╌>

We’re All Capable of Going ‘Goblin Mode’

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  2 years ago  •  124 comments

By:   Caleb Madison

We’re All Capable of Going ‘Goblin Mode’
The Oxford Word of the Year tells a concise story about how many of us are doing these days.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The people have spoken about what the people have spoken: The 2022   Oxford Word of the Year , chosen for the first time ever by public vote, went to   goblin mode   by a 93 percent majority. Oxford defines   goblin mode   as “a type of behavior which is unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations.” It’s a gloriously evocative phrase—and it tells a concise story about how many of us are doing these days.

The first record of   goblin mode   occurred in 2009, when someone   tweeted : “m was in full hyperactive goblin mode last night. it was as if she ate a bag of sugar-coated candy, then washed it down with a few red bulls.” Not much is known about m or the specifics of her behavior on that fateful night, but the description is vivid: Her primal side had been unleashed. Although the post received a lukewarm 22 likes,   going goblin mode   described a condition that, more than a decade later, has become all too familiar.

People have gone other modes before: We started to go   beast   mode, for example, in 2007, with   savage   mode and   sicko   mode following later. The metaphor originates in video games, where navigating a hidden challenge might activate another “mode”: a special style of gameplay where you might move 10 times faster or appear as a zombie. To “go X mode” is to summon the spirit of X for a stretch—going Caleb mode, for example, might mean overanalyzing internet slang.

Goblin mode   returned with a vengeance in February 2022, in a   tweet   expressing mock disbelief at a Photoshopped headline: “Julia Fox opened up about her ‘difficult’ relationship with Kanye West,” it read. “‘He didn’t like when I went goblin mode.’” Fox, the actor/model who had just ended a high-profile fling with the artist now known as Ye, never actually used the phrase—but something about it resonated with the discourse of the moment. Fox’s eccentric style might seem goblinesque compared with the pristine InstaBeauty of the Kardashian empire from which Ye had been so recently banished.   Goblin mode   represented a full aesthetic rebound from immaculate self-presentation—perfect for a time when people were returning chaotically to public life from the madding bowels of pandemic isolation. “The term then rose in popularity over the months following,” Oxford University Press said, “as Covid lockdown restrictions eased in many countries and people ventured out of their homes more regularly.”

Western mythology is littered with all sorts of goblins: shape-shifting animals; demonic, fairylike creatures; rude and hairy humanoids. What typically separates them from other supernatural forces is not their physical appearance but their passion for shelter. Goblins tend to lurk in cozy spaces. Most early accounts place goblins in caves; eventually, during the ascent of urban European life in the 15th and 16th centuries, stories described them as dwelling in houses.

Goblins represent the impish un-self-consciousness of our private lives. They’re ugly little monsters who love making mischief around the home. They have more fun than trolls because, instead of waiting under a bridge to hurt someone, they’re just chilling at the crib, looking nasty and getting up to no good. Maybe they haven’t showered in a few days, but they’re not evil. They just want to stay in and play. Sound like anyone you know?

In the early days of the pandemic, many of us unlocked a new mode in the video game of life: demonically uninhibited domesticity. Through countless quarantines, we all became “m”: pent-up balls of energy bouncing off the same four walls, maniacally scrounging up fun in confinement. Unable to party elsewhere, we transformed our home by necessity into a stage for chaos and revelry. I myself would not be writing complete sentences today had my housemates and I not developed a weekly ritual of getting blisteringly wine-drunk and screaming obscenities at the movie   Cats .

The ability to go goblin mode was a necessary evolution, forged in trauma. But it now remains with us as a superpower. As we emerge from our caves after that long hibernation, our goblin-selves lurk somewhere deep inside us, beckoning us back home to vibe out. I don’t see going goblin mode as “self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy” at all. It’s refreshingly authentic and deeply cathartic. In goblin mode, we can become our true wild selves, unkempt and offstage, triumphantly invisible to the public eye.

