╌>

More than a quarter of Republicans approve of Capitol attack, poll shows | US Capitol attack | The Guardian

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  186 comments

By:   MartinPengelly (the Guardian)

More than a quarter of Republicans approve of Capitol attack, poll shows | US Capitol attack | The Guardian
Survey also reveals more than half of Republicans think January 6 was a form of legitimate political discourse

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Survey also reveals more than half of Republicans think January 6 was a form of legitimate political discourse

More than a quarter of Republicans approve of the January 6 Capitol attack, according to a new poll. More than half think the deadly riot was a form of legitimate political discourse.

Stormy Daniels: Donald Trump legal team 'pushes for end to hush money case' Read more

The Economist and YouGov survey said 27% of Republicans either strongly or somewhat approved of the riot on 6 January 2021, which Donald Trump incited in an attempt to overturn his election defeat by Joe Biden.

Nine deaths, including law enforcement suicides, have been linked to the attack. More than 1,000 people have been arrested and hundreds convicted.

The longest sentence yet handed down is 10 years in prison, to a former New York police officer who assaulted Capitol officers. The statutory maximum sentence for seditious conspiracy, the most serious convictions yet secured, is 20 years.

Trump was impeached for inciting an insurrection, but acquitted. The House January 6 committee made four criminal referrals regarding Trump to the Department of Justice. The federal investigation continues.

The Republican party itself has called the riot legitimate political discourse.

In February 2022, a Republican National Committee resolution said Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger, the two Republicans on the January 6 committee, were pursuing the "persecution of ordinary citizens engaged in legitimate political discourse".

A Democratic committee member, Jamie Raskin, said: "The Republican party is so off the deep end now that they are describing an attempted coup and a deadly insurrection as political expression.

"It is a scandal that historians will be aghast at."

More than a year later, the Economist/YouGov poll said 54% of Republicans thought rioters "participated in legitimate political discourse". Among all voters, that total was 34%.

The poll also said 8% of Republicans strongly approved of the takeover of the Capitol and 19% somewhat approved.

Among all respondents, 19% approved of the riot "to stop congressional proceedings". The figure for those who did not approve was 65%, leaving 15% "not sure".

Asked about Trump's responsibility for the riot, 49% of Republicans said he had some, from a little to a lot. Among all voters, that figure rose 68%.

Trump is running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024 and leading most polls, despite facing legal jeopardy over January 6 and on many other fronts.

Respondents to the Economist/YouGov poll were also asked about the decision by the Republican House speaker, Kevin McCarthy, to hand more than 40,000 hours of Capitol security footage to Tucker Carlson.

Republican response to the January 6 Capitol attack divides party Read more

The Fox News host has used the footage to show a highly partial version of events on January 6, arguing most rioters were peaceful and claiming without discernible irony the attack has been taken out of context for political purposes.

McCarthy has been widely criticised. He has said other networks will have access to the footage.

Among Republicans in the new poll, 61% approved of McCarthy's decision to release the footage to Carlson and Fox News. Among all voters, 42% did.

Republicans under McCarthy, including the far-right Georgia congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene, plan to stage an official visit to individuals jailed over January 6.

Trump has recorded a charity single, with a choir of prisoners.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Is it any wonder why the once Grand Old Party of Abe Lincoln is now known merely as the gop?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Is it any wonder that the vast majority of US voters don't give a shyt about this peaceful protest that got a bit rowdy, over two years ago

But hey, keep stirring that pot of partisan political stew.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year
this peaceful protest that got a bit rowdy, over two years ago

You are losing it, everywhere all at once. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

original

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    last year

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    last year

You’ve already completely lost it.    

Approximately 7-8 years ago.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.4    last year
You’ve already completely lost it.

Right, so those who didn't want a President who is lecherous golden spoon born thrice married known liar, adulterer and financial conman who ran half a dozen businesses into bankruptcy and was accused of sexual assault by over two dozen women, praised authoritarian leaders while ridiculing Democracy, said he and a murderous dictator with nuclear ambitions "fell in love", disrespected gold star families and continues to blatantly lie about the 2020 election while trying to avoid prosecution for inciting a violent insurrection, are the ones who've "lost it"? Fucking hilarious.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.5    last year

The TDS is strong in this one as well.    Meanwhile the senile old, career liar, grifter and flip flopped in office right now gets a free pass from the TDS ridden.

That would be fucking hilarious if it wasn’t so fucking sad.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    last year

They're now the gqp.

George
Junior Expert
1.3  George  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Is it any wonder that the party of slavery and of the Klan is now only known as the party of the Klan.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  George @1.3    last year

republicans/gop/gqp - you are correct!

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.2  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3    last year

Yes, those CONSERVATIVE Democrats were appalling, and KKK members are all still conservatives, now Republicans.    

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.2    last year

Correct WT!

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

George
Junior Expert
1.3.4  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.2    last year

Not at all accurate, Biden still a democrat, Clinton democrat, the lie that the Klan became republican is what democrats tell themselves to feel better about their racism. 

Look at all these racist strongholds in the deep blue democrat north.

1. Waterloo -Cedar Falls, IA
  2. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI
  3. Racine, WI
  4. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Bloomington, MN
  5. Peoria, IN
  6. Elmira, NY
  7. Decatur, IL
  8. Niles-Benton Harbor, MI
  9. Kankakee,   Illinois
  10. Fresno, CA
  11. Springfield, IL
  12. Trenton, NJ
  13. Danville, IL
  14. Rochester, NY
  15. Chicago, Naperville, and   Elgin , IL

Most Racist Cities in America 2023 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.5  Tessylo  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.2    last year

Pay no attention to those who have nothing but projection, deflection, denial, and who prefer to dwell in an alternate reality.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.2    last year

Don't confuse them with facts. It hurts their brains

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.6    last year

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.8  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.4    last year

Wrong, Klan members are conservatives.  You tell yourself that they are "liberals" (HAHAHAHA) to delude yourself out of the fact that Klan members and white supremacists are on your side of the aisle and always have been.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.9  Tessylo  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.8    last year

Today's republikkkans

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.8    last year

The Klan??? Liberals????

