╌>

Remembering the January 6 Capitol Deaths From Brian Sicknick to Ashli Babbitt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  142 comments

By:   Soo Kim (Newsweek)

Remembering the January 6 Capitol Deaths From Brian Sicknick to Ashli Babbitt
A year on from the U.S. Capitol riots, we reflect on the lives of those who died since the insurrection on January 6 in 2021.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S.Capitol RiotsAnniversaryDeathsPolice

January 6, 2022 marks the one-year anniversary of the U.S. Capitol riots, which saw rioters breach security and storm the building.

The attack saw the deaths of several people, including police officers.

The incident also saw former President Donald Trump be impeached by the House of Representatives on "the charge of incitement of insurrection," becoming the country's first-ever president to be impeached twice.

January 6 Capitol Riot Victims

Here we remember those who lost their lives following the January 6 Capitol riots.

Brian Sicknick

Sicknick, who joined the Capitol police in 2008, was injured while physically engaging with protesters at the Capitol, according to a police statement at the time.

The 42-year-old Iraq War veteran died the following day after collapsing upon returning to his division office. The medical examiner for Washington, D.C. said Sicknick, who suffered two strokes, died of natural causes.

Two men were arrested for allegedly assaulting Sicknick during the riots by spraying a chemical irritant into his eyes and face.

The officer's family released a statement on his death on January 11, describing him as "a lovely, humble soul."

"He loved his job with the U.S. Capitol Police, and was very passionate about it. He also had an incredible work ethic. He was very serious about showing up to work on time and refused to call out sick unless absolutely necessary," the statement said.

memorial-capitol-officer-brian-sicknick.jpg?w=790&f=91991b1ae5777a302e971a57af019488 A memorial seen in Washington, D.C. for Brian Sicknick, the U.S. Capitol police officer who died from injuries following the U.S. Capitol riots in January 2021. Al Drago/Getty Images

Ashli Babbitt

The 35-year-old military veteran was shot by a law enforcement officer while entering the Speaker's Lobby inside the Capitol.

She began climbing through a broken window. Babbitt was shot in the left shoulder by the officer who fired once. She later died from her injuries. Her death was ruled a homicide by Washington, D.C.'s chief medical examiner.

In a statement last April, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C. said an investigation into the shooting found "insufficient evidence" to support a criminal prosecution against the officer who shot Babbitt.

The statement said there was "no evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the officer willfully" committed an unlawful act.

Terrell Roberts, an attorney representing Babbitt's family, rejected the Department of Justice decision. Roberts stated at the time: "The actual evidence is this: the officer shot an unarmed woman who was not an immediate threat to him or any member of Congress. That is inconsistent with any claim of self-defense or the defense of others, period."

Kevin Greeson

The 55-year-old Alabama native and father of five was speaking to his wife on the phone when he fell onto the sidewalk during the Capitol riots.

According to his family, while Greeson was a Trump supporter, "he was not there [at the Capitol] to participate in violence or rioting, nor did he condone such actions."

He died of natural causes from hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, according to the medical examiner.

Benjamin Phillips

According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, Phillips was a 50-year-old computer programmer from Ringtown, Pennsylvania who founded a pro-Trump website.

He drove a van of fellow supporters from Pennsylvania to Washington, D.C., the local newspaper reported.

Phillips also died of natural causes from hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, the medical examiner said.

Roseanne Boyland

According to her family, Boyland (who was among the protesters at the Capitol) aspired to be a sobriety counselor and followed QAnon conspiracies.

The death of the 34-year-old Georgia native—who died from acute amphetamine intoxication—was ruled an accident by Washington, D.C.'s chief medical examiner.

Picture of Rosanne Boyland at the 'Save America Rally' on Wednesday in Washington, D.C. The Kennesaw, Georgia resident would later die as rioters stormed the Capitol Building. @cbs46pic.twitter.com/i1a1Xs6q3M
— Zac Summers (@ZacOnTV) January 7, 2021

Howard Liebengood

Liebengood was among the four police officers who died by suicide following the insurrection.

The 51-year-old took his own life three days after the riot. An official cause of death was not announced but according to his widow, the officer was sleep-deprived in the days following the riots. He took his own life at home after a work shift. A family attorney also confirmed the death was by suicide.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tweeted at the time: "Officer Howard Liebengood was a patriot who dedicated his life to defending the Capitol and protecting all who serve, work in and visit this temple of our Democracy."

