╌>

Disney World Defies Ron DeSantis by Hosting Gay Rights Summit in Florida

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilgenius  •  last year  •  164 comments

By:   James Bickerton (Newsweek)

In February 2022 Disney came out in opposition to the Florida GOP's "don't say gay" bill, sparking a backlash from DeSantis.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S.Ron DeSantisDisney WorldLGBTQ rightsFlorida

The Walt Disney World Resort in Florida is scheduled to host what has been billed as the "largest LGBTQ+ conference in the world" later this year, in a move that could trigger conflict with Governor Ron DeSantis who has already clashed with the entertainment behemoth over LGBTQ rights.

Out & Equal, a group that campaigns for gay, lesbian and transgender rights in the workplace, is due to hold its 2023 workplace summit at the resort, from September 11-14.

In February, DeSantis signed into law a bill appointing a five-person board to oversee Reedy Creek Improvement District, which Disney has managed as a largely self-governing authority over the past 50 years.

The move followed a statement from Disney criticizing DeSantis's Parental Rights in Education legislation, dubbed the "Don't Say Gay Bill" by critics. Under this legislation, any discussion of sexual orientation or gender identity is banned in Florida's schools, up until the fourth grade.

composite-mickey-mouse-ron-desantis.jpg?w=790&f=a3d1e0db0072f2b803ae01dd9e15a26b L: Mickey Mouse at Disneyland, located in Anaheim, California in 2008. R: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis delivers the "State of the State" address at the Florida State Capitol in Tallahassee, Florida on March 7, 2023. The Walt Disney World Resort in Florida is due to host the "largest LGBTQ+ conference in the world" later this year, having already clashed with DeSantis over LGBTQ rights. Kevin Winter/CHENEY ORR/AFP via Getty Images

According to Out & Equal's website, around 5,000 people are expected to attend its workplace summit in September, which it describes as "the preferred place to network and share strategies that create inclusive workplaces, where everyone belongs and where LGBTQ+ employees can be out and thrive."

Out & Equal lists the Walt Disney Company as a top-tier "titanium" supporter, along with other major brands including Apple, Uber and Bank of America.

Other companies listed as supporters at lower tiers include Mcdonald's, IBM, Walmart, Google and Visa. Government bodies, including the Central Intelligence Agency and the U.S. Department of State, are also included in the list with the Miami Herald reporting they will have booths at the conference.

Newsweek reached out to the Walt Disney Company and Governor DeSantis via email for comment.

The conflict between Disney and DeSantis began in March 2022, when the corporation issued a statement saying Florida bill HB 1557, dubbed "Don't Say Gay," "should never have passed and should never have been signed into law."

"Our goal as a company is for this law to be repealed by the legislature or struck down in the courts, and we remain committed to supporting the national and state organizations working to achieve that," Disney said.

In response, DeSantis moved to restrict Disney's control over the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Initially, he wanted to strip the company of its special tax status, but this was dropped and DeSantis instead took full control over appointments to an oversight board last month.

Announcing the change the Florida governor said: "The corporate kingdom finally comes to an end. There's a new sheriff in town, and accountability will be the order of the day."

DeSantis is widely regarded as Donald Trump's most dangerous opponent in his bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, though he has yet to formally announce his candidacy.

Walt Disney World Resort president Jeff Vahle said the company was "ready to work within this new framework."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    last year

Good for Disney!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1    last year

wussolini gets taken down by an almost 100 year old cartoon mouse...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

And yet DeSantis remains the popular governor of Florida!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    last year

That doesn't speak well of Florida.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    last year
That doesn't speak well of Florida.

Sure it does.

I guess some want to deny the results of the election in which he won in a landslide.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    last year
Sure it does.

Not even a little, 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    last year

Unlike some, I respect the voters.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    last year

So? That doesn't really mean anything. It simply does not speak well of the voters. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.6    last year

Of course a liberal would claim such nonsense.