I might define   goblin mode   as “unbridled domestic liberation” or “a complete shedding of the mask of public life” or, my personal favorite, “staying home and getting weird.” Whatever you call it, I’m grateful for my newfound ability to go goblin mode. Now get out of my house so I can act unhinged.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 years ago

Move over LGBTQQIP2SAA, I'm a GM-er and my pronoun is mode-me-we.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1    2 years ago

I am sure the Alphabet Crowd will welcome you with open arms.

Oh, is 'you' still an acceptable word?

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    2 years ago

Should I use 'IT' instead? That seems to be the acceptable word/pronoun in certain conservative conclaves.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    2 years ago
Should I use 'IT' instead?

Don't know, don't care.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.3  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    2 years ago

Don't know, don't care.

Hilarious! You make an inquiry and you lame up what I guess you perceive a clever retort. Teehee.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.4  cobaltblue  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    2 years ago

Should I use 'IT' instead? That seems to be the acceptable word/pronoun in certain conservative conclaves.

cec61725edfc470408bf2bdbd5a8dda9.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.3    2 years ago
Hilarious! You make an inquiry and you lame up what I guess you perceive a clever retort. Teehee.

Well, one could always choose to READ what I asked when one seems confused about what was written.

That way, one would be able to surmise that the question was not answered, but you go on pretending it was if that makes you feel better.

Remember, it was one of your liberal brethren that brought "IT" into the conversation, but you go right on pretending it was me!

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.6  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    2 years ago

You: Oh, is 'you' still an acceptable word?
Hallux: Should I use 'IT' instead?
You: Don't know, don't care.

Lame.

Speaking of liberal brethren, can you tell me when the libs are going to get owned? I've asked around here and no one has the answer. Gimme a clue. I've got a hair appointment, I have Christmas shopping to do, I want to do some baking. I'm tired of waiting around to get owned. 

Sorry the GOP has eaten itself and close to puking. You must be sad.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.6    2 years ago
You: Oh, is 'you' still an acceptable word?

Yes, I know what I wrote. Congrats on actually quoting me accurately, it is a nice change.

Hallux: Should I use 'IT' instead?

Now, I am prepared for your spin on it, but that answer really doesn't address my question no matter HOW hard you spin it.

You: Don't know, don't care.

I realize a DIRECT answer is sometime befuddling to those unaccustomed to them.

Speaking of liberal brethren, can youtell me when the libs are going to get owned?

As I have oft repeated here:

Who the fuck cares about owning a lib? WTF would we DO with one? I have pets already.

I've asked around here and no one has the answer. Gimme a clue. I've got a hair appointment, I have Christmas shopping to do, I want to do some baking. I'm tired of waiting around to get owned. 

Sounds like a personal problem to me, you will have to deal with it on your own. Good luck with it.

Sorry the GOP has eaten itself and close to puking. You must be sad.

Thanks, I was missing a little inanity in my day.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.8  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    2 years ago
I realize a DIRECT answer is sometime befuddling to those unaccustomed to them.

Okay, your first mistake was enrolling in the Tonya Harding School of Spin. Get your money back. (Whatever happened to her?)

tonya-harding-figure-skating.gif

Still lame. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.8    2 years ago

I was only missing a little inanity in my day, thanks for providing me with a whole week's worth.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Hallux  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.8    2 years ago

Are you confusin' the boy by trollin' his goblin' or by goblin' his trollin'? All you will get out of it is a trailer trash troglodyte.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.11  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.9    2 years ago

I was only missing a little inanity in my day, thanks for providing me with a whole week's worth.

Now you're just comin' on to me. Cut that shit out. I like men.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.11    2 years ago
Now you're just comin' on to me.

Please leave me out of your fantasies.

Thanks!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Tessylo  replied to    2 years ago

You don't qualify for that status either

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
Scratching head ........ That's what they ALL Say !

Shades of AOC fantasies!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Tessylo  replied to    2 years ago

why do you comment on things you have no knowledge of?

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.20  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    2 years ago
Please leave me out of your fantasies.

Sorry. Someone bragging about the cadavers that he has "relations" with and how it was the best the cadaver ever had is not my cup o' tea. Ew. 