Former U.S. secretary of state John Kerry paid homage to Liebengood, who used to guard the door near his office. The former presidential nominee tweeted at the time: "Howie always had a smile on his face, but he also showed great care for the safety of the young staff who worked behind our office doors."

I'll remember Howard Liebengood as a truly friendly Capitol Police officer who always had a smile on his face and a kind word to share, even at 6:45 in the morning.
Tragic.https://t.co/6z3FLaZFPr

— Nancy Cordes (@nancycordes) January 10, 2021

Jeffrey Smith

Smith, from Washington, D.C.'s Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), also died by suicide after the Capitol riots.

During the insurrection, the 35-year-old officer was struck by a metal pole thrown by rioters that hit his helmet and face shield.

His wife Erin told the Washington Post last February that her husband "wasn't the same" in the days following the riots.

Smith was given a short medical leave but was told to return to work despite his wife later saying he was in considerable physical and emotional pain. He took his own life on January 15 last year.

Gunther Hashida

The 43-year-old MPD officer was assigned to the emergency response team within the special operations division and had helped secure the Capitol on January 6, an MPD spokesperson told CNN last August.

Married with three children, Hashida was a week away from celebrating his birthday when he took his own life last July following the Capitol riots.

Last August, the Washington Post reported an unnamed official familiar with the investigation of Hashida's death said the officer had struggles beyond January 6 that could have played a role in his suicide.

DC Metropolitan Police Officer Gunther Hashida, who responded to the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, has taken his own life, the third policeman to die by suicide after facing the Jan 6 assault. He would have turned 44-yrs-old on Thursday, instead, his funeral is Friday pic.twitter.com/Rl59uRrhIT
— Frida Ghitis (@FridaGhitis) August 2, 2021

Kyle DeFreytag

The MPD officer was found dead on July 10 last year and the department confirmed he had died by suicide.

According to People , the 26-year-old officer helped enforce a curfew that was in place after the rioters stormed the Capitol.

According to an obituary, the officer enjoyed hiking, camping and riding his motorcycle as well as traveling and playing the drums and "always knew the best places to eat."

DeFreytag was described as "kind" person with a "quick wit and a great sense of humor," the obituary said.

DC Police tonight confirm Officer Kyle deFreytag (assigned to 5th District) died by suicide July 10th. He is the 4th police officer who defended US Capitol on 1/6 to take his own life ⁦@nbcwashington⁩ pic.twitter.com/hXBKwOWN0M
— Jackie Bensen (@jackiebensen) August 3, 2021

At a press briefing on August 3 last year, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki honored Hashida and DeFreytag.

"I wanted to take a moment to recognize the passing of Metropolitan Police Officer Gunther Hashida and Officer Kyle DeFreytag — two officers who bravely defended the Capitol, both during and after the insurrection on January 6th," Psaki said at the time.

"Their deaths are a sad reminder of that shameful day in our country's history and of the physical and mental scars left on the officers who risked their lives to protect our Capitol and our democracy," she added.

If you have thoughts of suicide, confidential help is available for free at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Call 1-800-273-8255. The line is available 24 hours every day.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

For January 6th Deniers in the rightwing bubble...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Only one murder of an innocent protestor, the rest appear to be unrelated to the events of that day.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

Innocent protestor??   Why make such an obviously false claim?

An innocent protestor would be outside of the Capitol building holding a sign, marching, chanting, etc.   An innocent protestor is not inside the Capitol building climbing through an opening resulting from violent attempts to break down a doorway.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    last year

Regardless, her actions didn’t rise to being shot in the head and murdered by an LEO who gets off Scott free.

Period.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.2    last year

If someone got shot storming a police station, should the officer be charged?

If people stormed a store, should an owner be punished for shooting someone breaking in?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.2    last year
Regardless, her actions didn’t rise to being shot in the head and murdered by an LEO who gets off Scott free.

Do you consider her an "innocent protestor"?   

That was the focal point.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.5  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.4    last year

She was definitely an unarmed protestor, right?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.2    last year
being shot in the head and murdered

she was shot in the head, she was shot in the neck... it would really be nice if the insurrectionist supporters in the right wing media could get their stories straight. she was shot center mass, in the chest, in the heart. she likely died within seconds. it's well documented, as well as her being warned prior. it was a justifiable homicide in the performance of his duty, 3 separate ways.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.3    last year

Got it, you’re fine with an unarmed person getting shot, as long as they are a Trump supporter.