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.11  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.10    last year

I know right.  Too funny.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.12  bugsy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.8    last year
Wrong, Klan members are conservatives.

Probably, but they are such a small n umber, no one really gives a shit about them.

Now, ANTIFA is leftist...and they are far more destructive today, in larger numbers, than anything the Klan could have wished for the past few decades.

George
Junior Expert
1.3.13  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.8    last year

I never said they were liberals, i said democrats, but the empirical evidence shows democrats are running the most racist cities in the US, racism and democrat could be synonyms.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.14  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  bugsy @1.3.12    last year

Sure, until the next Charlottesville.  

George
Junior Expert
1.3.15  George  replied to  bugsy @1.3.12    last year

Have you ever notice how the left always call conservative and republicans Nazi's or worse? and yet they are the ones that always have Brownshirts like the Klan? BLM? ANTIFA? I'm not sure if they are hypocrites or just projecting onto others what they actually are.

George
Junior Expert
1.3.16  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.14    last year

Or Atlanta? or Louisville? or Seattle? or Minneapolis? or......

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.17  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.13    last year

And I said they were conservatives which they were and still are.  Conservatives are Republicans so KKK members are now Republicans (obviously not all Republicans, but Republicans none the less).  If you think they are Democrats, then what ideology do you believe they have - liberal, conservative or moderate?  Those are the choices. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.18  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.16    last year

Yes, the Klan and White supremacists can show up in any city or town.  About 2 years ago, the Klan blanketed the county I live in with fliers, so yeah, the Klan can be anywhere.    

George
Junior Expert
1.3.19  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.18    last year

Those were most likely mailers from democrats running for office, I can understand why you would think they were from the klan.

George
Junior Expert
1.3.20  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.17    last year

Democrats are the only party who thinks African Americans are too stupid to get into college or id’s to vote without democrats help, democrats are the party of racism.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.21  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.19    last year

What a sick comment.  They were from the kkk and my county wasn't the only one it happened in.  They were recruiting flyers blanketing a very conservative area. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.22  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.20    last year

Nice attempted deflection with conservative talking points, yet zero substance, but thats typical for you people. You've yet to answer my question. What ideology do these racist democrats affiliate themselves with? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.21    last year

Their recruiting effort seems to be failing as KKK membership remains in decline.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.24  Tessylo  replied to  George @1.3.15    last year

The truth hurts doesn't it?

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.25  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.23    last year

Which is why they're blanketing conservative areas with recruitment flyers trying to get their numbers up. 

George
Junior Expert
1.3.26  George  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.24    last year

The only truth is scumbag democrats created the klan.

George
Junior Expert
1.3.27  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.25    last year

Obviously we can agree the klan is made up of dumbasses! That’s why they are putting flyers in conservative areas, if they wanted to increase numbers they would get members from the democrat run cities in the north, they are racist strongholds.

George
Junior Expert
1.3.28  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.22    last year

White supremacy, that’s why they are democrats 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.29  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.25    last year

According to the SPLC their efforts aren’t working well.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.30  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.24    last year

It sets me free.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.31  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.27    last year

Wrong again.  It's the conservatives who are mad that the "others" are moving into their area. The KKK knows exactly who they are targeting for recruitment because it's always been conservatives.  

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.32  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @1.3.28    last year

Wrong again. Are they conservatives,  moderates or liberals? You can't (or won't) answer because KKK and white supremacists are now and have always been conservatives.  Now fuck off.  You're only spewing bullshit because that's all you have.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.33  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.29    last year

Well that's a good thing, but that doesn't mean they aren't trying. 

George
Junior Expert
1.3.34  George  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.23    last year

Exactly, they should try Illinois and NY if they plan on increasing their numbers.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.35  Tessylo  replied to  George @1.3.26    last year

PD&D

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.36  bugsy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.14    last year

Yes there has been one Charlottesville, but hundreds, if not thousands of leftist riots, murders and property damage SINCE THEN.

When is the next one scheduled.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.37  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  bugsy @1.3.36    last year

How the fuck would I know since I've denounced ALL riots.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.38  bugsy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.37    last year
I've denounced ALL riots.  

Hmmmm.

Show us where you have condemned ANTIFA, BLM, or the riots during the Summer of Love 2020.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.39  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  bugsy @1.3.38    last year

I owe you nothing. I've denounced them like ALL riots. Can you say the same or are you a fucking hypocrite?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.40  bugsy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.39    last year
I've denounced them like ALL riots.

Sure you have. We have never seen you post anything about prosecuting the thugs that rioted, burned, murdered and ransacked for months during the summer of love 2020.

On the flip side, I can honestly say those that committed a riot on J6 need to be arrested and brought to trial.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.41  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @1.3.40    last year

Who is the 'we' you are representing?   The fact that you have not seen a post of a desired type does not mean that the poster does not hold the position he has stated that he holds.

I, for example, do not opine on everything on NT.   There are plenty of points / issues with which I disagree but do not comment on.    The lack of a comment (assuming that your allegation is even true) does not mean support.

In post @1.3.39, Wishful_thinkin stated that he denounces ALL riots.   Until he contradicts that, why not just take him at his word?

