╌>

How Has 'Better Call Saul' Still Never Won an Emmy?

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  revillug  •  2 years ago  •  53 comments

By:   Allegra Frank (The Daily Beast)

How Has 'Better Call Saul' Still Never Won an Emmy?
The Emmy Awards purport to reward the best of television. Why, then, has it still never given a major trophy to "Better Call Saul"? Get your act together, TV Academy.

as the Emmys continue to exist, it will continue to be outrageous that   Better Call Saul   doesn’t have any. To the general public, an award count telegraphs quality—or at least some semblance of a recommendation. Whether this is wrong-headed or not (it is!), it’s hard to shake these ingrained ideas about   the significance of awards . Nothing can undo the impact   Better Call Saul   had on those of us who loved it. It will stand the test of time in ways that I question whether Emmy-winning shows   like   Ted Lasso   will. Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould can sleep easy at night, knowing they have two back-to-back television masterworks in the bag.

That said: If   Better Call Saul   doesn’t clean up at next year’s Emmys for its swan song, I’m gonna throw hands.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BREAKING BAD

The Emmy Awards purport to reward the best of television. Why, then, has it still never given a major trophy to "Better Call Saul"? Get your act together, TV Academy.

Allegra Frank

Deputy Entertainment Editor

Updated Sep. 13, 2022 3:45PM ET / Published Sep. 13, 2022 3:08PM ET

Greg Lewis/AMC/Sony Pictures Television

Better Call Saul wrapped its impeccable run last month—just in time for award season excitement to start ramping up. Thanks to AMC's system-gaming release schedule (It's one season, but in two halves! More Emmy awards, please!), Better Call Saul's sixth and final season not only qualified for Monday's Emmy Award show, but it will also compete at the 2023 ceremony.

But if the Television Academy's voting patterns hold, the drama series will again walk home empty-handed next year. Better Call Saul has received 46 Primetime Emmy nominations since it premiered in 2015. Wins thus far: Two, for little-seen "short-form" content.

It's a baffling track record and a searing reminder of how out-of-step Emmy voters often are. A spinoff of one of the most highly regarded series of the century, Better Call Saul has garnered high praise throughout its run. Its two-part sixth season, the first half of which received nominations for this year's award show, received nearly universal praise. Yet none of the critical love (and viewership numbers!) has translated into recognition from TV's self-styled barometer of good taste.

The Television Academy has rarely ever actually been a tastemaker, of course, especially in this bloated content hell. But Better Call Saul is the rare show whose pedigree, consistency, and popularity should naturally translate to winning some hardware. Combined with the sheen that comes with a beloved series reaching its conclusion, the show should have walked away with a few trophies Monday night.

Nope! Better Call Saul lost in each category it was nominated for at this year's ceremony. Squid Game and Succession yucked its yum—the former being an exciting usurper, at least. Netflix's propulsive, incredibly well-crafted, Korean-language hit made history with its wins. But while Succession's win isn't unsurprising, it sure is boring; the HBO dramedy had a stellar third season, by many accounts (I don't watch it and don't want to, leave me alone about it!), but it won Outstanding Drama Series last year too.

How many times has Better Call Saul been nominated for that award? Five. How many times has it won? You guessed it! Zip. Bob Odenkirk, a man who literally suffered a heart attack while filming the first half of Season 6, has also received a grand total of zero Emmys. Odenkirk nearly died working on the show, yet voters still shrugged their shoulders at him. Same goes for Rhea Seehorn, who somehow only received her first nomination for her entrancing performance.

In contrast, Breaking Bad was nominated 58 times over its five seasons, winning 16 awards. Both parts of its final season won Outstanding Drama Series awards, while Bryan Cranston won four Lead Actor trophies. Supporting stars Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn also won three and two times, respectively, and Breaking Bad picked up craft and writing wins too. All of these were well-deserved; frankly, the show went undersung in the writing and directing categories. But with many fans hailing the more methodical Better Call Saul as even better than its high-octane old man, its 16 fewer wins looks even more shocking.