Interesting

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.4    last year

I consider her to be an unarmed American Veteran who didn’t deserve to be murderered.

Do you consider the LEO’s actions to be appropriate?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.1.6    last year

Justifiable homicide?     I love how [deletedjustify] when that is justified and when it is not.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.8    last year

What was Ashley Babbitt trying to do when she was shot? 

Oh I know. Attempting to breach a locked and barricaded door 25 feet from the House of Representatives chamber. Her friends were trying to smash the door down with fists wrapped in cloth. Sounds real peaceful doesnt it? The mob should have stopped when they reached the locked and barricaded door to the Speakers Lobby, which was telling them they werent allowed inside, and it was serious. Babbitt was killed by her and her friends fanaticism. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.7    last year

I just don't understand the hypocrisy regarding this issue. 

Anywhere else that this happened and the right wing would probably be defending the LEO and or the citizen that was under threat.

Yet it happens at the capitol and now it is not alright...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    last year

She was killed by a coward of an LEO.    I guess we are lucky he wasn’t packing an evil black rifle.

[deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.6    last year

The DoJ said left shoulder.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @1.1.11    last year
Anywhere else that this happened and the right wing would probably be defending the LEO and or the citizen that was under threat.

Exactly, and the left wing would probably be defending the protester.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.11    last year

You can’t have it both ways.    Many left wing protestors destroying property and attacking innocents got away with it and didn’t get shot.    I guess they should have been shot and murdered as well eh?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.16  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.1    last year

I wonder what all these "patriots" attitude about this would be if Babbitt and the rest werent white MAGA but were rather Muslims trying to breach House of Representatives security. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.16    last year

[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.15    last year

Why not both ways? Every one else has that going for them.

Between what I and drinker said, it is like on this one instance the roles are reversed.

Fascinating.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.17    last year

Why dont you explain what Ashley Babbitt was doing climbing through that bashed in window. Can you do that? I know what she was doing, do you? 

You seem to believe that because she was a veteran she has some ingrained right to attack our government. 

She was a crackpot conspiracy nut. There is a video of her driving down a street with her eyes off the road looking into a camera making a crazy rant about the government. She could have killed someone that day. 

I dont care if you think she was justified. She was part of a violent assault on our government and she made her own bed and layed in it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.18    last year

It is fascinating .... your attitude is fascinating

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.17    last year

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.19    last year

Justification of murder ..... a partisan left wing trend. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.23  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.20    last year

So is not addressing anything I said...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.21    last year

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.23    last year

Only because your mind is completely closed off to what I’ve said.

That’s okay ..... SOSDD .....

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.25    last year

I have heard what you have said. You think it was unnecessary and more or less homicide.

You have still ignored my question. If a shop keeper can shoot and maybe kill if people are breaking into their business, if people violently stormed a courtroom would people really be upset if one of them was shot.

Why is it happening at the capitol different than if it happened somewhere else?

If it was some antifa group trying to break in, would you really care?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.27  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.9    last year

suicide by cop. good riddance to a Q nut.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.28  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.27    last year

Do you applaud all cop killing of nuts?

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.29  GregTx  replied to  Ender @1.1.26    last year
Why is it happening at the capitol different than if it happened somewhere else?

Exactly, that is the question isn't it? 

If it was some antifa group trying to break in, would you really care?

Would you?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Ender  replied to  GregTx @1.1.29    last year

Probably not to be honest.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.31  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @1.1.5    last year
She was definitely an unarmed protestor, right?

It is just amazing the dodgeball nonsense that some of you play.

Yes, of course she was an unarmed protestor.   That was never in question.

She was also breaking and entering the Capitol building to disrupt the workings of Congress.   Right?

Do you recognize that she was NOT an innocent protestor?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.32  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.8    last year

Why are you unable to bring yourself to correct Greg's ridiculous claim that she was an innocent protestor?

Instead you engage in the boring and pointless game of deflection.

I consider her to be unarmed and engaged in an illegal act of breaking and entering the Capitol to disrupt the proceedings of Congress.   As for appropriateness, from what I understand of standard police procedures she should have been fired upon only if the officer was in danger of being fired upon.   I do not think that is the case.   And I do not personally think she should have been fired upon.   However, I am not going to weigh in on the specific protocol of Capitol police because I frankly do not know the details.    Are you an expert in the protocols under which they are trained?

