the CPD on being unbiased.   But if they attempted to work within the system and could not get anywhere then I don't blame them for backing out.  

The RNC demanded board term limits, limited public commentary on candidates by CPD staff, and a punishment process for moderators who "have apparent conflicts of interest due to personal, professional, or partisan factors." Any attempts by the RNC to fix the CPD's partisanship and affinity for the corrupt corporate media, however, were routinely ignored.

Not sure how this will all play out however.  The CPD negotiates with candidates rather than the RNC or the DNC and all the RNC is really doing here is asking it's candidates to pledge to not negotiate or participate.  Kind of hard to see a politician willingly take themselves out of public view.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @2.2    2 years ago

When they said the corrupt corporate media they lost me.

Also punishment? What are they going to do, spank them? Fine them?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Ender @2.2.1    2 years ago
When they said the corrupt corporate media they lost me.

I think they may mean this, as example, when Donna Brazile was caught by an email release from WikiLeaks to have given the HRC campaign one of the questions that was coming up in a CNN managed debate.  

In the first instance, ahead of a March 13 CNN town hall, it appears that guest-moderator Roland Martin from TV One may have shared his contributions to the questions with Brazile. In an email the day before the town hall to senior Clinton staffers, Brazile wrote: “From time to time I get the questions in advance” and included the text of a question about the death penalty. An email later obtained by POLITICO showed that the text of the question Brazile sent to the Clinton campaign was identical to a proposed question Martin had offered CNN. (A similar, though not identical question, was ultimately posed to Clinton at the town hall).

Hardly an act of an innocent corporate media IMO. As far as punishment, haven't a clue. That's for them to work out.  But it really doesn't seem like the requests made by the RNC are all that hard.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.2    2 years ago

I wouldn't blame CNN for that. I blame that Brazile woman.  And no, I am not a fan of CNN .  Haha

As for punishments of moderators, seems to me, get caught being bias, not a moderator again. Seems simple.

Another thought, in this day and age, it would be hard to find a moderator that doesn't have some kind of bias.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.4  Snuffy  replied to  Ender @2.2.3    2 years ago

And Donna Brazile was punished for this action.  When she left CNN to go to the DNC her contract with CNN was put on hold. After this came to light her contract with CNN was terminated. CNN themselves was not punished.   I doubt that she will be made a moderator for any sort of debate in the future. 

And you're right, it's very hard to find a moderator without bias in this day.  Perhaps that's why it would be good for moderators to (1) not be involved in any political campaign and (2) have term limits as to how many debates / years a single moderator is allowed to participate before they are "put out to pasture".

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.4    2 years ago

I agree with the not being involved in a campaign.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Duck Hawk @2    2 years ago

Good.  They ignored our concerns in 2020.  They or another group will take our ideas and issues into account in order for there to be any Presidential debates in 2024.  Either the CPD take us seriously or someone else will.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.3.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.3    2 years ago

"Take us seriously, or someone else will."  

1.  The RNC's concerns are what?

2.  Could one of those concerns be an uttered/deliberate falsehood to be permitted to remain unchallenged?

3.  Does the RNC believe that the 'already installed message,' regardless of accuracy, is the only response necessary?

4.  And lastly. "Or someone else will." 

a.  Who or what is the 'someone else'?  And their retaliatory actions would be against whom?   And what would those actions be comprised of? 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    2 years ago

trump does not run the party. trump is old news, stop with the tds...

Funny this sounds exactly like what donald wanted last year....

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    2 years ago

Americans are fed up with gridlock and government disfunction but they do not desire the far rightwing bassackwards nonsense flaming out of the gop...

It makes sense. The gop doesn't want us to know!

Us to know the gop has no ideas, no plan, nothing!

Just tax cuts for the rich and corporated welfare...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago

What you know about the GOP could fit on the head of a pin.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    2 years ago

I do wish the Republicans would come out with a new Contract with America or at least again push the ideals in public.  There's a part of the Republicans who are still fully backing President Trump and a part who are mostly staying silent so to avoid the public outcry against them by the hard-right.  November could be a huge turnaround for this country and i believe that the Republican party needs to step away from relitigating the past and proclaim their vision for the future.  

JBB is right with one thing, the American public is fed up with gridlock and government disfunction.  The RNC needs to provide plans as I believe Independents are wary of the past where Republicans said they had a plan but never showed a plan.  How many times did they try to end Obamacare and saying they had a better plan but that plan was never shown.  Come on RNC, show your damn cards.  Everybody knows you have a winning hand come November.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 years ago

I fully expect gridlock to continue at least until 2025. The GOP looks poised to retake the House and Senate, and I can't see Biden moving more to the middle ala Clinton.

