╌>

Congressional Black Caucus calls for national emergency after SCOTUS decision | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Cheyanne M. Daniels (The Hill)

Congressional Black Caucus calls for national emergency after SCOTUS decision | The Hill
Members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) are urging President Biden to declare a national emergency in response to the Supreme Court's decision striking down the Roe v. Wade ruling on abortion rights. In a letter to Biden, the CBC members said he should use "every tool" at his disposal to protect access to abortion…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Cheyanne M. Daniels - 06/24/22 2:49 PM ET

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) are urging President Biden to declare a national emergency in response to the Supreme Court's decision striking down the Roe v. Wade ruling on abortion rights.

In a letter to Biden, the CBC members said he should use "every tool" at his disposal to protect access to abortion services.

The letter also reminded Biden that some states — including Louisiana, South Dakota, Kentucky and Missouri — have "trigger" laws that will essentially ban abortion immediately.

"Every day we wait to respond is a day wasted in mitigating the public health crisis that Roe's dismantling will catalyze," the lawmakers wrote in the letter.

They also said the court's decision will disproportionately affect Black women living in the South at a time when the maternal health crisis is already severely affecting the Black community. The Biden administration released a plan to tackle the maternal health care crisis Friday, promising to focus on building equity within the system.

"These unprecedented and calculated attacks on our bodily autonomy are a direct affront to the lives and freedom of Black women," the caucus's letter said.

Members of the caucus have also released individual statements denouncing the conservative court's 6-3 decision.

Rep. Joyce Beatty (D-N.Y.), the chairwoman of the CBC, released a statement saying, "The hands of time have once again been turned back."

"Let me be very clear: government-mandated pregnancy is not pro-life, it is pro-policing of women's bodies," she said.

Meanwhile, Rep. Val Demings (D), who is running for the Senate in Florida, said she was "ready to fight" for reproductive freedom.

In September, Demings introduced the Women's Health Protection Act, which would codify the right to access abortion across the nation. It was blocked in the Senate.

"Freedom means the ability to live your life as you choose," said Demings. "You have a fundamental, God-given right to your own life, your family, your religion, your circumstances, your privacy, your values, your health, your body. I'm going to fight for that freedom and so will millions of others. This isn't over."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
"Let me be very clear: government-mandated pregnancy is not pro-life, it is pro-policing of women's bodies," she said.

I sure wish the lady was clear in recognizing that the government is not mandating pregnancy.

What a moronic thing to claim!

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

Abortion rights ultimately descend from the concept of habeus corpus, that we have "a right to the liberty of our bodies" and the state must show just cause to deprive us of that liberty or to "have the body" as habeus corpus translates.

I sure wish the lady was clear in recognizing that the government is not mandating pregnancy.

If the government is mandating that a pregnancy not be terminated then it is mandating that pregnancy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1    2 years ago
If the government is mandating that a pregnancy not be terminated then it is mandating that pregnancy.

Well, we have different understandings of what 'mandate' means then.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.2  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    2 years ago

No.

There is an understanding and a misunderstanding.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.2    2 years ago
man·date
[ˈmanˌdāt]
NOUN
  1. an official order or commission to do something:
    "a mandate to seek the release of political prisoners"
    synonyms:
    instruction · directive · direction · decree · command · order · 
    [more]
  2. the authority to carry out a policy or course of action, regarded as given by the electorate to a candidate or party that is victorious in an election:
    "a sick leader living beyond his mandate"
    synonyms:
VERB
  1. give (someone) authority to act in a certain way:
    "other colleges have mandated coed fraternities"
    synonyms:
    authorize · commission · depute · appoint · nominate · name · empower · charge · choose · select · designate · elect · detail

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.5  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    2 years ago
an official order or commission to do something

An official order to not terminate a pregnancy.

A mandate to keep the pregnancy.

A mandated pregnancy.

Do we need crayons and a coloring book?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.5    2 years ago
An official order to not terminate a pregnancy.

The SCOTUS decision didn't say that. Where do you get an official order from?

A mandate to keep the pregnancy.

SCOTUS decision said nothing about that, either.

A mandated pregnancy.

I still prefer to go by the dictionary definition of 'mandate'.

Do we need crayons and a coloring book?

I don't know yet. What kind of picture would you have me draw you to convey you don't understand the SCOTUS decision?

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.7  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    2 years ago

The individual states are delivering the mandates over women's bodies. 

