╌>

Biden campaigns for Kathy Hochul in last-ditch effort to stave off Lee Zeldin's push for NY gov

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (New York Post)

Biden campaigns for Kathy Hochul in last-ditch effort to stave off Lee Zeldin's push for NY gov
President Biden joined Gov. Kathy Hochul in Yonkers on Sunday in a last-ditch effort to help her try to stave off GOP challenger Lee Zeldin.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Biden repeatedly said "no more drilling" and tripped onstage when he joined Gov. Kathy Hochul in Yonkers on Sunday in a last-ditch effort to help her try to stave off GOP challenger Lee Zeldin.

Biden, who hasn't been doing much midterm campaigning, was among other Democratic heavyweights who have tried to come to Hochul's rescue in the past week as Zeldin catches up to her in polls.

"No more drilling," Biden snapped at a climate protester who was heckling him.

"There is no more drilling. I haven't formed any new drilling," Biden said.

A confused-sounding Biden tried to assuage the protester and return to his speech.

Biden and Hochul appeared at Sarah Lawrence College in a rally attended by hundreds, where Biden at one point stumbled on the stage and appeared to lose his footing.

President Biden is greeted by New York Gov. Kathy Hochul after getting off Air Force One in White Plains, New York, on Nov. 6, 2022. AFP via Getty Images

"Whoops," he said as he recovered his stance.

The 79-year-old Biden regained his footing unlike in June when he fell off his bike, or when he stumbled while walking up the stairs to Air Force One last year.

"New York, you got two days, two days to make sure the rest of your state knows the good that they've got in Kathy Hochul," Biden said.

Biden nearly collapses after stumbling on stage during his speech while joining Gov. Kathy Hochul in Yonkers on Nov. 6, 2022.C-SPANAnother angle shows President Biden stumbling and losing his footing on the stage on Nov. 6, 2022, in Yonkers, New York.C-SPAN

The president brought up Zeldin's tenure as a congressman, slamming the Republican for voting against the Democratic agenda, including Biden's Inflation Reduction Act.

"It's going to reduce the cost of everything that New Yorkers pay for every month," Biden said of the act. "You know, Congressman Zeldin voted against that as well."

He also said Zeldin won't keep New Yorkers safe because he won't take guns off the street and has historically sided with the NRA.

Previous1 of 2Next President Biden and Gov. Hochul wave to the crowd at Sarah Lawrence. AP College student Vivian Lipson holds a bra with Joe Biden written on it. AFP via Getty Images

"[Hochul's] opponent's plan for public safety is to put more guns on the street," Biden said. "He opposed red flag laws which would have taken guns out of the hands of people who pose a danger to themselves and others. Look, what kind of sense does that make?"

The president also slammed Republicans' "trickle-down economics" and blamed former President Donald Trump for the slumping economy.

"I said from the beginning my objective when I ran was to build an economy from the bottom up and the middle out, and I tell you what, it's a fundamental shift and it's working compared to the MAGA-mega Republican trickle-down economics," he said. "You saw what happened last time under my predecessor — the economy, he left it in ruins."

President Biden is lending a hand to Gov. Kathy Hochul's struggling campaign. Douglas Healey

The 79-year-old also misgendered the German chancellor as he shared an anecdote about the G7 leaders' summit in the United Kingdom, referring to Olaf Scholz as "she."

"I think it was Scholz of Germany, but I can't remember for certain. One of them said to me, she said, Mr. President, what would you think if you went to bed tonight here in England at this meeting, and woke up and found out a mob of 1,000 people broke down the doors in the British Parliament, went down the halls, ended up killing two police officers and injuring scores of people to stop the outcome of election? What would you think?" Biden said.

The president may have been referring to former Chancellor Angela Merkel, who attended the G7 summit in Cornwall, England, in 2021. Scholz hosted this year's summit in Germany.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul and her husband, William J. Hochul Jr., after meeting President Biden at Westchester County Airport in New York on Sunday.AP

Biden's long-winded story was interrupted when he spotted someone who had fainted in the audience and called out for medical help from the stage.