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.42  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  bugsy @1.3.40    last year

You're free to have whatever WRONG opinion you have of me. And really, I don't give a fuck what you think about me. I know my truth. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.43  devangelical  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.42    last year

the opinions of the willfully ignorant are totally meaningless...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Any idea about how many times you've made that comment?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.4    last year

Not enough. Many remain mired in the gop!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.4.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.4.1    last year
The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now, we can only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1.4.1    last year

But it's more accurate to call them the gqp or today's republikkkans

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    last year

Spin baby spin.

Liberals who write articles like this are nothing but partisan henchman.

I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the violent portion of Jan 6th was good.    I’ve met a lot of folks who believe the peaceful protesters were just fine.

So keep spinning liberal henchman, keep spinning.  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

“I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the violent portion of Jan 6th was good.    I’ve met a lot of folks who believe the peaceful protesters were just fine.”

How in the world can one separate the two?

The bottom line is irrefutable…storming the Capitol to intervene in the electoral process, at the behest of a disgruntled loser…peaceful or not…what was the intent?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  afrayedknot @2.1    last year
How in the world can one separate the two?

By recognizing that most people were there that day to peacefully exercise their constitutional right of free speech.

Actually, I find it incredible that one can not manage to separate the two.

George
Junior Expert
2.2  George  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

What i find interesting is liberals who scream about Jan 6 where the only person who died was a retired unarmed veteran, but in Seattle they set up a separate country, banded US authorities and openly carried weapons, multiple shooting victims, multiple killed and 100's of millions in damages, and the lefts reaction for the most part......It was mostly peaceful.  Fucking hypocrites.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  George @2.2    last year

Deflection, on top of projection and denial.

All you have.

user image
Freshman Silent
3      last year

How the democrats see jan 6...

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  @3    last year

Nope...

original

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.1    replied to  JBB @3.1    last year

Harris said some dates in U.S. history "“occupy not only a place on our calendars, but a place in our collective memory.  December 7th, 1941.  September 11th, 2001. And January 6th, 2021.”

That's our VP of the US nowjrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.2  afrayedknot  replied to  @3.1.1    last year

“…some dates in U.S. history "“occupy not only a place on our calendars, but a place in our collective memory.  December 7th, 1941.  September 11th, 2001. And January 6th, 2021.”

The date will outlive those that deny the undeniable. 

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.3    replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.2    last year

Some people walking on to the senate floor is the equivalent to foreign powers using airplanes to attack our country? That level of hyperbole is nauseating 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.4  George  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.2    last year

2 out of 3 isn't bad, at least according to Meat Loaf.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.5  afrayedknot  replied to  @3.1.3    last year

“Some people walking on to the senate floor…”

…with the intent to overturn a duly adjudicated election. The internal threat was and remains the greatest threat. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.6  George  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.5    last year

You seriously can't be stupid enough to believe that. Was there any danger that the election wasn't going to be certified? they literally could have phoned it in the next day if the entire capitol building got burned to the ground. they had been voting and meeting by remote means since the beginning of Covid.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  George @3.1.6    last year

Unreal how the gqp has nothing but defending the indefensible on top of their chronic PD&D

Because the insurrection/coup failed - nothing to see here?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.8  afrayedknot  replied to  George @3.1.6    last year

“…if the entire capitol building got burned to the ground…”

Which is a somehow meaningless outcome? The justification is dumbfounding. 

“You seriously can’t be stupid enough to believe that.”

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  George @3.1.6    last year
Was there any danger that the election wasn't going to be certified? they literally could have phoned it in the next day if the entire capitol building got burned to the ground. they had been voting and meeting by remote means since the beginning of Covid.

The fact is that the MAGA crowd was there that day to first pressure Mike Pence to reject the real electors and accept fake electors and illegally change the vote certification in Trumps favor. When it was clear that Pence would not commit high treason the crowd became violent and were literally shouting "Hang Mike Pence!" as they broke through the doors and windows, beat capital police officers, vandalized offices, shat on the floor and walls all while attempting to stop the certification and install their own leader just like fucking fascists have done.

So those dipshit MAGA insurrectionists weren't just trying to stop the certification, they were set on criminally certifying the loser as leader and there was a very clear danger of that happening that day. Anyone who doesn't understand that simple fact clearly has their own balloon knot choking off the oxygen to their obviously already damaged brains.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.9    last year

Those supporters of the former 'president' always keep it classy!

George
Junior Expert
3.1.11  George  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.9    last year
The fact is that the MAGA crowd was there that day to first pressure Mike Pence to reject the real electors and accept fake electors and illegally change the vote certification in Trumps favor.

That wasn't going to happen because Pence has integrity onlike the liberals who claimed they were in danger while sitting blocks away in their office.

When it was clear that Pence would no commit high treason the crowd became violent and were literally shouting "Hang Mike Pence!" as they broke through the doors and windows, beat capital police officers, vandalized offices, shat on the floor and walls all while attempting to stop the certification and install their own leader just like fucking fascists have done.

WOW! a lot of excitement and hyperbole there, a couple of 100 UNARMED protestors were going to overthrow the government. Exactly how were they going to pull this great feat off?

So those dipshit MAGA insurrectionists weren't just trying to stop the certification, they were set on criminally certifying the loser as leader and there was a very clear danger of that happening that day. Anyone who doesn't understand that simple fact clearly has their own balloon knot choking off the oxygen to their obviously already damaged brains.

Again, explain how a couple hundred Unarmed dipshits were going to pull this amazing feat off? i know they were probably conservatives even if they are the runts of the litter, that still makes them more intelligent and braver than democrats, but even so, i doubt that a few hundred of them could pull off what a million armed democrats couldn't during the civil war. You guys are still the only party to ever try to overthrow the US government.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.12  afrayedknot  replied to  George @3.1.11    last year

“…dipshits…”

….on that we can agree.

