╌>

Protests erupt at Supreme Court after report of draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  20 comments

By:   Lexi Lonas (The Hill)

Protests erupt at Supreme Court after report of draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade | The Hill
Anti-abortion and abortion rights protesters gathered outside the Supreme Court on Monday night after a report was published showing a draft of Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion overturning Roe v. Wade. Politico obtained a copy of the draft majority opinion in an unprecedented leak for the U.S.'s highest court. Alito's opinion called the decision in…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Lexi Lonas - 05/03/22 7:41 AM ET
supremecourtabortionprotest_050322.ap_.jpg?w=2000&ssl=1 Alex Brandon/Associated Press

Anti-abortion and abortion rights protesters gathered outside the Supreme Court on Monday night after a report was published showing a draft of Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion overturning Roe v. Wade.

Politico obtained a copy of the draft majority opinion in an unprecedented leak for the U.S.'s highest court. Alito's opinion called the decision in the landmark abortion rights case "egregiously wrong."

Soon after the report was published, barriers were erected outside the Supreme Court and hundreds gathered in protest.

Videos circulating online show pro-abortion advocates with signs supporting Planned Parenthood and chanting for abortion rights.

"The first line in the draft is that this is a moral issue. If it's a moral issue, you shouldn't be depriving us of our choice," protester Annie McDonnell, a student at George Washington University, told Reuters.

Anti-abortion advocates also turned out in smaller numbers and were seen praying and chanting for the end of abortion with signs declaring themselves "pro-life."

"I've been praying for this as long as I've understood what a baby was," an anti-abortion advocate told NBC Washington. "It's a big deal. Life begins at conception."

Anti-abortion and pro-abortion protesters were seen clashing outside the Supreme Court building, with anti-abortion advocates yelling "Hey hey! Ho ho! Roe v. Wade has got to go!" and pro-abortion advocates responding "Hey hey! Ho ho! Sexist fascists have to go!"

Some protesters stayed at the Supreme Court until after midnight, with the protesters overwhelmingly against the leaked court's decision.

The leak suggests at least five judges have sided against Roe v. Wade on the majority conservative court. The draft opinion Politico posted was in early stages of deliberations and could possibly change before a final decision is expected to be released this summer.

Democrats bemoaned the reported decision of the court while Republicans decried the unprecedented leak, saying it was an attempt to get the judges to change their mind before the final decision on the case is made.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

The Supreme Court is going to need bigger fences...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Fences don't work, remember?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Are you expecting violence?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Are radical progressives going to get violent?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago
"The first line in the draft is that this is a moral issue. If it's a moral issue, you shouldn't be depriving us of our choice," protester Annie McDonnell, a student at George Washington University, told Reuters.

This protest was just the first of what will be many. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Yet, every time I warned about this I got ridiculed...

I hope Susan Collins enjoys eating all those crows.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    2 years ago
"pro-life."

MY ass....  

They all have caveats to their stance:

How many racists would stand behind their "pro-life" stance if their daughter were impregnated by a person of color?  

Are these the same "pro-life" people that wanted Fauci executed?

Are these the same "pro-life" people that refuse to lessen the deaths by Covid by wearing masks, distancing and getting vaccinated & stating it is THEIR CHOICE?

Are these the same people that think as long as you live like I do you have rights - if not FUCK YOU?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    2 years ago

As things stand now, the left generally supports abortion at any age of the mother, or any stage of the pregnancy....including late term abortions. That needs to change.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    2 years ago

Why do you keep spreading those lies?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @5    2 years ago

That is not true and abortions are strictly regulated!

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.4  charger 383  replied to  Greg Jones @5    2 years ago

"That needs to change"

Why?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6  Jack_TX    2 years ago

(deleted)

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jack_TX @6    2 years ago

Roberts confirmed it as legit.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    2 years ago

Yes, but not actually reflective of any decision that has actually been made.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.1    2 years ago

Agreed. Yet some here at NT will assign blame to their least favorite of the justices.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.2    2 years ago

oh please like you all don't do the same thing

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    2 years ago

Am I and others not part of the "some"?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1    2 years ago

[deleted]