I guess all the talk about the threats to democracy are just so much talk when liberals disparage whole states for their votes!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    last year

You erroneously presume I am a liberal. But that is incorrect. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.8    last year

Talk like a liberal and expose yourself.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.9    last year

And you are still wrong. Funny how you have to try and make things a liberal/conservative thing when that is not the issue.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.10    last year
And you are still wrong.

No.

Funny how you have to try and make things a liberal/conservative thing when that is not the issue.

Right.

/s

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    last year
No.

Yes! 

Right.

A failure on your part.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.12    last year

I'll give you an "A" for persistence.

An "F" for content.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    last year

Projection.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    last year

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.14    last year
Projection.

otherwise known as fact to the rest of the world.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.17  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.16    last year

You seem to be making up your own facts, which is as good as lying. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.17    last year
You seem to be making up your own facts,

LOL.

Typical weak response.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
1.1.19  Right Down the Center  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.6    last year

Biden winning does not speak well of the voters. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.19    last year

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.21  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.18    last year

More projection.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.22  Gordy327  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.19    last year

I never said it did. 

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
1.1.23  Right Down the Center  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.22    last year

I never said you said it did. Your turn.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.24  Gordy327  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.23    last year

Then why even bring up Biden when he's not the focus of discussion?

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
1.1.25  Right Down the Center  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.24    last year

1. Because I chose to.

2. You made a comment on something that made voters look bad.  My comment was about something that made the voters look bad.  I see a connection there.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.26  Gordy327  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.25    last year

More like you're making up a connection and veering off topic as Biden is not the focus. But if you want to engage in such tactics, be my guest. It only reflects poorly on you.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
1.1.27  Right Down the Center  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.26    last year

It only reflects poorly on you.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Tessylo  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1.25    last year

Biden winning reflects very well on those who voted for them.

I bet you voted for the former 'president'.  That doesn't reflect very well at all on those who voted for him.

I would be ashamed to admit it, voting for #45 that is.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year

Ha, great, and the author of the ''don't say gay'' bill, Joe Harding had to resign and has

been indicted on various criminal charges.

Florida’s ‘don’t say gay’ bill author indicted for money laundering

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2    last year

There never was a "Don't say Gay" bill so why keep perpetrating a lie?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    last year

Since it's the headline of the linked article it is what it is. Best take your complaint to The Guardian.

And speaking of lying, Joe Harding is in hot water over not only cheating but lying.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    last year
Since it's the headline of the linked article it is what it is.

Also incorrect.

Here is the REAL headline:

Disney World Defies Ron DeSantis By Hosting Gay Rights Summit In Florida

Note that NO mention of "Don't Say Gay" is even there.

Instead of bitching to The Guardian about the headline, I will address the folks who get it wrong.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    last year
Here is the REAL headline:
Disney World Defies Ron DeSantis By Hosting Gay Rights Summit In Florida
Note that NO mention of "Don't Say Gay" is even there.

Believe what you chose to believe.

This headline and the complete article.

Florida’s ‘don’t say gay’ bill author indicted for money laundering

This article is more than 3 months old

Federal grand jury also charged Republican lawmaker Joe Harding with ‘fraudulently obtaining’ $150,000 in Covid relief funds

Wed 7 Dec 2022 20.26 EST

A federal grand jury has   indicted   the Florida state representative Joe Harding, the Republican lawmaker who authored the “don’t say gay” bill, for Covid business relief fraud and money laundering, the justice department announced on Wednesday.

Between December 2020 and March 2021, Harding, 35, committed wire fraud when he took part in a “scheme to defraud” the Small Business Administration and obtained Covid-related relief funds for small businesses under false pretenses, according to a federal indictment.

Harding, whose biography   lists him   as a “home healthcare executive” and a member of the Chamber of Commerce, allegedly “fraudulently obtained” more than $150,000 in funds from the Small Business Administration.

