╌>

Texas Republican Introduces Bill Calling for Secession Referendum - Rolling Stone

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilgenius  •  last year  •  43 comments

By:   Nikki McCann Ramirez (Rolling Stone)

Texas Republican Introduces Bill Calling for Secession Referendum  - Rolling Stone
Texas state Rep. Bryan Slaton has introduced a bill that would place a referendum for Texas' secession from the United States on the 2024 ballot.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Nikki McCann Ramirez

View all posts by Nikki McCann Ramirez March 6, 2023 lazyload-fallback.gif The U.S. and Texas state flags fly over the state Capitol building on July 12, 2021 in Austin, Texas.

Texas state Rep. Bryan Slaton has introduced a bill that would place a referendum for Texas' secession from the United States on the 2024 ballot. H.B. 3596 would allow Texans to vote on "whether or not the State should investigate the possibility of Texas independence, and present potential plans to the Legislature."

In a statement released on Twitter, Slaton wrote that "after decades of continuous abuse of our rights and liberties by the federal government, it is time to let the people of Texas make their voices heard."

Today, I filed HB 3596, which is commonly known as the "Texas Independence Referendum Act," or TEXIT
If passed, it will place a referendum on the ballot during the next general election, allowing the people of Texas to vote on whether or not the State https://t.co/WWnGUi4btL… https://t.co/KyfozJMRc4pic.twitter.com/OJbrWySnWa

— Bryan Slaton (@BryanforHD2) March 6, 2023

If the referendum were to succeed, it would establish a committee tasked with investigating "the feasibility of independence from the Union and propose options and potential plans

for independence to the Texas Legislature." The state representative included a petition supporting the bill's passage in his announcement of the proposal.

Slaton has been at the center of various hardline conservative legislative proposals in Texas. He has introduced bills attempting to make abortion a criminal offense punishable by death, proposed rules to block Texas Democrats from holding committee chairmanships, floated tax benefits for heterosexual couples, and introduced measures to criminalize gender-affirming health care for minors.

Throughout its history as an independent republic, then annexed territory-turned-state, calls for Texas' independence have remained constant. However, following the defeat of the confederacy in the Civil War, the 1869 Supreme Court case Texas v. White established that a state could not unilaterally secede from the nation. Despite the clear cut laws surrounding the territorial integrity of the United States, in 2022 the state's Republican convention called for a referendum similar to the one proposed by Slaton.

Slaton's suggestion of a "Texit" referendum comes on the heels of U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's call for a "national divorce." The Georgia representative began pushing for an official split between red states and blue states in February. The nonsensical proposal essentially calls for one-party rule in every state, while maintaining a skeletal federal government to enforce borders and military defense. Greene went so far as to propose that Democrats who moved to "red" states be barred from voting for five years.

While Greene's fantasy misunderstands virtually every aspect of how representative government operates — particularly that most states are not wholly conservative or wholly liberal — the GOP's growing interest in cleaving the country apart speaks to how far they're willing to go to impose their ideology, or, as Greene put it recently, to create "safe spaces" for conservatives.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    last year

Another year and another call by someone in Texas politics that calls for secession. It's not like this will ever happen, but it does rile up the base and raise money from gullible marks. I mean they've been talking about it since the South lost the last civil war, but I don't think they have a clue how badly this would go for them if the US actually allowed them go... 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @1    last year

If there ever was secession, some of these states would make life so miserable for minorities that they would leave and the state would achieved the desired "purity', both demographically and ideologically. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    last year

Wow....quite a speculative conspiracy theory you've got there!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @1    last year

Meh, they have a GDP higher than Canada, Australia, Russia, etc as of 2017.

They would be fine.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @1.2    last year
They would be fine.

I'm not so sure they would be. It wasn't all fun and roses for Brexit and they already were an independent country.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    last year

Oh I agree it would be very challenging.    Much more so than the dimbulb politicians who propose it understand but Texas has everything it needs to be independent if they wanted.

Good GDP, diverse and top business rating, deep water ports, etc, etc.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.2    last year

... dipshit fascist majorlty running the gov't ...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.4  seeder  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.2    last year
Good GDP, diverse and top business rating, deep water ports, etc, etc.

All of that would have to be renegotiated with the rest of the world. Perhaps they would get lucky and Texas and the US would trade like Ireland and N Ireland, but it's not a given. If things go bad all things made in Asia would have to go around through Panama and that adds costs. Britain lost businesses at the beginning of Brexit and since many small businesses have gone bust. I was there last spring and people were not happy with the steep rise in prices caused by Brexit and COVID. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.3    last year

You clearly wouldn’t know what a real fascist is under the best of circumstances.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.3    last year
dipshit fascist majorlty running the gov't .

What an utterly moronic statement.

SMMFH

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
1.2.7  RU4Real  replied to  evilone @1.2.4    last year

100% correct.  Some actually want a "do-over" / "can we come back" vote.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @1    last year
Another year and another call by someone in Texas politics that calls for secession. It's not like this will ever happen,

You understand the situation exactly.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3    last year
You understand the situation exactly.

It's getting more and more whacky out there in politics and either civil war breaks out OR someone finally tells the populists to sit down and shut up. I'm fairly confident it'll be the latter, buy wouldn't want to put money on it today.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @1.3.1    last year
I'm fairly confident it'll be the latter, buy wouldn't want to put money on it today.

