╌>

We Have Officially Reached the Too-Much-TV Apocalypse

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   Kevin Fallon (The Daily Beast)

We Have Officially Reached the Too-Much-TV Apocalypse
The end of April will see over 100 series premiere, with the likes of Julia Roberts, Andrew Garfield, and Viola Davis all vying for your attention—which they're not going to get.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

If a TV show starring Julia Roberts and Sean Penn falls in a forest and there's no one there to hear it, does it even make a sound?

It's a wild situation. The biggest movie star of her generation is in a TV series with one of the most celebrated actors, she in glorious glam, replete with a teased blonde bouffant and a brassy Southern accent, and he swaddled in a melted wax museum's amount of prosthetics. More, the show is a juicy thriller about Watergate. Did you know that Gaslit exists? Or where to watch it?

There was a time that something like this would be a capital-'E' Event in pop culture, and, in the world of Kevin Fallon, akin to a religious experience. Now? It's just exhausting.

That "tree"—Gaslit—premieres on Starz on Sunday, amidst a dense, crowded forest of more than 15 shows that are airing their season or series premieres on that one night alone, not to mention new episodes of already running programs or streaming releases that audiences could theoretically be mid-bingeing. Roberts, Penn, Watergate: It's a tall, proud, fancy tree, but we're all too distracted with the other ones to notice it fall. Maybe it does make a sound, but it's merely a whimper. And that's not a slight on Gaslit. In the current television climate, that's all any tree—I mean show—can hope for.

Now that I've given myself a migraine trying to make that tree-forest metaphor work, which it absolutely does not but I spent far too much energy on it to delete it, here's the real point, the point besides "I Can't Believe We're Not All Supporting Julia Roberts the Way She Deserves." It's that the lack of buzz for Gaslit is emblematic of a larger industry problem.

We've reached the Too Much TV Apocalypse. It's a dystopian level as we approach the end of April. But, at a time when over 500 scripted TV series alone come out each year, there is something sort of existential about it, in terms of the industry and for us as fans. When there's this much content, so much of it that people don't even realize it exists because it would be impossible to have awareness, let alone interest, in all of these projects, then what is the point of it all?

The easy answer that smug industry folk have at the ready in relation to, at least, why right now seems so busy is: Emmys. The deadline for TV shows and episodes to be eligible for Emmy consideration is the end of May, which means weekly series need to launch now in order to qualify. But when there are dozens of these series coming out at the same time to the extent that my beloved Julia Roberts alongside Sean Penn-in-a-fat-suit can't command people's attention—because none of the series can—I again ask: What's the point?

Let's take this last week and next week alone, two weeks in April when, sure, you're probably done with Bridgerton and still reeling from the Severance finale and could use something else to watch. But maybe not 100 things. (That's not an exaggerated number. There are literally 100 premieres in those two weeks. Actually, there's more.)

Sure, a lot of those are niche docuseries, innocuous home renovation shows, or kids' fare—the kinds of shows that sort of exist in the background of our lives. I call them White Noise TV, and I could not mean that more lovingly.

But there are also a ridiculous number of series premiering that, in other times, we'd all be at the water cooler buzzing about—star-studded prestige series that would dominate the zeitgeist and be at the center of every social conversation. Now if you were to bring any of them up in the coffee room, there wouldn't be buzzing so much as a collection of blank stares and a few errant huh's.

"That's not an exaggerated number. There are literally 100 premieres in those two weeks. Actually, there's more."

This last week, a series in which Viola Davis plays Michelle Obama and Michelle Pfeiffer plays Betty Ford premiered, and it somehow wasn't the only thing people are talking about. The second season of Russian Doll, one of the best reviewed comedy series of the last few years, came out, which is probably new information to many of you. A TV show starring Nicole Kidman, Issa Rae, and Cynthia Erivo premiered. Were you aware of that?

Kaley Cuoco's super-fun show The Flight Attendant is returning. Bill Hader's Emmy-winning dark comedy Barry is finally back. A TV adaptation of The Man Who Fell to Earth, the 1976 sci-fi film starring David Bowie, arrives. The Wire creator David Simon has a new series called We Own This City, which returns him to the corrupt streets of Baltimore. A big, splashy show about the making of The Godfather, called The Offer, hits streaming.

Andrew Garfield continues his run as the year's most-booked lead actor with the limited series Under the Banner of Heaven. Elisabeth Moss leads the unsettling thriller Shining Girls. The underrated gem Made for Love returns. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are back for the final episodes of Grace and Frankie, which will become Netflix's longest-running original series.

Then there's the silly fun stuff. Selling Sunset is back. The Real World Homecoming: New Orleans reunites the show's best cast. (I won't budge on that one.) They Call Me Magic gives The Last Dance/Michael Jordan treatment to Magic Johnson. I Love That for You, which, praise God, stars Molly Shannon and Vanessa Bayer, aka your new favorite comedy, debuts. Stanley Tucci is about to search for Italy again.