Now, was she merely an "innocent protestor" as Greg claimed?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.33  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.9    last year

technically she got off easy. since she was a veteran that violated her oath to defend the constitution by participating in a violent act to obstruct a joint session of congress' constitutionally mandated duty in the peaceful transfer of government power, she deserved at least 2 bullets...

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.34  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.31    last year

I never said she was an "innocent" protestor, I said she was an unarmed protestor. That you conflate that speaks volumes. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.35  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.33    last year
technically she got off easy. since she was a veteran

Exactly, death is easier than her alternative.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.36  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @1.1.34    last year

Greg Jones, Greg.   Greg Jones @1.1

His comment is the context.

Do you agree with him?

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.37  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.36    last year

There are no "innocent" protesters in the middle of a riot, are there?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.38  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.31    last year

How is someone who climbs through a bashed in door window an innocent protester?

I have yet to hear any of them answer that question. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.39  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @1.1.37    last year

I too would think being part of a riot means you are not innocent.   

But it is even worse than that.   Being in the Capitol at that time means she not only was part of the riot but entered via the "breaking and entering" of the Capitol.    And when shot she was trying to climb through an opening in a barricade that had been —and was at that very moment— in the process of being broken down by fellow rioters.

I just do not understand what drives people like Greg (Greg Jones @1.1) to claim she was an "innocent protestor".    Why make such an obviously wrong/ridiculous claim in a public forum?   To what end?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.40  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.35    last year
Exactly, death is easier than her alternative.

she listened to an insurrectionist POTUS, then she forgot which end of the barrel she was supposed to be standing in front of and now her Q-nut mom is cashing in on it.

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
1.1.41  dennissmith  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.15    last year

The "protesters" who burned cities, killed people, attacked police, looted stores across America a couple of years ago were not called rioters and nothing was done to hold them accountabile for their actions. 

Now some on the left say this woman deserved to be killed for doing far less.

The lefts double standards continues.  

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
1.1.42  dennissmith  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.16    last year

Racist comment 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.43  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  dennissmith @1.1.42    last year

Are you surprised?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.44  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  dennissmith @1.1.41    last year
The "protesters" who burned cities, killed people, attacked police, looted stores across America a couple of years ago were not called rioters and nothing was done to hold them accountabile for their actions. 

We can't forget that even the VP called for people to step up and provide bail money for the rioters.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.45  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.16    last year

I wonder if all these leftist "patriots" wouldn't be calling for the LEO's head since they shot an unarmed Muslim minority. Of course they would.

Here is a more complete video of the shooting.

Notice that Barney Fife has his gun drawn and pointed the entire damn time. None of the security behind him does. The 3 security that are blocking the doors get pulled because the riot squad is coming down the hall to clear it (none of them had weapons drawn either). Guess their superiors were smart enough not to want them between rioters and the heavily armed riot squad members in full tactical gear coming down the hall to clear it. Once the security is gone the door is breached; and Babbitt attempts to pass through. With no warning Barney Fife shot her. Sure as shit shocked the riot squad who dropped in place. Barney even gets a riot squad officer with a real assault rifle to point it at him. Luckily for Barney this LEO knew procedure and checked to see who it was- instead of just capping him. He actually has to tell Barney twice to lower his weapon. 

Great hero the Democrats and leftists picked. A pathetic coward that wasn't smart enough to know that all of the Congress critters had already been vacated behind him. Was the only security with weapon drawn (the entire damn time). And didn't know a fully armed riot team was coming down the hall. Lowering the level of hero to nothing; just like the standard of impeachment.

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
1.1.46  dennissmith  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.43    last year

Not at all surprised. 

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
1.1.47  dennissmith  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.44    last year

The VP performance to date is a nothing burger

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.48  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  dennissmith @1.1.47    last year

There's a reason her Presidential bid sank faster than the Titanic.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.49  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.45    last year

If you are in the Capitol building as part of an angry mob that is actively breaking down a doorway to allow the mob to reach deeper into the Capitol you will be at risk of getting shot.     

If your mob is shouting that the officers have guns on the other side while your mob is is actively breaking down a doorway, it would be wise to assume the officers on the other side of the doorway might fire at those attempting to get in.