And defending a ‘dipshit’ makes one just what, george?

A patriot? An apologist? A partisan hack? Or just another in a long line of dipshits?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  George @3.1.11    last year

Again, because they didn't 'pull it off' - nothing to see here Gorge?

Plus the endless projection, good job there boy!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.12    last year

See how they endlessly defend the indefensible . . . deplorable yet typical.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  @3.1.3    last year

Those who defend the indefensible are nauseating

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  George @3.1.11    last year
a couple of 100 UNARMED protestors were going to overthrow the government

Over 100 capital police officers were injured that day by thousands, not "a couple 100". And they were not "unarmed". The vile worthless criminal MAGAites were armed with " stun guns, pepper spray, baseball bats and flagpoles wielded as clubs".

Capitol Riot Weapons Include Bear Spray, Fire Extinguishers And Baseball Bats : NPR

Of course if you only watch the admitted liars on Fox News you likely wouldn't know that, or you're being intentionally obtuse because you just can't fucking handle the truth about your favored political party you seem to be so desperate to defend.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.16    last year

Some of those scumbags also used bear spray and the Officer that died the next day (1/6 having everything to do with his death as far as I'm concerned) was sprayed at least twice with some chemical, possibly bear spray, who knows what those scum had that hasn't been revealed yet..

It's deplorable - the defense of the indefensible.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.16    last year

Anyone who wants to see the truth of that day should watch "Four Hours at the Capitol". It's a documentary with people from the "tourist crowd" giving statements and cops who were there that day. There's also footage shot from cell phones and other cameras...which surprisingly came from the "tourists" themselves.

It's enlightening and disturbing

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  Ronin2  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.2    last year

It will definitely live in leftists' TDS driven heads forever.

As they completely forget the "Summer of Love"; Chaz; BLM and Antifa attacking local and federal officers; tearing down state and federal statues; burning police cars; looting businesses; burning down and destroying some police stations; and burning a federal courthouse.

Stop wondering why the majority doesn't give a shit about Jan 6. We had to live through your radical terrorist BS for years. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.19    last year

PD&D son

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  @3.1.3    last year

I bet you would be singing a different tune if it were oh...I don't know....Hillary supporters who stormed the Capitol intending to disrupt the proceedings that day

I bet all all of you fuckers would

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.22  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.21    last year
I bet you would be singing a different tune if it were oh...I don't know....Hillary supporters who stormed the Capitol intending to disrupt the proceedings that day

It's not like that hasn't happened.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.23  George  replied to  afrayedknot @3.1.12    last year

Who defended them? i'm just pointing out that some cowardly pieces of shit have no idea what an insurrection actually is. 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.24  George  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.16    last year

I'm sorry i guess the ARMED officers were to much a group of puusies to actually defend themselves against sticks?  Is that what you are going with? or maybe the "threat" has been overblown to scare little children who have no courage and need someone to protect them? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.25  bugsy  replied to  George @3.1.23    last year
Who defended them?

This is the left"s new MO. I you do not toe the leftist line of just about everything, then you are defending those they despise.

As an example, there is one on here that if you do not condemn Trump exactly the way HE wants you to, then you are defending him. Most do not have critical thinking skills that allow for really looking into matters.

Most just hate someone, therefore, you have to, also.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.22    last year

so they have

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.27  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.17    last year
(1/6 having everything to do with his death as far as I'm concerned) 

Officer Sicknick served honorably and bravely on that 6 Jan.  What do you think happened that led to the blood clot in his artery that caused his strokes?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.28  Trout Giggles  replied to  @3.1.1    last year

You don't think people will remember Jan 6, 2021?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  @3.1.3    last year

They didn't just walk onto the Senate floor. They smashed windows, overturned furniture, and crapped on floors

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.30    replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.28    last year

No I truly don't. I think the only people clinging on to that day are the people who remember how much it hurt when Trump got elected, and the trolling they had to put up with from his supporters for that 4 years. I think after a generation or 2 of voters they will look back and think "wtf was that all about". Comparing it to 9/11 or pearl harbor is honestly disrespectful to the real trauma endured by the people those days. 

It was a protest ffs. These things happen when you get that many people together. I'm sure not everyone who went out to protest George  Floyd's death didn't intend to burn down the local CVS but shit happens. It was a footnote in history nothing more. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    last year

The left-leaning biased reporting misled on that one little fact.  While 27% of Republicans polled strongly or somewhat approve of what the Trump Supporters did in attacking the Capital, 19% of Democrats also strongly or somewhat approved of the same action.  

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Snuffy @4    last year

original

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  JBB @4.1    last year

Deflection - the weak approach when you cannot counter the truth.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    last year

Nope, jbb never deflects.

That's usually you when you're not defending the indefensible.

Also, what truth?  LOL

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    last year
Also, what truth?  LOL

Then it should be easy for you to prove that what I posted in 4.0 is not the truth. 

Question is, will  you actually attempt that or will you just run away....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.3    last year

Again what truth?

Again with the insults.

I have a life, maybe you should get one.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.4    last year

So you choose to run away.  too bad...  the truth is right there in the seed if you could only open and read it.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.5    last year

Who ran away?

That was me living my life.

I went to meet my dad and a friend for dinner and watch Stephen Colbert and laughed at those who constantly defend the indefensible.

Nowhere in the attached article or what is copied above says that 19% of Democrats approved of what happened that day.  Show me where it says that, I don't see it.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.7  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    last year

Don't you know that if you don't answer them in their time frame, then you ran away and they "win" the argument by default like they're children. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.8  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    last year

Reply 4.1.4 was you running away.  I asked you in 4.1.3 to prove that I did not tell the truth yet you continued to deflect from doing so and instead ran away.