I reiterate. I like men. In particular, smart men. I don't consider having Magic as your wingman a testament to your intelligence. You're an admitted troll, and Magic has a troll for an avatar who drags around a sack of "Lonesome Loser" LPs tossing them out like it means something to someone. I don't expect either one of you to be receiving an email from MENSA regarding your admittance. 

Quit the ridiculous cotton-ball insult lobbing. You're a disruption to a perfectly good article.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.20    2 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.24  cobaltblue  replied to    2 years ago

You DO like/Love Women ?

I know this is not directed at me, but I have ask the others. Does this ass make my comment look big?

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.26  cobaltblue  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.22    2 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Back atcha.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.27  cobaltblue  replied to    2 years ago
Their feelings hurt, if I answered

You don't have the capabilities to hurt anyone's feelings. One would have to have a modicum of respect for someone in order to care. Let's see if I can explain it to you. Would you care if Nick Fuentes thought he could hurt your feelings? Of course not. He's ridiculously ignorant. He's an incel that's pissed AND stupid.

And that, you little pink troll, is why you don't have the aptitude to hurt anyone's feelings. Now go listen to your favorite song ... lonesome loser.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.29  cobaltblue  replied to    2 years ago
It even tells you what you said was great, to boost your own ego !

I've made my point. 

9fd139bc39e9dd9827ee330aac4033a6.jpg

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.30  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.29    2 years ago
I've made my point.

Exactly, and with points of your own, sittin' way up high.

Way up firm and high.

Alas, I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered?
Started hummin' a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves?
When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closin' in
Autumn sucks compared to summer.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.31  cobaltblue  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.30    2 years ago
Exactly, and with points of your own, sittin' way up high.

I love autumn. It's chilly out and that's when the girls don their party hats to celebrate the season.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.32  afrayedknot  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.31    2 years ago

“It's chilly out and that's when the girls don their party hats…”

oh my…if one gets the point(s), undoubtedly the best time of the year…

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.33  cobaltblue  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.32    2 years ago

oh my…if one gets the point(s), undoubtedly the best time of the year…

I remember one particularly beautiful fall day circa 2015 when I went to the Jackson Pollock exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art. I think your avatar was a painting he created during his "sober and most creative years" (according to the curator), 1948 through 1951. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.20    2 years ago
Sorry. Someone bragging about the cadavers that he has "relations" with and how it was the best the cadaver ever had is not my cup o' tea. Ew. 

Gee, get a sense of humor. Learn to recognize sarcasm. MUST I identify EVERY sarcastic statement FOR you??

I reiterate. I like men

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif Like I give a flying fuck who or what you like.

You're an admitted troll,

There you go again, making shit up.

If you don't like what I post, put me on ignore. I think the 'proper' protocol for that is to make a big announcement how you have me on ignore and then still post to me. That is how others do it, so live it up!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.35  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
Maxwell?

LOL!

You might need to explain that.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.36  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.35    2 years ago

You might need to explain that.

Maybe you should join magic in the cone of silence.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.37  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.34    2 years ago

If you don't like what I post, put me on ignore. I think the 'proper' protocol for that is to make a big announcement how you have me on ignore and then still post to me. That is how others do it, so live it up!

Why would I put you on ignore? That's the most absurd thing ever. I've NEVER put anyone on ignore. I have never flagged anyone. I don't give a shit what you post. My, aren't you self-absorbed. Yikes dude. Get a grip.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.38  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.36    2 years ago
Maybe you should join magic in the cone of silence.

Who would that leave to explain to you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.39  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.37    2 years ago
That's the most absurd thing ever.

Ever? A tad melodramatic and just a little over exaggeration!

I don't give a shit what you post. 

You seem upset. Did I do that?

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.40  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.39    2 years ago

You seem upset. Did I do that?

Aw. You sound so desperate. No dear. Not the least bit upset. Although it sounds like you want that desperately. Have you tried the warmth of a live woman? I think Craig's List may be of help. Maybe you won't be so needy afterwards.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.41  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.38    2 years ago

Who would that leave to explain to you?