Breaking down Capital doorways to enter the Speaker's Lobby is serious, serious business.  This is no game.   This is not a fraternity prank.   The mob was engaged in deadly serious acts that would be met with deadly force.

Although I think the officer should have fired a warning shot, that does not change the fact that Babbitt stupidly put herself in harm's way.     They all stupidly put themselves in harm's way.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.50  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.45    last year
Notice that Barney Fife has his gun drawn and pointed the entire damn time. None of the security behind him does. The 3 security that are blocking the doors get pulled because the riot squad is coming down the hall to clear it (none of them had weapons drawn either).

Possible Barney was looking to kill somebody.  Premeditation?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.51  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.6    last year

The article clearly states she was shot in the shoulder

Babbitt was shot in the left shoulder by the officer who fired once. She later died from her injuries. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.52  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.50    last year

You can come up with wild speculation all day long.   What is NOT speculation is that an agitated mob was breaking down the doorway to the Speaker's Lobby inside the Capitol of the USA while armed guards were on the other side pointing their weapons.

If you were one of those individuals breaking glass and battering the door, would you be entirely unaware of what you were doing and the potential consequences of your actions?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.53  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.52    last year

You can come up with wild speculation all day long.

Probably could.  And the rest of your comment shows you can speculate as well.  Good for you!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.54  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.53    last year

There is no speculation in my comment.    You can see exactly what I described in videos of the mob in action.

If you were one of those individuals breaking glass and battering the door, would you be entirely unaware of what you were doing and the potential consequences of your actions?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.55  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.52    last year
armed guards were on the other side pointing their weapons.

I guess you didn't watch the video in 1.1.45. One gun, the shooter, was pointed.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.56  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.54    last year
There is no speculation in my comment.

There's also an absence of anything backing it up.  Making it speculation.  For all you know, those who participated in the protest expected Kamala Harris to ask people to donate to pay their bail.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.57  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.55    last year

Okay, Jim, one guard.   Not guard(s).

You ignored the point to cherrypick.

What is NOT speculation is that an agitated mob was breaking down the doorway to the Speaker's Lobby inside the Capitol of the USA while an armed guard was on the other side pointing his weapon.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.58  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.57    last year
You ignored the point to cherrypick.

That kind of rendered your "point" moot.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.59  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.57    last year

I can still only shake my head. Any other time and any other place and most of the people defending the woman would care less.

They are dragging her name around as a political football.

To what end I still don't understand.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.60  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @1.1.26    last year

You do misunderstand me.    

I speak of an ever present left wing double standard.    I never defended violent protestors actions.    Jan 6th protestors or otherwise.    Although Babbits action were much more benign than rioters/looters that got away with assault or worse, she still was acting unlawfully.    Just like rioter/looters.

The question remains why many here believe deadly force was justifiable in Babbitt case but not with rioters and looters.

I error on the side that EVERYONE has a right to protect themselves from violence.    If Babbitt actions rose the level of getting shot, so should the actions of many of the rioters and looters the left defends.

No more complicated than that but it highlights the hypocrisy of left wing logic.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.61  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.51    last year

meh, whatever. still closer to her chest than the alt-right media neck and head shot claimers. nonetheless, both of her eyes should have been blown out the back of her skull...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.62  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.1.27    last year

Cool .... then time to start whacking and stacking antifa turds who are looking for the same thing.    

Suicide by law abiding citizen.    

Works for me.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.63  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.62    last year

bfd. anyone that breaches the capitol on that day should be a target.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.64  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1.61    last year

My comment was to clarify to those who insisted she was shot in the head...which I read in comments that were copied from their comments.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.65  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.1.63    last year

Agreed, I’ll adopt the left wing tactic for that.    Any piece of shit that riots/loots and causes private/public property damage should get their shit spread to the wind.    Any and all.

Yippe ki yay ... 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.66  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.64    last year

So what?    Is she any less dead?

No

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.67  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.60    last year
rioters and looters

I think that is where it gets muddled. A lot of people, myself included, think the actual protestors had a valid point.

The ones that used the occasion to start fires or vandalism or worse are not defended by me or a lot of others.

Some of them were nothing more than opportunists, ready to exploit.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.68  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.1.67    last year

Yes, I agree the protesters did have a point. The looters and rioters should have been rounded up and given a 30 day stay in jail

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.69  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.58    last year

My point is independent of the number of guns.