As for where it says that 19% of Democrats polled approved what happened that day, go back into the seed and in the first sentence you will see a red 'a new poll'.  Click on that link and it brings you to the .pdf that has all the data and questions.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.7    last year
Don't you know that if you don't answer them in their time frame, then you ran away and they "win" the argument by default like they're children. 

Nope, that's not my game.  Might be yours, I don't know you well enough to care.  But I consider running away to be when asked a question instead reply with the same deflection and bullshit rather than answer the question.  Just like what happened in 4.1.4 which was a reply to 4.1.3

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.8    last year

I didn't run away.

I have a life outside of NT.

You should try it sometime.

FUCK OFF.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.12  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.11    last year

Sure you did.  When you reply with a standard deflection instead of providing the proof that  you say I am lying, that's running away.  I even tried to lead you by the hand to the evidence.  Guess you really didn't want to see the numbers, guess you're not interested in the truth.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.11    last year

[Deleted]

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.14  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.9    last year

I don't play games, and I don't know you well enough to care about if you care or not, and if that's your definition of "running away", there are a lot of conservatives here who "run away" when they are asked questions too.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.12    last year

You just have to have the last word,  

I didn't run away.  I don't deflect.  That's you.

I don't answer to you either.

See comment 4.1.11 last sentence and wash, rinse, and repeat often.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.13    last year

See comment 4.1.11 last sentence and wash, rinse, and repeat often.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.17  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.15    last year

You're so wrong it almost hurts.  You accuse me of having to have the last word,  when you are the last to reply in a thread.  That's fucking funny...

Right back at ya...    FUCK OFF

(and now you can come back and have the last word)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.17    last year

I was correct as usual that you have to have the last word.

Continue.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.18    last year

I'm going to be taking a break from NT shortly and I may be back in a few hours.

I look forward to possibly returning later where I will face accusations of running away while they again get the last word in.

lol

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.20  MonsterMash  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.13    last year

[Deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1.20    last year

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4    last year

BULLSHIT is all you have on top of defending the indefensible.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    last year

BULLSHIT right back at you.  Not defending a fucking thing, just pointing out that 19% of the Democrats polled also supported the attack on the US Capital.  Maybe you should actually read the seed and the attached .pdf in the seed article that points this out.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.1    last year

Of course you are.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.1    last year

were those the 19% who voted for trmp?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.3    last year

I can't imagine honestly any decent Democrat voting for the POS.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.5  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.3    last year
were those the 19% who voted for trmp?

This poll doesn't go into that.  But looking at reporting from Pew,  it doesn't look like there were ever 19% of Democrats who voted for Trump.

In the 2016 election according to the report from Pew...

Candidate         Dem   Rep   Ind
  Clinton          94%   4%    42%
  Trump             5%   92%   43%

In the 2020 election according to Pew...

Candidate       Dem   Rep   Ind
  Biden          95%   5%    52%
  Trump          94%   4%    43%

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.1    last year

It doesn't say anywhere in the article attached to this seed that 19% of Democrats approved of what happened that day.

If it does, show me.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.1    last year

I read it.  It doesn't say anything about Democrats approving the failed coup/insurrection anywhere.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.8  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.6    last year
It doesn't say anywhere in the article attached to this seed that 19% of Democrats approved of what happened that day. If it does, show me.

Go back into the seed and in the first sentence you will see a red 'a new poll'.  Click on that link and it brings you to the .pdf that has all the data and questions.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.9  pat wilson  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.1    last year

The pdf shows that 21% of Dems agreed that "people participated in legitimate political discourse" while 71% agreed that people participated in a violent insurrection, 8% "Don't know".

That's significantly different than your words "Democrats polled also supported the attack on the US Capitol".

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.9    last year

People often read into polls that which they hope is true.

As you have illustrated, polls are tricky things.   Those who checked "people participated in legitimate political discourse" could be thinking all sorts of things such as:  "in general, the crowd on Jan 6th mostly protested outside the Capitol".   Since polls limit the response, people could easily answer the question in terms of majority action rather than answer in terms of minority.   Everyone applies different weights in poll questions.

Too bad the poll did not ask a pointed question such as: "do you approve of citizens violently forcing themselves into the Capitol to disrupt the workings of Congress because they believe their votes were disenfranchised?"

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.11  pat wilson  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.10    last year
polls are tricky things.

Yes they are and the wording in them need to be read verbatim.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.5    last year

Makes you wonder who that 19% voted for

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.13  Snuffy  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.9    last year
The pdf shows that 21% of Dems agreed that "people participated in legitimate political discourse" while 71% agreed that people participated in a violent insurrection, 8% "Don't know". That's significantly different than your words "Democrats polled also supported the attack on the US Capitol".

Your numbers are from question #50 which is 

50. View on January 6th
Which comes closer to your view regarding what took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021?

There is a lot more that happened at the US Capitol on Jan 6th than just the invasion of the building itself.  Question #50 is about the protest at the capital and everything that happened that day at the Capital.   

If  you go down to question #51 you will see that there were 19% of polled who identified as Democrats who strongly or somewhat approved of the rioters taking over the Capital.  That is the question on the actual attack of the US Capital.

51. Capitol Takeover Approval
Do you approve or disapprove of the Trump supporters taking over the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. on January 6th, 2021 to stop Congressional
proceedings?
                                    Dem   Ind   Rep
Strongly Approve                     6%    3%   8%
Somewhat Approve                    13%   10%  19%
Somewhat Disapprove                 10%   14%  25%
Strongly Disapprove                 66%   53%  27%
Not Sure                             5%   20%  20%

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.14  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.10    last year
Too bad the poll did not ask a pointed question such as: "do you approve of citizens violently forcing themselves into the Capitol to disrupt the workings of Congress because they believe their votes were disenfranchised?"

