╌>

Fact Check: White House's Misleading Claim Biden Has Been to the Southern Border

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  77 comments

By:   Julio Rosas (townhall. com)

Fact Check: White House's Misleading Claim Biden Has Been to the Southern Border

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre claimed during Wednesday's press briefing President Joe Biden has been to the U.S.-Mexico border in response to being asked if he has taken up House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's (R-CA) offer to visit the region.

Fox News White House correspondent Peter Doocy asked Jean-Pierre if Biden has accepted McCarthy's offer, noting Biden has not been to the border.

"He's been there. He's been to the border," Jean-Pierre replied.

"When did he go to the border?" Doocy pressed.

Jean-Pierre went on to say Biden has been "taking action to fix our immigration and secure our border."

DOOCY: "Kevin McCarthy says that he invited president Biden down to the border. How does the president RSVP? We know the president has never been down to the border..."
KJP: "He's been there. He's been to the border."
DOOCY: "When did he go to the border?" pic.twitter.com/bzLAQ2eJci

— Townhall.com (@townhallcom) November 30, 2022

While it is true Biden did go to the southern border one time in 2008, it is far from the fact-finding mission Jean-Pierre tried to make it appear. Biden technically drove by the U.S.-Mexico border in the El Paso Sector for a few minutes while en route to the suburb of Las Cruces for a political rally, according to the Washington Post. It was not to meet with Border Patrol or Customs agents or see the security measures that were in place at the time.

The purpose of a visit to the southern border today is because the situation has drastically changed since 2008. The El Paso Sector has since become one of the busiest parts of the border, eclipsing the Rio Grande Valley and Del Rio Sectors. Republicans and politicians living along the border have asked for either Biden or Vice President Kamala Harris to visit to see the crisis they created firsthand.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Misleading rather than outright lying.

Still not a good look.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Let us know when this administration outright lies every time the President opens his mouth like #45 okay?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 years ago

But But But Trump!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.1    2 years ago

The single minded cannot resist trying to deflect with mind-numbing bullshit.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 years ago

Ok! This president lies every time he opens his mouth. Always has!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 years ago
Let us know when this administration outright lies every time the President opens his mouth like #45 okay?

Are you going to compare every single Democrat for all time to Trump?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

No, it was an outright lie. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

How many people want Jen back I wonder?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    2 years ago

Right now Jen has her hands full:

• Judge Orders Jen Psaki To Testify On Biden Admin Role In Social Media Censorship   After losing a court battle, former White House press secretary Jen Psaki — who left the Biden administration in May to join MSNBC as a commentator — has been ordered by a federal judge to testify regarding the administration’s role in censorship on social media.

https://congressionalpost.com/judge-orders-jen-psaki-to-testify-on-biden-admin-role-in-social-media-censorship/#:~:text=Judge%20Orders%20Jen%20Psaki%20To%20Testify%20On%20Biden,the%20administration%E2%80%99s%20role%20in%20censorship%20on%20social%20media.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    2 years ago

Jen was very disorganized, and her briefing binder showed it ...

psaki-helpfull-notes.jpg

Compared to Kayleigh McEnany's ...

Kayleigh-McEnany-notebook.jpg

I can't find a clear image of KJP's binder, but seeing as how she flips back and forth so much while looking for answers, it seems that hers is as organized as Psaki's was. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

KJP outright lied, Vic. Although it's technically on the border, El Paso has never been a very serious illegal alien entry point. When Biden and/or Harris go to the Del Rio or Eagle Pass Sectors and meet with CBP agents, I'll agree that they want to actually do something about stopping illegal immigration and illegal drug/human trafficking.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.4.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.4    2 years ago

Not only that, but I can guarantee that Las Cruces IS NOT a suburb of El Paso - we're in New Mexico and damn proud of it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    2 years ago

She's a lying SOS, a very bad look for the Biden regime, and a national embarrassment.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 years ago

She did have the two desired qualifications though.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.2    2 years ago

Rocks aren't that dumb. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.3    2 years ago

Good point.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 years ago

Typical for the Biden Administration of the last two+ years!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

"When did he go to the border?" Doocy pressed.

Jean-Pierre went on to say Biden has been "taking action to fix our immigration and secure our border."

And with that it became glaringly apparent she is full of shit.  Just like the rest of this administration.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Sure wish someone would explain what they are doing and what Plan B is since Plan A is obviously a disaster.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Right Down the Center @4    2 years ago

And exactly what "action" are they taking?  Telling Arizona to remove shipping containers they placed on the border to fill gaps left when Biden stopped construction of the wall?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    2 years ago

I would have come back and told her that wasn't an answer to the question asked and that she should try again. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.1    2 years ago

I don't think she's answered a single question since taking the job.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    2 years ago

The action they are taking is to do nothing until it goes away by itself so he can take credit for it or hope that fox news stops reporting about it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1    2 years ago

You can rest assured that Hobbs and Kelley will do everything they can to make sure those shipping containers in Yuma are removed to insure the unimpeded free flow of illegals pouring in Arizona through the Yuma Sector once again!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.4    2 years ago

Could it be those are the "Voter Suppression" items the Democrats and left cried about but couldn't prove?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.2    2 years ago

Perfect for the know nothing job/administration.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

This would 100% count as a lie under the standards trump was held to.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

If he traveled on I-10 from the El Paso airport to Los Cruces, he was next to the border for a couple of miles.  Should have stopped off at L&J Cafe in El Paso for Mole Enchiladas or Chile Relleno or brisket at Desert Oak Barbecue.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    2 years ago

I know you.