Real lame.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.42  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.34    2 years ago
There you go again, making shit up.

I call bullshit. You admitted you just liked to piss off the libs; you admitted you knew how to 'work the system.' You got a couple of days off for it if I remember correctly. But we both established at the time you admittedly were here to troll. You owned it at the time. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.43  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.42    2 years ago
I call bullshit.

That and $3 and some change will get you a gallon of gas.

You admitted you just liked to piss off the libs;

I am not here to make you happy nor piss you off. I can not control your emotions.

you admitted you knew how to 'work the system.'

You'll have to refresh my memory on that. What system?

You got a couple of days off for it if I remember correctly.

Quite possible. It is also possible it was for a multitude of things and you really probably weren't much of a contributor to my ticket count. If I did the 'crime' then I did the 'time'.

But we both established at the time you admittedly were here to troll. You owned it at the time. 

Okay, now is the time I ask for proof via a quote of me doing either.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.44  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.43    2 years ago

Okay, now is the time I ask for proof via a quote of me doing either.

Sorry. I don't keep track of your statements. Not interested enough. If you choose to deny it happened, it's typical. It's what you do.

Have a great day!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.45  Tessylo  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.44    2 years ago

Have I told you lately that I jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg YOU?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.46  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.45    2 years ago

I tell dev and Mrs. Giggles all the time but cannot recall if I have let YOU know that CB

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.47  cobaltblue  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.46    2 years ago

Absolutely love Giggles, dev and you. Hell, Giggles was the first we (al, snooky and I [the originators of ButtHeads on NV]) asked to be an admin. Best decision we ever made.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.51  seeder  Hallux  replied to    2 years ago
You DO like/Love Women ?

There are many other seeds and sites where you can ask inane questions. Elon is shopping, put yourself up for adoption.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.53  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.30    2 years ago
Autumn sucks compared to summer.

I can only surmise that you don't take walks when our biting six legged friends dain to die ...

how the heart sings

like spring's yearning
and summer's greening.
like fall's ripening
and winter's dreaming
of spring's recurring.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.54  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.44    2 years ago

I see you taking a page from other posters' lame tactics--make a claim, be unable to substantiate it, then run when pressed for details and proof.

Good on you!

Thanks for meeting ALL my expectations.

Obviously, the bar is pretty damn low.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.44    2 years ago
I don't keep track of your statements.

Really?

Then you wouldn't have a clue about what you "think" I admitted, now would you?

You probably should have thought that all the way through before posting.

Or just continue imagining things you wanted me to say but never did.

That appears to be your favorite thing to argue--stuff you manage to invent others saying.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.56  seeder  Hallux  replied to    2 years ago
be PC Inclusive...

That was adopted by the MAGA crowd and they are fully addicted to it.

BTW, bolding and underlining words does the opposite of making you appear smart.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.57  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @1.1.53    2 years ago

I can only surmise that you don't take walks when our biting six legged friends dain to die ..

I was using autumn as a metaphor for aging.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.58  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.54    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.60  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.58    2 years ago

removed for context

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.61  JBB  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.58    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.62  Tessylo  replied to    2 years ago

I LOVE ALL DECENT PEOPLE WITH SENSE AND DECENCY AND COMMON SENSE AND BRAINS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF AND BEYOND LIKE CB AND OTHERS

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.63  Tessylo  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.27    2 years ago

AGAIN jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg CB, ALWAYS

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.65  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @1.1.10    2 years ago

Taunting [charger 383] 

Not really, I was flirting with cobalt so ticket me for that instead. @!@

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.66  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.55    2 years ago
Then you wouldn't have a clue about what you "think" I admitted, now would you?

I know exactly what you said when you said it. You've pulled this countless times before with several members. It's no big whoop. You always demand written proof from conversations years previous. No one gives enough of a shit to "prove" you wrong because your MO is just that ... say "prove it" knowing you're not important enough. Really. Who cares if you deny admitting you're a troll?  You often claim you never said shit because you know you're ultimately so inconsequential, mopping floors would be preferable trying to prove you wrong. You know how grifter trump says shit on video then denies he says it? It's what you both do. It's a big meh. You can deny admitting that you are a troll, but it's hardly a big deal. It's. What. You. Do. Do you think I care leaving off "self-admitted troll" when addressing you? Pick bigger fish to fry. Krill sinks to the bottom.

