╌>

Capitol Police say 'there is no evidence' of reconnaissance tour by GOP lawmaker before January 6 | CNN Politics

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  19 comments

By:   Zachary Cohen,Whitney Wild (CNN)

Capitol Police say 'there is no evidence' of reconnaissance tour by GOP lawmaker before January 6 | CNN Politics
US Capitol Police have concluded after reviewing security footage that "there is no evidence" GOP Rep. Barry Loudermilk led a reconnaissance tour with Trump supporters trying to learn more about the Capitol complex the day before the deadly January 6 insurrection.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

US Capitol Police have concluded after reviewing security footage that "there is no evidence" GOP Rep. Barry Loudermilk led a reconnaissance tour with Trump supporters trying to learn more about the Capitol complex the day before the deadly January 6 insurrection.

The House select committee investigating January 6, 2021, raised the issue publicly in a letter last month asking Loudermilk to explain the purpose of his January 5 meeting with a group of constituents. Days after the attack, some Democrats began accusing Republicans of providing tours to individuals who later went on to storm the Capitol.

"There is no evidence that Representative Loudermilk entered the U.S. Capitol with this group on January 5, 2021," Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger wrote in a letter on Monday to Rep. Rodney Davis, the top Republican on the House Administration Committee. "We train our officers on being alert for people conducting surveillance or reconnaissance, and we do not consider any of the activities we observed as suspicious."

The Capitol Police review was done at the urging of Davis. The police review of security video from January 5, 2021, comes after the House select committee raised concerns about Loudermilk hosting visitors in his office that day and requested that he voluntarily answer questions.

Manger said the video shows Loudermilk with "a group of approximately 12 people which later grew to 15 people" walking through the Capitol office buildings on January 5. It also states that the group of visitors did not "appear in any tunnels that would lead them to the US Capitol."

House Republicans suggested they may release video they believe exonerates Loudermilk of any insinuation that he led a so-called "reconnaissance" tour the night before the January 6 riot.

The House select committee declined to comment on Manger's letter.

The letter the committee sent to Loudermilk last month indicated the panel has reviewed evidence that "directly contradicts" previous claims by Republican lawmakers who said security footage from the days before January 6 shows there were "no tours, no large groups, no one with MAGA hats on" at the US Capitol complex.

"Based on our review of evidence in the Select Committee's possession, we believe you have information regarding a tour you led through parts of the Capitol complex on January 5, 2021," Chairman Bennie Thompson, a Democrat from Mississippi, and Vice Chairwoman Liz Cheney, a Republican from Wyoming, wrote at the time.

Loudermilk and Davis issued a joint statement responding to the committee's initial letter, pushing back on any allegation of "reconnaissance" tours on January 5 and calling for Capitol Police to release the footage.

"A constituent family with young children meeting with their Member of Congress in the House Office Buildings is not a suspicious group or 'reconnaissance tour.' The family never entered the Capitol building," they wrote at the time.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
Loudermilk and Davis issued a joint statement responding to the committee's initial letter, pushing back on any allegation of "reconnaissance" tours on January 5 and calling for Capitol Police to release the footage.

Let's see how much integrity the committee has.

Will they publicly admit they had zero evidence in this case, but still made their allegations public?

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.1  goose is back  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
Let's see how much integrity the committee has.

You are kidding...right? This committee has no interest in getting to any kind of truth other than Orange Man bad. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  goose is back @1.1    2 years ago
You are kidding...right?

Maybe I can relabel that as a rhetorical comment.

I think we already know the answer.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

And he isn't the only one that has been accused by a couple of our friends here. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2    2 years ago
And he isn't the only one that has been accused by a couple of our friends here. 

Yes, I seem to remember a few fine folks getting ALL kinds of worked up over this.

Seems like they wasted their faux-poutrage on a nothing-burger.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

No, they are now going to demand the FBI conduct and investigation; because the Capitol City police (the very ones they applauded on Jan 6th and cried over) are corrupt, incompetent, boobs. The FBI is bound to find some evidence that was missed. Even if the committee has to manufacture it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
ill they publicly admit they had zero evidence in this case, but still made their allegations public?

It's telling they need to push such easily discredited story lines. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.4    2 years ago
It's telling they need to push such easily discredited story lines. 

Or such bullshit about how much Guilfoyle was paid--as if THAT has anything to do with January 6!!!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

That's weird.

I've been told repeatedly on this site that happened.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago
I've been told repeatedly on this site that happened.  

And I bet not a single one of those claiming it will be honest enough to admit they fell for a dirty Democratic trick, either.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    2 years ago

Maybe not this guy, but there were other gqp members giving 'tours' just before 1/6/21

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

The first time that I explored the Capital was when I was in high school in April 1971 during Vietnam protests.  There were about  175,000 people protesters on the Mall and it was one big party.  I went into the Capital, with a buddy, both of us were very high and we were seen taking pictures where we weren't allowed to. To avoid our film being taken we ran and ended up at an elevator that said for Senate Staff Only.   We took it and ended up in the then new Senate Office area.  I knew the daughter of a Senator home town secretary and got from him passes to a Senate hearing thinking we could escape in the crowd,  It turned out to be the John Kerry testimony before the Senate Panel.

I was in line behind Sen Metzenbaum from Ohio and escaped with my film intact.  Good times then unlike now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    2 years ago

So are you comparing that with 1-6-21?????????

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    2 years ago

It was a different party while flouting the rules.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

It was a different party while flouting the rules.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Come on, Liz.

Come on, Bennie.

Show some common decency and publicly apologize.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @6    2 years ago
publicly apologize

They won't and you know it.  They are like a few posters on this site who cannot acknowledge when they are proven wrong.  I won't be surprised if they double-down in the coming days to state someone else was giving those recon tours.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @6.1    2 years ago
They won't and you know it. 

Sadly, you are, of course, correct.