Harding’s home health agency is located in Ocala. After state redistricting created a new electorate, Harding moved to Ocala to be closer to his job and ran for house district 24,   according   to Florida Politics. He authored the Parental Rights in Education Act, which prohibits educators from talking about matters of gender and sexual identity in schools in kindergarten through to third grade, a move that advocates worried would “erase” LGBTQ+ students and their history.

Despite uproar and concern from   teachers ,   parents ,   students , lawmakers and advocates alike, Governor Ron DeSantis   signed   the bill into law in March, sparking a   chilling groundswell   of similar legislation throughout the country. At least 137 bills in 36 different states have introduced educational gag order bills in 2022,   according   to an August report by Pen America.

Harding won re-election in that new district in November. But his political future is now uncertain. In a statement, the Florida house speaker Paul Renner   told   Politico that Harding was temporarily removed from committee assignments “to allow him time to focus on this matter”.

Harding, who was released on bond after a preliminary hearing on Tuesday,   told   Politico in a statement that he “fully repaid the loan and cooperated with investigators as requested”. If convicted, Harding faces up to 20 years in federal prison for wire fraud, 10 years for money laundering, and five years for making false statements.

This article was amended on 9 December 2022 to clarify that the Parental Rights in Education Act applies only to pupils in kindergarten through to third grade.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    last year

Deflection Alert!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    last year

Perhaps you should click on the "seeded content" button and learn that it says this"

BY JAMES BICKERTON ON 3/22/23 AT 9:31 AM EDT
Do take note of the headline for THIS article.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    last year

He's confuzzed. I don't think he realizes the article you linked to is totally different from teh one that EG seeded

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.6    last year

Maybe I am confused as to why someone would deflect to an old article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.6    last year

He's confuzzed. I don't think he realizes the article you linked to is totally different from teh one that EG seeded

That certainly seems to be the case. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    last year
I will address the folks who get it wrong.

gee, you'll get labeled a rino and lose all your superficial friends! eeeek!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.9    last year
gee, you'll get labeled a rino and lose all your superficial friends! eeeek!

Just when I thought I might see an intelligent comment, my hopes are shattered.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    last year

You make me think of Larry Hogan's former Chief of Staff who is now a fugitive from justice, Roy McGrath.  Grifted lots of money.

There's a manhunt out for him now.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2    last year
...the author of the ''don't say gay'' bill, Joe Harding had to resign and has been indicted on various criminal charges.

I've read a couple of stories about this now. His lawyer's defense is pretty funny. 

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.3  goose is back  replied to  Kavika @2    last year
Ha, great, and the author of the ''don't say gay'' bill, Joe Harding had to resign and has

What does this have to do with the seeded article? If you want to talk about Joe Harding getting indicted start a new post. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  goose is back @2.3    last year
What does this have to do with the seeded article?

Both are examples of FL politics. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Kavika   replied to  goose is back @2.3    last year

Well, DUH it is another example of Florida politics. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  goose is back @2.3    last year

You''re not the author of this seed so you don't get to tell others that they're off topic

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.3.3    last year
What does this have to do with the seeded article? If you want to talk about Joe Harding getting indicted start a new post. 

Gee, not a word about off-topic in it!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    last year

What do adults meeting at a conference have to do will a bill that protects 9 years old kid from being sexualized? 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  pat wilson  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    last year

8 and 9 year olds probably don't need lessons on sexual orientation or gender identity but to say they're "being sexualized" is a bit extreme.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    last year

It's all extreme.  It's a non-issue that's been made an issue by the 'right'

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.1.2  afrayedknot  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    last year

“…they're "being sexualized"…

….as opposed to ‘the boys will be boys’ excuse we all grew up with and some refuse to grow out of. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    last year
8 and 9 year olds probably don't need lessons on sexual orientation or gender identity 

I think that's the entire point of the law, TBH.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.3    last year

sexualize

verb

sex·​u·​al·​ize   ˈsek-sh(ə-)wə-ˌlīz   
ˈsek-shə-ˌlīz
sexualized ;   sexualizing

transitive verb

:   to make   sexual   :   endow with a sexual character or cast
Do you think that was happening to 9 year olds when sexual orientation or gender identity was discussed ?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.4    last year
Do you think that was happening to 9 year olds when sexual orientation or gender identity was discussed ?

