╌>

Cohen says Trump calls for protest against Manhattan DA probe signals desire for 'violent clash' on his behalf | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  46 comments

By:   Julia Shapero (The Hill)

Cohen says Trump calls for protest against Manhattan DA probe signals desire for 'violent clash' on his behalf | The Hill
Former Trump attorney Michael Cohen said on Saturday that former President Trump's calls for a protest against the Manhattan district attorney's probe signals a desire for "another violent clash" on his behalf. "It's eerily similar to the battle cry that he put out just prior to the January 6th insurrection, you know, especially including the…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Julia Shapero - 03/18/23 5:29 PM ET

Former Trump attorney Michael Cohen said on Saturday that former President Trump's calls for a protest against the Manhattan district attorney's probe signals a desire for "another violent clash" on his behalf.

"It's eerily similar to the battle cry that he put out just prior to the January 6th insurrection, you know, especially including the call, you know, for protest," Cohen said in an interview with MSNBC. "And I agree … it would have been smart for Donald to write 'peaceful protest,' but he doesn't want a peaceful protest."

Trump said in a post on Truth Social earlier in the day that he expects to be arrested next week as part of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's investigation into a hush-money payment made to adult film star Stormy Daniels during his 2016 campaign.

The former president claimed that "illegal leaks" indicate that "the far & away leading Republican candidate & former president of the United States of America, will be arrested on Tuesday of next week" and called for his supporters to protest and "take our nation back."

Cohen, who testified before the New York grand jury earlier this week, made a $130,000 payment to Daniels shortly before the 2016 election to buy her silence about an alleged affair with Trump.

The former president's longtime fixer pleaded guilty in 2018 to violating campaign finance laws in connection with the hush-money payment.

Cohen told MSNBC on Saturday that Trump or his team was likely contacted by the district attorney's office, rather than gaining the information via "leaks" as the former president suggested in his post.

"Knowing Donald the way that I do, I don't see a reason that Donald would have put out the statement unless he has, or his team, has been contacted by the district attorney's office and advised accordingly," Cohen said.

"This is exactly him reacting to information that he has and not leaks, as he would like to say, by the district attorney's office," he added. "There is no leaks coming out of the DA's office, that I can tell you for sure. This is all coming out of Trump camp."

He also suggested that Trump's calls for a protest likely stem from the belief that it could give his 2024 campaign a boost.

"These fools that are representing him, this clown show of lawyers, what they believe is that this will propel him into the White House by having another violent insurrection," Cohen said.

"But more importantly for Donald, it's all about the great grift," he continued. "He will look to profit from this action by soliciting contributions in order to protect him, your favorite president from the racist Alvin Bragg and all of the, you know, left wingers."

Tags Alvin Bragg Alvin Bragg Donald Trump Manhattan Manhattan District Attorney Michael Cohen Michael Cohen MSNBC New York Stormy Daniels Stormy Daniels

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Next comes Trump's perp walks and mug shots.

Plural

New York, Atlanta and Washington are coming...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1    last year
Next comes Trump's perp walks

Unlikely,

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1    last year

You are right. He'll slither in in darkness...

Pro and anti Trump protests are planned.

Maybe Bragg meets him, with handcuffs!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    last year

Maybe, Bragg can use some good publicity.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.2    last year

Why? Because MAGA hate him? Nope...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @1.1.3    last year

Do some research- Bragg is one of the worst DA's in the US- which is saying a lot with all of the Soros rejects out there.

But Bragg’s own decisions clearly drive much of the troubling data: His office has downgraded 52% of felony cases to misdemeanors, vs. 39% in 2019. The office under Vance from 2013 onward never downgraded more than 40% of felony cases.

The new DA’s  infamous “Day One” memo  plainly explains much of this, as it ordered prosecutors to downgrade felony charges in cases including armed robberies and drug dealing, as well as to stop seeking prison sentences in many crimes. And while Bragg later backed off on a couple of fronts , most of the memo still stands.

Plus, you’d expect that pressing fewer felony charges would lead to a higher conviction rate, not the 17-percentage-point drop from 2019 to 2022. But the office has lost some of its top talent as experienced prosecutors resign rather than work under Bragg’s rules. Are the new recruits, who presumably embrace his philosophy, less able and/or motivated?

