╌>

Gov. Greg Abbott should have known not to mess with Texas mamas

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  34 comments

By:    Anthea Butler - MSNBC Opinion Columnist

Gov. Greg Abbott should have known not to mess with Texas mamas

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

They say nothing changes in Texas politics — until it does.

The same is being said now by some Texas mothers who are tired of Texas Republican   Gov. Greg Abbott , who is   running for re-election   against former U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, a Democrat.   Mothers Against Greg Abbott , a new political action committee, excoriates Abbott in a compelling online political ad blasting his stances on women’s rights and trans rights, blaming him for the state’s failing power grid and implicating him in a long list of grievances that makes your head spin.

The ad is a litany of the horrible   policies   promoted by Abbott and his Republican colleagues that have made the state a hell for anyone with a working conscience. From   threatening to take trans kids away from their parents , to   putting a bounty on women   who seek abortion and a bounty on anyone who tries to help them get one, to   loosening gun laws   amid so many mass shootings, Texas isn’t a great state anymore. It’s a failed state.

The Mothers Against Gregg Abbott PAC is a savvy salvo into the very realm that Republicans and evangelicals believe they control: the family. It puts faces on the women and families who have been harmed or threatened by the retrograde policies of the Abbott administration. The ad also highlights the diversity of the Texas population and, thus, the kind of voters who can bring into existence what Republicans such as Abbott are most afraid of: Texas going blue.

These women paint a more accurate picture of the gun-loving Republican governor who, according to his official schedule,  did not attend a single funeral  of the 19 children and two teachers shot dead in Uvalde in May  by a teenager with an AR-15-style weapon . While Abbott wants to appear to be about family values, he has been inflicting pain and suffering upon Texas residents. From the   246 people who died  in the  winter 2021 storm  dubbed the 'Texas Freeze,' to women who have suffered miscarriages and been denied  health care  since the end of Roe v. Wade, Abbott has touted prosperity but his polices have brought pain.

The ad is also an indictment of the patriarchal Texas gun culture Abbott has promoted. We’ve now seen reports that at Uvalde’s Robb Elementary that fateful day on May 24,  376 officers were present , and they waited 77 minutes to confront the shooter. Abbott’s decision to  sign a bill ending the requirement  for training or a license to carry a handgun has made a state that was already awash in guns even more dangerous. Shootings in  Santa Fe El Paso  and  Uvalde  all argue against Abbott’s lenient gun policies.

As a Texan who has watched with dismay and absolute disgust at the death-dealing decisions Abbott has made, the Mothers Against Greg Abbott ad is a much-needed injection of hope, especially when combined with the news that O’Rourke   hit a new fundraising record   of $27.6 million between late February and the end of June. O’Rourke has a good chance to upend the incumbent Abbott, whose decisions have not been made in service to Texans, but out of   an endless pursuit of donations   and corporate relocations.

It is not hyperbole to say that Abbott and his administration have set Texas back to the 1950s. A failing power grid that is barely holding through a hot summer, rising crime rates,   Covid deaths , restrictions on women’s health care, and   immigrants dying in overheated trucks   are not the kind of stories that inspire confidence in a governor who appears always willing to double down and treat the citizens of Texas as collateral damage to his political ambitions.

Mothers Against Greg Abbott (Get it? MAGA) are in the tradition of Texas women   Barbara Jordan ,   Molly Ivins   and former Texas Gov.   Ann Richards . Texas women are determined and resourceful. If you get us mad, we’re going to come after you — especially if you are hurting children. Abbott should be worried because once you’ve made a Texas woman angry, you’re in for a world of hurt.   As Jan Jarboe Russell wrote years ago , “ Don’t mess with Texas women — or our daughters to come.

Abbott should take heed because this is a MAGA movement that seeks to make Texas great again — without him.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

Whatever your take on this article, Greg Abbott shot any hopes he may have had re 2024 months ago. At this point he is not even fodder for VP.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1  JBB  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

Abbott is not a stand up man. He lacks backbone! Some nerve...

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    2 years ago

original

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

One is almost tempted to quote Sarah Palin.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @2.1    2 years ago

remember to turn off spellcheck first...

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Ender  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    2 years ago

By golly, i mays not bee ables tp spel butt i can shoots a wolf from a hellacopter, doncha no...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ender @2.1.2    2 years ago

Didn't the idiot wink, not authentic

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.3    2 years ago

... but effective, if you're trying to get septuagenarians to reach for something big in their pants, and then wind up grabbing their wallets instead.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I smell a catfish  close by 

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4    2 years ago

Yep, you're gonna need a big jar of Tartar Sauce!

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.1  GregTx  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 years ago

Get a rope....

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  GregTx @4.1.1    2 years ago

Hush Puppy!

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.3  GregTx  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    2 years ago

Exactly!! Take that communist tartar talk somewhere else...

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  JBB  replied to  GregTx @4.1.3    2 years ago

Don't look now but that catfish Is really a sock puppet...

original

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.6  GregTx  replied to  JBB @4.1.4    2 years ago

OMG, What should we do JBB??!!

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.7  JBB  replied to  GregTx @4.1.6    2 years ago

Noodle...

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.8  Dulay  replied to  JBB @4.1    2 years ago

If it smells like fish, you shouldn't eat it. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.9  GregTx  replied to  JBB @4.1.7    2 years ago

Have you ever actually done that? Just asking, cause it seems a little crazy to go poking your arm into any ole place to catch something when some bait on the end of a line will accomplish the same thing.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.10  JBB  replied to  Dulay @4.1.8    2 years ago

Catfish must be thoroughly bled out, gutted, cleaned, skinned, well seasoned and then rolled in cornmeal before frying!

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.11  JBB  replied to  GregTx @4.1.9    2 years ago

Yes, and still have scars to prove it. I grew up on the Red River.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.12  Dulay  replied to  JBB @4.1.11    2 years ago

I always drove straight through TX. One of the few states I have no interest in visiting. By the time I run out of places to go, TX will be an even worse cesspool of chemical pollution. Sad because I have seen videos of the TX gulf coast and it looks beautiful. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.13  GregTx  replied to  JBB @4.1.11    2 years ago

Ahhh, I see...

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.14  JBB  replied to  Dulay @4.1.12    2 years ago

Texas is big so there are beautiful spots, few and far apart...

Dallas and Houston are ugly endless highways and concrete.

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.15  GregTx  replied to  Dulay @4.1.12    2 years ago

I feel you, I'm the same way about Oklahoma. Hopefully you never run out of places to go. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Ender  replied to  JBB @4.1.14    2 years ago

I don't think Houston is that bad. Some good hospitals.

The loop around the city, no thanks.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.18  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Dulay @4.1.8    2 years ago

see, thats not what i was told .

if it smells like fish , its a dish 

if it smells like cologne , leave it alone 

if it smells like bread , if you stick your weiner in youll wish you were dead ....

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @4.1.14    2 years ago
Dallas and Houston are ugly endless highways and concrete.

Aren’t both historically and currently Demo?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Lol.

PressReleaseTalkers!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I notice that Ann Richards was mentioned in the article.  While she was governor I attended a convention in Dallas where she spoke, and I've got to tell you that she sure as hell knocked me out, and if she's an example of a Texas Mama, I think their chances of dumping Abbot have got to be pretty good. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago

I was fortunate to live in TX while she was governor. I admired and respected her very much. She wasn't afraid to say what she meant

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    2 years ago
Mothers Against Greg Abbott (Get it? MAGA)

Clever!