It's not that something as thrilling, visually dynamic, and emotionally arresting as Better Call Saul needs external validation. It's misguided to think that a voting body with opaque deliberation processes and a thirst for For Your Consideration campaigns can define what is good or what is not good.

Yet as long as the Emmys continue to exist, it will continue to be outrageous that Better Call Saul doesn't have any. To the general public, an award count telegraphs quality—or at least some semblance of a recommendation. Whether this is wrong-headed or not (it is!), it's hard to shake these ingrained ideas about the significance of awards. Nothing can undo the impact Better Call Saul had on those of us who loved it. It will stand the test of time in ways that I question whether Emmy-winning shows like Ted Lassowill. Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould can sleep easy at night, knowing they have two back-to-back television masterworks in the bag.

That said: If Better Call Saul doesn't clean up at next year's Emmys for its swan song, I'm gonna throw hands.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1  seeder  Revillug    2 years ago

Better Call Saul is one of the best TV series of all time. It ranks with Sopranos, and Breaking Bad. Not sure how to compare it with Game of Thrones, but to be honest, I thought GOT was way overrated.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

I haven't seen season 6 yet, but I've enjoyed the violence in the previous 5 seasons.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

You twisted fuck.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2  CB  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

Here is what's rather 'funny' to me: I have never watched "Better Call Saul"—not one episode. However, I watched all 61 episodes of "Breaking Bad" in a single Netflix marathon weekend. "H" of a story-line ("Breaking Bad") and I finally got to see what all the Emmy winning for the show was pointing out!  That show gave validity to the Emmy Awards for me. (I don't watch awards shows since way back to far to remember.)

So now I am conflicted! Has the Emmy's missed something worthy in "Better Call Saul"?  Or, does that show not measure up to the quality of acting, storyline, and character traits portrayed in "Breaking Bad"?

My interest is pigued! I will watch the first two episodes of "Better Call Saul" on Netflix and let's see what happens (to me)!

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @1.2    2 years ago

Honestly, I think Better Call Saul is one of those shows that is better watched in a marathon on Netflix than stretching out the experience over a number of years. The story telling is dense, like in a novel, and the understanding of human psychology in the characters is every bit as deep as it was in Breaking Bad. It may even be a better in that last regard.

If you do decide to watch Better Call Saul, I'll bet that you are hooked after the first episode.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.2  CB  replied to  Revillug @1.2.1    2 years ago

I 'cracked' it open on Netflix last night: Opening scene at Cinnabon factory. . . lights come up; people rolling and crafting 'tasties'; camera close up of man with glasses. . . pause. "Cut!"

Promising.

I will go back in sometime today and take it from there!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.3  CB  replied to  Revillug @1.2.1    2 years ago

Okay, "Better Call Saul". . . desperate, impoverished, "ambulance-chaser," desert-scene, no first-episode death (but got my attention). I've watched two episodes so far: the man is. . . poor. But, I'd bet there is some more quick thinking coming up-eh? Pretty sure, with all the talk about emmy  'material.' Loved the "abuelita" scenes: Too precious!

What's the deal with the cellphone grounding and space blankets? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  CB @1.2.3    2 years ago

The best way to watch this is with the question:  'what will Jimmy do next?'.   You will never guess correctly.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.5  CB  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.4    2 years ago

What Will JIMMY DO Иext??  Got it!  (I mean this guy is operating off the grid like nobody's business literally. He is 'camping' in his home!!!)

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2.6  seeder  Revillug  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.4    2 years ago

It reminds of the Sopranos in that regard. Whenever you thought that maybe Tony had an epiphany and is going to do something a normal person would do, Tony had a uniquely criminal take on the situation before him.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    2 years ago

I agree, it is an amazing series.   The characters are great, the storylines are exciting and work well together.  Just a well done series in every dimension.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
2.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 years ago

It explored two themes in depth (1) the personality of a sociopath (2) the notion that the law is an ideal in and of itself whether or not the lawyers who practice it have human failings.

There are a lot of people who say Better Call Saul turned out to be a better series than Breaking Bad.

They were both really good. I don't want to claim to have a favorite child. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 years ago
I agree, it is an amazing series.   The characters are great, the storylines are exciting and work well together.  Just a well done series in every dimension.