Meh. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.67  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.54    2 years ago
I see you taking a page from other posters' lame tactics--make a claim, be unable to substantiate it, then run when pressed for details and proof.

See my 1.1.66

Meh. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.68  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.55    2 years ago
You probably should have thought that all the way through before posting.

That made me literally laugh out loud!! You're often amusing because I sometimes think it's cute how hard you try to be cutting without appearing elementary (the desperation is sometimes sad, but still amusing), but I rarely laugh out loud. This just tickled the shit outta me. 

This one's not a meh because it made me laugh. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.69  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.66    2 years ago
I know exactly what you said when you said it.

Oh, so you do read occasionally.

Kudos.

I do demand proof when poster lie about stuff they 'claim' I have written.

To me, it is pretty amusing to watch them scramble, deflect, and come up as empty as I knew they would when asked to support the crazy-ass things they claim.

BTW, you can have one extra cookie for working Trump into yet another conversation that has zero to do with him.

Here-Is-A-Cookie-For-Your.jpg

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.70  seeder  Hallux  replied to    2 years ago

Are you a 'patriotic' Proud Boy?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.71  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.67    2 years ago
See my 1.1.66

Why? You didn't provide any more proof in it than you have all along!

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.72  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.69    2 years ago
I do demand proof when poster lie about stuff they 'claim' I have written.

Who's gonna go back and look for your ancient comments. It's safe to say you don't matter enough. Deny away. Ultimately it means nothing. Why would people say this to you so often? Why do you have to tell people so damn often to go back and prove it? This is a prime example of self-absorption coupled with insecurity. 

Let's go back to the crux of the matter:

bf6ee7995269899cc58abfb2d4b39d05.jpg

Have a good rest of your day. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.73  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.72    2 years ago
Who's gonna go back and look for your ancient comments.

Presumably the folks making baseless, false claims. Or did even you realize you couldn't back it up because I never said it and just decided that you were going to deflect instead?

Why do you have to tell peopleso damn oftento go back and prove it?

I suppose the reason is that so many posters continue to lie about what others write.

If they stop lying, I wouldn't have to demand anything at all.

I guess it is possible some folks get kicks out of lying----right up until they get called out on it.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.74  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.71    2 years ago

Why? You didn't provide any more proof in it than you have all along!

Sigh. Okay. One more time, Tex, and then you gotta get over yourself. I don't care if you deny saying you posted shit to piss off the libs. You said it; I then said, "so you're a self-admitted troll." You agreed. I thought at the time it was nice you owned it. Not many would have. So I guess you didn't say you were troll, you just said yes when I said you were a self-admitted troll. 

So now you, for the umpteenth time, said you didn't say that. Okay. I know I said it, Perrie might remember it (not important), and you are more than welcome to deny it. Good enough. Fine. I'm not going to go back more than five years or so to find that comment. Who would do that, Tex? It doesn't matter. Deny away. I'm not going to try to prove it to you. I've said that already a few times. Then you say "you didn't provide any more proof than you have all along." I said all along I was not, not ever, going to try to prove it to you. You know why? Because it doesn't matter. 

Sheesh. It's like talking to Giuliani. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.75  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.73    2 years ago
If they stop lying, I wouldn't have to demand anything at all.

You may want to consider what makes so many people do that to you. I haven't a clue, but I've never seen one person have to say "prove it" so often. But I promise you, Tex, most people roll their eyes when you do that. Denying is part of the MO. Long ago, I would have made jackoff motions when reading stuff like that, but I've matured. [Aaaaannnnnnd ... go!]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.76  Tessylo  replied to    2 years ago

Soon to be a proud MAGAGA

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.77  cobaltblue  replied to  Hallux @1.1.70    2 years ago

Are you a 'patriotic' Proud Boy?

