╌>

Alan Dershowitz believes Liz Cheney will become a Democrat and run against Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  78 comments

By:   Just The News

Alan Dershowitz believes Liz Cheney will become a Democrat and run against Trump
Famed law professor also applauded judge's decision not to label a Jan. 6 defendant as a terrorist to enhance his punishment.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Longtime Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz says he believes that Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) may switch political parties and run as a Democrat against former President Donald Trump.

"I think, as a Democrat, I think she will join the Democratic Party, and maybe even run for office as a Democrat," Dershowitz told the "Just the News, Not Noise" TV show on Monday after discussing the controversy surrounding the National Guard not being called on Jan. 6.

Host John Solomon pointed out that Cheney's father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, called on troops as defense secretary to help quell unrest during the Rodney King protests back in 1992 but only after local officials requested the help.

"Her father was a very, very different person, and children should not be held responsible for their parents or parents with their job," Dershowitz said.

Dershowitz also praised the decision by a federal judge not to label a Jan. 6 defendant as a terrorist to enhance his punishment as the Justice Department asked.

"It was the right decision," Dershowitz stated. "He's not a terrorist. He's a protester. And he went too far and carried a gun. He didn't go into the Capitol. Interestingly enough, that's not what he was indicted for. He was indicted for essentially provoking others to violence."

Dershowitz went on to discuss a law student of his who was prevented from getting his law degree simply because he went to the Jan. 6 protest.

"I have a final law school student who just went into the Capitol having been welcomed by the police and then left when they told him to go, and he's been indicted for a felony and prevented him from getting his law degree," said Dershowitz. "So we have to make distinctions between what the people did, who they were, and whether their actions are protected by the First Amendment."

Dershowitz is the author of the just-published "The Price of Principle: Why Integrity is Worth the Consequences," his 50th book.

"It tells a very personal story of what happens when you try to stick with your principles instead of being a partisan," he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Imagine: He just finished his 50th book.

Will he be right on Cheney, as with just about everything else?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

I don't think so but it would be interesting.  Too conservative for most democrats and burnt too many bridges to expect much of a conservative vote for her as a democrat.  The democrat hero worship she is enjoying now only goes so far, especially considering the democrat proclivity to eat their own if they do one thing against the collective 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1    2 years ago
The democrat hero worship she is enjoying now only goes so far,

I think Jeff Flake found that out.

Democrats don't need Cheney to run, but they desperately want Trump to run.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1    2 years ago
The democrat hero worship she is enjoying now only goes so far, especially considering the democrat proclivity to eat their own if they do one thing against the collective 

That's hilarious considering what the conservatives are doing to Liz for going against the collective.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.1.2    2 years ago

Deflection attempt noted

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.1.4  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.3    2 years ago

Not deflection.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy of your own comment.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

I can't imagine her winning the Democratic nomination.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

It could happen.    She burned here all her Republican bridges except the few never trumpers like her.    Dems would gladly accept her, if for no other reason than she is a never trumper and would put some butt-cream on their TDS.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.3    2 years ago
It could happen.  

You think D voters and the D establishment would accept Cheney given she has not changed her ideological / political views in the slightest?   Her views are solid GoP less MAGA, not D.

Dems would gladly accept her, ...

We are not talking about her being allowed to be a D, but running for PotUS as a D.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    2 years ago

See 1.3 for your answer.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.2    2 years ago

Be interesting to see what the D members think.  

To all D members of NT:   

Would you vote for Liz Cheney to be the presidential nominee of the D party in 2024?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.4  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.3    2 years ago

I don't think she has a prayer in hell to run as a Democrat. Some moderates are trying to build the Forward Party. Not that I consider Ms Cheney moderate. Perhaps they will take her in.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.3    2 years ago

Doubtful NT will be very representative of the average D in the US.     Like taking a poll at a liberal arts college.

Not very representative.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.6  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.5    2 years ago

I did not state that this was a poll.   In fact, this is what I wrote:

TiG@1.3.3 ☞ Be interesting to see what the D members think.  

See how that is NOT claiming a poll or that this would statistically represent the D voters in the nation?     Just a curiosity about what the NT D members think.   

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3.7  SteevieGee  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.3    2 years ago

Absolutely not.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.8  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.6    2 years ago
I did not state that this was a poll. 

Lol .... I didn’t say you did.