The Supreme Court is empowering the states to do this.

Why are you having trouble with the basic logic of the impact of this decision?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  Revillug @1.1.7    2 years ago

The logic is simple... The needs of society in general outweighs the needs of the few....

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.9  Revillug  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.8    2 years ago
The logic is simple... The needs of society in general outweighs the needs of the few....

Wow.

Society in general needs women to carry unwanted pregnancies to full term?

In what way does your AR-15 polishing tush need a single-mother (whom you have never even met) living at or near the poverty level to carry an unwanted pregnancy to full term?

The logic is simple.

There is definitely something simple I am witnessing here, but it is not the logic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.7    2 years ago
The individual states are delivering the mandates over women's bodies. 

There is no continuing need to display your misconception of 'mandate'.

The Supreme Court is empowering the states to do this.

Yes, they are, Just like before Roe v. Wade.

That's rich coming from someone who can't understand  what a 'mandate' is. 

I asked you what kind of picture you needed me to draw you.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.11  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.10    2 years ago
There is no continuing need to display your misconception of 'mandate'.

As long as you continue to display that you are unable to understand the concept of a women being mandated to keep her pregnancy full term, I will continue.

My conscience does not let me allow such ignorance to go on without being addressed.

Because your brand of ignorance is causing a lot of harm in this world.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.11    2 years ago

Of course you are free to display your misunderstanding of mandate!

I wouldn't stop you if I could!

Now, what kind of picture do you need!

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.13  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    2 years ago
Now, what kind of picture do you need!

[ Deleted ]

Why do I bring up the Klan?

Funny you should ask.

As of today, following the SCOTUS ruling empowering states to mandate that women carry their abortions full term, six states have full abortion bans with no exceptions for rape or incest:

Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, and South Dakota

Here is a list of the six states with the largest number of Klan groups in the USA:

Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Arkansas

Three states managed to be on both lists.

What an accomplishment!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.13    2 years ago
Do you have a picture of yourself not wearing a Klan robe?

Sure, but I really don't see how that will explain to you that you just don't know what a mandate is.

Better try some other lame-ass tactic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.13    2 years ago
Why do I bring up the Klan?

Because you have no logical argument and have been reduced to deflecting.

Funny you should ask.

Ah, but NO ONE asked! What exactly are the voices you hear telling you?

As of today, following the SCOTUS ruling empowering states to mandate that women carry their abortions full term, six states have full abortion bans with no exceptions for rape or incest:

Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, and South Dakota

nytimes

Here is a list of the six states with the largest number of Klan groups in the USA:

Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Arkansas

Three states managed to be on both lists.

I would like to assume you actually have some cogent point to make and are just hiding behind your deflection. Am I wrong to assume you have a point?

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.16  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.14    2 years ago
but I really don't see how that will explain to you that you just don't know what a mandate is.

Of you can't see that.

You can't understand how a prohibition against abortion is a mandate to keep a pregnancy.

Do you also struggle with recognizing that when you see a coin face up on a table that its tail side is facing down?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.16    2 years ago
Of you can't see that

I can see clearly you are confused what a mandate is. We have been through all this already.

You can't understand how a prohibition against abortion is a mandate to keep a pregnancy.

I DO understand what a mandate is--something else we have already been over.

Do you also struggle with recognizing that when you see a coin face up on a table that its tail side is facing down?

Can't you just tell me what kind of picture I need to draw for you to understand?

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.18  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    2 years ago
I can see clearly you are confused what a mandate is. We have been through all this already.

And you have learned nothing.

You seem to be making the point that since Alito did not say something like, "as of today, all women in the United States must get pregnant" that women in six states as of today are not in the position of being mandated by the states they live in to continue their pregnancies.

The lesson will continue until the pupil learns something or drops out of the class.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.19  JBB  replied to  Revillug @1.1.18    2 years ago

Some folks are slow learners. Some never do!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.21  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1.18    2 years ago

get back to me when you learn what  a mandate is, until then please don't bother me with  your trifling nonsense 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

Oh God, there's the fool who decided to run against Marco Rubio!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
What a moronic thing to claim!

Yep, the crazies and brain dead are going to come crawling out of the woodwork now... We are about to get a good healthy serving of the hate that has been underlying everything they do...

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.3.1  Revillug  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.3    2 years ago
hate

I definitely am not on this website to send warm regards.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Joe being president should be declared a national emergency.