TX Republicans Say Christians And Whites Face Most Discrimination

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 weeks ago  •  21 comments

By:   News Hound Ellen (Crooks and Liars)

TX Republicans Say Christians And Whites Face Most Discrimination
This is how Fox News and its media brethren set the stage for a revolt against tolerance of everything and everyone not in lockstep with radical, right-wing authoritarianism.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

From the findings of a recent University of Texas/Texas Politics Project Poll:

The vast majority of Democrats, 74%, said that either Black people (43%) or transgender people (31%) face the most discrimination in America today, while among Republicans, 65% said that either white people (34%) or Christians (31%) face the most discrimination.

Furthermore, only 11% of Republicans think Blacks are the most discriminated group. 12% think transgender people are.

I think we all know how it is that so many more Republicans think white people and Christians face more discrimination than Blacks and transgender folk: the perpetual grievance and resentment stoked by the likes of Tucker Carlson and Ben Shapiro and then parroted by MAGApoliticians:

The Dallas Observer pretty much proved my point when it noted that it's not just Texas Republicans who think white Christians are the biggest victims:

Lone Star State conservatives aren't the only ones who think this way. In a 2020 national survey by the Public Religion Research Institute, nearly three-quarters (73%) of Republicans who trusted FOX most out of all TV news reported that they believed Christians face "a lot of discrimination." Around 58% said white people are often discriminated against.

The Observer cited a February appearance on Fox & Friends by Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) as a good example of how the right-wing whips up imaginary victimhood, then uses it as a weapon against tolerance:

A member of Finland's parliament, Paivi Rasanen, was on trial for her beliefs, Roy said. He lambasted the controversy as a "war on religious freedom." (Rasanen was accused of provoking anti-LGBT+ hate speech after she derided homosexuality as a "disorder of psychosexual development" and called gay people "dysfunctional," according to Euronews.)
"This is a really chilling reality in a Western civilization country," Roy said. "This isn't Iran; this isn't China. This is Finland, and the American people need to know this is coming to a theater near you."

In that segment, Fox host Steve Doocy validated and drove home the victimhood meme by exclaiming that Rasanen and a cohort were "on trial for being religious!"

So it's not just the intolerance that progressives are up against in this country, but the daily, right-wing-media drumbeat of fear and persecution that fuels it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

Thats one way to avoid social justice. Just claim that you are the real victim. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 weeks ago

Always the victims!

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
1.3  TOM PA  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 weeks ago

All they have to do is show us the proof/evidence just like any other claim.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 weeks ago

WTF, how ridiculous is that.

Veronica
Masters Expert
2.1  Veronica  replied to  Kavika @2    2 weeks ago

I was thinking the same god damn thing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    2 weeks ago

I know they're a bunch of whiny little bitches!

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    2 weeks ago
I know they're a bunch of whiny little bitches!

White working class voters used to represent a solid Democratic section of their coalition. White voters without college degrees, have swung sharply toward the Repubs over the last few decades. Your attitude is part of that explanation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    2 weeks ago

Today's alleged conservatives/republicans/gop are the whiny little bitches.

Don't be mansplain' or republisplainin' to me with that bullshit!

How do you identify DOTW?

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    2 weeks ago
Don't be mansplain'

My gender has nothing to do with that assessment.

or republisplainin' to me with that bullshit!

This isn't from a Repub: "Trump carried the overall working class (noncollege) vote by 4 points ( Catalist two party vote ), about the same margin he had in 2016. The same data source also shows Republicans carrying the working class Congressional vote in three of the last four elections (the exception was 2018 when the working class vote was split down the middle between Republicans and Democrats)."

How do you identify DOTW?

I self identify as a white man.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

You knew I meant your political affiliation but there you go again . . . I don't know why I waste my time

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Expert
4.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    2 weeks ago
You knew I meant your political affiliation but there you go again

It's not always easy to know what you mean.  The article was about white people and you accused me of mansplain'.

I've never been a Party member and haven't lived in a state were I had to register as a member to vote in a primary.  I have voted for some Dems, some Repub's for President as well as for national and state races.  I have split my ballot in multiple elections.  

Hallux
Sophomore Principal
4.1.4  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.1    2 weeks ago
I self identify as a white man.

Kinda narrow, but bully for you. I use the broader 'euro-trash' identifier.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.3    2 weeks ago

Okey dokey

Drinker of the Wry
Freshman Expert
4.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @4.1.4    2 weeks ago
I use the broader 'euro-trash' identifier.

LoL, that work's as well.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    2 weeks ago
Your attitude is part of that explanation.

True dat!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    2 weeks ago
A member of Finland's parliament, Paivi Rasanen, was on trial for her beliefs, Roy said. He lambasted the controversy as a "war on religious freedom." (Rasanen was accused of provoking anti-LGBT+ hate speech after she derided homosexuality as a "disorder of psychosexual development" and called gay people "dysfunctional," according to Euronews.)
"This is a really chilling reality in a Western civilization country," Roy said. "This isn't Iran; this isn't China. This is Finland, and the American people need to know this is coming to a theater near you."

So the fuck what? That's in Finland. They have different laws and a way of life than Americans. Many European countries do not abide hate speech. They saw what unfettered hate speech wrought 80 years ago

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    2 weeks ago

I read where the right's new bastion of 'free speech' has told Europe it will abide by their rules when he takes over.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @5.1    2 weeks ago

Putin or trmp?

Never mind....Musk, right?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.1    2 weeks ago

Musk. He said twitter will abide by their rules and regulations in order to operate there.

I guess only the US is suppose to coddle trolls.

Tacos!
Professor Expert
5.2  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    2 weeks ago

Not mentioned in the story, I guess, but the case was dismissed.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
6  Steve Ott    2 weeks ago

Christians have been persecuted since about 150 millenia before the creation of the universe.

White people have been discriminated against since they weren't allowed to own slaves anymore. There was also a brief episode in the 1600's when the savage natives would retaliate for the murder of women and children and the destruction of food stores.