Have you jumped from an airplane? Have you wrestled an alligator? Have you been to every great restaurant? Every point of entry? A response to every. single. post? 

We certainly know you, regardless of the answer. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1    2 years ago
Have you jumped from an airplane?

Yes and from a helicopter.

Have you wrestled an alligator?

No, no desire to ever learn how to do that.

Have you been to every great restaurant?

Hardley, that would be impossible.  The two I had in the note are very good, but hardly great. 

Every point of entry?

No.  And it's been a number of years since I visited Juárez.  Even though business kept me going to El Paso, the crime rate rose dramatically in Juárez and I thought why take the risk. I've also use the one at San Ysidro but that was also years ago.

A response to every. single. post?

Hardly.

Thanks for the questions.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.1    2 years ago

“Hardly.”

…and yet here you go again. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.2    2 years ago

I'm sorry if you think that your life hasn't been exciting enough for you.  Is it to late to get going?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.3    2 years ago

“I'm sorry if you think that your life hasn't been exciting enough for you.”

Please do not conflate the experiences I have enjoyed with one’s never ending attempt to relate, real or imagined. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.4    2 years ago

I’m not sure that you understand the meaning of conflate.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.5    2 years ago

“I’m not sure that you understand…”

…the point?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.6    2 years ago

…the point?

Exactly, I didn't understand 7.1.4

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.1    2 years ago

Funny, in 20 yeas of Naval service I jumped out of USMC UH-1 Huey's more times than I could count. Went along with being a SAR/medevac Corpsman. Ejected out of the back of a failing USMC F-4S Phantom II at MCAS Yuma. Never had occasion to wrestle any alligators. Not in my NEC/MOS job description. Went to great restraunts all over the Pacific rim countries but can't remember the names except for one called The Great Kahn in Christchurch, New Zealand. There are four ports of entry in my home state of Arizona and been through all of them,  the one in Douglas I live one mile away from. Also been to Tijuana in CA and the one in New York at Niagra. Never been to any in Texas. Guess I can say I have been around the block a time or two.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1.8    2 years ago

Perhaps   afrayedknot hasn't had the benefit of the experiences you and I have had.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.9    2 years ago

Agreed.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

People here are to quick to jump to conclusions.  Jean-Pierre was remember Joe telling her how much he misses the fajitas that he and Jill enjoyed at the Border Cafe, near his Wilmington home.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1  arkpdx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8    2 years ago

Did they get their breakfast tacos there too?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9  Texan1211    2 years ago

Perhaps Jean-Pierre misheard or misunderstood the question.

Maybe she thought she was asked if Biden had ever eaten at an On the Border restaurant?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @9    2 years ago

The ones on I-95, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @9.1    2 years ago
The ones on I-95, right?

No, the chain restaurant.

Perhaps you have heard of them?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10  bbl-1    2 years ago

Ah yes, the border.  Truly a shame that so many people affected by bad governments, bad climate, unfortunate natural disasters, drug cartels and a myriad of other problems see The United States of America as a beacon of hope.  Am sure the republicans if given the opportunity will change that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @10    2 years ago
Am sure the republicans if given the opportunity will change that.

Funny thing to be sure of based on actual history.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10.2  arkpdx  replied to  bbl-1 @10    2 years ago
bad governments, bad climate, ... drug cartels and a myriad of other problems

Those are problems that they need to take care of in their home countries. We don't need them to come here and "F" up ours. If they want to come here they can do so legally according to our laws..

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.1  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @10.2    2 years ago

It is legal to ask for refugee status at any international border and it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.2.1    2 years ago
it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees...

That is patently, demonstrably false.

Refugee Status | USCIS

Generally, you must be outside your homeland to be eligible for the U.S. refugee program. Even if we determine you to be a refugee, you must be admissible to the United States. You can be found inadmissible to the United States for a variety of reasons, including criminal, health, or security-related grounds.  You cannot be considered for refugee status if you have ordered, incited, assisted or otherwise participated in the persecution or harm of any person because of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

Try something else.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10.2.3  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @10.2.1    2 years ago

Point of entry is not in the middle of nowhere in the desert and economics is not a valid refugee status. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10.2.4  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.2    2 years ago

Being economically disadvantaged is not avalid reason to get refugee status. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @10.2.4    2 years ago

I know that, you know that, but it sure looks like SOMEONE here doesn't know that.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.6  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.2    2 years ago

I repeat, it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees. Refugee status must be approved by am immigration judge before achieving refugee status. Nobody said anything about what is and what is not a valid reason to pleading for refugee status!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.2.6    2 years ago

Refugee Status | USCIS

Generally, you must be outside your homeland to be eligible for the U.S. refugee program. Even if we determine you to be a refugee, you must be admissible to the United States.  You can be found inadmissible to the United States for a variety of reasons, including criminal, health, or security-related grounds. 

next!

