╌>

Biden washing machine rule would make Americans dirtier and stinkier — and raise prices: manufacturers | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   Matteo Cina (Fox News)

Biden washing machine rule would make Americans dirtier and stinkier — and raise prices: manufacturers | Fox News
President Biden's Department of Energy proposed new efficiency standards for washing machines to use considerably less water, all in an effort to "confront the global climate crisis."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

closeVideo

AOC goes on Instagram rant over gas stoves

'The Big Saturday Show' panelists weigh in on Fed official expressing concern that heavy electric vehicles could be 'dangerous' and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's rant over gas stoves.

Last month, President Biden's Department of Energy proposed new efficiency standards for washing machines that require new appliances to use considerably less water, all in an effort to "confront the global climate crisis."

Leading industry corporations have voiced their opinion on the rule, claiming the mandates force manufacturers to reduce cleaning performance to ensure their machines comply. As the Washington Free Beacon described it, "each cycle will take longer, the detergent will cost more, and in the end, the clothes will be less clean," according to manufacturers.

The proposed washing machine change is the latest example of the Biden administration pushing more consumer regulations to advance green initiatives. In February, the administration received heat for a proposal which would have banned half of America's gas stoves in addition to another proposal to heavily regulate refrigerators.

5 WAYS BIDEN IS STILL COMING FOR YOUR GAS STOVE

Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm hosts news conference in Washington, D.C., Dec. 13, 2022.(Reuters/Mary F. Calver/File Photo)

"Like many efficiency standards, the government claims that although these standards will raise the cost of appliances, they are justified because they will reduce consumer spending on energy and water even more. Of course, if that were true, consumers would likely buy more efficient appliances anyway, given that studies show consumers consider energy and water costs," American Enterprise Institute Senior Fellow James Coleman told Fox News Digital. "If consumers do fully consider what they will pay on energy in their individual circumstances, then the standards would, on-net, harm consumers."

"This proposal builds on the more than 110 actions the Biden-Harris administration took in 2022 to strengthen energy efficiency standards and save the average family at least $100 annually through lower energy bills," the Department of Energy said in a press release. "Collectively these energy efficiency actions will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by more than 2.4 billion metric tons, save consumers $570 billion cumulatively over 30 years, and support President Biden's ambitious clean energy agenda to combat the climate crisis."

President Joe Biden delivers remarks as Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm listens at the White House on Oct. 19, 2022.(Alex Wong/Getty Images)

BIDEN ADMIN'S REGULATIONS WOULD BAN 96% OF GAS STOVES, REPUBLICAN SENATOR WARNS

The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers argued that the Energy Department's washing machine regulations "would have a disproportionate, negative impact on low-income households" by eliminating cheaper appliances from the market. The Energy Department estimates that manufacturers will incur nearly $700 million in conversion costs to transition to the new machines.

"The proposal also argues that it won't reduce appliance performance, but skepticism is warranted because past regulations have often been found to reduce performance," Coleman told Fox News Digital.

"Despite misleading claims to the contrary, these proposals are intended for nothing more than promoting innovation and keeping money in the pockets of Americans everywhere without sacrificing the reliability and performance that consumers expect and rely on," a spokesperson for the Department of Energy told Fox News Digital. "As evidenced in the Department's testing and analysis, the proposed standards would not reduce product performance or negatively impact cleaning ability or cycle time."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    last year

Dimbulbs latest hair brain idea.    Lower water volume washing machines.

Reminds me of when they rushed into low flow toilets which saved nothing because people were flushing more than once just to get rid of their business.    Now people will probably need to wash their cloths twice to get them clean.

Maybe next they’ll suggest washing clothes on a washboard or on a rock in a stream.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @1    last year

I can recall when they started making toilets use less water to flush and it still worked, didn't have to flush twice.  Now toilets have double flush buttons - push one for just pee, and the other (or both together) for a heavy load.  If Biden wants to suggest something effective, it would be to suggest that people start using bicycles instead of cars if where they want to go is not too far.  Recently I saw a comment that said:  "I drove a mile to the gym to run a mile on the treadmill"  Maybe it should have been drove a half mile because of the drive back home.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    last year

My recall is entirely different.    

We had to change entire projects of water closets in the beginning because they weren’t working.    It took a few years to figure it out and part of it was raising the amount of water used until designs were modified to work with the lower volumes.

This idea may work but it’s just about guaranteed.   They are once again getting the cart before the horse.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    last year
I can recall when they started making toilets use less water to flush and it still worked, didn't have to flush twice.

I used to have a top loading washing machine, it used 25+ gallons to wash clothing in.  Now we have a front loader that uses 7 gallons.  But hey, who cares about efficiency as long as you can boast about how many gallons your washing machine uses.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    last year

I only had top loaders, and still do.  I don't know why there is a difference in the amount of water needed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    last year

Although I've known since I was a little kid how to use one, and still do, I have to admit that I know very little about the structure and function of toilets - I'll never consider myself to be an expert in that field.  Years ago I posted an article about toilets in China - from a hole in the ground along with a bucket of water to a heated-seat toilet that not only flushed automatically but automatically covered the seat with a new sanitary film between each use. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @1    last year

Actually, the toilets we have now at 1.28 gal/flush now work considerably better than the old 3.5 gal/flush ones.  At first toilet makers were just putting a smaller tank on the same old bowl and it didn't work out well.  They also tried other tricks like pressure assist models and stuff like that that I was unimpressed with but now they have about 6" diameter flappers and larger spuds on the bowls combined with full 2" trapways that are fully glazed inside making them flush better than the 3.5 gallon toilets while using less than half the water. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    last year
Actually, the toilets we have now at 1.28 gal/flush now work considerably better than the old 3.5 gal/flush ones. 

Based on what?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.1    last year

Based on my experience installing literally thousands of toilets.  I've been plumbing for 35 years and have had a plumbing contracting business since 1998.  I remember when the 3.5 gallon toilets were considered the 'low flow' toilets.  I recently replaced two toilets predating the 3.5 gallon requirement.  They probably used about 5 gallons /flush.  The new 1.28 gpf toilets (the most allowed in Cali now) flushed way better.  There was really no comparison.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2.2    last year

I’ve been around this a bit longer than you, over 45 years.  

First as a union journeyman plumber pipe fitter, then as a design engineer, then as a mechanical contractor.   If you’ve truly been doing it 35 years you should be aware of the issues encountered with the first few versions.    There was major issues until they managed to get the cart behind the house.   Issues continue today.    You’ve never seen sanitary piping issues from these?    Lower flow causing solids backing up?

That issue continues today.    Any plumbing service person active today has run into that.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    last year

What will these idiots think of next?  Banning natural gas furnaces?

Water saving toilets get flushed oftener. Net saving is zero.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @2    last year

If you flush a 1.28 gpf toilet twice that's 2.56 gallons and you're still saving almost a gallon.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    last year

Moot point.    

Shouldn’t need to flush it more than once.

Right?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    last year
Shouldn’t need to flush it more than once.

I don't.  Maybe you should eat more whole grains.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.2    last year

Well, you’re a professional flusher so there is that.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

Democrats and Biden must have some serious TBIs to come up with half of this stupid shit.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    last year

I started using a front load washing machine when I lived in Germany in 1989.  Since then I had them here and found:

• Ideal for washing any type of material, from delicates to bulky items
  • Energy-efficient, uses less water than a top loader
  • Greater drum capacitor holds more clothes 
  • Gentler on clothes with better cleaning.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    last year

Agreed.    Love my front loader.