I never said that.

I do believe, however, that there are topics and experiences that are inappropriate for kids that age. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  CB  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    last year

Food for thought:

Many LGBTQ babes/children/youth do not have affirmation early in their lives in-house. Thus, they suffer in silence alone and in the community. Schools/staff try to diffuse the cultural absence of support and overabundance of violence, battery, and smothering in heterosexuality just to make mothers/fathers/familial folks/family fiends comfortable with the direction of a homosexual individual.

BTW, kids by design/intent/commonality are inundated with heterosexual truths in our cultural, legal system, and world religions. Heterosexuality is everywhere supported and encouraged in civil society, down to the family makeup/model. Critics know that to disturb LGBTQ children and keep them from settling in on who they are as part of the fabric of society will hinder them thinking positive about who they are becoming. It's damn cruel, and its been that way for centuries upon centuries.

Not only does world societies PROMOTE heterosexuality to the ng degree; largely world societies DEMOTE homosexuality at every opportunity, more or less!

Yet, LGBTQ people are expected to follow every other standard of "taxation" in our system of government, while often being denied benefit and being ostracized.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.7  CB  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.4    last year

And these some conservatives meddlers and loud-mouths fail to speak to the obvious: Adults, including parents, talking sexual language and sexualizing children is not only morally tainted and frowned upon it is illegal.

Some conservatives are spreading propaganda and abusing words for gain and to get people who are unaware to let conservatives hold the so-called moral high ground.

Don't let them get away with it!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    last year
It's a non-issue that's been made an issue by the 'right'

Exactly. It's a non-issue and was never really an issue before. Now suddenly it is? It's just an attempt to villify a group over nothing to pander an ignorant and/or bigoted base for votes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    last year
What do adults meeting at a conference have to do will a bill that protects 9 years old kid from being sexualized? 

Nothing, but it affords many on the left a good chance at distortion and lies.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    last year

If you mix them together, they turn into clickbait?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3    last year
If you mix them together, they turn into clickbait?

It worked to get you here.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.2  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @3.3.1    last year
It worked to get you here.

I didn't say it was ineffective.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.3  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3.3.1    last year

meh, it's really not hard to tell in the south who has pornhub.com/gay porn bookmarked...

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.3.4  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @3.3.3    last year

Seems like you know the exact link.

Must be your homepage.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @3.3.4    last year

Must be why someone is an expert on Trump's pubes!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @3.3.3    last year

oh yeah, a double play of projecting comments...

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    last year

I am glad that Disney is standing up to a political bully:  Ron DeSantis.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  CB @4    last year

Yes, they are really standing up to DeSantis. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Holding to what amounts to a jobs seminar and fair. Oh the horror! I am sure DeSantis will have them arrested for sure!

Unless they are planning try and indoctrinate kids, strip, or do other sexual acts in front of children DeSantis won't give a shit. In fact he will be thrilled with the extra income for Florida from the event. Also the tax revenue Disney will now have to pay on the profits. (Remember when leftists were against corporations not paying taxes?)

Go Disney! This won't make up for the garbage films you are putting out; but you are winning points with the Woke!

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    last year
I am sure DeSantis will have them arrested for sure!

We can probably guarantee his secret police will be watching.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    last year

Disney is publicizing its intention to "SAY GAY" all it wants. Damn the trashy republican can be defied. Now, what else can he do in an attempt to hurt Disney?  (Apparently, his political future depends on him being able to 'own' Disney.)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    last year

Where the fuck do these things happen as described in the second paragraph of your nonsense rant there?