Man you are touchy ......

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.9  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.8    2 years ago

Just correcting your confusion, Sparty.   

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3.10  SteevieGee  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.3    2 years ago

Cheney has integrity.  She supports the Constitution.  That, in itself, doesn't make her a Democrat.  It does, however, disqualify her from ever getting the Republican nomination so...  I guess she's screwed.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.11  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.9    2 years ago

No need, worry about your own befuddlement.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.12  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.3.10    2 years ago

Cheney, like the McCain’s, is a never Trumper.     Nothing more.     She sold her soul to her TDS.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.13  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.12    2 years ago

Cheney represents the sane remaining portion of the pre-Trump GoP;  MAGA (those who remain) are the irrational Trump sycophants who would follow a miserable individual who as PotUS arguably committed sedition.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.14  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.13    2 years ago
Cheney represents the sane remaining portion of the pre-Trump GoP

opinions do vary.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.15  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.14    2 years ago

I am sure Trump sycophants would see things differently.   After all, anyone who believes Trump’s Big Lie is in fantasyland by definition.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.16  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.15    2 years ago

Yep, understood considering. 

TDS ridden workers drones always do what the hive programs

Mindless as they are ....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.3    2 years ago

If she ran as a republican I might think about it. But she wouldn't be comfortable in the Democratic Party and she doesn't belong there

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3.18  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.12    2 years ago
Cheney, like the McCain’s, is a never Trumper.

Her Congressional voting record says otherwise.  She voted with Trump over 90% of the time.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.19  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.3.18    2 years ago

Two different things.    

She’s firmly in the Bush/McCain family of never Trumpers.    Trump was mean to Jeb and John and also had the temerity to not automatically kowtow to the Republican establishment.

So Trump bad, even when she agreed with him.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3.20  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.19    2 years ago

Their main difference is that she respects the Constitution and Trump doesn't.  Other than that they agree on many many things.  Trump has effectively broken the GOP in half.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.21  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.3.20    2 years ago
Their main difference is that she respects the Constitution and Trump doesn't.

Opinions on that do vary

Other than that they agree on many many things.  Trump has effectively broken the GOP in half.

Perhaps for card carrying Republicans but not the rest of us conservative moderates.    You’ve been seeing that in special elections and primaries since 2020.     Trump supported candidates winning left and right.  

Gird your loins for the ass kicking Dems have coming this November.    The people will judge Dems and Biden’s performance very harshly.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3.22  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.21    2 years ago
Opinions on that do vary

My opinion on that doesn't vary at all.

"the President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and the House of Representatives, open all of the certificates and the votes shall then be counted. -- The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President"

--  The same Constitution that guarantees your right to bear arms.

I'm proud that this is exactly what happened in spite of all the lies, intimidation, voter suppression, and violence perpetrated by the former President. --  This time.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.4  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

I find it ironic that you herald Dershowitz and Turley while dismissing and bemoaning every other academic elite on the planet. 

BTW, John Solomon is a hack. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago
"The Price of Principle: Why Integrity is Worth the Consequences," his 50th book.

Alan Dershowitz is one of the more disgraced public figures in America, which makes the title of his book sadly ironic. 

Anyone who would go on a show with John Solomon is not to be believed or trusted. Of course we also have seen Dershowitz suck up to Trump and he even worked as an impeachment defense lawyer of Trump. 

No Democrat with any "integrity" considers Dershowitz to still be a Democrat. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago
Alan Dershowitz is one of the more disgraced public figures in America,

He is?  OMG, when did that happen?

Anyone who would go on a show with John Solomon is not to be believed or trusted. Of course we also have seen Dershowitz suck up to Trump and he even worked as an impeachment defense lawyer of Trump. 

I guess Solomon and Trump are now toxic.

A democrat with integrity?  You mean Kirsten Sinema?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

You mean Kirsten Sinema?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

Disgraced lawyer Alan Dershowitz goes on national TV to complain that he's been "silenced"

MARK FRAUENFELDER     9:56 AM WED   JUL 20, 2022
CleanShot-2022-07-20-at-12.53.51@2x-scaled.jpg?fit=1&resize=620%2C4000&ssl=1 Newsmax/Twitter

Alan Dershowitz, stalwart defender/pal of traitorous Donald Trump and child raper/sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, is suffering greatly on the wealthy island of Martha's Vineyard. He went on Greta van Susteren's Newsmax show to describe the trauma of being shunned by his neighbors. He said the local library refuses to allow him to speak there.