That + Bob Odenkirk = genius. Better Call Saul, IMHO, is the best prequel series ever made. And Michael McKean and Jonathan Banks are just icing on the genius cake.

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.1  CB  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2    2 years ago

Jonathan Banks is my 'choice' for an emmy. 'Jimmy'- 'Saul' kind of grated on me. And I just didn't quite get 'Kim Wexler' character (often).

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

I loved the show, but it’s a little weird when characters are noticeably older in a prequel than their future characters.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    2 years ago

This show definitely makes one feel something guttural for its characters. I am on Season 1 Episode Nine and at opening Jimmy and Chuck are—on a public bench. Stop right there. It's great television right there. :)  I'm in for the distance now. Just taking it all in in bite-sized proportions. Further thoughts to come.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Probably because there are like 4,000,000 television shows

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    2 years ago

Finally. . . I have finished it: Better Call Saul .   Very interesting feature. Why has it not won an Emmy award:

emmy-infographic-2022-v4-840x8300.jpg

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @7    2 years ago

You watched it all the way to the end of season 6?

I think it is one of the best series I have ever watched, right up there with Sopranos and Breaking Bad. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  CB  replied to  Revillug @7.1    2 years ago

Breaking Bad was the 'hit! For Sure. I could get 'lost' in the characters. In Better Call Saul that never really 'lost' me, but I did have some trouble locking the characters down. What about you? Not a problem I take it?

Breaking Bad, don't take this the wrong way-had elements in a positive-familiar way of every white male I have ever known for any length of time-personality-wise. I could not help but smile through the 'brilliance' and continuity of the plot episode to episode.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.2  CB  replied to  Revillug @7.1    2 years ago

Netflix does not have up Season 6 (yet?). I may try to see it elsewhere. Lalo is about to throw-down at the end of Season 5! His character is 'rich' in content.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.1.3  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @7.1.1    2 years ago

I watched seasons 1-5 of Better Call Saul twice. The reason for this is that the time between seasons was often quite a long time and story lines began to fade. What I realized the second time through the seasons was that they had to the arcs for these characters planned from the start. Some of the clues about their personalities got past me the first time around.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.4  CB  replied to  Revillug @7.1.3    2 years ago

I might know what you mean, because the characters are true to form throughout the show. To be clear, I found them interesting and off-kilter. For instance, "Nacho" is a 'hot mess' for a thug-rising in the "game."

"Michael" (the sniper in the desert) is 'off.'  He is my favorite performer in this production. Many 'pregnant pauses' in his personality.

The "recognizable" character for me: Lalo. The character follows a pattern for a cartel member. So much so that I feel he ended Season 5 with a perfect cliff-hanger. (I really want to see Season 6!)

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.1.5  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @7.1.4    2 years ago

Lalo was definitely one of my favorite characters.

The thing about Nacho is that he is an incredibly intelligent man, every bit as smart as Lalo. You just never know where a person that smart is going to show up in this world. He's a tragic waste of human potential.

Lalo, on the other hand, is pure sociopath.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.1.6  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @7.1.4    2 years ago
(I really want to see Season 6!)

Treat yourself to the season on Amazon.

Either buy the episodes one at a time or splurge for the season.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.7  CB  replied to  Revillug @7.1.6    2 years ago

Amazon Prime? I have the subscription on pause (because Prime frustrates me). Further I keep Prime for 'special' services I do; but I will have to decide if this will be special enough for me to "unpause" and pay up! :)

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    2 years ago

I have a recommendation for a different lawyer series on Netflix: How To Get Away With Murder.

It has won Emmy awards. I daresay it is a 'whole' story -though weird as all 'get out' and will make you look at lawyers differently. For real!

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    2 years ago

I would love to know what happens with Better Call Saul  Lalo after Season Five! But, has this show ended for good?

Revillug
Freshman Participates
9.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @9    2 years ago

The show has ended for good. If you want to watch Season 6 you may have to purchase the season on Amazon. It's not even kicking around AMC+ anymore.