It's nuts the way y'all make up shit that you claim is happening which sounds like sick fantasies that you are projecting.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    last year

I can't help but giggle at the seed image with Mickey smiling and waving next to The Grinch who Stole Christmas

Oh...and I spit tea out of my mouth when I read the title....lol...good kjob EG! I really needed that giggle

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    last year

I will say it: Ron DeSantis is political trash, period. Messing around/over with folks who all their lives have had to fight for everything in society they can 'get' makes DeSantis tacky trashy.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @5.1    last year

I doubt if he gives a shit.

When is it normal to teach little kids about sexual orientation and gender identity?

What's next? Giving them illustrated "study aids" showing the most popular sex positions....including gays and lesbians?

Bunch of sick fucks in that Disney organization...hope their taxes get increased.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.1    last year
When is it normal to teach little kids about sexual orientation

When did you learn about moms and dads? That's sexual orientation.

What's next? Giving them illustrated "study aids" showing the most popular sex positions....including gays and lesbians?

If you want to continue to be hyperbolic, we could say some want to give them guns and others want to put them to work so they can earn their keep, but none of that is helpful.

Bunch of sick fucks in that Disney organization...hope their taxes get increased.

Buch of sick fucks that stick their noses in other peoples private business... hope they get voted out of office.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Kavika   replied to  evilone @5.1.2    last year

BINGO

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.1    last year

Don't be ridiculous. It is illegal and unethical to teach kids about sex outside of the bounds of community standards, so that is damn cheap propaganda statement from some conservatives. It is safe/normal to talk about sexuality and gender identity with children who are struggling with themselves (and society surrounding them) as warranted. What is unsafe/abnormal is to turn their suffering or confusion or need into political fodder/noise for an election.

Homosexual CHILDREN have rights too in the state of Florida! And DeSantis is political trash for pretending to care about youth when what he has is a pretext to give his party what it wants in hopes of everybody in Florida voting conservatives (or move out)! Clearly, DeSantis knows there are not enough LGBTQ voters in the state to 'matter' to his control-play over them.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.1    last year

[deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  cjcold  replied to  evilone @5.1.2    last year

My sister was swaddled in a pink blanky. I had a blue blanky.

Sexual orientation begins at birth.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.7  afrayedknot  replied to  cjcold @5.1.6    last year

“My sister was swaddled in a pink blanky. I had a blue blanky.”

As an aside, my youngest son needed a new winter coat before his kindergarten year so we took him shopping and he picked a pink coat.

You cannot imagine the grief we took.

Later that year, his best buddy spent the day with us and when my son was playing with his mom’s old Barbie dolls, his friend told us he wasn’t allowed to play with them. 

My son is now engaged to a wonderful young lady and his friend has been in a long term relationship with an amazing young man. They are friends to the end and we could not be happier for the four of them. 

To apply labels or stereotypes is ignoring the fact that we are all wired differently…magnificently.

And that magnificence should have no judgment attached. 

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    last year
I spit tea out of my mouth when I read the title....lol...good kjob EG! I really needed that giggle

I thought it was funny when I came across it at lunch today. I knew a few of us would get a giggle.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.1  CB  replied to  evilone @5.2    last year

I did not laugh, but I did smile and thought: Just desserts.  And act of defiance against a bully.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    last year

Walt Disney really screwed the pooch when he gave Mickey only four fingers.  I guess he didn’t anticipate that Mickey would ever need to give some asshole the finger.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1  JBB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    last year

When it comes to Desantis and his bullshit anti-woke nonsense Mickey Mouse can still manage to make his real feelings known just fine...

original

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
6.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @6.1    last year
Mickey Mouse can still manage to make his real feelings known just fine...

You do realize Micky is a fictional cartoon character don't you?  He has no feelings.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    last year

But he gave him pants. Poor Donald has to walk around with his feathers dangling in the air

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    last year

Speaking of Donald’s tiny feathers …

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2.1    last year

That's disgusting but I keep coming back to it

Do you really think his pubic hair is blonde?