You are yet again deflecting as part of your standard practice of never standing up and directly answer my challenges.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.70  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.50    last year

Possible Barney was looking to kill somebody.  Premeditation?

[deleted]

I love how the right defends Babbitt knowing that if someone broke into their house, they would be blasting away. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.71  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.70    last year

Especially this crowd. They all talk about their guns like their guns are their penises

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.72  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.68    last year

I think it is weird and a lot of irony about it. Here we had Black citizens protesting bias if not outright racism and a lot of the people causing the problems during the protests were White people....

At least it seemed that way to me.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.73  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.60    last year
You do misunderstand me.

Actually I do. (understand)

I see your point. Like I said earlier, it is the dems now on the side of the LEO and the reps on the side of the one killed.

We are in bizzarro world where things are backwards.... Haha

I do agree that the dems can be hypocritical. Yet isn't most of congress really...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.74  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.1.73    last year

We're on the side of law and order???? Turn this bus around!!!!

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.75  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.74    last year

Laws? We don't need no stinkin laws....(my libertarian side trying to come out)

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.76  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.69    last year
My point is independent of the number of guns.

You're right.  It's your credibility that's in the crapper.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.77  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.70    last year

[Removed for context]

[deleted]

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.78  afrayedknot  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.71    last year

“They all talk about their guns…”

And the excuses they make; is it long and black? is it an ‘assault’ rifle? is it military grade?

The questions that need to be asked: should these weapons be readily available? should the purchase of these weapons require stringent regulation? should the manufacture of these weapons be banned? 

Give them a pistol, a shotgun, a rifle…in what world do they require a weapon that does not already meet their requirements…

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.79  Trout Giggles  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.78    last year

They look scary but those supposedly assault rifles are really no more than .22s. We have one

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.80  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.79    last year

1901....Speak softly and carry a big stick.

2023...Yell and scream and strap on a gun.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.81  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.79    last year

I actually don't have a gun. I know how to shoot and handle, I just never got one or felt the need really.

If I did I think I would want a shotgun. Talk about stopping someone at the door...

Just hear that click click....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.82  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.76    last year

You can come up with wild speculation all day long.   What is NOT speculation is that an agitated mob was breaking down the doorway to the Speaker's Lobby inside the Capitol of the USA while armed guards were on the other side pointing their weapons.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.83  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.82    last year
You can come up with wild speculation all day long. 

As I said in 1.1.53Probably could.  And the rest of your comment shows you can speculate as well.  Good for you!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.84  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.83    last year

Odd that you seem afraid to stand up and answer even the most basic of questions.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.1.85  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.84    last year

He won't answer.  He'll just deflect. That's what he does.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.86  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.84    last year
Odd that you seem

Odd you keep talking in circles.

But to answer your pointless question - I would expect Kamala Harris to help post my bail as she did for the rioters in Minneapolis.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.87  TᵢG  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.1.85    last year

Demonstrably!

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.1.88  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.87    last year

See nothing but a deflection.  LOL

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.89  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.86    last year

Your 'answer' did not answer my question.   

Yet another deflection from a very easy-to-understand question.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.90  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.82    last year

Gee, what a stark contrast from the standard that Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake set in 2015 when there was rioting in Baltimore. For those who forgot, she made the famous declaration:

"I made it very clear that I work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protestors were able to exercise their right to free speech. It's a very delicate balancing act. Because while we try to make sure that they were protected from the cars and other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well."

That doctrine continued to be used by progressive democrat mayors throughout the riots of 2020 when two dozen people were killed. Suddenly now when it involves protestors on the right, the doctrine is to use deadly force, as well as denying the accused a speedy trial and in general, destroying lives. 

Beyond that all the never let up on Jan 6th assholes have been nothing less than brownshirts playing politics.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.91  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.89    last year

Sounds like a you problem.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.92  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.90    last year

Don't you just LOVE the hypocrisy of it all?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.93  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.92    last year

Hypocrisy is just the begining.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.94  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.93    last year

And it's coming to light in a lot of different areas.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.95  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.94    last year

Oh yes! There is the scheming & conniving too. I don't know why they think they're smart. I forsee a few bubbles bursting!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.96  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.90    last year
Gee, what a stark contrast from the standard that Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake set in 2015 when there was rioting in Baltimore. For those who forgot, she made the famous declaration:

My comment was about how a person should operate if they were part of a mob that was breaking glass and battering the door within the Capitol.

