╌>

Gov. Ron DeSantis suspends Hillsborough State Attorney Andrew Warren

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  29 comments

By:   Ben Montgomery,Selene San Felice (Axios)

Gov. Ron DeSantis suspends Hillsborough State Attorney Andrew Warren
The governor said his office is working to remove the twice-elected state attorney for Hillsborough County permanently.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is suspending Andrew Warren, the twice-elected state attorney for Hillsborough County, for failing to prosecute crimes DeSantis believes he should enforce.

Driving the news: DeSantis announced an executive order declaring that Warren is suspended from public office, effective immediately, at a press conference in Tampa Thursday.

• The governor appointed Hillsborough County Court judge Susan Lopez to serve as state attorney in the interim.
  • DeSantis said his office is working to remove Warren permanently.

Between the lines: DeSantis accuses Warren of "incompetence and willful defiance as early as June 2021" in the executive order.

• The order cites Warren's signing of a joint statement with other elected prosecutors — like Monique H. Worrell, the state attorney for Orange and Osceola counties — condemning laws that criminalize doctors who perform gender-affirming health care.
  • The governor's office also accuses Warren of acting "as law unto himself by instituting a policy ... of presumptive non-enforcement for certain criminal violations," citing his most recent pledge to not press charges against those receiving an abortion or their doctors.

Context: Warren has been state attorney in District 13 since 2017, when he upset longtime Hillsborough State Attorney Mark Ober.

• This isn't the first time a Florida governor has removed a state's attorney. Former Gov. Rick Scott removed former Orange and Osceola County State Attorney Aramis Ayala as head prosecutor in more than two dozen murder cases after she swore not to seek the death penalty.

What they're saying: "Not enforcing the law, that's a neglect of duty. That, quite frankly, is incompetence by Florida law. Saying you're not going to enforce the law is a dereliction of duty," said DeSantis.

The other side: Warren told Axios after DeSantis' order that his priority is an announcement set for later Thursday on the 1983 cold case murder of Barbara Grams, which Robert DuBoise was wrongfully convicted for and served 37 years in prison.

• Grams' family has been waiting on this announcement for so long, he said, that they don't deserve to be overshadowed by politics.

Three Republican sheriffs — Pasco County's Chris Nocco, Hillsborough County's Chad Chronister and Polk County's Grady Judd — joined DeSantis for the announcement Thursday, but none offered specific examples of wrongdoing by Warren.

Worrell's Office didn't immediately respond to Axios' requests for comment.

This is a breaking story. Check back for more updates.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

That's my choice for President, right there!

Take that Soros!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2  SteevieGee    2 years ago

So...  An elected official can fire another elected official now?  Way to subvert the will of the voters there Ronnie.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @2    2 years ago
So...  An elected official can fire another elected official now?

yes, apparently so, when said official is derelict in the performance of their duties.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  SteevieGee @2    2 years ago

The scumbag fired him for not enforcing the draconian abortion laws.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    2 years ago

Yea, he wasn't enforcing the orders of the Governor.  Congresspeople often ignore EOs from the President.  The President can't fire congresspeople.  These are elected officials.  Only the electorate should be able to fire them.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  SteevieGee @2.2.1    2 years ago
ongresspeople often ignore EOs from the President. 

Really? How is that possible?  

What EOs apply to the legislative branch?   Can the President order Congress how to vote? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    2 years ago

"The order cites Warren's signing of a joint statement with other elected prosecutors — like Monique H. Worrell, the state attorney for Orange and Osceola counties — condemning laws that criminalize doctors who perform gender-affirming health care."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @2.2.1    2 years ago
he wasn't enforcing the orders of the Governor.

Actually, he was not enforcing state law.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3  Tacos!  replied to  SteevieGee @2    2 years ago
So...  An elected official can fire another elected official now?

Yeah, he probably can - or suspend them at least. I don’t know how long that can last. If the DA were making this decision on a case-by-case basis, I don’t think there’s anything the governor could have done about it. But declaring that he won’t enforce it at all gives the governor room to act.

Perhaps if he had said he thought the law was unconstitutional, he might stand on firmer ground.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4  Tacos!  replied to  SteevieGee @2    2 years ago

So, I got to thinking about it, and it occurred to me that this suspension is only based on speech, not action, and is therefore probably unconstitutional per both the state and federal constitutions. It can’t be neglect of duty to merely say that you aren’t going to prosecute cases. The law under which DeSantis is issuing the suspension lists neglect of duty, but not a threat to neglect duty - if you see what I mean.

Honestly, the chances of this even coming up are probably pretty small, so he may never actually get the chance to not prosecute.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    2 years ago

Good for DeSantis.

Other governors in states with Soros-backed idiots as prosecutors should take note of the fine example set by DeSantis!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @3    2 years ago

FCK DeSantis!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1    2 years ago

I am not sold on the myth he would be willing to succumb to your romantic overtures.

With all the fine people in the world, why would you pick him?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1    2 years ago
FCK DeSantis!

You may wish to employ kinder words if you hope to seduce him.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    2 years ago
why would you pick him?

sorry Tex, you're not my type

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.3    2 years ago
sorry Tex, you're not my type

Did you read once again something no one wrote?

I specifically was referring to your infatuation and lust for DeSantis. I even specifically replied to your fucking DeSantis comment, didn't you notice?

Please do try at least to keep up with the conversation.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1    2 years ago

So you are two timing Trump!?

I am sure neither of them would care for your sexual overtures.

Brandon is very sleazy; try him instead. Just pose as his daughter.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.6  bugsy  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.5    2 years ago
Just pose as his daughter.

Don't think he would limit it to that.

I'm sure pretty much any young girl would do.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

If Warren won't enforce the law he should do the honorable thing and resign.  

If he won't resign and won't do his job he should be removed from office.  We can't have a functioning government if every DA or Judge simply lets their own morality dictate whether they will follow the law. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

should de santis also consider resigning every time he tries to subvert the US constitution?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4.1    2 years ago
should de santis also consider resigning every time he tries to subvert the US constitution?

And what have you imagined him doing now, pray tell.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @4.1    2 years ago

He's never done that..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.3    2 years ago

Can you possibly show where and when DeSantis said or ordered Disney to remain silent?

Or where Florida legislature prevented Disney from saying what they wished to say?

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    2 years ago

He and they didn't. To most liberals, the mere mention of DeSantis and Trump triggers feelings no normal human being would ever feel.

What they mean by curtailing free speech really means calling them out for the bullshit they throw out and hope sticks every single day,

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @4.1.5    2 years ago

I just get really tired of people making the most outlandish claims and then disappearing when called out on them.

Like we are stupid enough to not question idiocy when we see it.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    2 years ago
question idiocy

Almost a full time job doing this with most leftists on here.

Good thing I have an actual job.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.3    2 years ago

Stupidly laughable.

Seems the left is only for corporate welfare when they are woke assholes.