I think it did.  Read question #51.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.9    last year

Thank you, Pat, see how snuffy refuses to admit that he's wrong and that he makes stuff up.

That's why he didn't show me where that was said, because it wasn't.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.16  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.11    last year

Thanks again Pat!  See how some folks make stuff up?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.13    last year

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Just refuse to admit you're wrong.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.18  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.8    last year

It doesn't say that anywhere in the poll/survey either.

You just keep making stuff up.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.19  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.14    last year

You are correct, 51 asks that question.

So the headline of the seed is correct since 27% of the Republicans polled strongly or somewhat approve of the insurrection.   And then another 25% disapprove but only 'somewhat'.   Amazing that any Ds and independents approve.  

The decisive respondents in the negative are interesting.  27% of the polled Republicans strongly disapprove (there is the core of sanity remaining in the GOP).   67% of the Ds polled strongly disapprove while 53% of the independents polled strongly disapprove.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.20  pat wilson  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.13    last year

6% Strongly Approve

13% Somewhat Approve

Is this a big revelation ? What's your point ? There are stupid Democrats, of course there are.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.20    last year

I'm wondering what the point is as well.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.22  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.21    last year

MAGA cannot stop showing their asses!

To avoid taking responsibility for losing...

Lost elections and Trump's Insurrection.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.23  Snuffy  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.20    last year

My point was that the seed article showed their bias.  That's all.  Yes, there are stupid Democrats just like there are stupid Republicans and everything in between.  Instead of just arguing maybe you can make a point.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.24  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.17    last year

When I give you the evidence right out of the .pdf document?   How the fuck can you always be so wrong.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.25  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.23    last year

Instead of just arguing and having to have the last word maybe you can make a point and stop defending the indefensible.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.26  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.24    last year

None of your 'evidence' states what you state it states.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.23    last year
My point was that the seed article showed their bias. 

There is always bias.   One needs to get past the bias and look at the facts.

In this case, the facts (the poll) show that that of those polled, only 27% of Rs clearly deem the insurrection to be wrong.   This is in contrast to 67% of the Ds and 53% of the independents.

I am impressed (not in a good way) that the D and independent stats were not closer to 100%.    After all, who in their right mind would not recognize that violently breaking and entering the Capitol to disrupt the workings of Congress is wrong?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.28  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.26    last year
None of your 'evidence' states what you state it states.

Here we are again, you refuse to read what is handed to you.  Let's try this again, shall we.  I'll even highlight the important numbers...

51. Capitol Takeover Approval
Do you approve or disapprove of the Trump supporters taking over the Capitol building in Washington, D.C. on January 6th, 2021 to stop Congressional
proceedings?
                                     Dem   Ind   Rep
Strongly Approve                                 6%    3%   8%
Somewhat Approve                           13%   10%  19%
Somewhat Disapprove                      10%   14%  25%
Strongly Disapprove                          66%   53%  27%
Not Sure                                             5%   20%  20%

Now, let's read it together...

The question is, do you approve or disapprove of the Trump supporters taking over the Capital building on Jan 6th, 2021 to stop Congressional proceedings.

Democrats polled strongly approved at 6% and somewhat approved at 13%.  Now let's add those two numbers together to find out the percentage of Democrats who either strongly approved or somewhat approved of the Trump Supporters breaking into the Capital building to prevent Congress from their proceedings.

6%  +  13%  =  19%

Do you follow so far?  Can you should me where the evidence does not state this?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.29  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.28    last year

What's your point?

Why is it so important to you to have the last word?

I'm going to take a break and when I get back I'm sure you'll accuse me of running away while once again having the last word.

This is fun.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.30  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.27    last year
There is always bias.   One needs to get past the bias and look at the facts.

I did, that's why I made my initial post.  

In this case, the facts (the poll) show that that of those polled, only 27% of Rs clearly deem the insurrection to be wrong.   This is in contrast to67% of the Ds and 53% of the independents. I am impressed (not in a good way) that the D and independent stats were not closer to 100%.    After all, who in their right mind would not recognize that violently breaking and entering the Capitol to disrupt the workings of Congress is wrong?

I think this may be due to the generic questioning that polls give.  There were two pieces of Jan 6th, the initial protest that started with the Trump rally and moved down to the Capital building,  and the riot (or insurrection if you will) done by those who attacked the police and broke windows/doors to gain entry into the Capital building.  Perhaps the numbers would have been different had they asked two different questions around that, one based on the protest and the other on the breaking into the Capital.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.31  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.29    last year

I've made my point repeatedly.  You have continued to accuse me of not providing the evidence even when I have provided it numerous times.  In 4.2.28 I even lead you by the hand thru each step of it.

The simple fact is you are a denialist.  You refuse the accept the truth even when it is presented directly.  So be it.  We're done.

This is fun.

This line is very telling.  It shows you do not argue to make a point.  You don't want a conversation or even the possibility of learning something new.  All you are interested in is arguing for the sake of arguing because it's entertaining to you.  And that makes you an eristic.  Have a nice life, you're now on ignore.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.32  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.30    last year

Ultimately I just cannot wrap my head around anyone who does not realize that it is wrong, under any circumstances, to violently break and enter the Capitol building.   The polls should have been close to 100% on question 51 for D, I and R.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.33  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.32    last year

Agreed.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.34  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.32    last year
Ultimately I just cannot wrap my head around anyone who does not realize that it is wrong

That's because you clearly have a head that hasn't already been wrapped around Donald Trump's stubby little finger...

