╌>

AOC: The Giant Progressive Fraud? - 19FortyFive

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  27 comments

By:   Harrison Kass (FortyFive)

AOC: The Giant Progressive Fraud? - 19FortyFive
Despite her bluster, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or AOC, is not a progressive politician. She just plays one on social media.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By

Harrison Kass

Published

3 mins agoAOC on MSNBC

When Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez defeated incumbent Joe Crowley to represent New York's 14th Congressional District, she became the youngest woman ever elected to the U.S. Congress.

Instantly, AOC became a national celebrity, the rising star of the Democratic Party. Winning 57.5% of the vote, AOC showed that her progressive platform and her professed working-class values were politically viable.

Many constituents viewed AOC's ascendancy as a marker for hope and optimism.

She promised advocacy for a slew of progressive reforms, including: Medicare for all; fully funded public schools and universities; a universal jobs guarantee; criminal justice system reform; immigration reform; campaign-finance reform; an "Economy of Peace;" paid family and sick leave; and housing as a human right.

AOC even denounced identity politics as a trojan horse to court minority voters. She criticized the DNC 's support of Israel.

AOC was young, trendy, female, and "BIPOC"- and progressives were positively salivating over her political potential.

However, AOC's time in office has demonstrated clearly that she is an upholder of the status quo.

She turned out to be a master of identity politics and a talented crafter of her own celebrity - not for the sake of political action, but for the sake of celebrity itself.

Only through the artful manipulation of social media has AOC has retained her moniker as a champion of progressive values.

A Well-Worn Formula

AOC established a stark contrast between her campaign and her tenure almost immediately.

During AOC's campaign, she said she wouldn't vote for Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the House.

Of course, moments into her tenure, she endorsed Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the House.

In response to the criticism that followed, AOC did what she does best - what she does better, in fact, than anyone else in politics: She framed herself as the victim.

"Over 200 members voted for Nancy Pelosi today, yet the GOP only booed one: me," AOC tweeted. "Don't hate me cause you ain't me, fellas."

The left should have been booing AOC, too. She had broken a progressive campaign promise.

But the optics of this slight, young, pretty, brown woman confronting the GOP establishment were just too good.

The GOP has "literally never been more threatened by a politician," said a Twitter user. "You must be their biggest threat. They're behaving like children," said another.

Clearly, AOC could break campaign promises as long as she took to social media afterward, went head-to-head with the GOP, and claimed some form of victimhood.

She has followed that same, simple template ever since.

First, espouse a progressive policy point. Then, violate that progressive policy point and uphold the status quo. Finally, frame self as the victim.

AOC and Israel

Take another example: During AOC's campaign, she openly criticized America's, and the Democratic Party's, unqualified support for Israel.

Since, in her view, Israel has committed various atrocities against the Palestinians, U.S. and DNC support for Israel constitutes a human rights violation. She vowed not to endorse endless, unqualified support for Israel.

Well, in October 2021, with the House set to vote on $1 billion in new funding for Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system, AOC had the opportunity to prove her mettle. She could have voted against sending money to Israel to fund weapons systems. And right up until the very moment of the vote, AOC held to her campaign promises, telling constituents in a letter that she opposed the Iron Dome funding because of "persistent human rights abuses against the Palestinian people."

Yet when the moment came for AOC to cast her vote, she stepped in line and supported the funding.

Having violated her promises, she swiftly pivoted to the final step of her formula: reframing herself as the victim.

In full view of the live television feeds covering the vote, AOC wept openly. "Yes, I wept," AOC said, "I wept at the complete lack of care for the human beings that are impacted by these decisions, I wept at an institution choosing a path of maximum volatility and minimum consideration for its own political convenience."

Then, to fully crystallize herself as the victim in all this - "this" being her decision to send unconditioned military aid to Israel after vowing not to send unconditioned military aid to Israel - AOC blamed the decision on "hateful targeting," "death threats," and "dangerous vitriol" she had received on account of opposing the funding.

Imagine if politicians pushing through the 13th Amendment, the New Deal, or the Civil Rights Act had withdrawn their support due to "hateful targeting" and "dangerous vitriol."

A Social Media Star, That's All

But that's the thing with AOC.

Despite being billed as America's progressive champion, she's not a serious progressive politician - she's not seriously progressive, nor seriously a politician.

Her progressive track record, three and a half years into her tenure, is paltry. And while she is, of course, an elected official, her true spirit is that of an influencer.

Perfectly nothing encapsulates who AOC is like last year's dress incident.

AOC, who voted in favor of the CARES Act, perhaps the single most comprehensive upward transfer of wealth in U.S. history, proceeded to wear a dress to the Met Gala, of all places, inscripted with "TAX THE RICH." Images of AOC on the red carpet went viral. Criticism followed, but AOC was ready with a victimhood-claiming spin.

"I thought about the criticism I'd get," AOC said, "but honestly I and my body have been so heavily and relentlessly policed from all corners politically since the moment I won my election that it's kind of become expected and normalized to me."