Oxymoron. Emphasis on the moron.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.78  JohnRussell  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.75    2 years ago

They do the best they can. It must be difficult to make so many comments without ever saying anything interesting. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.81  cobaltblue  replied to    2 years ago

Mirror again ?

First it's constant dropping off a "Lonesome Loser" track on members' comments, and now it's mirrors. Your shticks have passed their shelf lives. Your avatar is cute though. 

Carry on. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.82  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.74    2 years ago
You agreed

Another (sigh) lie.

I'm not going to try to prove it to you.

I had already figured that out long, long ago. I knew you couldn't; it is hard to prove inventions.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.83  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.75    2 years ago
You may want to consider what makes so many people do that to you.

I have. I believe it is a lack of character and brains. Because it is mighty stupid to lie about what someone says and then be unable and incapable of backing the lie up.

I haven't a clue

You have made that abundantly clear.

But I promise you, Tex, most people roll their eyes when you do that.

Liars sometimes think that is a defense of their lies. It isn't.

Denying is part of the MO.

I will always deny what are lies about me. I thought maybe, just maybe, some would stop if they got called out enough, but alas, I see that was an exercise in futility.

Carry on, but do expect to get called out if your posts claim any more lies about my comments.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.84  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.83    2 years ago

Carry on, but do expect to get called out if your posts claim any more lies about my comments.

Meh. No one cares.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.85  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.84    2 years ago
Meh. No one cares.

Says the one making endless comments on it.

Strange behavior for someone who doesn't care. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.86  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.85    2 years ago
Says the one making endless comments on it.

In response to your endless comments. My endless "I give zero fucks", "I don't care", "no one cares" and "meh" don't seem enough for you. I'm merely letting you know your panties having been bunched was for naught because (surprise!) I don't care, and thus my endless responses are to your endless bunched panties.

Strange behavior for someone who doesn't care.

There's that amusing desperation again. You're trying to be obtuse enough to try to make me annoyed, but I don't even get close to annoyed. No one cares. But what I do kinda enjoy, just because, is triggering you to make non-sensical knee-jerk reactions in front of everyone here. It's one of my personal faves. Yay!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.87  Texan1211  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.86    2 years ago

Hillary would be soo proud of you!

"Nevertheless, she persisted.”

Your comments telling everyone how you don't care and don't give a fuck is only enough to convince me that you do.

Please, seeing how important it is to you, take the last word.

And please do make it the last.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.88  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.87    2 years ago
Please, seeing how important it is to you, take the last word.

Sure. Whatever floats your toy boat. Have a good evening!

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.89  cobaltblue  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.87    2 years ago
Your comments telling everyone how you don't care and don't give a fuck is only enough to convince me that you do.

Desperation at its finest! You said that knowing how ridiculous it reads. Aw. You did that for me, didn't you. Aw. That's sweet.

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.90  seeder  Hallux  replied to    2 years ago
But, But.... MAGA....

I try not to use the acronym, it sounds as ugly as its followers ... but hey, when the shoe fits make 'em wear them.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.93  Tessylo  replied to    2 years ago

We see right through you.  It is a very, very short journey

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.95  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1.1.70    2 years ago

most definitely

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.96  cobaltblue  replied to    2 years ago
Nothing on "MY" part has ever been a constant ! 
I like to "Keeping 'em Guessing" !

Oh I don't know. You constantly remind me of that cartoon character. You know the one ... always waving his gun around, thinking he was smarter than he ever really was, which made him such a joke. Who was that ... let me think. You know, the one who couldn't shoot straight. He jammed his gun constantly and each time he would look down the barrel to find the problem. And BLAM! He'd shoot himself in the face. Over and over again. And watching it would make me laugh so danged hard. It never got old. Oh yeah! It was Yosemite Sam. How could I forget? If anyone knows cartoon characters, it is me.

You.... you're just an easy one to figure out !