For MAGA loyalists it is mandatory to twist, contort and spin any uncomfortable facts into obsequious praise for their 'Dear Leader'...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.35  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.31    last year

I see how you just have to have the last word.

Why is that so important to you?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.36  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.31    last year

Finally.  At least I won't have to deal with your need to have the last word.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.3  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @4    last year

Do you approve of Trump supporters breaking and entering the Capitol to disrupt the workings of Congress?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.3.1  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @4.3    last year

NO, I've told you that before.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    last year

It's been clear to any sane American that's been keeping an eye on politics that at minimum a quarter of Republicans are fucking insane. A quarter of Republican's believe the central views of the Qanon conspiracy theories, 61% of them believe the 2020 election was "stolen" even though they don't have a fuckling single lick of proof, 53% of them believe Putin is a 'very strong leader', 47% of them believe the ACA included "death panels", 60% of them believe Muslims are secretly taking over US banking to install sharia law, and 46% of them believed Hillary Clinton was connected to a child sex trafficking ring run out of the basement of a pizzeria in Washington, D.C.

These folk are beyond crazy, yet they make up nearly half of a major political party that constantly vies for control of our nation. This should be extremely frightening to any sane American, yet the other half of the Republican party that don't seem to buy into all the right wing religious conservative insanity seem perfectly fine welcoming these obviously mentally deficient members into their party because without the brainless poorly educated rural whackos they would never win another election and they know it. That's why so many Republican legislators pander to these fucking morons even though they know their complaint's and conspiracy theories are fucking insane.

A Quarter of Republicans Believe Central Views of QAnon Conspiracy Movement (usnews.com)

Poll: 61% of Republicans still believe Biden didn’t win fair and square in 2020 (nbcnews.com)

Majority of Republicans Polled View Putin as a 'Very Strong Leader' (newsweek.com)

Why conservatives are more susceptible to believing in lies. (slate.com)

It Didn’t Start with Trump: The Decades-Long Saga of How the GOP Went Crazy – Mother Jones

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    last year

2/3 of Democrats believe Russia changed vote counts in 2016.

More than a 1/3 of liberals think 10,000 unarmed black people are killed a year by police and more than half believe the number is more  than a 1,000.  (the actual number is around  10).

Liberals have significantly  more mental health problems than conservatives.

etc etc..

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    last year
2/3 of Democrats believe Russia changed vote counts in 2016.

If anyone believes that the illegal hacking and release of the DNC emails and the $1.25M a month Russia spent on fake social media ads vilifying Hillary and praising Trump didn't have some sort of effect on the 2016 election, they should go get their head examined because they're clearly having mental problems. Can we ever prove definitively that a "vote was changed"? No, and neither can a business prove that their TV commercial convinced a specific buyer to buy their product, yet they keep spending money on those advertisements. Why? Because they know it does have an overall effect on consumers and even if a consumer doesn't know they were effected, the business knows that studies have shown just hearing the business name may be enough to trigger an increase in sales. Sadly this fact is apparently hard to understand for those who are invested in believing Trump is some sort of second coming of Christ. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    last year

“Liberals have significantly  more mental health problems than conservatives.”

Interesting take. Cite? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.2    last year

Don't hold your breath on that.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.1    last year

Isn't that what they call "marketing"?

Seems the Russian troll farms were excelling in it

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.2    last year

Actually I believe that and I'll tell you why

constantly going up against someone who can't see the truth even after it's bit them on the ass is frustrating. Frustration leads to exasperation and exasperation leads to stress. Stress can lead to mental health issues

Basically...the conservatives are driving liberals crazy with their crazy theories and outrageous behavior

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.1    last year

1.25M a month Russia spent on fake social media ads vilifying Hillary and praising Trump didn't have some sort of effect on the 2016 electio

Lol, not only are you peddling false information about the Russian social media ad buy, it totaled  thousands of dollars and was  completely amateurish, but you are also resorting to attacking a strawman.

2/3 of progressives believe the Russians literally changed vote counts.  . 

dly this fact is apparently hard to understand f

It's really not if you understand grade school level English. Tampered with vote tallies doesn't mean "changed someone's mind."

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.2    last year
Interesting take. Cite? 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
5.1.8  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.7    last year

Well that's a crappy source. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @5.1.8    last year

for fucks sake.  Its citing Pew Research. 

The Ostrich defense is really something. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
5.1.10  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.9    last year

Then use a link from a reputable source citing Pew Research instead of a fucking low credibility magazine that no one is going to read because the source is awful for fucks sake.   

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.6    last year
Lol, not only are you peddling false information about the Russian social media ad buy, it totaled  thousands of dollars and was  completely amateurish, but you are also resorting to attacking a strawman.

It really must be exhausting to be sooooooo fucking wrong so often.

" the Department of Justice announced criminal charges against 13 Russians for interfering in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Special counsel Robert Mueller accused the 13 — plus three Russian entities, including the infamous Internet Research Agency “troll farm” — of carrying out a wide-ranging disinformation campaign that involved stolen identities, fake social media accounts, and even a bizarre White House birthday subterfuge." " The endeavor" " had a budget of $1.25 million a month, allowing it to pay hundreds of operatives to engage in a surreal campaign meant to interfere in American democracy that appears to have been financed in part through a catering company"

This Is What $1.25 Million Dollars a Month Bought the Russians – Foreign Policy

"A notorious Russian "troll factory" had a $1.25 million budget in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election to interfere in the US political system, according to  charges filed  by the Department of Justice."

Russian Troll Farm Indicted by Mueller Had Multi-Million Dollar Budget (businessinsider.com)

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.12  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.2    last year
Interesting take. Cite? 