A sad fate indeed for the disgraced lawyer, who admits to receiving at least one massage at billionaire Epstein's South Beach mansion. Dershowitz's explanation for the massage would make for a fitting epitaph on his tombstone: "I kept my underwear on during the massage. I don't like massages particularly."

Dershowitz: I am so silenced I can go on national TV anytime I want to talk about how silenced I am!   — Spiro Agnew's Ghost (@SpiroAgnewGhost)   July 19, 2022

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    2 years ago

She's a corrupt DINO, just like Manchin

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    2 years ago
"Alan Dershowitz, stalwart defender/pal of traitorous Donald Trump and child raper/sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, is suffering greatly on the wealthy island of Martha's Vineyard. He went on Greta van Susteren's Newsmax show to describe the trauma of being shunned by his neighbors. He said the local library refuses to allow him to speak there."

Remember the claims about this scumbag Dershowitz getting massages in his underwear from underage girls?  Ya!  No funny business going on there at all!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    2 years ago

I know, he's the devil incarnate.

The question is: Could he be right about Liz?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

What principles?

These guys kill me.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

A fine example of democrats eating their own for not following the party line.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.3    2 years ago

"Pity is treason.".....Maximilien Robespierre

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.3    2 years ago
A fine example of democrats eating their own for not following the party line.

Isn't that EXACTLY what the republicans are doing to Cheney?  Your projections are getting a little obvious.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.3.3  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.2    2 years ago

No, Cheney is trying to violate every standard in her all out efforts to get Trump.

She wants to control the Republican Party; even after they rejected her.

She is her father's daughter for sure. Power hungry to a fault.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.3.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.2    2 years ago
Your projections are getting a little obvious.

As are your deflections

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.3.4    2 years ago

As are your deflections

Cheney is the subject of the seeded article, I am right on subject no deflection.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.3.6  Nerm_L  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.2    2 years ago
Isn't that EXACTLY what the republicans are doing to Cheney?  Your projections are getting a little obvious.

Umm... no, that's a swing and a miss.  Republicans aren't eating Cheney because she pities Democrats.

The Republican Party is being eaten by MAGA.  Cheney is an Hors d'oeuvre.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.7  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @2.3.6    2 years ago
The Republican Party is being eaten by MAGA. 

Exactly.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Nerm_L @2.3.6    2 years ago
The Republican Party is being eaten by MAGA.

And they are being eaten willingly.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.3.9  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.7    2 years ago
Exactly

But do you understand that 'exactly'?

This isn't the first time the Republican Party has been eaten.  There has been Reagan Republicans, the Gingrich Revolution, Bush's kinder-gentler Republicans, the TEA Party.  MAGA is just another iteration.  However, this time really is different.

How long has Roe v. Wade been on conservatives' radar?  Who got it done?  And that's not the end of what has gotten done.  MAGA hasn't been more empty promises; MAGA has delivered.

Democrats (and liberals) have to deliver to compete with MAGA.  Promises aren't enough any longer.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.10  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @2.3.9    2 years ago
But do you understand that 'exactly'?

Yes.   MAGA is a disease because it carries with it ongoing support of Trump.   Take Trump out of the equation and MAGA is simply GoP raw meat.

Roe v. Wade was appealed because an R PotUS was able to nominate three conservative justices who were confirmed.  Something that any R PotUS would have likely done.   That changed the balance of the court sufficiently to take on something as divisive as abortion.   The added ingredient was having justices who clearly (demonstrably) are activist enough to throw fuel on the fire of divisiveness by bringing abortion front and center and in a major way.

The justices should have stuck with their prior indications that R v W was an historic precedent.    There was no pressing need to introduce such turmoil into our nation.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.3.11  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.10    2 years ago

MAGA wasn't created by Trump it simply latched onto him.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.12  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @2.3.11    2 years ago

If you mean that the raw meat that has been packaged as MAGA existed in the GoP prior to Trump then you really are saying what I just said.   Take Trump out of the picture and you have the MAGA raw meat of the GoP.

What Trump created was the labeled package.   He packaged up key raw meat principles and issues already part of the GoP and put a name to it.