Aw. Are you attempting a silly slut shaming via track because you're not clever enough to make the statement without it? Word on the street is that someone overheard you asking your boyfriend if you were the only one he had been with, and he said yes ... all his others had been mostly nines and tens, some sixes. That was mean. Break up with him! He's not worthy of your ... your ... hmmm. Maybe you should stick with him. 

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.97  cobaltblue  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.93    2 years ago

We see right through you.  

A wise woman once said assholes will always be just assholes. You can't stick some flowers up someone's butt and call it a vase.
This is a generalization, of course.

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.98  charger 383  replied to  Hallux @1.1.65    2 years ago

Flirting with Cobalt is NOT against any rule!    So I fixed ticket

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.99  cobaltblue  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.98    2 years ago

Flirting with Cobalt is NOT against any rule!    So I fixed ticket

So ... how you doin' ...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.100  Ender  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.99    2 years ago

(blush)...coy smile....

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.101  charger 383  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.99    2 years ago

Great, having a drink in your honor   and you?

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.102  cobaltblue  replied to  Ender @1.1.100    2 years ago

(blush)...coy smile....

Oh you. You had me with all your correct spelling, proper grammar and your spot-on punctuation n' stuff.

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.103  cobaltblue  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.101    2 years ago
Great, having a drink ... and you?

You having a drink and me? Short notice, but let me change into something ... more comfortable!

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.104  charger 383  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.103    2 years ago

Let it snow, Let it snow!   a few snowflakes starting,  so let it snow!

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.105  cobaltblue  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.104    2 years ago

Let it snow, Let it snow!   a few snowflakes starting,  so let it snow!

How exciting!! Egg nog and Amaretto weather. I hope you work from home. Hell, if I said a few snowflakes were falling, there'd be fear, dread and trepidation in my voice. Why? I live in Texas. 'Nuff said.

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.106  charger 383  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.105    2 years ago

I work part time and don't think I will go in tomorrow  Calling for ice too.   Staying home and making a nice breakfast

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.107  cobaltblue  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.106    2 years ago

Staying home and making a nice breakfast

I thought about making pancakes tomorrow, but maybe not. I keep waffling.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.108  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.98    2 years ago

I should hope not...this place would be empty!

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
1.1.109  cobaltblue  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.108    2 years ago

I should hope not...this place would be empty!

literal lol!!! 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.110  afrayedknot  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.108    2 years ago

“I should hope not...this place would be empty!”

Except for the scrambling. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
1.1.112  charger 383  replied to  cobaltblue @1.1.99    2 years ago

and for real flirting with Cobalt Blue,  Charger's Charger is painted very close to Cobalt Blue 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.113  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @1.1.112    2 years ago

That's a fitting tribute to our Cobalt

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

What a sad commentary it is on present humanity for such an expression as "goblin mode" to have been chosen as "word of the year".   

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
3  mocowgirl    2 years ago
 “a type of behavior which is unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations.”

Isn't this how the self-righteous, religious zealot, forced birthers view women who just want to have sex for fun instead of procreation?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4  mocowgirl    2 years ago
In goblin mode, we can become our true wild selves, unkempt and offstage, triumphantly invisible to the public eye.

Is this an example of goblin mode?

Thousands of St Nick fans flock to NYC for SantaCon as NYPD braces itself drunken crowdgoers | Daily Mail Online

Tens of thousands of St. Nick fans in festive fancy dress have invaded the streets of New York to celebrate SantaCon 2022 - as NYPD braces itself for debauched and drunken behavior at the notorious annual event.

Hordes of revelers dressed as Mr. and Mrs. Claus,   Christmas   trees, reindeers, elves and even the Grinch flooded  Times Square at 10am on Saturday to kick off the festivities. 

The crowd is there to take part in an epic pub crawl that includes sixty-five bars, club and venues from Midtown to the East Village - with proceeds from the $15 tickets given to charity.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5  SteevieGee    2 years ago

It's interesting that the 'word of the year', winning with 93% of the vote, is something that I've never used or even ever heard used.  I guess I'm just too indifferent and selfish to pay enough attention to what people say.  Meh.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6  mocowgirl    2 years ago
Oxford Word of the Year 2022  

The public has spoken! After opening the choice of Word of the Year up to English speakers for the first time in its history, over the last two weeks more than 300,000 people cast their vote.