I'd only be interested in the data from 11/16 until now...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.11    last year
ally must be exhausting to be sooooooo fucking wrong so ofte

Lol. Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? From a left wing source no less:

The most glaring data point is how minimally Russian social-media activity pertained to the 2016 campaign. The New Knowledge report acknowledges that evaluating IRA content “purely based on whether it definitively swung the election is too narrow a focus,” as the “explicitly political content was a small percentage.” To be exact, just “11% of the total content” attributed to the IRA and 33 percent of user engagement with it “was related to the election.” The IRA’s posts “were minimally about the candidates,” with “roughly 6% of tweets, 18% of Instagram posts, and 7% of Facebook posts” having “mentioned Trump or Clinton by name.

Also hurting the case that the Russians reached a large number of Americans is that they spent such a microscopic amount of money to do it. Oxford puts the IRA’s Facebook spending between 2015 and 2017 at just $73,711. As was previously known, about $46,000 was spent on Russian-linked Facebook ads before the 2016 election. That amounts to about 0.05 percent of the $81 million spent on Facebook ads by the Clinton and Trump campaigns combined. A  recent disclosure by Google  that Russian-linked accounts spent $4,700 on platforms in 2016 only underscores how minuscule that spending was . The researchers also claim that the IRA’s “manipulation of American political discourse had a budget that exceeded $25 million USD.” But that number is based on a widely repeated error that mistakes the  IRA’s spending on US-related activities  for  its parent project’s overall global budget , including domestic social-media activity in Russia.

nother reason to question the operation’s sophistication can be found by simply looking at its offerings. The IRA’s most shared pre-election Facebook post was a cartoon of a gun-wielding Yosemite Sam . Over on Instagram, the best-received image urged users to give it a “Like” if they believe in Jesus. The top IRA post on Facebook before the election to mention Hillary Clinton was a conspiratorial screed about voter fraud . It’s telling that those who are so certain Russian social-media posts affected the 2016 election never cite the posts that they think actually helped achieve that end. The actual content of those posts might explain why.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    last year

As we see, all they have left is lame attempts at establishing "equivalency" between the insane far right and those who thought Clinton lost because of Russian interference in 2016. There is no such "equivalency". 

The writer Tom Nichols was on Morning Joe this morning. He says we are in danger because of the complacency that is prevalent among the American people in the face of right wing extremism, particularly trumpism and that cult. 

The complacency does not come from the left or the right though, it comes from the middle. The "silent majority" is remaining silent far too long, to the detriment of our country. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    last year

Why are they crazy? It all comes back to fear of losing "their" country. Many MAGA despise multiculturalism yet know they are powerless to stop it. This predicament has led to extremely strange behavior and ideas from the right. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3    last year
Many MAGA despise multiculturalism yet know they are powerless to stop it.

It's why so many of their pandering leaders are now claiming "wokeness" is some sort of mental virus but are incapable of actually defining what "woke" means.

‘Anti-Woke’ Author Who Can’t Define ‘Woke’ Goes Viral (forbes.com)

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3    last year
Why are they crazy?

The irony of that question is interesting at least.

It all comes back to fear of losing "their" country. Many MAGA despise multiculturalism yet know they are powerless to stop it. This predicament has led to extremely strange behavior and ideas from the right. 

It's also interesting to see you declare you know what these people are thinking when you've clearly never met any.

The resistance to "woke" is quite simple.  When you march around calling people evil and demanding they change their behavior to accommodate your feelings, you piss them off.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @5.3.2    last year
When you march around calling people evil and demanding they change their behavior to accommodate your feelings, you piss them off.

Yes, it does. I know that feeling

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.3.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3.3    last year
Yes, it does. I know that feeling

Right?

The irony you see when you back away from it is that "woke" is a religious zealotry that almost exactly mirrors what fundamentalist Christians have been demonstrating for centuries.   They are simply two sides of the same coin.

Whenever my church friends complain about "cancel culture", I just laugh. 

My response is generally along the lines of "we've canceled drinking, dancing, rock music, any form of sex outside of marriage, foul language, businesses being open on Sundays, pornography, things that aren't really pornography but our mothers don't want us looking at, R rated movies and Disney Princesses.  And that's just in my lifetime.  These "woke" people are rank amateurs.  They need to watch and learn how the professionals do it."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @5.3.4    last year
These "woke" people are rank amateurs.  They need to watch and learn how the professionals do it."

That cracked me up

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.3.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3.5    last year

I forgot about canceling Teletubbies.  We canceled Teletubbies.  And Barney.  

Basically... people were happy, and that shit needed to stop.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3.3    last year

I know that feeling as well.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @5.3.6    last year

Barney got canceled??? Are you sure? Because he didn't get canceled soon enough for my son

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.3.10  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3.9    last year
Barney got canceled??? Are you sure?

In batshit fundamentalist circles, yeah.

In early episodes, there was a transition thing where Barney appeared as a result of the kids using their imagination together.

A few preachers likened it to "conjuring a spirit", and tried to tell people not to let their kids watch a satanic program.

No, I'm not actually kidding and yes, what the actual fuck.

But notice the pattern.  ANY new thing that isn't controlled by the religious zealots is condemned, no matter how idiotic that condemnation may be.

It's the same pattern we see with the Church of Woke, which is why they piss off so many people.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @5.3.10    last year

Good grief! I think these people should spend less time in their bibles and more time in the real world

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.3.12  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3.11    last year
Good grief! I think these people should spend less time in their bibles and more time in the real world

No no no.  Every time they go into the real world they just find something else to condemn..... just like the wokesters.

They need to just keep that shit to themselves and stop trying to interfere with everybody else's lives.... as do the wokesters.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    last year

[Deleted]

George
Junior Expert
6.1  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year

[Deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year

[Deleted]