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.2.3  Veronica  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2.1    last year

Eiiiiiiwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @6.2.3    last year

Shield your eyes!!!!

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.2.5  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.4    last year

Too Late!!!!!!  It is now burned into my brain.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2.1    last year

Oh good grief! Now I can't unsee that. Thanks a lot Hal jrSmiley_85_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.2    last year
Do you really think his pubic hair is blonde?

he had dark hair 40+ years ago, but we'll probably find out in a few weeks...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.2.7    last year
he had dark hair 40+ years ago,

How did you become so knowledgeable about Trump's private parts?

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.9  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.8    last year

elementary. the telltale signs in every maga smile. they don't make black dental floss...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @6.2.7    last year

I thought he was always blond?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.2.9    last year
elementary.

Gee, sounds like you have spent lots of time with his privates.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
6.2.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.8    last year

It makes sense that some peoples weird fascination with everything Trump would eventually lead them between his legs.

Unlike Covid it seems some sicknesses are still getting worse.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.13  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.10    last year
I thought he was always blond?

he wasn't and you can find pictures online of that clown from the 70's and 80's.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @6.2.13    last year

you're right. his hair was brown

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @6.2.12    last year

sick, isn't it 

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.16  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.15    last year

meh, maga is more like a mental illness...

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
6.2.17  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.15    last year
sick, isn't it 

All kinds of sick.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.2.16    last year

Yeah, but what do you classify your knowledge on Trump's pubes as?

Normal??!?!!!!?!?!?!!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.19  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.18    last year

science.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.20  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.2.16    last year

Some sane people might consider your endless fascination with Trump's dick and balls to be JUST a little weird, but you be you!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.2.19    last year
science.

So, how much did Trump's pubes weigh when you checked? How long were the pubes you checked scientifically?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2.22  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.20    last year

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.23  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.21    last year
So, how much did Trump's pubes weigh when you checked? How long were the pubes you checked scientifically?

... check your toothbrush.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.24  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.2.23    last year

Oh, gee, you stole my toothbrush now?

That's okay, I am sure it went to further all that science you do!

I'll get a new one and hope to God that maybe one day you can actually answer a question competently.

Veronica
Professor Guide
7  Veronica    last year

Go Team Mickey.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8  Right Down the Center    last year

Funny how they keep calling it the "Don't say Gay " bill even though the bill itself never says that.  It just shows some people don't seem to have an issue with disinformation as long as it aligns with their narrative.

As for Disney.....Fuck Disney.

universal-studios-globe-936x527.jpeg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    last year
Funny how they keep calling it the "Don't say Gay " bill even though the bill itself never says that.

Facts just get in the way of their hatred.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    last year

Yeah. F--k Disney? Got it. That's not right down the center. Disney cares about people. Yes, that means conservatives and some conservatives too! DeSantis cares about some conservatives/republicans.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.2    last year
Disney cares about people.

Disney cares about money.  

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.2  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.1    last year

And still they don't care about DeSantis' administration benefits of capitalism. And they don't care if homophobic MAGAns (the "collective" MAGA) come to the theme park or not! I'd say Disney is putting it money where its mouth is.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.2.2    last year

Not really. There is no doubt that Disney did a study to see exactly what impact a woke stance would have on their bottom line. To think otherwise is either willful ignorance or just plain ignorance. As far as this particular event I doubt DeSantis really cares much at all.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.4  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.3    last year

You imply that 'woke' won the bottom line 'test' at Disney. Or, will you deny that you are implying this?

I mean, you don't really 'tack' anything up that you plan to let stand longer than one comment - unless it is a defense of republican partisan politics.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.3    last year
There is no doubt that Disney did a study to see exactly what impact a woke stance would have on their bottom line.

No doubt?  Really?  Do you have even a single shred of evidence about this study?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.5    last year
No doubt?  Really?  Do you have even a single shred of evidence about this study?

