╌>

Gov. Greg Abbott May Declare Texas Under 'Invasion'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   News Hound Ellen (Crooks and Liars)

Gov. Greg Abbott May Declare Texas Under 'Invasion'
Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas may cave to the far-right wing and invoke war powers in order to subvert federal authority and start rounding up and deporting migrants

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Of course, there is no war going on - except for the right-wing war on everything and everyone not in lockstep with Fox News' Tucker Carlson's white-nationalist authoritarianism. So it's no surprise that his and Fox's "invasion" rhetoric has spread like a virus and is now pressuring Abbott into sabotaging federal law (another right-wing wet dream) and arresting immigrants like some kind of old west posse.

Now, with Abbott's re-election looming and the last known poll showing him in a statistical dead heat with Democrat Beto O'Rourke, Abbott has announced he's looking into declaring that a non-existent war exists. From Vice News:

According to a highly doubtful theory now being pushed in conservative circles, language in the Constitution could be read to suggest that states can assert war powers on their own if they're facing a foreign invasion. Doing so would allow Abbott to assume powers that are normally reserved for the federal government.

"This is something that I began studying when I was the attorney general of Texas," Abbott said during a roundtable on Thursday. "The operation, as it would work, is to [detain] these people and deport them immediately."

Abbott continued: "So, is it something we're looking into? Yes. You know me well enough that you know I will look at every legal issue about a policy before we undertake action on that issue."

Abbott's border stunts have not exactly gone well so far. As The New York Times noted on Friday, his billion-dollar Operation Lone Star has done little more than get him friendly hits on Fox News, at taxpayer expense. "Even as Mr. Abbott has directed more than $3 billion to border security, and approved an additional $500 million on Friday, he has little to show for it beyond drug seizures and arrest figures," the Times reported. "Still, his efforts to tighten border security and harden Texas' 1,254-mile frontier have helped Mr. Abbott, a Republican, hold off challenges from his right and made the lawyerly governor into a regular on Fox News."

It's no wonder he's staling for time. I would imagine that a legal showdown with the feds that he would likely lose is not a campaign priority for Abbott. But neither is being characterized as soft on immigration by Fox News. If it comes to one or the other, my money says he'll go with the Fox hits, taxpayers be damned.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I spent a month in Texas earlier this year and have family that lives in Texas and I know that there are millions of people in Texas who believe that Greg Abbott is literally an idiot.  They are embarrassed that their governor has become a national laughingstock. 

The idea that Abbott could ever be a serious national presidential candidate is either ridiculous or indicates how far our country has fallen off track. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

I recall people having said the same things about Trump and Biden, yet they still won their respective elections.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago
I know that there are millions of people in Texas who believe that Greg Abbott is literally an idiot.

Did you interview that many?  

Or did you find a half dozen other leftists at a vegan boho coffee bar in Austin and just make up a number?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago
Operation Lone Star

Oh, that's the operation to enforce all applicable federal and state laws to prevent the criminal activity along the border, including criminal trespassing, smuggling, and human trafficking, and to assist Texas counties in their efforts to address those criminal activities.  The things the Biden Administration ("Federal Authority") has failed to do.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    2 years ago

Typical of the liberal leftist Democrat  administration that is so eager to please their base, they push to create new legislation to curb the illegal immigrant surge they were responsible for creating rather than to enforce the existing legislation that was already working. Bizarre....

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    2 years ago

Normal knee jerk reactions.  In this instance they are boo boo lipped and butt hurt that a state is doing what the should have been done at the federal level.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3  Jack_TX    2 years ago
Now, with Abbott's re-election looming and the last known poll showing him in a statistical dead heat with Democrat Beto O'Rourke,

I don't think leftist statistics are the same as actual statistics.