╌>

Kyrsten Sinema reveals why she left Democratic Party

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  20 comments

By:   Washington Examiner

Kyrsten Sinema reveals why she left Democratic Party
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema revealed frustrations with Democrats' behavior over the last two years pushed her to leave the party.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-AZ) revealed what prompted her to leave the Democratic Party last year, noting it was a declaration of her own independence from a "deeply broken two-party system."

During a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum on Tuesday, Sinema revealed that she has long considered herself to be an independent lawmaker. However, it was the increasingly divided political realm that has emerged over the last two years that pushed her to break free from party affiliation, she said.

"Those who know me know that I was always an independent voice and always have been for the things that I believe in and for my state and for my country," said Sinema, who left the Democratic Party on Dec. 9. "What you've heard about partisanship, I believe, is accurate. … Jan. 6, which is a horrible day from two years ago, created, I think, concern and fear for every patriotic American across the country."

Sinema is asked at Davos about leaving the Democratic Party. She criticizes Dems for trying to change filibuster rules and pass voting rights legislation. She calls Kevin McCarthy "a dear friend of mine." pic.twitter.com/9D5WOsoiRv — Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) January 17, 2023

However, Democrats' response to the Jan. 6 attack at the Capitol disappointed Sinema, prompting her to leave.

"But in the resulting two years, the Democratic Party shared a narrative that said, 'We would not have any more free and fair elections in this country if the United States Congress didn't eliminate the filibuster and pass a massive voting rights package,'" Sinema said. "As we all know, the filibuster was not eliminated. … That massive voting rights bill was not passed through Congress. And then we had a free and fair election all across the country [in 2022]."

Sinema was referring to a string of legislative proposals Democrats sought to pass in the last Congress to eliminate the filibuster in the Senate and to implement a massive overhaul of voting rights nationwide. However, Democrats were unable to eliminate the Senate filibuster after failing to garner the support of Sinema and centrist Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV).

But, Sinema argued, Democrats didn't need either of those things to ensure a successful midterm cycle.

"Most election deniers lost across the country, and individuals of both political parties, some extreme, some moderate, won. So we had a free and fair election," Sinema said. "One could posit that the push by one political party to eliminate an important guardrail in an institution of our country may have been premature or overreaching in order to get the short-term victories they wanted."

However, Republicans struggle with similar problems, Sinema said, pointing to the party's struggle to elect House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) during the lower chamber's leadership elections earlier this month.

"We saw the House of Representatives struggle for multiple days in a row as Kevin McCarthy, a dear friend of mine, had to continue conceding point after point after point to the radical Right of the GOP to a point where he's now in an unenviable position," Sinema said. "Those are just two examples of the pull that you see political parties giving in order to get everything they want."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

It's not about ideology.

It's all about politics in Arizona and getting re-elected. 

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Stick with getting re-elected and the funding needed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    last year

No one cares about Kyrsten Sinema . She will be primaried out of office anyway. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year
t Kyrsten Sinema . She will be primaried out of office anyway. 

How is that possible? She's an independent. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year
No one cares about Kyrsten Sinema

Seems awfully strange, then, that so many Democrats had VERY vocal opinions about someone YOU claim no one cares about.

Sure did a lot of whining and accusing her of sabotaging Biden's "plans".

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2    last year
eems awfully strange, then, that so many Democrats had VERY vocal opinions about someone YOU claim no one cares about.

"no one cares" translates into  "its something that makes democrats looks bad. "   It's a card that gets played all the time. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

"No one" seems to be your euphemism for the left.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

Don't bet on it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

She might wise up and run as a Republican...probably win.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.5.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.5    last year

Not in her district.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.5.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Greg Jones @2.5    last year

Now that would be funny!

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.5.3  Hallux  replied to  Ozzwald @2.5.1    last year
Not in her district.

She does not have a district, she is statewide.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.5.4  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @2.5    last year

Especially since Kari Lake is making noise about running for the Senate seat on the Republican side.  Don't know who the the Dem's will put up but against Lake I would definitely vote for Sinema.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.5.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @2.5.4    last year

Likewise.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.5.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Snuffy @2.5.4    last year

It will be a three way race.. Likely the Dem Gallegos, Sinema and maybe Lake.

Get ready for Senator Lake with 40% of the vote.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.5.7  Snuffy  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.5.6    last year
Dem Gallegos

Sorry, who?  Do you mean mayor Kate Gallego, Phoenix mayor  or Ruben Gallego, US House of Representatives for the 3rd Congressional District of Arizona?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.5.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Snuffy @2.5.7    last year
you mean mayor Kate Gallego, Phoenix mayor  or Ruben Gallego, US House of Representatives for the 3rd Congressional District of Arizona?

I believe Ruben Gallego is the heavy favorite on the dem side. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.5.9  Snuffy  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.5.8    last year
I believe Ruben Gallego is the heavy favorite on the dem side. 

Thanks for the clarification.  yes, Ruben Gallego will probably be the Democrat choice but I don't know if he's all that heavy a favorite in the general.  A lot would depend on who get in on the Republican side.  There are a lot of Republicans and Independents who will not vote for Lake and Gallego is too far left for the general Arizona voter.  It would be an interesting race to be sure.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.5.10  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @2.5.9    last year

Did some more research and I think it will be an interesting election cycle.  Sinema's major support is south in the Tucson area where as Gallego is central Phoenix.  There may be enough action to just split the Democrat vote and allow a Republican to claim victory.  I think it would be a real shame if Lake is the Republican candidate, I just don't want to see her elected.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.5.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @2.5.10    last year

I did not vote Lake as governor in 2022 and I certainly would not vote her as Senator in 2024. I will vote for Sinema. Just as a side note, I wish Raul Grijalva would hurry up and retire. That guy has been homesteading in the 7th AZ Congressional District of Tucson and just keeps getting reelected and reelected without really accomplishing much of anything. The majority of people in Cochise County cannot stand the guy.