╌>

Black Lives Matter leader Shalomyah Bowers accused of siphoning off $10 million | Washington Examiner

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  23 comments

By:   Washington Examiner

Black Lives Matter leader Shalomyah Bowers accused of siphoning off $10 million | Washington Examiner
The leader of the national Black Lives Matter group has been accused of stealing more than $10 million from the charity's donors.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The leader of the national Black Lives Matter group has been accused of stealing more than $10 million from the charity's donors.

Black Lives Matter Grassroots, a nonprofit group that represents local BLM chapters across the country, accused the BLM Global Network Foundation and its board secretary, Shalomyah Bowers, in a lawsuit Thursday of fraudulently siphoning over $10 million in "fees" to Bowers's consulting firm. The lawsuit, which was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, says Bowers treated the BLM Global Network Foundation as his "personal piggy bank" and has acted as a "rogue administrator" and "middle man turned usurper."

The BLM Global Network Foundation represents the national BLM movement and was the entity that received over $90 million in the wake of George Floyd's police killing in the summer of 2020. Bowers is a close associate of BLM co-founder Patrisse Cullors, who resigned from the BLM Global Network Foundation in May 2021 amid scrutiny of her personal real estate purchases.

BLM'S MILLIONS UNACCOUNTED FOR AFTER LEADERS QUIETLY JUMPED SHIP

The lawsuit was announced Thursday at a press conference hosted by BLM-Los Angeles co-founder Melina Abdullah, who accused Bowers of shutting her and other leaders out of social media accounts in March.

Abdullah estimates that the BLM Global Network Foundation's financial accounts hold in the region of $100 million. She accused the board of directors of "engaging in self dealing, enriching themselves off of the backs of people who put their blood, sweat and tears into this movement."

The lawsuit accuses Bowers of leading the foundation "into multiple investigations by the Internal Revenue Service and various state attorney generals, blazing a path of irreparable harm to BLM in less than eighteen months," according to the Los Angeles Times.

The investigations referenced in the lawsuit are a direct result of Washington Examiner reporting earlier this year, which laid bare its shocking lack of financial transparency.

The BLM Global Network Foundation is "like a giant ghost ship full of treasure drifting in the night with no captain, no discernible crew, and no clear direction," CharityWatch Executive Director Laurie Styron previously told the Washington Examiner in January.

BLM CO-FOUNDER: CHARITY TRANSPARENCY LAWS ARE 'TRIGGERING'

The lawsuit adds that the BLM Global Network Foundation has recently been locked out of funds held on its behalf by the Tides Foundation, which served as the charity's fiscal sponsor during the second half of 2020. The BLM Global Network Foundation reported earlier this year that Tides remained in control of over $26 million of BLM's funds as of the end of 2021.

Bowers demanded that Tides relinquish all the funds to the BLM Global Network Foundation in a May 4 email, the lawsuit says. But on June 29, Tides informed the BLM Global Network Foundation that it would pause future distributions from the fund due to the charity's failure to file tax documents on time, as well as questions surrounding its purchase of a $6 million mansion in Los Angeles in October 2020 with donor funds.

Tides has not returned numerous inquiries from the Washington Examiner about the status of its partnership with the BLM Global Network Foundation.

Bowers and the BLM Global Network Foundation denied all claims of financial misconduct, telling the Los Angeles Times in a statement: "They would rather take the same steps of our white oppressors and utilize the criminal legal system which is propped up by white supremacy (the same system they say they want to dismantle) to solve movement disputes."

A statement posted to the homepage of blacklivesmatter.com added that the allegations are "slanderous and devoid of reality."

Bowers is one of three board members of the BLM Global Network Foundation.

Bowers and Cullors were business partners before Bowers was hired to work at the BLM Global Network Foundation in 2020 in a fundraising capacity. He served as treasurer for numerous organizations run by Cullors, including Reform LA Jails and BLM PAC.

The BLM Global Network Foundation's other two board members, Cicley Gay and D'Zhane Parker, also share close ties to Cullors, the Washington Examiner previously reported. Gay and Parker joined the BLM Global Network Foundation Board in April.

Gay's company, the Amplifiers, received $53,000 from Reform LA Jails for consulting services in 2019, campaign filings show.

And Parker earned $20,500 as the lead organizer for Reform LA Jails in 2019, the filings reveal.

Cullors left the BLM Global Network Foundation without a leader after she resigned in May 2021 amid scrutiny of her personal real estate purchases, in particular a $6 million Los Angeles mansion.

Earlier this year, she said she gets triggered whenever she hears the term "IRS Form 990," the document charities are required to file to the public every year disclosing their financial activities.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Bunch of thieves was running BLM, looks like some are still at it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

Looks like it should be BLM, as in Bowers Life Matters...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    2 years ago

Crickets ...... chirp chirrrrring

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    2 years ago

Could not happen to a more deserving group

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Hmm.....I wonder if the right wing, out-of-state agitators infiltrated BLM and stole a bunch of money?

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @4    2 years ago
.I wonder if the right wing agitators infiltrated BLM and stole a bunch of money?

Well, that is the story we get often on here when liberals engage in violent activity, which happens often.

One here makes the claim that it HAD to be outside agitators that are doing the violent acts, but,

Somehow

Has never been able to prove it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @4    2 years ago

They were from out of state too

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2    2 years ago
They were from out of state too

How could I forget?!?

Oops!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

I wonder of those corporations which made donations feel any remorse now?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Shalomyah made me think of Shama Lama Ding Dong, although one is a cheat and the other is a great song,

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

I wonder how many millions of donated dollars BLM has ever given to any victims? If any at all?

We can see the folks in charge lined THEIR own pockets pretty well!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @7    2 years ago
I wonder how many millions of donated dollars BLM has ever given to any victims?

Not really victims, but didn't BLM pay players to cop a knee while on the clock on Sundays?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1    2 years ago
Not really victims, but didn't BLM pay players to cop a knee while on the clock on Sundays?

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @7    2 years ago

Shalomyah Bowers

My guess is his real name is John, or Frank, or Larry, or something like that.

Gotta use something that makes it look like you are down with the "struggle".

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bugsy @7.2    2 years ago

After listening to Shama Lama, I'm going to be in a good mood all day (and Knight)

Shama Lama,
Huh
Rama rama rama ding dong
Baby huh
You put the
Ooh mou mou
Oh oh oh oh
Back into my smile, child

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @7    2 years ago

“I wonder how many millions of donated dollars BLM has ever given to any victims?”

[Deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @7.3    2 years ago
And conversely…does one wonder how many millions of donated dollars have ever gone to trump’s  defense fund?

Exactly, what about...

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.2  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @7.3    2 years ago
does one wonder how many millions of donated dollars have ever gone to trump’s defense fund?

Maybe you can start a seed about it.

Deflecting on another seed is not a good look.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.3.3  afrayedknot  replied to  bugsy @7.3.2    2 years ago

Never took you for a [{deleted}] afraid to address a rather simply offered yet obvious contradiction of thought. Color me wrong. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.4  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @7.3.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.3.5  afrayedknot  replied to  bugsy @7.3.4    2 years ago

That’ll be the day. Enjoy your holiday. Sincerely. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.6  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @7.3.5    2 years ago
That’ll be the day

Guess today is that day.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @7.3    2 years ago

I see you offer nothing but deflection.

Why does Trump live rent free in your head?