The Oxford Word of the Year is a word or expression reflecting the ethos, mood, or preoccupations of the past twelve months, one that has potential as a term of lasting cultural significance. Supported by evidence of real language usage, Oxford’s editors track candidates as they emerge throughout the year, analyzing frequency statistics and other language data in the Oxford English Corpus. Previous words have included  vax  (2021),  climate emergency  (2019), and s elfie  (2013).

While I found this seed interesting (and amusing), I am more in agreement that "gaslighting" is (sadly) more deserving of the "Word of the Year" award.

‘Gaslighting’ Is the Word of the Year. What Does That Tell Us About the World We’re Living In? | Vogue

‘Gaslighting’ Is the Word of the Year. What Does That Tell Us About the World We’re Living In?

Anyone who has ever been gaslit will remember the feeling. Wondering whether you might be overreacting after all. The self-doubt over what—until just now—you absolutely knew to be true. Perhaps you are a crazy psycho bitch and have misread the situation? Maybe you do overthink. Is it all in your head?

It seems as though more of us want the answers to these questions than ever. Merriam-Webster has just made “gaslighting” its word of the year , after searches rose by 1,740 percent in the last 12 months, and it was looked up multiple times, every single day. The dictionary broadly defines gaslighting as “the act or practice of grossly misleading someone, especially for one’s own advantage.”

Unlike previous years, there wasn’t a single world event that prompted the spike in searches and led to it becoming “word of the year.” But we shouldn’t be surprised. That’s the thing about gaslighting. It’s not a single seismic headline-grabbing moment. It’s death by a thousand tiny cuts, the likes of which are being inflicted on women quietly, insidiously, and behind closed doors constantly. (While it can happen to anyone, research has shown that gaslighting is mostly used as a form of emotional abuse in heterosexual relationships by men towards women.)

And it’s not confined to romantic relationships. The manipulation of your mental state to allow someone else’s bad behavior to continue can occur among friends and family. It can come from the mouths of politicians or doctors who want you to believe your pain is “all in your head” (people of color and women are most often on the receiving end of this “medical gaslighting”). 

But a note of caution. Because the term gaslighting is, as the actress Rebecca Humphries has put it, at risk of being “watered down.” Humphries is the author of the genre-changing book Why Did You Stay? about the impact of being gaslit by her ex, a certain comedian who was caught cheating on her with his Strictly Come Dancing partner and recently visited the Australian jungle . (She never names him, so neither will I.) 

And she’s right. Too often we substitute “liar” for “gaslighter.” We use it as an easy insult or joke when our partner claims we didn’t tell them to take the garbage out. At the risk of sounding humorless, it’s not all that funny when you consider the abuse it’s meant to describe. 

We’re not talking about straightforward fibbing here; it’s far more devious and manipulative than that. And by misusing gaslighting as a term, we undermine the very word that’s designed to describe a pattern of undermining behavior.

“Gaslighting isn’t lying, it’s more sinister,” Humphries tells me. “You become so dependent on the gaslighter that you start to gaslight yourself before believing the truth about a situation. ‘I’m sure they said that they would come tonight… but then again, my brain is mad so I’m probably wrong.’ It truly feels as though you’re going insane, and the irony, of course, is that you are the one who holds the truth.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I didn't know I was living in "goblin mode".

I'm slovenly and lazy but not greedy. That takes too much effort

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
7.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    2 years ago

I'm slovenly and lazy but not greedy. That takes too much effort

It's hard to be slovenly and greedy. If you acquire stuff, it just adds to the clutter. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     2 years ago

Their new mascot, the Goblin Shark, they are not a myth they are the real thing. 

goblin.jpg

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
8.1  cobaltblue  replied to  Kavika @8    2 years ago
Their new mascot, the Goblin Shark, they are not a myth they are the real thing. 

I take comfort knowing that creature is beautiful to its mother.