╌>

Billionaire CEO: Companies should hire Ukrainian engineers because Americans lack 'work ethic'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  2 comments

By:   Matthew Chapman (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

Billionaire CEO: Companies should hire Ukrainian engineers because Americans lack 'work ethic'
On Wednesday, Newsweek reported that billionaire investor Bill Ackman is urging U.S. companies to hire Ukrainians to engineering jobs, because Americans lack the same level of "work ethic"."In a Tuesday tweet, the founder and CEO of Pershing Square Capital Management said he had dinner with a number...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Computer Keyboard (AFP)

On Wednesday, Newsweek reported that billionaire investor Bill Ackman is urging U.S. companies to hire Ukrainians to engineering jobs, because Americans lack the same level of "work ethic".

"In a Tuesday tweet, the founder and CEO of Pershing Square Capital Management said he had dinner with a number of startup CEOs who had complained about the work ethic of young American engineers," reported Khaleda Rahman. "He suggested that employers should instead look to hiring people from Ukraine as Russia's invasion of the country continues."

But — Ackman was careful to note — companies shouldn't go through all the trouble of bringing Ukrainians out of their war-torn country to come to the U.S. to take those jobs, but simply have them work remotely.

To be clear, I recommend hiring Ukrainian engineers virtually, not recruiting them to the US, which takes time and will drain talent from @Ukraine. We should find Ukrainians work and dignity now so they can provide for their families and country.https://twitter.com/BillAckman/status/1523852028241457152\u00a0\u2026 — Bill Ackman (@Bill Ackman) 1652150298

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has devastated huge sections of the country and created a massive refugee crisis, as Russian forces commit horrifying war crimes in occupied territory.

The Biden administration has committed to admitting in 100,000 Ukrainian refugees, with 6,000 already approved for entry into the U.S.

Ackman's comments also come as U.S. businesses are facing a sharp uptick in workers resigning to pursue other job opportunities, a trend known as the "Great Resignation" as a labor shortage causes workers to start questioning the value of working lower-pay, less-secure jobs.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Maybe Ukrainian engineers are hungrier.  I wonder if Ackman will lower his own compensation to make himself hungrier. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

You think Ackman isn't hungry? He wants to make every dollar he can. He will always be starving. 

Personally after a billion dollars I wouldn't see the point. Buy a nice island; develop it to my liking; and retire permanently from reality.

But to each their own I guess.