Do you find it plausible in the least that a huge company wouldn't consider how it's policies would affect the bottom line?

Wouldn't that be rather financially imprudent and a failure to it's investors?

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.7  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.5    last year

Please don't tell me you are so naïve as to think a large publicly held company would not  research how getting involved in politics could effect their bottom line and investors.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.2.4    last year
You imply that 'woke' won the bottom line 'test' at Disney. Or, will you deny that you are implying this?

I wasn't implying it, I was outright saying it.  Disney researched it and came to a conclusion.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.9  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.8    last year

Prove it. Don't just announce it. Go!

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.2.9    last year

Prove to you that a large company in a capitalistic country whose goal is to maximize profit and shareholder wealth actually thought about it before jumping in the political pool. How about you give it a little thought. Believe it or don't believe it. Or pick up a business 101 book.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  CB @8.2.9    last year

Prove it. Don't just announce it. Go!

As you can see, that proof will never be forthcoming.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.10    last year

It wasn't Disney who jumped into the political pool.

It was Dick Santis sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and they let him know.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.13  CB  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.11    last year

Agreed. If it is soooooooo easy to testify to, then RDtC should have an easier time validating his assertion of a woke 'deliverable.' Just produce something from Disney about its decision-making process that is 'woke.'  Those 'lips' are moving, but production is simply not happening.

It is evidence that with the loss of FREEDOM to self-govern such an American institution as Disney World, that Disney has taken a stance for something that goes beyond capitalism. BTW, capitalism is not the issue here, it can't be the only thing worthwhile in life, because as the saying goes money is not the only thing that gives human beings happiness!

Disney has take a stance for the 'little guy.' And for that, the company should be rewarded. Not 'man-handled' by greedy, meddlesome, conservatives who want to repress a minority group with limited power.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.14  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.11    last year

Maybe you can borrow business 101 when he is done with it.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.15  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.12    last year
It wasn't Disney who jumped into the political pool.

It was Disney that first decided to get vocal about a bill that was being passed so once again you are wrong.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.7    last year
Please don't tell me you are so naïve as to think a large publicly held company would not  research how getting involved in politics could effect their bottom line and investors.

How dare you use logic and reason to argue a point!

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.17  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.2.13    last year
If it is soooooooo easy to testify to, then RDtC should have an easier time validating his assertion

I have a feeling that someone that thinks a public company doesn't take profits into consideration can't be convinced of anything they don't already think is true.  And based on all your past posts I have yet to see you change your mind about anything once it is made up no matter how much proof is given.  So once again believe it or don't believe it, I really don't care.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.18  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.16    last year
How dare you use logic and reason to argue a point!

Confuses the shit out of some people

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.19  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.17    last year

That's full of $hit. Your 'base' of ability to agree with truth when it is expressed by anyone is in a word: anemic. Why? Because ACTUALLY what YOU mean when you say "change your mind" means I don't permit the conservative worldview to take hold of me.  As for proof, again, I suggest you 'park' your war-horse and allow it to graze, while you go live your conservative life experience and let a minority community of LGBTQ citizens, DUBBED, "gays" live their freedoms and liberties without collective conservative opining on everything we do and political abuse!

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.20  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.2.19    last year

Have you ever seen a Charlie Brown TV show when the teacher is talking?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.18    last year

I gathered as much from reading the posts here.

For some, it seems to be a perpetual state.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.22  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.20    last year

Ditto.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.2.23  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.14    last year
Maybe you can borrow business 101 when he is done with it.

Trying every excuse you can think of to avoid admitting that you pulled your claim out of your ass.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.2.24  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @8.2.23    last year

Nope

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.2.18    last year

100%!

evilone
Professor Guide
8.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    last year
Funny how they keep calling it the "Don't say Gay " bill even though the bill itself never says that.  It just shows some people don't seem to have an issue with disinformation as long as it aligns with their narrative.

