╌>

Democratic candidate Vicente Gonzalez claims Mayra Flores, supporters 'stole' Texas special election | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  47 comments

By:   Kyle Morris (Fox News)

Democratic candidate Vicente Gonzalez claims Mayra Flores, supporters 'stole' Texas special election | Fox News
Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, who's seeking re-election to Congress, claimed this week that Rep. Mayra Flores, his GOP challenger, "stole" a special election in the state earlier this year.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Biden said earlier this month that he believes anyone who "refuses to acknowledge an election" is a "threat to democracy."

Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, D-Texas, who's running for re-election to Congress in the midterm elections, claimed during an event attended by House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., that a June special election in Texas was stolen by Rep. Mayra Flores, R-Texas, and her supporters.

The remarks from Gonzalez came during a "vote blue" event at Shotz bar in Brownsville, Texas, on Thursday.

"Our democracy is at stake," Gonzalez claimed. "There's millions and millions of dollars from outside our region and outside our state that are coming here to try to steal our elections and take away your value and take away the process that we rely on, which is elections. And we don't have the resources to compete with these outside resources. We can't compete with the Koch brothers, we can't compete with big oil, and big tobacco, and the NRA. They can outspend us, but they can't outwork us."

Taking aim at Flores, his Republican rival in the race to represent Texas' 34th Congressional District, Gonzalez said the newly elected GOP representative who defeated her Democratic challenger in a special election to represent the redrawn district, "showed up to Congress and voted against keeping our communities safe."

Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, D-Texas, said this week that Rep. Mayra Flores, R-Texas, and her supporters "stole" a Texas special election in June. (Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call/ Getty Images)

"They stole that last election," Gonzalez claimed. "They spent $3 million to our $250,000, they campaigned for two years, and they still only won by less than one percent. So, the way to turn this around is getting out and vote."

Schiff, who serves on the House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol protests, also spoke to Gonzalez's supporters at the event and offered remarks favoring his candidacy in the race.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., a member of the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, speaks with members of the press after a hearing at the Capitol in Washington, Tuesday, June 21, 2022. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

"The work you're doing to support our Democratic institutions, the infrastructure of our elections, the rule of law, the rule of law applies to everyone equally could not be more important," Schiff said. "It's been such a pleasure to meet so many of you and thank you for all you're doing to support my wonderful colleague."

On Friday, Gonzalez shared photos of himself alongside Schiff, including one from the Thursday evening event in Brownsville.

"Thank you to my friend, @RepAdamSchiff, for visiting the #RGV this week," Gonzalez wrote in a tweet. "It's important for those in Washington to know and appreciate what South Texans have to offer and I was thrilled to show him around."

In response to Schiff's visit to the state to campaign for Gonzalez, Flores, the first Mexican-born congresswoman who took office on June 21, concluded the "swamp is protecting one of its own."

"The far left is getting pretty desperate when Adam Schiff is coming down to Texas to save Vicente Gonzalez," she wrote in a tweet. "The swamp is protecting one of its own."

Gonzalez's claim that Flores' special general election victory over Democrat Dan Sanchez earlier this year was stolen comes amid recent rhetoric from President Biden that considers anyone who "refuses to acknowledge an election" to be a "threat to democracy."

Gonzalez will face off against Flores, as well as an independent challenger, in the November 8 general election to represent the Longhorn State's 34th District in the House.

Kyle Morris covers politics for Fox News. On Twitter: @RealKyleMorris.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but haven't liberal Democrats been screeching about not accepting results of elections and the danger in calling them 'stolen'?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

You are correct. Most notable were Hillary Clinton and Stacey Abrams.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    2 years ago
 Most notable were Hillary Clinton and Stacey Abrams.

Um no. Most notable was the fat fuck who refused to concede, incited a riot to try and overturn the election results, and still works to undermine our democratic system. Donald Trump is BY FAR the most notable, and almost only figure in American history,  to not accept election results. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.1.1    2 years ago

There the fuck it is! Not even 3 comments down and a "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" Comment has been made.

Care to explain how anything Trump did excuses Democrats from not accepting election results and repeatedly questioning them?

Democrats are fucking hypocrites running on nothing more than Trump! It is Trump 24/7. No damn accomplishments to run on that is for sure.

Pelosi and the Democrat Party funded MAGA candidates in Michigan and elsewhere to beat moderate Republican candidates. All the while the current Fascist in Chief has been screaming that MAGA Republicans are the biggest threats to society today! So which the fuck is it? If they are such a threat why were Democrats spending millions backing them?