And these are things that are new. That's not to mention the big shows that are already airing weekly—WeCrashed, Atlanta, Top Chef, the final season of This Is Us—and all the stuff you've meant to binge but haven't gotten around to yet.

Sure, there's a way to look at this and celebrate. What a gold rush of content! Manna from heaven for couch potatoes! (Chips from heaven?) But what good is TV, especially good TV, if it's not possible to watch it? I've seen a lot of these series, and many are definitely not worth your time. But a lot of them are!

How do you figure out the queue of things to watch during the little free time we all have when the queue is so long you'll never make a dent in it anyway? Why make a very expensive series with very famous people in it when, barring some shift in the space-time continuum, it's not possible for people to watch it?

And then there's the most existential question of all, the doomsday inquiry, the harrowing truth: What is the point of anything when we're all just going to watch The Ultimatumanyway?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Ive been seeing this coming for a long time. There are many hundreds, if not thousands, of tv shows out there for people to watch. No one could keep up with it. 

I hate to say it but I wish some of these streaming services would merger and simplify things for the viewers. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
I hate to say it but I wish some of these streaming services would merger and simplify things for the viewers. 

People wanted ala cart television during the cable days and now that they have it they don't want it. There is no pleasing the tv watching public. That said we are seeing the very beginning of a contraction in services. HBOMax is merging with Discovery +, Hulu, Disney + & ESPN are available as a single service. AMC + has Shudder, Peacock took over WWE awhile ago... Other services are talking about bundling as well OR adding ways to get additional services like how you can subscribe to Starz from Amazon Prime. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I currently have Hulu, Paramount +, HBO Max, Apple TV, Classic Reel (old movies , $3 per month)  and Peacock. I recently canceled Netflix and Sling (although I'm sure I will go back to them at some point). 

I noticed the other day that there is now a phone app that organizes all your tv streaming services for you, letting you know which ones are active and when the re-subscribe dates are coming up many people rotate through these things, having some active and some suspended or stopped).  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

I have Paramount+, Netflix, Sling and Peacock through my Xfinity now strictly streaming services.  I love that Netflix doesn't have any commercials.  The rest of them have so many commercials it's freaking ridiculous.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 years ago

The only way this can be done with any sort of sanity is to sign up for a streaming service for a month or two, watch the shows or movies on there that you heard about and became interested in seeing, and then cancel the channel. You can always go back to it 4 or 6 months or a year later. I got Apple TV to watch a few movies that are only on there, but after I watch them all I am going to cancel it. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 years ago
love that Netflix doesn't have any commercials. 

They just announced last week they will start a introduction level account with commercials. Something they have resisted up until now.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @2.1.2    2 years ago

I heard that, too. I may be canceling my Netflix....no I won't

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 years ago

Commercials dont bother me, I dont pay any attention to any of them. I can see a commercial and two minutes later not remember what the product was. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.4    2 years ago

As I was getting ready for work this morning - I watch the traffic and weather - and then switch to watching this show I've discovered (it was out years ago, I don't recall it then) - The New Adventures of Old Christine - while I finish getting ready but I lost track of how many damned commercials there were.  It drives me nuts.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2.1.2    2 years ago

I guess as long as there is still the commercial free option, I'm okay with that.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 years ago
Paramount+, Netflix, Sling and Peacock through my Xfinity

We've got:

Paramount+/Showtime $11.99

Netflix $19.99

Philo $25 (60+ live cable channels)

Pluto 'free' with commercials

Between Philo and Pluto that satisfies the 'I just want to throw on some TV and watch their lineup' fix, Paramount has the live local CBS channel for local news and weather and all the Star Trek you can watch plus some fun new shows like Halo and Netflix has kids shows and some pretty decent food shows and new films. If you haven't watched it yet I recommend "Is it Cake?" on Netflix.

I used to pay $265 a month for the Xfinity phone, internet & cable bundle when it dropped off the initial discounted price plus Netflix/Showtime & HBO, I think the total was like $305 a month. Now it's down to $152 a month for cable internet and the streaming services and I don't miss the 1000+ other cable TV channels I never watched anyway.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    2 years ago

I want to watch Gaslit but don't know if I will get Starz just for that purpose and then cancel, or not.

Too many streaming services IMHO

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I have lots of options on my TV but I still can't find anything to watch

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

30 years ago Bruce Springsteen wrote and performed this on his album Human Touch.  Now it seems so quaint;

I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
With a truckload of hundred thousand dollar bills
Man came by to hook up my cable TV
We settled in for the night my baby and me
We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past dawn
There was fifty-seven channels and nothin' on
Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on
Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5    2 years ago

I was just thinking of that song - it's amazing that I can remember all the lyrics to certain songs - but forget what I wanted to do when I walked into the kitchen