Having issues with "disinformation" is rich coming from partisans that excel at spreading it as long as it aligns with their narrative. It also indicates  you probably didn't read past the headline which is indicative of someone not actually wanting to discuss the article, but only to troll. 

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  evilone @8.3    last year
not actually wanting to discuss the article

So tell me, where in the bill does it state "Don't say Gay"?  If you actually read the bill you would know it doesn't.  Where in the article does it say DeSantis actually has an issue with Disney having the event.  If you actually read the article you would see it says " in a move that could trigger conflict with Governor  Ron DeSantis ".  So it seems that everyone is getting in a twitter over something that may never happen.  Again, if you read the bill you would see it is about what is age appropriate and not about "Don't say Gay" so enjoy trolling because that is all you are doing.

CB
Professor Principal
8.3.2  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.3.1    last year

Enough of this negative bifurcating.  You know what 'dubbing' is or now know what it is. It is the giving of a nickname or a short sometimes facetious name to a thing. It is never that hard to figure out. For example: it is conservatives that DUBBED the AFFORDABLE CARE ACT (ACT) as OBAMA-CARE; the Parents Bill of Rights" by House Republicans which is dubbed "Politics over Parents Act" by Senate Democrats (it likely won't pass the senate upcoming).

Don't behave as thought you can't process the reimagining of bill naming/designating. Surely you can.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.3.2    last year

process the reimagining 

Yes. It is also called spinning or more recently disinformation. So take your condescension to someone else.

CB
Professor Principal
8.3.4  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.3.3    last year

Another dubbing; "Soft money."

What Is Soft Money ?

Soft money is money that is donated to political parties where the purpose is not to promote a specific candidate. Soft money is largely unregulated, and there is no cap on it. Political parties can essentially spend it on whatever they want as long as it fits a generic objective to "increase the vote." Soft money is often called "nonfederal" contributions.

So called, " Soft money " used to buy 'issue ads' ended up focused on one candidate near election time, making it possible to influence an election and a vote for a candidate.

I report. You decide. I don't care how you read it: dubbing names is a D.C. facts. One I am sure you are familiar with and I will be sure to point it out to you the very NEXT time I encounter you 'dubbing' a nickname given by some republican or other politician!

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.3.4    last year

Nice left turn.  It also sounds like you plan to stalk me and that is a bit creepy

CB
Professor Principal
8.3.6  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.3.5    last year

You think of this as "creepy"?  Really! You have a curious take on what creepy is.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.7  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.3.6    last year

I thought democrats were all about validating peoples feelings. It seems not. 

CB
Professor Principal
8.3.8  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.3.7    last year

Relevancy?

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.9  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.3.8    last year

Try reading 8.3.7 again.  It is right there.  If you still don't see it there is nothing I can do to help.

CB
Professor Principal
8.3.10  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.3.9    last year

Please. It feelings that are in play when conservatives steal elections (Bush v. Gore, for all the good it did conservatives and their 'brand') and passions which were in play recently when conservatives staged a siege of the federal capitol under the pretense that conservatives are the citizens for which the constitution was written—alone. Somehow, the fools thought intimidation would win the day, that is until a gun was fired and back-up arrived for the feds.

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.11  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.3.10    last year

Relevancy? You sure do like to bloviate.  

CB
Professor Principal
8.3.12  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.3.11    last year

Stop stalling alread y [derailleur]

00climate-fti-articleLarge.png?quality=90&auto=webp

Right Down the Center
Junior Guide
8.3.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @8.3.12    last year

[Deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    last year
Funny how they keep calling it the "Don't say Gay " bill even though the bill itself never says that.

How else are they going to get the fake ass outrage.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     last year

The original bill was changed in Feb. 2023 to keep the ''special tax district''. DeSantis and the Florida legislature finally figured out that the citizens of Orange and Osceola counties would be on the hook for over $1 billion dollars of bond debt, something that they had been warned about for a year. 

Because the district is being left intact, however, it will keep its tax benefits, including the tax-exempt status of the district’s property.