Harrison Kass is the Senior Editor at 19FortyFive. An attorney, pilot, guitarist, and minor pro hockey player, he joined the US Air Force as a Pilot Trainee but was medically discharged. Harrison holds a BA from Lake Forest College, a JD from the University of Oregon, and an MA from New York University. He lives in Oregon and listens to Dokken. Follow him on Twitter @harrison_kass.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Progressives got fooled--again.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

We Democrats/Liberals/Progressives/smart, sane folks have not been fooled/are being fooled on a daily basis.  That would be y'all repubs/gqp

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 years ago
We Democrats/Liberals/Progressives/smart, sane folks have not been fooled/are being fooled on a daily basis.

Can you explain the fascination with AOC, who has done exactly what she said she would NOT do?

Looks like you got fooled to me!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    last year
[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    last year
Can you explain the fascination with AOC

Can you? Your side of the fence is the one fascinated by her. You should worry about George Santos, he will cost republicans votes, AOC will not cost democrats any.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.1.3    last year
Can you?

Yes. Sycophants are easily fooled.

Your side of the fence is the one fascinated by her.

True enough. It's like watching a train wreck. You just can't look away because we want to see what stupid falls from her lips next.

You should worry about George Santos, he will cost republicans votes

I don't see how.

AOC will not cost democrats any.

Maybe, maybe not. The one good thing about influencers is that eventually they lose that influence and the sheep following them move onto the next one.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1    last year

No one takes her seriously.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    last year

what an ironic comment...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    last year
what an ironic comment...

Please learn what irony actually is, thanks!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    last year

That's what happens when they have mile wide blinders on.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    2 years ago

Yawn.  A hit piece on a strong, intelligent, capable, attractive woman/Democrat whom they fear.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago
Yawn.  A hit piece on a strong, intelligent, capable, attractive woman/Democrat whom they fear.

Yawn, a silly comment from a progressive sycophant who loves being fooled!

"I won't vote for Nancy"

"They made me vote for Nancy!"

"I won't support Israel!"

"I was forced to vote to defend Israel!"

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago
A hit piece on a strong, intelligent, capable, attractive woman/Democrat whom they fear.

Exactly how strong does a progressive have to be to lie about their positions?  Who fears AOC? That right there is freaking hilarious! No one fears her, as sensible people know she will never amount to anything more than she is now and never be in enough power to matter.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.1    2 years ago

I kind of figured THAT would be the very best answer you could come up with.

I know, I know, it is hard to stand up for an idiot like AOC.

But you keep plugging away!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    last year

I was going to say I'm so glad that little twit would never be elected in my state, and she wouldn't, but then I remembered they elected Mark Kelley!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.3    last year

Yeah, there are plenty of twits around on both sides.

I never give a damn when anyone criticizes MTJ or other twits.

A twit is a twit and party isn't what makes one a twit.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    last year

Yep.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @2    last year
A hit piece on a strong, intelligent, capable, attractive woman/Democrat

That could be considered off topic as this article is about AOC.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    last year

So this is because Santos has been outed as a complete fraud through and through? Like lying about virtually every aspect of his life and career? And your answer is.... to ignore him say "whatabout...." ? I mean I know you got nothing, but why advertise it, that's what I don't get. 

I mean, really, just flat out say "I am a partisan tool" and be done with it, that is all this seed is. It is a deflection away from Santos. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    last year
So this is because Santos has been outed as a complete fraud through and through? Like lying about virtually every aspect of his life and career? And your answer is.... to ignore him say "whatabout...." ? I mean I know you got nothing, but why advertise it, that's what I don't get. 

No, this article is about AOC. Unless you think maybe Santos was advising AOC or she was advising him?

I mean, really, just flat out say "I am a partisan tool" and be done with it, that is all this seed is. It is a deflection away from Santos. 

No, this isn't about Santos.

Maybe you should post about Santos here:

If you wish to comment further, the topic here is AOC.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    last year

Yawn, okay, all of a sudden you get a tick about AOC's lies and whatnot right when the Santos thing breaks? What a shock.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.1    last year
Yawn, okay, all of a sudden you get a tick about AOC's lies and whatnot right when the Santos thing breaks? What a shock.

Ok, I apologize for the timing of the author of the article. I had no idea and I am sure he didn't either that it would be so upsetting!

As an influencer, I am sure AOC could tell you all publicity is good in the long run.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    last year

Who is upset?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.3    last year
Who is upset?

Your posts lead me to believe you are. 

At least that would be a plausible explanation for your deflection.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    last year

Nah, I don't much care for either. I just find it amusing that all of a sudden AOC is a thing for you when it comes to lying RIGHT as is the Santos thing comes to a head. 

Maybe you legitimately care about her lies and wanted to see her held to account all along, but I just get the feeling that this newly found zeal only came about in the last 3 days. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.5    last year

Yeah, I can't help you with what you feel.