This is why I have been so disappointed with the GoP.   Many behave as if Trump is necessary for MAGA.   That is absurd.   Many Rs could take the MAGA notion.   Trump is not only unnecessary, but he is a continued parasite on the GoP.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.13  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.12    2 years ago

Trump was king birther in 2011, because he wanted to run for president as a Republican in 2012. He became very popular with the white grievance crowd that resented the first black president, but had to forego a bid in 2012 because Obama released his birth certificate and embarrassed the shit out of Trump. 

In 2015 Trump was objectively a buffoon in the GOP debates , but he took control of the nomination race because he had a base built on white grievance. It was just a continuation of his popularity among birthers 3 or 4 years earlier. 

I would say that Trump preceded MAGA, but the fertile ground for MAGA was laid in 2011 , so in that sense "MAGA" was there before a Trump candidacy. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.14  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.13    2 years ago

Trump appealed to what I am calling the red meat within the MAGA package.  Those red meat principles, policies and positions have existed in the GoP for decades before Trump.

... he took control of the nomination race because he had a base built on white grievance ...

White grievance (depending how deep you want to go with this) is included in the red meat, but Trump's appeal originally (not anymore) was more than that.   Trump played the part of the anti-establishment type; the good-guy super-boss big-time-successful-tycoon who was going to drain the swamp of career politicians and undo all the damage they have done.    That clearly resonated with voters.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.15  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.14    2 years ago

No doubt, but Trumps initial appeal in politics in the 2010's was based on appeal to white grievance (thats essentially what bitherism is).  When he ran in 2015 he had a built in base. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.16  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.15    2 years ago

I focus on the base that gave him the nomination.   That base is not explained by white grievance alone.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.3.17  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.10    2 years ago
Yes.   MAGA is a disease because it carries with it ongoing support of Trump.   Take Trump out of the equation and MAGA is simply GoP raw meat.

Roe v. Wade was appealed because an R PotUS was able to nominate three conservative justices who were confirmed.  Something that any R PotUS would have likely done.   That changed the balance of the court sufficiently to take on something as divisive as abortion.   The added ingredient was having justices who clearly (demonstrably) are activist enough to throw fuel on the fire of divisiveness by bringing abortion front and center and in a major way.

The justices should have stuck with their prior indications that R v W was an historic precedent.    There was no pressing need to introduce such turmoil into our nation.

All of that only means that you are not a conservative and likely feel strongly enough to oppose conservatives rather than compromise.

You know, Bill Clinton was as big a scumbag as Trump.  But Clinton delivered what farther-left Democrats wanted.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.18  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @2.3.17    2 years ago
rather than compromise

There is no compromise on abortion. It is either on or off.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.19  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.16    2 years ago

I agree up to a point. Remember, at the time something like 60% of Republicans agreed with the birther belief that Obama was not born in America. That easily could be mainly Trumps base. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.20  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @2.3.17    2 years ago
All of that only means that you are not a conservative and likely feel strongly enough to oppose conservatives rather than compromise.

R v W was a compromise.   It was a good compromise.   It was working just fine.

You know, Bill Clinton was as big a scumbag as Trump. 

Not even close.   How is it that people somehow blot out of their minds what Trump did as part of his Big Lie?   The guy arguably committed sedition (and more ... considering the attempts to coerce people to commit unconstitutional and likely illegal acts) while serving as PotUS.   Apparently it takes a legal trial and conviction for this concept to even register in some minds.   Clinton's lying under oath while trying to dodge embarrassing repercussions of his blow-job affair with Lewinsky is certainly a character issue but Clinton is not even in the same league as Trump when it comes to irresponsible narcissism and abysmal character.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.21  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @2.3.18    2 years ago
There is no compromise on abortion. It is either on or off.