I think they gave the series a pretty good ending.

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.1  CB  replied to  Revillug @9.1    2 years ago

Hmm. Thanks for informing me about this. I will keep an eye on it. Netflix stops at Season 5 (ten episodes). I wonder why that is (for Netflix); licensing issue?)

Revillug
Freshman Participates
9.1.2  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @9.1.1    2 years ago

It was an AMC series.

The whole streaming and cable channel industry has gotten pretty strange pretty quickly. Streaming channels you would expect to be showing movies, like AMC and IFC show an awful lot of reruns of crappy TV shows like Two and a Half Men. Movies and original content not so much.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
10  Nowhere Man    2 years ago

Maybe if it was a better show... Personally I love Breaking Bad... one of the best shows ever produced...

Better call....

Doesn't even come close...

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Nowhere Man @10    2 years ago

Some people think it was better.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.1  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1    2 years ago

"Jimmy" was a straight-up law hustler—everything in the 'end' (through Season 5 anyway) that "Chuck" said about him. :)

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1.2  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @10.1.1    2 years ago

I think the way the story was told you were supposed to discover the characters in layers that revealed themselves, somewhat like the way people in our real lives reveal themselves to us.

First we encounter someone's persona. That is, we encounter the presentation of a person's self in everyday life. We encounter the story of themselves that they wish us to believe. Maybe next we start to get an idea of the story about themselves that they tell to themselves. At some point we have a theory about what is really making that person tick.

I realized upon a second watching of seasons 1-5 that I first understood the characters in superficial terms. Upon a second watching I saw things that I simply missed or did not yet appreciate yet. I mean, I started out wanting to like Jimmy and hate Howard. Boy did I have that one backward.

I get the feeling you might be a lawyer. (I'm not.) Better Call Saul had something to say about the law as an ideal vs the law as a tool for taking advantage of people. It also had a lot of contrasts between people with human failings vs sociopaths. 

We've probably all had a sociopath in our lives that we wish we never met. 

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.3  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1.2    2 years ago

I am not a lawyer, period. I can not take 'away' anything from those who serve in this (noble) profession.

The most revealing and disturbing moment in the odyssey for me was when Jimmy stupidly 'hurt' the senior citizens by his unguarded mic moment. That was brutal and sociopathic. The script writers callously disregarded it without any play to angst.

The treatment of the senior citizens left hanging. . . kind of crystalized for me the storyline for me. It was if the scripting and story was being told in a detached fashion. That is, what was 'anchoring' Jimmy's life?

What does Jimmy stand for?

Even Tuco's character disappearance (without ceremony) was 'rushed' as we did not really get to know why he was necessary anyway to be there.

Two "housekeeping" matters:

1. Hector's nursing home scene reminds me of the nursing home resident (with the bell) in Breaking Bad.

2. Is it possible Better Call Saul is set before Breaking Bad?

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1.4  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @10.1.3    2 years ago
Is it possible Better Call Saul is set before Breaking Bad ?

Oh, it is explicitly set before Breaking Bad. 

Except for those, mostly brief, scenes set in the future where Saul Goodman is now living under a false identity. If you remember, Breaking Bad ends with Saul making expensive arrangements to go into hiding.

I have seen it mentioned that it is confusing to watch a prequel where the actors are so obviously older than they were in the original series.

Hector's nursing home scene reminds me of the nursing home resident (with the bell) in  Breaking Bad .

Yes - that's the same character. We are being shown how he wound up in the chair and why Gustavo Fring hates Hector and mentally abuses him.

I think I need to watch Breaking Bad again. Enough time has passed and I have forgotten a lot of the story lines.

There are a couple of wiki pages for these series that are pretty good. 

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.5  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1.4    2 years ago

Very good. And I probably should watch Breaking Bad (BD) (again); boy oh boy, that was interesting to watch - "good to the last drop," — but.  I literally scared myself the first time I watched a marathon set-down of BD as I could not 'break' away from it until its last episode. Nothing else broke my gaze or distracted me for the entirety of a weekend of BD

Also, I have mentioned this before, though I certainly agree and recognize that people who 'repeat' watch a movie get more out of it, it is my 'norm' to not do that. And, now 61 episodes (repeating)—I am frightened what may come of me!!  jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

But, yes, I want to do it. Breaking Bad is just that kind of show.