The only thing I am more sick of than Trump is fucking Democrats!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.2    2 years ago
Care to explain how anything Trump did excuses Democrats from not accepting election results and repeatedly questioning them?

The only 'explanation' needed is that it is ok if Democrats do the very same thing they bitch about the GOP doing.

Democrats are fucking hypocrites running on nothing more than Trump! It is Trump 24/7. No damn accomplishments to run on that is for sure.

For sure.

There the fuck it is! Not even 3 comments down and a "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" Comment has been made.

Of course. It happens so damn often now that it isn't even ever a question of IF they will do that shit, but WHEN THEY WILL DO IT.

And like clockwork, the usual people deflect and show the world that their attention span is solely Trump and nothing else.

Damn pitiful way to go through life, but if they insist on letting Trump live rent free 24/7, so be it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

Don't start that shit. Unless you have actual evidence shut the fuck up with the stolen election bullshit.

When someone says the "election was rigged" or "stolen" all I think is they are a sore fucking lose and a total douchebag. We actually have an extremely secure election process in the US, [deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1  bugsy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    2 years ago
so when you claim otherwise you just look like a faggot. 

So would that be a cigarette or a homosexual slur?

Honestly, I agree with the gist of your post, but using that slur will get you in trouble with the liberals on here.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @2.1    2 years ago
So would that be a cigarette or a homosexual slur?

a bundle of wood, obviously. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    2 years ago
a bundle of wood, obviously. 

Hm. never heard that one before.

I know it refers to a single cigarette, but that's about it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @2.1.2    2 years ago
Dictionary
Definitions from   Oxford Languages   ·   Learn more
  1. 2 .
    a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @2.1    2 years ago
Honestly, I agree with the gist of your post

So you feel the same about fat ass Trump? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @2.1    2 years ago
but using that slur will get you in trouble with the liberals on here.

Only a few liberals here will try to call me out. And that is because I am the most vocal and vulgar among them and the recognize the the value of a person like me. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.6  MonsterMash  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.3    2 years ago
Liberal Dictionary
FAG 1.1.
Well-adjusted liberal male sexually attracted to other males.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.5    2 years ago
the recognize the the value of a person like me. 

Who wouldn't?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    2 years ago
When someone says the "election was rigged" or "stolen" all I think is they are a sore fucking lose and a total douchebag. We actually have an extremely secure election process in the US

Then that perfectly illustrates the stupidity of Democrats who claim that elections aren't secure and tell us that an election was stolen.

Perhaps you should vent to the dumbass liberal Democrat crying.

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    2 years ago

"The far left is getting pretty desperate when Adam Schiff is coming down to Texas to save Vicente Gonzalez," she wrote in a tweet. "The swamp is protecting one of its own."

Ha.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  squiggy @3    2 years ago

Vicente Gonzalez, just another liberal Dem sore loser. Personally, if Adam "Shifty" Schiff is trying to help, Gonzalez definitely has a problem.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JBB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1    2 years ago

No, Gonzales is a current member of Congress. He and Flores are only running against each other because of gop redistricting and gerrymandering.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    2 years ago
No, Gonzales is a current member of Congress. He and Flores are only running against each other because of gop redistricting and gerrymandering.

Redistricting is required by law. The GOP won more elections in Texas and control the state, so of course the GOP draws the districts. Just like Democrats draw them in states they control.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    2 years ago

Looking like Gonzales will whoop Flores in November!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago

Real Clear Politics only has him up by 4

That's within the margin of error

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    2 years ago

Again, looks like Gonzales will win in November!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    2 years ago

As John Imbriale might say: "Too close to call!"

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago

One would think as it’s been a Dem seat for decades.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago
Looking like Gonzales will whoop Flores in November!

I remember when it looked like Hillary was going to win easily, too.

Don't you?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @4.3    2 years ago

The crickets are loud on that one...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.3.1    2 years ago
The crickets are loud on that one...

Well, there is always the go-to "But TRUMP!!!!!!" bullshit for the losers to dole out.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 years ago
"They stole that last election," Gonzalez claimed. "They spent $3 million to our $250,000, they campaigned for two years, and they still only won by less than one percent. So, the way to turn this around is getting out and vote."

It doesn’t look like he was using the word “stole” the same way that say, Trump uses it. He’s simply saying the opposition outspent them - like it was an election they could have won, but because of an extraordinary effort by the other side, he lost. I see no suggestion of illegal activity.