"Someone fainted," he informed the crowd. He then instructed those around the person to raise their hands so the medical staff could see where to go.

Medics assisted the person and received cheers after the president assured the crowd the person was being taken care of.

President Biden points to the crowd and smiles with Gov. Kathy Hochul on November 6, 2022, in Yonkers, New York.Getty Images

US Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), who is also up for re-election, told the rally's attendees before the president went on that Hochul "worries about results, not the headlines.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

He said it loud and clear: "no more drilling" before he tripped over his own feet.  Are there still progressives that want to deny what Biden is doing to the American energy sector?

I'm so glad that Kathy Hochul brought him to Yonkers. That ought to bring out even more votes for Zeldin!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

How are oil and gas companies supposed to increase production when Brandon is stating this crap?

He likes talking out of both sides. Hard to tell which is his head and which is his ass these days.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 years ago
How are oil and gas companies supposed to increase production when Brandon is stating this crap?

Nobody is going to make a major investment in oil now.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
"no more drilling"

Yet some of these people demand links - to the obvious. Take the engines out of their vehicles and pull the meters off their houses.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  squiggy @1.2    2 years ago

They kept telling us that Biden didn't do anything to diminish oil production.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

It says all you need to know about the state of the races when a Democratic President has to spend time in New York immediately before election day trying to save a Democratic Governor. In New York. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago

He's trying to save an acting Governor, who right up until the day before the election has yet to face up to the crime problem in NYC.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

And Joe was up to his usual nonsense.

He claimed:

“No more drilling. There is no more drilling,” and “I haven't formed any new drilling. No.”

This came after he gave a speech in California vowing to shut down coal mines across America in favor of more sustainable wind farms and solar plants.

Thus far, I have been unable to find where or when the WH has walked back or Joe-Splained what he really meant,

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    2 years ago

If thry haven't done it the day before the election, they never will!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 years ago

Excellent!    

That just might be the trick to push Zeldin over the top to a win

Thx Joe!

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4  Revillug    2 years ago

It's pretty obvious at this point that Biden has some hearing difficulties.

I will make no bones about it. I think he has been a good if not great president.

To accomplish what he has with multiple simultaneous crises and such a dysfunctional congress with such slim ( or non) majorities, is quite impressive.

The senior moments? They'e been instructive for me with regard to how a human being can at an advanced age both simultaneously exhibit such moments yet still be a wise and essential leader.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Revillug @4    2 years ago
It's pretty obvious at this point that Biden has some hearing difficulties.

Memory issues as well:

“Folks, I spent a lot of time — more time with Xi Jinping than any other head of state. … I’ve traveled 17,000 miles with him.

“Today, the most common price of gas in America is $3.39 — down from over $5 when I took office.”

“On my watch, for the first time in 10 years, seniors are getting an increase in their Social Security checks.”

“You are probably aware that I just signed a law that is being challenged by my Republican colleagues. … What we’ve provided for is, if you went to school, if you qualified for a Pell Grant … you qualify for $20,000 in debt forgiveness. Secondly, if you don’t have one of those loans, you just get $10,000 written off. It’s passed. I got it passed by a vote or two.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Revillug @4    2 years ago
I think he has been a good if not great president.

I'm sure Bill Ayers and Angela Davis would agree.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.3  Sparty On  replied to  Revillug @4    2 years ago
I will make no bones about it. I think he has been a good if not great president.

Opinions do vary ..... greatly in this case.

squiggy
Junior Silent
5  squiggy    2 years ago

Well how did she get to be governor? Oh yea, another one.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  squiggy @5    2 years ago

That was when the elected Governor had to step down or be held accountable for a lot of dead seniors or some sex complaints. People were hoping she might be a moderate.