BTW, thank you for the clarification on Better Call Saul as being a prequel to BD . (That alone, is an incentive to repeat BD .)

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1.6  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @10.1.5    2 years ago
I am frightened what may come of me!! 

When I binge watch a show I often find myself dreaming about the show at night. Depending on the show this might be a very undesirable effect.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.7  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1.6    2 years ago

I 'feel' ya! I don't know if I dream about the show, but I do go to sleep and wake up thinking about it at every 'turn.'

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1.8  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @10.1.7    2 years ago

Definitely. I wake up constantly thinking about what will happen next as if the crisis in the show is the central crisis in my life.

Makes you wonder about our relationship to media.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.9  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1.8    2 years ago

Some shows are intense that way, for sure! ;) There are a multiplicity of life-lessons in a really credible movie or episode series.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1.10  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @10.1.9    2 years ago

But sometimes the experience is unpleasant and I wonder if it is unhealthy.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.11  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1.10    2 years ago

Yes! One can get caught up in a storyline character and go out into the real world carrying on that way. Years ago: Dallas caused societal changes as some people attempted to live the 'tycoon' reality of using other people's money to make make money. It was a scam, though. As they did not possess the tools to ever pay it back!  So yes, a strong character can be unhealthy if it teaches (informs) about wrong behaviors.  Breaking Bad had a great many life lessons in it, too.

How To Get Away With Murder, strong emmy-winning series, may give you life lessons that change how you see lawyers and the practice of law.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
10.1.12  seeder  Revillug  replied to  CB @10.1.11    2 years ago
How To Get Away With Murder,

I started trying to watch that with my wife but the first episode or two seemed too silly. Perhaps we needed to give it a little more time.

We really liked Inventing Anna, though. That was also a Shonda Rhimes endeavor.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1.13  CB  replied to  Revillug @10.1.12    2 years ago

Okay, yeah. I totally forgot about the 'gay' emphasis in the first two shows (that one line about ". . .made my eyes water". . . literally gave me pause as I could not believe it "the gay" came in so early. But I persisted past the opening moment and the story and characters deepen considerably. I won't tell you any of the shockers! It is a helluva tragic series. It does get better and deepens. Did I say the lead won emmys, plural,  for her role? Yes, multiple. Talk about trying to leave a legacy in television!

BTW, interesting that you 'clocked' the Shonda Rhimes fact! It was 'central' to several discussions I had in the real world about the show. I was impressed. I think you will be too. CAUTION!  It is substantive, twisty, vicious, and has something for everybody! You will never guess why the title is "How To Get Away With Murder."

Inventing Anna, is the 'hit too! Loved it. BTW, I saw on CNN that the real-life Anna Sorokin has been released from jail and is going to do an interview with Jake Tapper this week (I think).

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nowhere Man @10    2 years ago

False.

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    2 years ago

Now! To the heart of the matter: Which moment and time did you conceive idea that "Better Call Saul" is emmy worthy?  What season, seasons, episode, episode? Who would be the recipient choice for your emmy?

Note: My choice: Michael. Actor: Jonathan Banks. Those 'pregnant pauses' facial moments of his throughout are memorable!

Albeit, I have not unpaused "Prime" to see Season 6 yet!

CB
Professor Principal
12  CB    2 years ago

Okay. One more that is the 'hit: Netflix's  YOU.  See it, yet? I don't mean to get ahead or be pushy, but that one word simple title is 'dangerously good'!

CB
Professor Principal
13  CB    last year

Better Call Saul (Season 6) is on Netflix (now) and I am 'bout to watch the first episode! ;)

CB
Professor Principal
14  CB    last year

Just finished watching Better Call Saul.  Wow. I don't know what to make of Season 6.  The story-line shocks me in a myriad of ways, but I should mention that I did get lost in the storytelling once it departed from the first five seasons! I wonder if that threw off the (Emmy) committee.