╌>

World Cup: U.S. defeats Iran on Christian Pulisic goal to advance

Category:  Sports

Via:  tig  •  2 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   Kevin Baxter (Los Angeles Times)

World Cup: U.S. defeats Iran on Christian Pulisic goal to advance
The United States defeated Iran on a goal by Christian Pulisic to advance to the round of 16 at the World Cup. The U.S. will face the Netherlands on Saturday.

Just had to win this one!!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S. survives chaotic finish to defeat Iran and advance at World Cup

U.S. players (from left) Sean Johnson, Aaron Long and Yunus Musah celebrate after defeating Iran on Tuesday. (Ashley Landis / Associated Press)

AL THUMAMA, Qatar — Needing a victory to advance the final 16 of the World Cup, the U.S. took care of business Tuesday, edging Iran 1-0 on a Christian Pulisic goal late in the first half.

With the win the unbeaten U.S. (1-0-2) finished second to England in its group and will meet Group A champion the Netherlands in the Round of 16 on Saturday. Iran, meanwhile, goes home short of the knockout stages for the sixth time in an many visits to the World Cup.

But the Iranians didn't make it easy on the Americans battling to the final minute of stoppage time that left the U.S. win in jeopardy until the final whistle. The U.S. weathered two prime scoring opportunities by the Iranians in a chaotic finish to punch their ticket to the next round.

The only goal the U.S. needed came in the 38th minute when Pulisic got a half-step on Iranian defenders Majid Hosseini and Ramin Rezaeian, allowing him to redirect a headed cross from Sergino Dest into the net from inside the six-yard box.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    2 years ago

Woo Hoo!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 years ago

I wonder what the trip home is going to bring them.................

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    2 years ago

Failure is not an option.   It must be a living hell to be stuck in an authoritarian theocracy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    2 years ago

I'm so glad the US won. Feel bad for the Iranians, tho

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    2 years ago

I read earlier that they were more than likely in deep shit because they didn't sing the national anthem prior to their defeat at the hands of England.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    2 years ago

So much for the Iranian government trying to get the American team booted from the games.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.3    2 years ago

Yeah, I saw that on the news. I don't blame the team for taking a stand but I worry for their safety

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I'm glad we won. Its still too boring to watch for two hours though. I checked in on it here and there. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

US has only scored two goals in three games. They will probably get their clock cleaned by Netherlands, but I'll hope for a miracle. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

Gonna hope otherwise.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    2 years ago

Me, too. That Christian guy used to play for Manchester United, didn't he? And I understand they are really good team

evilone
Professor Guide
4  evilone    2 years ago

Awesome! I keep forgetting match times. I'll have to set a reminder when they play the Netherlands.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

The real story here is what the Iranian team faces when thjey get back to Iran. They refused to sing their country's national anthem on Monday.

We shall see.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
5.1  bccrane  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    2 years ago

They refused to sing their country's national anthem on Monday.

There could be some logic behind that move, not sing the anthem and face punishment when going home giving the added incentive to do your best to win the world cup and go back heroes and what happened on Monday would be forgotten.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

Iran defeated by a goal from a guy named Christian.  That’s gotta sting.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    2 years ago

Oh, the irony!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7  Just Jim NC TttH    2 years ago

Well this guy wasn't even on the team and made the mistake of celebrating for the wrong team.

A death occurred in Iran reportedly after a fan celebrated the nation’s loss from the World Cup . Iran lost to the United States men’s national team on Tuesday. The victory for the Americans meant that they would qualify for the knockout round of the tournament. Mehran Sammak, 27, was supposedly killed in his car after honking for joy following the match. German lawyer Niema Movassat tweeted a photo of Sammak along with a message claiming that he was assassinated by regime militias.