I think RvW qualified abortion during the first two trimesters and in the case of danger to the mother in later stages qualifies as a compromise between the extremes of no abortion ever and abortion at any time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.22  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.20    2 years ago

There are right wingers who think Joe Biden has a worse character than Donald Trump, so nothing Nerm says will be a surprise. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.23  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.22    2 years ago

Yeah, it just boggles the mind.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.24  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.21    2 years ago

I thought RvW just gave it a green light. That another case gave the limits. I could be wrong but I was remembering two cases. The second affirmed or something and also set the limits.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.3.25  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @2.3.24    2 years ago

A quick summary: 

Roe v. Wade  410 U.S. 113 (1973)
The central court decision that created current abortion law in the U.S. is Roe v. Wade. In this
1973 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that women had a constitutional right to abortion, and
that this right was based on an implied right to personal privacy emanating from the Ninth and
Fourteenth Amendments.
In Roe v. Wade the Court said that a fetus is not a person but "potential life," and thus does not
have constitutional rights of its own. The Court also set up a framework in which the woman's
right to abortion and the state's right to protect potential life shift: during the first trimester of
pregnancy, a woman's privacy right is strongest and the state may not regulate abortion for any
reason; during the second trimester, the state may regulate abortion only to protect the health of
the woman; during the third trimester, the state may regulate or prohibit abortion to promote its
interest in the potential life of the fetus, except where abortion is necessary to preserve the
woman's life or health.

Doe v. Bolton   410 U.S. 179 (1973)   
Roe v. Wade was modified by another case decided the same day: Doe v. Bolton. In Doe v.
Bolton the Court ruled that a woman's right to an abortion could not be limited by the state if
abortion was sought for reasons of maternal health. The Court defined health as "all factors –
physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the woman's age – relevant to the well-being of
the patient." This health exception expanded the right to abortion for any reason through all
three trimesters of pregnancy. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.3.26  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.25    2 years ago

That was nice...

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.27  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.25    2 years ago

Thanks.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.28  Ender  replied to  GregTx @2.3.26    2 years ago

I still believe my original assertion. It is either on or off. The only compromise we are seeing is regulating what is on.

Most people on the right wing that are against it admit that their goal is to shut it off.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.29  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @2.3.25    2 years ago
A quick summary

I'd totally forgotten about Doe v Bolton.  Big thanks for that summary.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Interesting observation that Trump now controls Liz Cheney's political future.  What is unsaid, but implied, is that Trump now has considerable influence over the future of the Democratic Party.  It seems that level-headed Democrats are seeing that the leadership(?) of the Democratic Party have gone too far.

Obviously the true-blue loyal Democratic base loves the red meat.  The problem is that there are more independent leaners than loyalists.  And there's no telling which way the independent wind will blow.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Nerm_L @3    2 years ago
What is unsaid, but implied, is that Trump now has considerable influence over the future of the Democratic Party.

Nonsense. The only thing Trump is to Democrats is a prime example of what not to be.

But this whole seed is just Dershowitz spouting his unfounded opinions, there is no actual evidence Liz is changing parties or running for President.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1    2 years ago
The only thing Trump is to Democrats is a prime example of what not to be.

Exactly, he has fallen from being a registered dem and donating over $2M to dems over the years to this.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1    2 years ago
Nonsense. The only thing Trump is to Democrats is a prime example of what not to be.

Trump has actually delivered some of the things that have been on conservatives' radar for a long time. Trump got 'er done.  Trump has more cattle than hats.  Better believe that's influencing the Democratic Party. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    2 years ago

I do not see that happening.   Makes no sense.   Cheney has much more in common with the GoP less MAGA than she does with the D party.    Further, the D party would never accept her.   

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 years ago

No way. Cheney is remarkable - and praiseworthy - for the way she has stood up to Trump and the January 6 rioters. All credit to where it’s due.

But nothing else has changed with respect to her positions on the issues. In that regard, she is no Democrat.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 years ago
In that regard, she is no Democrat.

She's only a Democrat to the dirty Donald sycophants who lick Trumps feet and are angered at her for not following suit. Her backbone and refusal to bow down to Trumplethinskin like so many other conservative Republicans has alienated her from Trumpublicans but no one else.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1    2 years ago

The only one claiming Cheney is a Democrat is Dershowitz. He is wrong; and as soon as the Democrats are done with her they will dump her.

Cheney is her father's daughter. She is a prime example of Establishment GOP bullshit. She wants to be the head of the Establishment GOP. She is willing to do anything to get that power. Trump stands in her way. Which is the reason she is willing to violate all standards, norms, and even the law if need be to do it.

Siding with the fucking TDS driven Democrats that are also willing to "get Trump at all costs" is the most expedient thing for her. Since they are Establishment Dems it will all come out in the wash down the road. Or so they think.

Fuck her; and fuck the Establishment on both sides.