╌>

Border Collie a hero, 'true Lassie' to man who fell 70 feet in Tahoe National Forest

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Tim Stelloh

Border Collie a hero, 'true Lassie' to man who fell 70 feet in Tahoe National Forest
A man's Border Collie acted as a "true Lassie" after he fell 70 feet in a remote section of the Tahoe National Forest last week and the animal helped a rescue team find him

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man's Border Collie acted as a "true Lassie" after he fell 70 feet in a remote section of Tahoe National Forest last week and the animal helped lead a search and rescue team to him, authorities said.

The 53-year-old man thought he had broken his hip and ribs after falling the night of July 12, NBC affiliate KCRA of Sacramento reported.

The man managed to find a location with cellphone service and dial local authorities, and a team of 25 search and rescue members from the Nevada County Sheriff's Office were dispatched to find him the following day, according to KCRA and the sheriff's search and rescue team.

220719-border-collie-hero-dog-ac-727p-f5ef43.jpg Saul, the border collie hero dog.Nevada County Sheriff's Search & Rescue via Facebook

"Some searchers thought they heard a voice calling out, but they couldn't figure out where it was coming from," Sgt. Dennis Hack told KRCA.

The team pinged the man's cellphone and talked to a friend to try and determine his location, the station reported.

That's when the man's dog, Saul, came barreling through the woods and led the team back to his owner, according to KCRA and the sheriff's search and rescue team.

"The true credit goes to the subject's K9 Border Collie that ran through the forest approximately 200 yards and in true 'Lassie' fashion to flag down two searchers," the team said in a Facebook post.

220719-rescue-team-ac-728p-f0a997.jpg Members of the rescue team gather at a helicopter.Nevada County Sheriff's Search & Rescue via Facebook

The team found the man under a camouflage tarp, the post said. He was taken by helicopter for treatment for traumatic injuries, the station reported.

"Great work and skill by all involved today and for the Border Collie, he was transported back to Grass Valley and given a well-deserved dinner," the post said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1  Revillug    2 years ago

Whenever I see a hero dog I try to convince them that I am a dog too.

But then they see my wristwatch.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

Have known a few good dogs over the years. 

There is a reason that they are called man's best friend.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.1  Revillug  replied to  cjcold @1.1    2 years ago

I'm a cat person by default. A dog would just be too much trouble in the city. Walking the dog four times a day and dealing with poop bags is  more than I want to deal with and then there are the days when the hill my building is on is just a sheet of ice.

You get a lot less emotional support from cats than dogs, thats for sure. But I have a fond memory from when I had three cats at the same time. The youngest cat perched atop one of the dressers meowing at the top of his lungs. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to tell me. Then at meal time one of the cats was missing. He had gotten himself locked in the bottom dresser drawer. That's what the youngest cat was trying to draw my attention to.

That was practically Lassie Lite material.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

Who's a good boy?  Saul's a good boy.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    2 years ago

I was just thinking that

Thomas
Senior Guide
3  Thomas    2 years ago

And for once I can say it without sarcastic tone,"WOOF!"

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

Treats all around, on me.

Well done, Lassie

Veronica
Professor Guide
5  Veronica    2 years ago

Border Collies are very intelligent.  I had a mix BC and beagle.  Smart dog (drove hubby crazy) and very devoted to me.  He has been gone almost 30 years and I still miss him.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @5    2 years ago

I just love border collies. I had an actual collie as a kid and she was just a great dog.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    2 years ago

My first dog as an adult was a border collie german shephard mix. She was super smart and very protective. I miss her very much

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

Does Saul like Pupperoni?

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.1  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    2 years ago
Pupperoni?

My BC loved then and "People Crackers".  His name was Mutt and if we went out to dinner at Pizza Hut and din't bring him home a slice he was PISSED...

file_4080_People_Crackers_medium.jpg?1235058054