Did you mean to reply to someone else?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.97  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.45    last year

What the heck were looking at?

First of all, that was a locked and barricaded door. NO ONE should have been attempting to go through the "window".  Thats the end of it. 

Secondly, for seven seconds prior to Babbitt going through the window her friends are yelling "he's got a gun". That is warning to any sane person. 

Third, the IMMEDIATE threat to the cop and the House floor occurred when the three guys you call "security" left (right after being told by the mob they would get hurt if they didnt). That is when the bashing in of the door became frantic and more violent. 

Nothing you said in your comment changes a damn thing. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.98  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.49    last year

I have asked all of these insurrectionist fans what the mob was there to do and what they would have done if they got into the House floor with members still there. 

No answer from any of them. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.99  afrayedknot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.98    last year

“No answer from any of them.”

And there will never be an answer. The only thing to do is to continue to ask the questions. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.100  JohnRussell  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.99    last year
The only thing to do is to continue to ask the questions

Not in my opinion. This should be a settled issue not worth further discussion. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.101  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.65    last year
Any piece of shit that riots/loots and causes private/public property damage should get their shit spread to the wind

to agree, I'll amendment your statement to include anyone besides LE showing up armed to a protest on public/gov't property.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.102  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @1.1.81    last year
If I did I think I would want a shotgun. Talk about stopping someone at the door...

That's what I having sitting by my front door. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.103  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.64    last year

if she would've been shot in the head, all the big lie protesters behind her in the hall would've been selling ashli babbitt souvenirs online the next day...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.104  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.102    last year

nothing better for motivating an aggressor than an unplugged 12ga semi auto. #2 buckshot please.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.105  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.98    last year

Not a surprise.   Many are here to simply express their partisan emotions and run away from any logical challenge to what they claim.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.106  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.96    last year
My comment was about how a person should operate if they were part of a mob that was breaking glass and battering the door within the Capitol.

But that's exactly the problem.  

Rioters should either expect to be shot, or they shouldn't.  

People who attack government buildings and attempt to attack government officials should either expect to be shot, or they shouldn't.

It can't only matter when one group of people does it.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.107  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.104    last year

That’s what VP Biden advised Jill to do, “Just walk out on the VP House balcony with a 12 gauge and give two blasts”,

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.108  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.102    last year

Do you in an area with a high, violent crime rate?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.109  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.106    last year
People who attack government buildings and attempt to attack government officials should either expect to be shot, or they shouldn't.

Indeed.   And the answer is that they should realize that they have put themselves at risk of being shot.

This is so obvious, why do some have so much difficulty acknowledging this obvious reality?

It can't only matter when one group of people does it.

Of course not.   What ideology drives the mob has nothing whatsoever to do with this.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.110  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.90    last year
all the never let up on Jan 6th assholes

The assholes are all the idiots that precipitated 1/6/2021. No, true patriots that respect our capitol and its institutions will never let up when the assholes try to dismiss this vile event.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.111  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.110    last year

Well Pat, you'll have to excuse me, but all this talk about assholes is beneath my pay grade.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.112  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.111    last year

Just using your words, Vic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.113  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.112    last year

They just hate that Pat!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.114  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @1.1.67    last year

That has been my feeling all along about the legitimate protests/protestors and those who used the occasion to do those criminal acts have never been defended by anyone with a lick of sense and those who committed criminal acts should not be lumped in with the legitimate protestors

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.115  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.71    last year

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gifso true!  I call them their penis extensions

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.116  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.90    last year

Please don't speak on things you don't know anything about.

I worked near there and lived through it

You're clueless on what happened in Baltimore and . . . . . .  . . . .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.117  JohnRussell  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.110    last year

The right, aka MAGA, are trying relentlessly to normalize the insurrectonists.  Shame on them. 

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.1.118  goose is back  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.82    last year
Speaker's Lobby inside the Capitol of the USA while armed guards were on the other side pointing their weapons.

You say that as if they were out in front with guns drawn at the ready where the protesters could see them.  Which is absolutely false.  The officer was hiding in a doorway, had he made himself know with weapon drawn we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.119  TᵢG  replied to  goose is back @1.1.118    last year

Okay, pretend that no armed guards were in the vicinity.