Bragg is the epitome of George Soros DA's.

Meanwhile, Bragg jailed and sought murder charges against bodega clerk Jose Alba in the death of a crazed customer who’d attacked him. The DA backed down only in the face of public fury. Manhattan crime rates are up through Nov. 20 over the same period last year by 38% in Manhattan South and 17% in Manhattan North. We can’t say how much of that is on Bragg, but a DA who’s eager to get tough on the victims and show mercy to the real bad guys is plainly a huge part of the problem.

Punish victims and reward criminals. The Democrat motto.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.4    last year

Who says Putin isn't still in Trump's corner?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @1    last year
Next comes Trump's perp walks and mug shots.

Been hearing that for 6 years now.  Every time it's ended in failure.  I'm guessing, with the history of the TDS driven, this will end the same.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2    last year

No ex-president has ever been indicted,

Until tomorrow...

original

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @1.2.1    last year
No ex-president has ever been indicted

Doesn't change what I said.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2    last year

Bragg will be the next in line of the many TDS ridden east coast liberals shot down in flames by Trump.     Crash and burn Mav, completely augered in .....

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.3    last year
Bragg will be the next in line of the many TDS ridden east coast liberals shot down in flames by Trump.

And we'll see another round of whining and crying from the rest of the TDS community.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    last year

I'm not going to hold my breath but am hoping against hope that the dominoes will finally start to fall.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2    last year

[deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    last year

I am confident that this will simply embolden MAGA sycophants.    In the grand scheme, it is counterproductive.   I would much prefer Trump be indicted for his Big Lie campaign and fallout of same.   That at least is productive for our nation as a whole.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @3    last year

Considering no ex-president was ever indicted.

I've got to say at least it is a start for Trump...

After all this not the only indictment coming.

New York wants the first shot at nailing him!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @3.1    last year

Hard to say, JBB.    I would not be shocked if the DoJ has made a political calculation resulting in no indictment for Trump.   After all, it is better for the Ds if Trump has GOP power.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    last year

I do not believe that is an issue for Dems.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    last year

Interesting.    

So you think todays DOJ is biased in favor of Dems?

I agree.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.3    last year

I am of the opinion that the DoJ leadership will naturally be biased towards the party holding the presidency and/or most political power in Congress.

It is an unfortunate consequence of the highly partisan nature of our times.  

In short, and in general, justice is influenced by politics (and power).

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.4    last year

Except if the DOJ harbors a bias then that is reason to end the DOJ as we know it.  Was Bill Barr biased?  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  JBB @3.1.2    last year

But it is an issue for republicans.  And they have stated as such.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.5    last year
Was Bill Barr biased?  

I do not know the man personally, but if he was not biased towards the GOP and Trump then he would have been quite a rare government official.

I do think Barr has as much integrity as anyone operating in this realm, but your question reads as though Barr is either entirely unbiased (purely objective) or entirely biased.   I think he (like everyone else) is between those extremes and leans more towards objective. 

But, sure, I expect that Barr made decisions considering the political impact and that he favored the GOP.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.4    last year

So the DOJ is basically an oxymoron eh?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.8    last year

Reality is not all nice and neat like a fairy tale.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.9    last year

Lol .... that is hilarious coming from the left.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.7    last year

Barr is a right wing ideologue who thought he could use Trump to advance his ultra conservative legal theories. He was willing to suffer Trump as long as he had influence along those lines. When it fell apart he turned on Trump. I dont think Barr is all that honorable of a guy. He also deliberately misrepresented the Mueller Report, which was a travesty on his part. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    last year

And now it begins.  We shall see if the MAGA is willing to do 'anything and everything' to protect Donald J. Trump.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  TᵢG  replied to  bbl-1 @4    last year

They are.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @4    last year

Nah but the TDS ridden are certainly willing to do whatever it takes to bring him down.    Lie, cheat, deflect, propagandize, obfuscate..... whatever it takes.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    last year

Except the 'TDS' only applies to those that believe, trust and idolize the Mar-a-Lago man.  There lies the derangement.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.1    last year

Opinions do vary, greatly in this case.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  bbl-1  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.2    last year

I don't worship him.  I don't have a derangement syndrome.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.3    last year

Misuse of words like “worship” and “derangement” is just part and parcel of being a triggered, TDS ridden liberal.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  bbl-1  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.4    last year

Nor do I make excuses and deflect for 'the Mar-a-Lago' man at every opportunity.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @4.2.5    last year

Duh ..... exactly what one would expect of the TDS ridden.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5  Snuffy    last year

It's amazing the number of people who want to believe a convicted felon with nothing to really back himself up.  