Again, you understand the situation exactly.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    last year

apparently not enough texas confederates ended up taking dirt naps 160+ years ago...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2    last year
apparently not enough texas confederates ended up taking dirt naps 160+ years ago...

Dumbass comment.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    last year

We've come to expect that from that source.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2    last year

So more Democrats should have died in the Civil War.

Isn't it nice when we can agree on one thing?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    last year
Throughout its history as an independent republic, then annexed territory-turned-state, calls for Texas' independence have remained constant. However, following the defeat of the confederacy in the Civil War, the 1869 Supreme Court case Texas v. White established that a state could not unilaterally secede from the nation.

Sooo....

...does anyone think trmp's SCOTUS will hear another argument about Texas withdrawing from the Union?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    last year
does anyone think trmp's SCOTUS will hear another argument about Texas withdrawing from the Union?

People familiar with governmental workings know that the SC isn't Trump's.

They will not be hearing arguments in any mythical case yet to be even brought before them.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    last year
Slaton wrote that "after decades of continuous abuse of our rights and liberties by the federal government

For example?

He has introduced bills attempting to make abortion a criminal offense punishable by death

Geezus, what a lunatic.

most states are not wholly conservative or wholly liberal

Yeah, and I think the secessionist nutbags might find that even Texas is not as conservative as they think. I don’t think the resolution will pass. But even if it did, what are these people going to do about Austin? Houston? San Antonio? El Paso? Laredo? Dallas? 

Every one of those cities now leans Democrat, and this is where the bulk of Texans live.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @4    last year
Geezus, what a lunatic.

lunacy sells these days, I guess.

I don’t think the resolution will pass.

I don't think it will pass either, but it might win him re-election.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Tacos! @4    last year
I think the secessionist nutbags might find that even Texas is not as conservative as they think.

Texas is far less conservative than many other "red" states.  

That said, it's not uncommon for us to have a secession bill brought to the state legislature.  It's kind of our version of "Medicare for all"... a moronic thing that will never pass, would be a calamitous disaster, and is only ever backed by raving extremists, but they come out faithfully every so often to push it again.  Everybody rolls their eyes and then goes back to reality.  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.2.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2    last year

“Texas is far less conservative than many other "red" states.”

Agreed.

Hell, boebert is my congressional representative. The crazy crosses all borders but infects everything in its spreading of fear, and counting on the collective ignorance in playing upon those fears. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  afrayedknot @4.2.1    last year
Hell, boebert is my congressional representative.

Ooooh.   My condolences.

The crazy crosses all borders but infects everything in its spreading of fear, and counting on the collective ignorance in playing upon those fears. 

I think you hit the nail there with the word "ignorance".  It's interesting how there don't seem to be many left-wingers with math degrees and there don't seem to be many right-wingers with science degrees.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2    last year
Texas is far less conservative than many other "red" states.

Some of the stuff that goes on Idaho these days makes Texas look downright leftist.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.2    last year

I had to vote you up on that one. You insulted both sides in one sentence. And it's funny

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.3    last year

Come to Arkansas if you want to see right wing crazy

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.4    last year
I had to vote you up on that one. You insulted both sides in one sentence. And it's funny

Thanks.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.5    last year
Come to Arkansas if you want to see right wing crazy

Meh.  I think I'll pass.

It's kinda like going to Arkansas for really good TexMex.  I've had really good TexMex in Arkansas, but it's everywhere here in Dallas and you don't have to drive 4 hours.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.7    last year

I have only one restaurant here that I like for Tex Mex and it's relatively new. All the rest are blah...no seasoning.

But you're right about good Tex Mex in Texas

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.8    last year

We ate at Diablo's in Hot Springs last time we were there.  I thought it was really good.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5  TOM PA    last year

I'd be concerned about the full faith and credit of the Texan Peso/Dollar.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    last year

Bye...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     last year
Slaton has been at the center of various hardline conservative legislative proposals in Texas. He has introduced bills attempting to make abortion a criminal offense punishable by death, proposed rules to block Texas Democrats from holding committee chairmanships, floated tax benefits for heterosexual couples, and introduced measures to criminalize gender-affirming health care for minors.

Seems that Mr. Slaton is adept at introducing bills that will never pass. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Kavika @7    last year
He has introduced bills attempting to make abortion a criminal offense punishable by death

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Pro Life   +   Pro Capital Punishment   =   Texas GOP

How much do you want to bet that they don't even see the irony in their stance?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1    last year

you obviously know little to nothing about the Texas GOP.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @7.1    last year
How much do you want to bet that they don't even see the irony in their stance?

Do you find them equivalent?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.2    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

freepress
Freshman Silent
8  freepress    last year

Well what happens to all the military in Texas and those serving America in every state and around the world? Does Texas intend on recalling all active military members from their state to serve only Texas? After all the "support our troops" rhetoric they don't even remotely understand what secession would entail. Economically what is the comprehensive plan to divorce America? Will they all burn their American flags? Will they build the wall around the entire state so all commerce, travel and tourism would require a New Texas passport? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  freepress @8    last year

Please be realistic and realize that the bill would never pass.

There is no need for the Democratic histrionics.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  freepress @8    last year
Will they build the wall around the entire state so all commerce, travel and tourism would require a New Texas passport? 

Why would they? Their southern border now has been allowed to be exploited. Same deal with Texas and the rest of the nation could be applied.