╌>

Foo Fighters plan 2 tribute concerts for Taylor Hawkins | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   MARK KENNEDY (AP NEWS)

Foo Fighters plan 2 tribute concerts for Taylor Hawkins | AP News
NEW YORK (AP) — Foo Fighters will honor the rock band's late drummer Taylor Hawkins with a pair of tribute concerts in September — one in London and the other in Los Angeles. The twin shows will take place Sept.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By MARK KENNEDYJune 8, 2022 GMT FILE - Musician Taylor Hawkins appears at One Love Malibu in Calabasas, Calif., on Dec. 2, 2018. Foo Fighters will honor the rock band's late drummer Taylor Hawkins with a pair of tribute concerts in September — one in London and the other in Los Angeles. The twin shows will take place Sept. 3 at London's Wembley Stadium and Sept. 27 at The Kia Forum in Los Angeles. Hawkins died March 25, 2022, during a South American tour with the rock band. He was 50. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — Foo Fighters will honor the rock band's late drummer Taylor Hawkins with a pair of tribute concerts in September — one in London and the other in Los Angeles.

The twin shows will take place Sept. 3 at London's Wembley Stadium and Sept. 27 at The Kia Forum in Inglewood, California, featuring "his bandmates and his inspirations playing the songs that he fell in love with, and the ones he brought to life," the band said in a statement. Lineups for each show will be announced at a later date.

Hawkins died March 25 during a South American tour with the rock band. He was 50.

Taylor's wife, Alison, took to social media to thank the band and its fans for their support. "In celebration of his life, is now up to all of us who loved him most to honor Taylor's legacy and the music he gave us."

Hawkins was Alanis Morissette's touring drummer when he joined Foo Fighters in 1997, first appearing with the band on the tour supporting its sophomore album "The Colour & The Shape."

He made his recording debut with Foo Fighters on 1999′s "There Is Nothing Left To Lose." Hawkins played on every subsequent band album, including "One by One" and "In Your Honor," and on hit singles like "Best of You."

The band canceled its tour after Hawkins' death. At the Grammy Awards on April 3, an extended tribute to Hawkins played before the show's In Memoriam segment honoring artists and music industry figures who've died. Billie Eilish paid homage to Hawkins during her performance by sporting a black T-shirt with his image.

All contents © copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  TᵢG    2 years ago

I wonder who will be the drummer for these concerts.   Hawkins was one of the very best.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

I have been wondering the same thing. Maybe Dave will be drumming?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    2 years ago

Really tough to drum while singing.   Drummers are constantly moving around and are not necessarily following the melody.   And sometimes they will be extremely active which raises the heart rate and disrupts a consistent flow of breath.   But Dave would be a perfect replacement (logically).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    2 years ago

I totally agree that it's hard to drum and sing. There have been a few singer/ drummers that pulled it off, but I don't think they were drumming at the level of excellence as Taylor.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    2 years ago

Phil Collins and Don Henley come to mind....................

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.3    2 years ago

Exactly. That is who I was thinking about.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.3    2 years ago

After taking over for Peter Gabriel as lead singer, Phil Collins sang and drummed only on the rare songs where the drumming was mild.    Chester Thompson was the main drummer at that point and he never sang.

Don Henley's drumming was very simplistic.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    2 years ago

One of the very best, Levon Helm.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

Hawkins was awesome. No doubt about that. I'd love to see Cindy Blackman Santana given a try. Stephen Perkins is a friend of Grohl's and he may have gotten a call. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1.2    2 years ago

After Neil Peart died (still cannot get over that), Hawkins became one of my top drummers to watch.  

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.2  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    2 years ago

I wasn't much of a Rush fan, but Peart was truly great. I really used to like Scott Rockenfield of Queensrÿche, but he sort of dropped out of everything in 2017. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    2 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

RIP Taylor you were one of the very best. 

I would have loved to see Taylor and Randy Castillo in a drum challenge. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @4    2 years ago
I would have loved to see Taylor and Randy Castillo in a drum challenge. 

Absolutely ... similar styles.   Randy more of a wild-man whereas Taylor more technical but both creative, fast and skillful.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

Opiods.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

Nandee

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

The Rev...