If Trump is indicted I doubt very much that he will be seen handcuffed and perp-walked as so many people want to see.  Instead the Secret Service will coordinate a place for Trump to surrender and it will all be behind the scenes.  Regardless of your feelings or opinions of the man, he is still an ex President and as such does deserve some consideration.

I'm waiting to see if an indictment is handed down and wondering what the charges might be.  There's been guesses made but that's all they are is guesses.  From book keeping to campaign finance violations.  As Bragg is a local DA I suspect any charges are more in line with book keeping issues as campaign finance issues are really a federal matter and the FEC would be the outfit to charge him in that case (and those issues usually result in a fine).  

Of course if charges come out, then everything gets handed over to the defense and that's where it really gets crazy.  Would still need to go thru a court of law and if the strongest witnesses are a convicted and admitted felon and Stormy Daniels who was also on record a few times saying the "affair" did not happen,  who knows how it will end up.  But for all the prognostication going on, somehow I doubt it will really end up with prison time.  But we shall see.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    last year

Cohen cracks me up. He calls the current coven of attorneys clowns but wasn't part of that clown show?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

Trump grand jury hearing canceled ahead of possible indictment:  

Wonder what the excuses will be for this one.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7    last year

Perhaps assuring the safety of those sitting on the grand jury (which is you and me) and those bringing the charges (following the procedure regardless of the outside noise).

The clarion call has already been sounded by the fearful leader. An abundance of caution is most certainly warranted. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1    last year

After all the security they put in place, unlikely.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.1    last year

Not to mention how many Trump supporters showed up in Manhatton?  From what I read very few.  Guess he's not as popular as the left would make him out to be.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Snuffy @7.1.2    last year

They were all at Mar A Largo and according to recent polls he's very popular in the gop.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @7.1.2    last year
Guess he's not as popular as the left would make him out to be.

He IS popular with the left...

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.3    last year
They were all at Mar A Largo and according to recent polls he's very popular in the gop.

Do  you have any reporting that shows how many have been at Mar-a-Lago?  I'm not finding reporting that shows large numbers at all.

On the bridge leading to Donald Trump’s doorstep and some of America’s wealthiest, most perfectly-shrubbed waterfront estates, a man in a red, white and blue cape shouted via bullhorn about the deep state. Behind him, pickup trucks flying enough flags to block out the sun blasted classic Skynyrd.

Wearing neatly tucked T-shirts in muted colors and golf hats, a retired couple watched from the sidewalk across the street.

“We come down once in a while to see the show,” said Mike Jone, nodding toward the MAGA gathering that typifies this traffic-choked strip of Southern Boulevard approximately 600 feet from the entrance to Trump’s property. “We are what we are — we are Republicans — but we’re not into that .”

The former president’s ability to mobilize masses of supporters, at least from the Jones’ vantage point, showed signs of wear-and-tear in buttoned-up Palm Beach.

“This is quiet,” said Freda Jone. “There were a lot of people when he was running. A lot of people after the raid.”

Or this

A few supporters of former President Donald Trump met outside Mar-a-Lago on Tuesday to show their support amid fears of an indictment.

This reporting seems to indicate larger crowds but even they don't give any numbers.  But they have several carefully framed pictures to try to indicate a larger number of people.

Supporters of Trump gathered outside of Mar-a-Lago with paraphernalia and flags related to the former president and played music on the side of the road.

TBH I'm not sure just how popular he really is in the GOP.  His overall favorable rating really hasn't changed all that much in the past seven years and I would say that his unfavorable rating has increased.  He's the current leader in polling for the GOP nomination, DeSantis stepped on the ol crank with his commentary on Ukraine and that hurt his polling numbers.  I think that will change as we get further into summer and DeSantis actually declares for the race.  But we shall see.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @7.1.2    last year
Guess he's not as popular as the left would make him out to be.

OOOO..orange baby man isn't going to like that....