It looks like someone is trying to show some equivalency - and by extension hypocrisy - but they are ignoring the content and context of the actual statement.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 years ago

Sorry, but in no way does being outspent equate with an election being 'stolen'.

If he meant something else, he should have said it.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago
Sorry, but in no way does being outspent equate with an election being 'stolen'.

Yeah I think that's reasonable.

If he meant something else, he should have said it.

You have to deliberately ignore everything else he said to think he meant "stolen" in the same way Trump does. Is this guy seeking justice in court for money wrongfully spent? This seed doesn't seem to mention such a thing.

Seriously, people use the word "stole" in different ways. We talk about sport teams "stealing a win" at the buzzer but it doesn't mean we are accusing them of breaking the rules.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    2 years ago

No, Gonzalez is a US Congressman from Texas. Only due to Texas style gerrymandering were his and Flores districts comingled into one very very very Hispanic district. Now the Hispanic Congresswoman the gop has been crowing about is probably going to lose to the Democrat on November 8th...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    2 years ago
Only due to Texas style gerrymandering were his and Flores districts comingled into one very very very Hispanic district.

What's the deal with NY style gerrymandering and AOC's 14th District?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.3    2 years ago

AOC's district is about 35% Hispanic yet the district Gonzalez and Flores are competing for was gerrymandered to 82%, if I remember correctly. I am sure you will check my numbers...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.4    2 years ago
AOC's district is about 35% Hispanic

Is that after redistricting, it used to be about 50% Hispanic and 74% without a college degree?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    2 years ago
No, Gonzalez is a US Congressman from Texas. Only due to Texas style gerrymandering were his and Flores districts comingled into one very very very Hispanic district. Now the Hispanic Congresswoman the gop has been crowing about is probably going to lose to the Democrat on November 8th...

Decided this needed fact checking.

Seems like the district was formed after the 2010 Census. A Democrat won it and a Democrat held it until he resigned to become a lobbyist. Flores won a special election to replace him.

• 83.96% urban[1]
  • 16.04% rural
Population (2019) 712,596[2]
Median household
income
$42,092[2]
Ethnicity
Cook PVI D+5[3]

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.7  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.6    2 years ago

Sigh! Then exactly how do you explain two current Hispanic congresspersons now running for the same seat? How did a district that last November was only 62% Hispanic suddenly become 84.5% Hispanic? How does any congressional district get to be 85% Hispanic without extreme gerrymandering?

The district lines were just redrawn by the Texas legislature!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.7    2 years ago
How does any congressional district get to be 85% Hispanic without extreme gerrymandering?

The same way any congressional district gets to be 85% black or white or Hispanic?

Or are districts that are 85% one type all extreme gerrymandered?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.9  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.8    2 years ago

Yes, any Congressional district that is 85% Hispanic or Black is an example of extreme racial gerrymandering. But, that is not so for majority white districts because whites are the dominant majority in all of America. Sheesh!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.9    2 years ago

There are four Congressional districts in CA that are 70% or greater Hispanic - gerrymandering?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.11  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.10    2 years ago

Yes, 70% is gerrymandering, but not of the "Extreme Texas Style" that reaches to 85%...

Nothing you and Tex has come up with alters or negates the facts I stated above. Nothing!

Yours are ridiculous arguments for argument sake. You make my points better than I did...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.11    2 years ago
Yours are ridiculous arguments for argument sake. You make my points better than I did...

I’ve made no argument, what do you think confused you?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.13  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.12    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.13    2 years ago

My comments in 5.1.5, 5.1.10 and 5.1.12 aren't trolling in any way.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.15  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.14    2 years ago

original

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.15    2 years ago
I will light a candle for you.

Looks like 5.  You have unusual items laying around your apartment.

Are you trolling me?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    2 years ago
President Biden said earlier this month that he believes anyone who "refuses to acknowledge an election" is a "threat to democracy."

Wait ... what? Does Biden not remember what Democrats did when he was the president of the Senate? Here's a reminder for him:

And never forget that Democrats challenged the electoral votes of the last 3 Republicans who won presidential elections ... 2000, 2004, and 2016.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @6    2 years ago

If it's a Democrat making the allegations, then they are to be taken as absolute fact and should be investigated (you know, like what happened in 2016).  If a Republican does it, it's the "big lie" and the person making the allegations should be committed..