If you were inside our Capitol and were breaking down windows and doors to get closer to the members of Congress, would you NOT be concerned that you might be shot?

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.1.120  goose is back  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.119    last year
Okay, pretend that no armed guards were in the vicinity.

Are you changing how the situation went down?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.121  Tessylo  replied to  goose is back @1.1.120    last year

No.  Where did you get that from?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.122  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.40    last year

I’ll reread this as I try to find your point, you’ve camouflaged it well.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.123  TᵢG  replied to  goose is back @1.1.120    last year

No, Goosie, I am removing your objection.   Instead of guns (your objection) I made it zero guns.   If you wish, we can go with one gun.   Either way it does not matter.   The presence or absence of guns do not change the point.

My point has been that anyone with normal intelligence would know that they were putting their life at risk if they were in a mob breaking down a doorway inside our Capitol to get to our members of congress.   Even if no guns were present (or visible).

To wit:

If you were inside our Capitol and were breaking down windows and doors to get closer to the members of Congress, would you NOT be concerned that you might be shot?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.124  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.109    last year
What ideology drives the mob has nothing whatsoever to do with this.

Exactly. 

But that is not the prevailing thought process, and that's the problem.

Riots, and in some cases insurrection, consumed most of 2020.  Yet many Democrats enabled, encouraged and even endorsed the behavior.  

But as soon as the rioting was done by someone other than their supporters, it became a national emergency.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.125  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.124    last year
But that is not the prevailing thought process, and that's the problem.

The 'prevailing thought process' always seems to be politically tainted.

Riots, and in some cases insurrection, consumed most of 2020.  Yet many Democrats enabled, encouraged and even endorsed the behavior.  

No riot or violence is acceptable.   Peaceful protests, lawsuits, use of the web, voting, consumer spending, etc. is how change (mind-share) should be effected.

But as soon as the rioting was done by someone other than their supporters, it became a national emergency.

Us vs. them.   Emotional and irrational.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    last year

So one person killed by the Capitol police and people who died of natural causes or suicides that may or may not have anything to do with that day.

Believe the medical examiners...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    last year

Sanctimonious, partisan crocodile tears from our friends on the left.    They left out a couple LEO’s who lost their lives that day:

Deputy Sheriff Jonathan David Price

Marion County Sheriff's Office, SC

EOW: Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Cause: Automobile crash

And

Police Officer Jaymes Robert Hughes

Kalispel Tribal Police Department, TR

EOW: Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Cause: Heart attack

Nothing political to gain from recognizing them though

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4  Wishful_thinkin    last year

Everyone knows that if you break into a room with a locked and barricaded door you get rewarded with cookies and milk.  Sarc.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4    last year

I wanna go on break-ins with you

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.1  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    last year

Lol.  It seems thats what conservatives believe though.  Ashley should have been met with milk, cookies and a comfy blanket instead of being shot while breaking and entering.  I keep saying that she was shot because of her own choices.  Let someone try to break into my home the same way and the same thing will happen to them that happened to Ashli. I won't wait to see if they're armed or not either. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.1    last year

You don't have to wait and see if they're armed, either. That's the law...something about Castle Domain?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Ender  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.1    last year

At least Santa leaves some presents after he breaks in and eats all the cookies...jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.4  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    last year

Oh, I know it.  I'm just being a wise ass since conservatives all of sudden think they deserve some kind of a pass for breaking and entering.    

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Ender  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.4    last year
just being a wise ass

Welcome to the club. Just know that memberships encompass all political stripes....Some of us are better at it than others.

Some people do get kicked out or demoted though, because they lost track of being a true wise ass and end up just being an ass...

(ring is in the mail)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4.1.5    last year

I'm still waiting on mine....

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.6    last year

Sometimes they make you pick it up yourself in a Cracker-Jack box. It is kinda like a decoder ring.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    last year
something about Castle Domain?

it's called the make my day law in colorado. step across my threshold or reach thru my car window without permission. *>ka-boom<*

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    last year

I just made some chocolate chip cookies and washed some of the freshly baked melty chocolate goodness down with some ice cold milk

When will you ladies be here?

We have a failed coup to get to so come on over!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    last year

Castle Doctrine I think

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.10    last year

That's what it is. Thanks!