That is unfortunate, but reality.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    2 years ago

Agreed, the best that can be said for a Republican retake of the House & Senate is that it will slow down the hard-progressive work of Biden and the Democrats which IMO is a good thing.  I do not expect Biden to become a centrist politician. I also hope that the Republicans when they take control do not waste their time playing the partisan games.  Any investigations they start should be openly transparent and they need to show what they are doing rather than just talk about it.  Otherwise they come off as no different than the Democrats which will hurt their party in 24.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    2 years ago

Untrue and no wonder the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known as the gop...

If I was mired in gop I'd be trying to get out of it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.4    2 years ago
Untrue

But certainly you haven't proven otherwise.

no wonder the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known as the gop..

That tired old tripe--AGAIN? Can't you come with something new, after all, you have been typing that nonsense for YEARS now.

If I was mired in gop I'd be trying to get out of it.

If you were in the GOP, people would be assisting you.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.6  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    2 years ago

The gop didn't even have a platform in 2020!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.6    2 years ago

Ooooh.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.8  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.7    2 years ago

Yes, proving what I said in comment #4 true!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.8    2 years ago
Yes, proving what I said in comment #4 true!

Actually, it proves the exact opposite.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @4.1.6    2 years ago

I thought that they recycled their 2016 platform.  The Dem's on the other hand had 91 new pages to include a section entitled, "Healing the Soul of America" 

I'm interested in Defense Spending so I remember that the platform promised to conduct rigorous annual audits of the Pentagon.  No audit last year and we are half way through this fiscal year with no audit scheduled.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.10    2 years ago

Will Democrats run this year on runaway inflation, or will they claim to know how to "fix" that problem?

They damn sure can't run on immigration policy!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.10    2 years ago

Wasn't "election reform" and "voter rights" big-ticket items for Democrats, along with "police reform"?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.13  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.11    2 years ago

With the recent polling showing such a dramatic drop in support for Biden from Gen X and Gen Z,  I fully expect to see movement on student loan forgiveness.  The Democrats will need to do something dramatic to turn the issue around and get that support back.  While this may in the short term provide some boost for the Democrats, I can't help but imagine what the long term ramifications of such policy will do to the overall economy as well as making the current college costs go up at a faster rate.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.13    2 years ago
While this may in the short term provide some boost for the Democrats, I can't help but imagine what the long term ramifications of such policy will do to the overall economy as well as making the current college costs go up at a faster rate.  

People DO like free stuff!

Of course it will make tuition go up if the schools know that loans will be forgiven so students don't have to worry about costs.

To me, it is akin to amnesty--do it once and you are seemingly stuck forever doing it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.13    2 years ago
With the recent polling showing such a dramatic drop in support for Biden from Gen X and Gen Z,  I fully expect to see movement on student loan forgiveness. 

I saw that the other day. Could be a deathblow for Democrats in the midterms.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.14    2 years ago
People DO like free stuff!

Who doesn't like free chicken!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.13    2 years ago
I fully expect to see movement on student loan forgiveness. 

My wife and I saved for our children's college expenses.  Maybe the Dem plan will pay us back.  I'm Ok with no interest due.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.18  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    2 years ago

I could see Biden doing it.  I can’t see his handlers and puppet masters letting him do it.  We will get the pen and a phone version of Obama post 2014 instead

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.11    2 years ago

They need to link inflation solution to immigration, by explaining how a large influx of cheap labor will reduce the wage pressure.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.20  bugsy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.10    2 years ago
No audit last year and we are half way through this fiscal year with no audit scheduled.

That certainly must be Trump's fault s/

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
5  Duck Hawk    2 years ago

This guy has some great points to consider. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Duck Hawk @5    2 years ago

(cause they don't have any policy)   Haha

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2  Sparty On  replied to  Duck Hawk @5    2 years ago

Not this fool again.     His propaganda doesn’t even apply here.    

Republicans haven’t refused to debate.    They’ve refused to participate in CPD organized debates for the reasons noted.

Big difference.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    2 years ago

These aren't and haven't been debates in years.

The candidates are asked specific questions and then answer whatever they want to talk about, but rarely do any just answer the questions.

Kind of like this forum, where being verbose is considered to be a sign of "intellectualism".

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @6    2 years ago

Yep, some folks here do love the sound of their own voices don’t they .....