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.8  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.7    2 years ago

What is that to do with the fact i stated?

An immigration judge considers all that...

Judges grant refugee status if the applicant is deemed admissible by the legal standards. Those who ask and are granted refugee status are thus legally here.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.2.8    2 years ago
What is that to do with the fact i stated?

Why do I need to explain it all to you again when the posts are all right there for you to read and figure it out on your own.

Your initial claim was that it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees.

My link from the USCIS tells us otherwise.

Did you not understand the highlighted parts in my quote from them?

What does "EVEN" mean to you?

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.10  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.9    2 years ago

It is illegal to deny entry to those deemed as refugees by a US immigration judge...

They have already passed the tests to be given temporary refugee status by then!

What part of that are you not getting yet?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
10.2.11  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @10.2.10    2 years ago
It is illegal to deny entry to those deemed as refugees by a US immigration judge...

That's actually not true even then.  There is a quota.

The number of persons who may be admitted to the United States as refugees each year is established by the President in consultation with Congress. For fiscal year (FY) 2023, the ceiling remains set at 125,000. 

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/us-refugee-resettlement#:~:text=The%20number%20of%20persons%20who,ceiling%20remains%20set%20at%20125%2C000.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.12  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @10.2.11    2 years ago

Yes, those not deemed as legal refugees are deported, but that is not what i am talking about. Once people are granted temporary refugee status then entry is granted to them while their permanent status is adjudicated. Of course, many are denied legal refugee status and ultimately deported. Many of those being granted refugee status now are fleeing from the communist regime in Venezuela. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10.2.13  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @10.2.12    2 years ago

Of course the greater majority never show up for their court dates and those that are deed not to be eligible for refuge and are told to leave simply ignore the courts orders then have lIberals cry and whine how it isn't fair to deport them. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.2.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @10.2.1    2 years ago

egal to ask for refugee status at any international border and it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees..

So you argument is Biden and the Democrats who've controlled Congress for two years  have refused to do anything to change this?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.2.10    2 years ago

Then why did you not write THAT instead of what you did write, which specifically was:

It is legal to ask for refugee status at any international border and it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees...

Now you are simply trying to change what you wrote because you got proved wrong.

Weak.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @10.2.10    2 years ago
What part of that are you not getting yet?

This part:

walkinitback.gif

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
10.2.17  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @10.2.6    2 years ago
I repeat, it is illegal to deny entry to those deemed to be refugees. Refugee status must be approved by am immigration judge before achieving refugee status 

So those that have not been up before a judge can not be given refugee status. There is nothing that says we must allow the to enter the US without having that status approved. Seems to me the remain in Mexico policy would work. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.2.18  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  arkpdx @10.2    2 years ago

But why would they pay the money it costs to enter legally when Biden and his minions will let them in absolutely for free, and wind up paying them at the same time with free benefits? Only in Joe's America!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10.2.19  bbl-1  replied to  JBB @10.2.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bbl-1 @10.2.19    2 years ago
Don't worry.  Given the opportunity the GOP will make it so nobody will want to come here. 

They certainly have failed so far or do you think that these migrants are ignorant?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10.2.21  bbl-1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.2.20    2 years ago

You have anything to say?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.2.22  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @10.2.19    2 years ago
Given the opportunity the GOP will make it so nobody will want to come here.

We couldn't get that damn lucky. The Establishment GOP are only slightly to the right of Democrats; and look out for themselves before the rest of US. They aren't as bad as Democrats- but they are close.

[Deleted]

With millions upon millions of teenage unwed mothers.

With millions upon millions of aborted babies; but don't worry [Deleted]

[Deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.2.23  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.2    2 years ago

In addition, one cannot cross the border illegally and then claim refugee status to any CBP agent they happen to meet. I asked this of some CBP field agents who I know that are neighbors of mine. In order to claim refugee status they must go to a US Consular Office closest to the border or to a regular port of entry and make the request. They can still be denied said status based on background checks both in this country and their home countries.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10.2.24  bbl-1  replied to  bbl-1 @10.2.19    2 years ago

Sweeping generalizations my arse.  I live in Ohio.  We have J.D. Vance now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11  Texan1211    2 years ago

Biden has probably been to the border at least as many times as his esteemed VP has.

And with the same results.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
11.1  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @11    2 years ago

I think the only southern border he has been near is the southern border of Delaware or maybe the border between DC and Virginia.